Suggestions
Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | [Breed] Isari (4/6 fluffy wings)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
4/6 [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/2381455/7#post_32553853]Fluffy wings. [/url] ------ 3/14 [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/sug/2381455/5#post_32167627]Replied to some comments. [/url] ------ 3/4 Changed the breed name, now they are called Isari, which refers to [i]Isaria[/i], a genus of entomopathogenic fungus. (Original: Duma) Also added some doodles of the nymphs. ------ 2/28 Added some content to the breed description, altered the shape of the claw appendage and cleaned up the line art a bit. --------------------- [center]Welp, here we go. [/center]-------------------- [img]https://i.imgur.com/EeSDpJ1.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/gdvLFWS.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/BsHcOiT.jpg[/img] [center][Lightning eye, Stone Jaguar / Turqoise Trail / Cyan Glimmer] [/center][LIST] [*][b]SIZE[/b]: Medium [*][b]RARITY[/b]: Uncommon [*][b]ORIGIN[/b]: Plague [*][b]APPEARANCE[/b]: [/LIST] Isaris have an overall short yet buff body shape. They are extremely muscular, with limbs short and stump-like. Their wings have evolved into a pair of massive, claw-shaped limb. Their triangle-shaped tail is the shortest tail of all dragon breeds. [LIST] [*][b]DIET:[/b] Plant, insect, meat [/LIST]Isaris eat anything they could get: plants (roots, leaves, flowers and fruits), insects, and meat (fresh or rotten). [LIST] [*][b]HABITAT[/b]: [/LIST] Isaris are half burrowers. They use their massive claws to dig tunnels and build their lair underground. They also come to the surface to search for food. Isaris are most abundant around the edge of the Wandering Contagion, Driftwood Drag and the Shattered Plain. [img]https://i.imgur.com/A75aQTX.jpg[/img] [LIST] [*][b]Sexual differentiation[/b] [/LIST][color=grey](The top one is male and the one below is female. )[/color] Typical males have more and longer sensory hairs than females. They tend to have an underbite jaw and singular horn. Females are more often to have double or multiple horns. [LIST] [*][b]Simbiosis[/b] [/LIST] All Isaris carry a type of mysterious fungus. The adult Isaris’ horns are actually the sporocarp of their symbiotic fungus. When Isaris breed, the parents would transfer the spores to the hatchlings to “inoculate” them as soon as they were hatched. It is known that the presence of the fungus is crucial for the nymph's development. The fungus also secretes strong neurotoxin. While it is harmless(?) to their host, it is deadly to other dragons that are foolish enough to ingest a Isari’s blood or flesh. [list] [*][b]Social/personality[/b] [/LIST]Isaris often live in herds, but they don't interact with each other a lot. The nymphs, however, spend a lot of time socializing and playing with each other. Adult Isaris are extremely calm and steady. They generally don’t mind sharing territory, even with dragons of other species. Isaris mind their own business, their lack of aggressiveness is likely to be a direct result of them being totally unconcerned about their surroundings. [img]https://i.imgur.com/NlMEVYW.jpg[/img] [LIST] [*][b]Dormancy/Horn sprouting[/b] [/LIST] Before entering adulthood, Isari nymphs have to go through a period of dormancy. During the dormancy, the nymphs are completely motionless. They hardly breathe, body temperature drops to nearly room temperature, and their horns start to form. [img]https://i.imgur.com/eNCS0cD.jpg[/img] [b]Hatchling[/b] [quote=some note]Isari's both mental and physical state changes drastically after the dormancy. [list][list]Nymph: [/list] [list][list]Personality: Playful, social, curious, excited, vocal. Physiology: Warm, high metabolism rate, clear pupils. [/list][/list] [list][list]Adults: [/list] [list][list]Personality: Calm, steady, focused, unconcerned, quiet. Physiology: Regional heterotherms, low metabolism rate, blurred pupils. [/list][/list][LIST][/quote] [img]https://i.imgur.com/fDiPulO.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/ayt0wKG.jpg[/img] Some doodles. -------------- [quote=Suggestions so far] [LIST] [*](Fixed)More space for secondary gene [*](Fixed)Breed name change: [list][*]Cordyceps (entomopathogenic fungus) II [*]Isaria/Isari/Esaria (entomopathogenic fungus) IIII [*]Ghoulst (for their undead characteristics) I [*]Duma is fine, don't change I [color=lightgrey](The vote count includes my RL friends' vote, so it doesn't entirely reflect the votes in this thread. )[/color] [/list] [/LIST] [/quote]
4/6 Fluffy wings.
3/14 Replied to some comments.

3/4 Changed the breed name, now they are called Isari, which refers to Isaria, a genus of entomopathogenic fungus. (Original: Duma) Also added some doodles of the nymphs.

2/28 Added some content to the breed description, altered the shape of the claw appendage and cleaned up the line art a bit.

Welp, here we go.

