Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Expand the vistas to the headers
1 2 3 4 5
This was one of my suggestions for increasing forum readability by breaking up the white space, but I think it's still a really neat idea that could add a lot color to the forums. I'm wondering what other people think/any thoughts on improvements. [img]https://imgur.com/2ijDHcG.png[/img] I think it'd be easy to skim through posts because users would have different headers. There is a fade on the right, but it's pretty hard to see with the mockup I did. If there's interest, I can try making other examples. [u]Additional suggestions:[/u] [LIST] [*]Make header choice separate from vista choice so that people can mix and match! (Thanks, inklizard!) [*]Be able to turn off headers for those who would find them distracting. (Thanks, Kaegro) [*]The timestamp can be difficult to see. Either use two colors like the username on the vista or just use black like the numbers. [*]Have the header include the thread topic + timestamp [/LIST] [quote=Additional Examples] [img]https://imgur.com/pvg85M6.png[/img] [img]https://imgur.com/VXVGHeI.png[/img] *The transition from the vista to the header is very sharp, I'm hoping to redo some of these example with a fade for comparison (thanks Starglade!) [/quote]
This was one of my suggestions for increasing forum readability by breaking up the white space, but I think it's still a really neat idea that could add a lot color to the forums. I'm wondering what other people think/any thoughts on improvements.

2ijDHcG.png

I think it'd be easy to skim through posts because users would have different headers. There is a fade on the right, but it's pretty hard to see with the mockup I did. If there's interest, I can try making other examples.

Additional suggestions:
  • Make header choice separate from vista choice so that people can mix and match! (Thanks, inklizard!)
  • Be able to turn off headers for those who would find them distracting. (Thanks, Kaegro)
  • The timestamp can be difficult to see. Either use two colors like the username on the vista or just use black like the numbers.
  • Have the header include the thread topic + timestamp

Additional Examples wrote:
pvg85M6.png

VXVGHeI.png

*The transition from the vista to the header is very sharp, I'm hoping to redo some of these example with a fade for comparison (thanks Starglade!)
60787410.png 57806280.png
this is.....very good.

could we also perhaps choose a different vista from our library to be our header? so that it could be the same or different. since people have been wanting ways to show off more than one vista at a time.
this is.....very good.

could we also perhaps choose a different vista from our library to be our header? so that it could be the same or different. since people have been wanting ways to show off more than one vista at a time.
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
xxxxx 9121892.png
@inklizard

That's a really good idea! The flight vistas from this year and last year match so well with each other, not to mention some coli vistas (Lightning+GW, Arcane+CP, etc).

I'm adding a note about this to the first post, thank you!
@inklizard

That's a really good idea! The flight vistas from this year and last year match so well with each other, not to mention some coli vistas (Lightning+GW, Arcane+CP, etc).

I'm adding a note about this to the first post, thank you!
Not a bad idea. I might prefer a fade in and fade out that way the timestamp is legible.
Not a bad idea. I might prefer a fade in and fade out that way the timestamp is legible.
2-100.png cyclonebadge_by_roraima99-d9eag0l.pngcapture61_by_zaelum-d9oi1nl.pngPJUJhjg.pnglYEUG48.pngCLNrLrC.pngrm9yNEZ.png9MrYbid.pngHtV4l6v.pngui0xQPS.pngI33TcOG.pngNqnGiVx.pngvx0arYx.pngPovrYRj.pngOJR7cTF.pngHDnZafa.png
This would be great! Especially with darker vistas ! It might make it a bit easier to look at for people with light sensitivity!
This would be great! Especially with darker vistas ! It might make it a bit easier to look at for people with light sensitivity!
JKDjx25.png xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxStarshrikes
Ooh, I really like this idea!

Edit- Another idea- what if the vista contributed to the textbox itself as well? Of course it would be very, very subtle (extemely high opacity) but it would not only add some subtle color to text posts but it would be far better than the glaring white as well!

The one example the comes to mind is those people that use templates for their forum post, to pus something like a raincloud or some candles in each corner, with a color that fades down the post with the text in the middle
Ooh, I really like this idea!

Edit- Another idea- what if the vista contributed to the textbox itself as well? Of course it would be very, very subtle (extemely high opacity) but it would not only add some subtle color to text posts but it would be far better than the glaring white as well!

The one example the comes to mind is those people that use templates for their forum post, to pus something like a raincloud or some candles in each corner, with a color that fades down the post with the text in the middle