EeSDpJ1.jpg
gdvLFWS.jpg
BsHcOiT.jpg
[Lightning eye, Stone Jaguar / Turqoise Trail / Cyan Glimmer]
  • SIZE: Medium
  • RARITY: Uncommon
  • ORIGIN: Plague
  • APPEARANCE:
Isaris have an overall short yet buff body shape. They are extremely muscular, with limbs short and stump-like. Their wings have evolved into a pair of massive, claw-shaped limb. Their triangle-shaped tail is the shortest tail of all dragon breeds.
  • DIET: Plant, insect, meat
Isaris eat anything they could get: plants (roots, leaves, flowers and fruits), insects, and meat (fresh or rotten).
  • HABITAT:
Isaris are half burrowers. They use their massive claws to dig tunnels and build their lair underground. They also come to the surface to search for food. Isaris are most abundant around the edge of the Wandering Contagion, Driftwood Drag and the Shattered Plain.

A75aQTX.jpg
  • Sexual differentiation
(The top one is male and the one below is female. )
Typical males have more and longer sensory hairs than females. They tend to have an underbite jaw and singular horn. Females are more often to have double or multiple horns.

• Simbiosis
All Isaris carry a type of mysterious fungus.
The adult Isaris’ horns are actually the sporocarp of their symbiotic fungus. When Isaris breed, the parents would transfer the spores to the hatchlings to “inoculate” them as soon as they were hatched. It is known that the presence of the fungus is crucial for the nymph's development. The fungus also secretes strong neurotoxin. While it is harmless(?) to their host, it is deadly to other dragons that are foolish enough to ingest a Isari’s blood or flesh.

• Social/personality
Isaris often live in herds, but they don't interact with each other a lot. The nymphs, however, spend a lot of time socializing and playing with each other. Adult Isaris are extremely calm and steady. They generally don’t mind sharing territory, even with dragons of other species. Isaris mind their own business, their lack of aggressiveness is likely to be a direct result of them being totally unconcerned about their surroundings.

NlMEVYW.jpg
  • Dormancy/Horn sprouting
Before entering adulthood, Isari nymphs have to go through a period of dormancy. During the dormancy, the nymphs are completely motionless. They hardly breathe, body temperature drops to nearly room temperature, and their horns start to form.

eNCS0cD.jpg
Hatchling
some note wrote:
Isari's both mental and physical state changes drastically after the dormancy.
    Nymph:
    Personality: Playful, social, curious, excited, vocal.
    Physiology: Warm, high metabolism rate, clear pupils.
    Adults:
    Personality: Calm, steady, focused, unconcerned, quiet.
    Physiology: Regional heterotherms, low metabolism rate, blurred pupils.

fDiPulO.jpg
ayt0wKG.jpg
Some doodles.
Suggestions so far wrote:
  • (Fixed)More space for secondary gene
  • (Fixed)Breed name change:
    • Cordyceps (entomopathogenic fungus) II
    • Isaria/Isari/Esaria (entomopathogenic fungus) IIII
    • Ghoulst (for their undead characteristics) I
    • Duma is fine, don't change I
      (The vote count includes my RL friends' vote, so it doesn't entirely reflect the votes in this thread. )
I know Duma as being a Swahili (?) word for Cheetah.

Perhaps not a good name for this dragon.

To work with FR, it probably needs a FR style name. Which is to say, a recognisable word or a compound name.

I like the look of it though, even if it doesn't look much like what I expect of FR. It's a really nice design.
I know Duma as being a Swahili (?) word for Cheetah.

Perhaps not a good name for this dragon.

To work with FR, it probably needs a FR style name. Which is to say, a recognisable word or a compound name.

I like the look of it though, even if it doesn't look much like what I expect of FR. It's a really nice design.
byGS9bb.png
I run on UK time. Apologies for timezone-related delays in responses.
I actually think it would work with FR's style! Things would have to be tweaked, but having claws instead of wings is really neat, and something I personally enjoy aesthetically. The fungus thing is also creative. :D

Also, I think calling the hatchlings "nymphs" is really adorable, heh!
I actually think it would work with FR's style! Things would have to be tweaked, but having claws instead of wings is really neat, and something I personally enjoy aesthetically. The fungus thing is also creative. :D

Also, I think calling the hatchlings "nymphs" is really adorable, heh!
S6bPlBX.pngqqLBHcq.png3e94Gpa.png
Support! These look really good, especially that shiver-worthy face.

The wings might need to be a little broader and more fin-like for the secondary genes to work, though.
Support! These look really good, especially that shiver-worthy face.

The wings might need to be a little broader and more fin-like for the secondary genes to work, though.
windh4.png
I quite like this breed idea, and the claws can use wing accessories as well, since that sometimes becomes a key point on whether or not a dragon breed can be considered for becoming an official breed for the game
I quite like this breed idea, and the claws can use wing accessories as well, since that sometimes becomes a key point on whether or not a dragon breed can be considered for becoming an official breed for the game
B4_L2.pngl4_book.pngs16_book.pngl19_book.pngkeidrJW.gifc0zcpSx.gifwnVB3MN.pngl5_book.pngm40_book.pngB4_R2.pngBJ6ik2C.png
Greyjoy
I feel you, "Duma" doesn't really sounds like a FR breed name. But it's the best I can come up with so far. It'll have to stick with the name until a better name pops up. T.T

Kibble
Thanks! I quite like calling them nymphs as well, it really gives an alien sort of vibe, which is what I wad aiming for. I just worry that it would be a too obvious reference of anthropoids. Perhaps I'll stick with it when I'm refining their lore.

DemonsOfTheNight
Yeah, I always feel like the ""two wings, two arms and two legs" rule can actually be adapt with more flexibilities. Anatomy wise they are still wings, but they don't necessarily have to be shaped like wings!

WyvernVenom
I get what you're saying, the room for secondary gene is a bit too small. But they'll look really bulky if I keep increasing the size of the claws. I might need to come up with an alternative way to fit in more space for secondary gene.
Greyjoy
I feel you, "Duma" doesn't really sounds like a FR breed name. But it's the best I can come up with so far. It'll have to stick with the name until a better name pops up. T.T

Kibble
Thanks! I quite like calling them nymphs as well, it really gives an alien sort of vibe, which is what I wad aiming for. I just worry that it would be a too obvious reference of anthropoids. Perhaps I'll stick with it when I'm refining their lore.

DemonsOfTheNight
Yeah, I always feel like the ""two wings, two arms and two legs" rule can actually be adapt with more flexibilities. Anatomy wise they are still wings, but they don't necessarily have to be shaped like wings!

WyvernVenom
I get what you're saying, the room for secondary gene is a bit too small. But they'll look really bulky if I keep increasing the size of the claws. I might need to come up with an alternative way to fit in more space for secondary gene.
I really like your drawings!
Initially I thought it was a Lightning breed, because of the name "Duma" and the nose horn (fungus) looked like a character in the Wurr webcomic that had a nose horn thing that attracted/caused lightning.
But anyway, I really like the concept, and being a parasitized/symbiotic dragon definitely fits the plague idea. We need more chunky dragons on this site, especially ones with cute round faces like this one :3
Some other names I might suggest:
Cordyceps (a parasitic fungi that looks like the horn)
or other fungi genus/species/common names? (i don't have time atm to do a bit of research)
I really like your drawings!
Initially I thought it was a Lightning breed, because of the name "Duma" and the nose horn (fungus) looked like a character in the Wurr webcomic that had a nose horn thing that attracted/caused lightning.
But anyway, I really like the concept, and being a parasitized/symbiotic dragon definitely fits the plague idea. We need more chunky dragons on this site, especially ones with cute round faces like this one :3
Some other names I might suggest:
Cordyceps (a parasitic fungi that looks like the horn)
or other fungi genus/species/common names? (i don't have time atm to do a bit of research)
signature_by_stormjumper19-dc6xv6h.pngpixel_dragons_signature_by_stormjumper19-dbej5qb.gifrunic_tech_button_by_stormjumper19-davlskm.png
I love the round face one-horn fungus look & feel. 10/10 would buy this dragon
I love the round face one-horn fungus look & feel. 10/10 would buy this dragon
fr_plaguebanner_by_seepranne-d6ghm2z.gif
Stormdragon
I seriously considered calling them Cordyceps/Isaria when I'm creating them!! I only hesitated for their pronunciations are a bit awkward and the reference to entomopathogenic fungi is really obvious, but their meanings are much more related to the lore of this species!

PrinceRaven
Thanks! :)
Stormdragon
I seriously considered calling them Cordyceps/Isaria when I'm creating them!! I only hesitated for their pronunciations are a bit awkward and the reference to entomopathogenic fungi is really obvious, but their meanings are much more related to the lore of this species!

PrinceRaven
Thanks! :)
I don't think we would have much issues with pronunciation (if it were to be called Cordyceps or Isaria), we have a bunch of items and familiars with odd/hard to pronounce names, specifically Genus names like the Alstroemeria Fox, Ceanothus Brawler. And really to me Cordyceps is easier to read/pronounce than Fuiran, which I know I probably pronounce and spell wrong along with a bunch of others.
But either way again, still love the concept!
I don't think we would have much issues with pronunciation (if it were to be called Cordyceps or Isaria), we have a bunch of items and familiars with odd/hard to pronounce names, specifically Genus names like the Alstroemeria Fox, Ceanothus Brawler. And really to me Cordyceps is easier to read/pronounce than Fuiran, which I know I probably pronounce and spell wrong along with a bunch of others.
But either way again, still love the concept!
signature_by_stormjumper19-dc6xv6h.pngpixel_dragons_signature_by_stormjumper19-dbej5qb.gifrunic_tech_button_by_stormjumper19-davlskm.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8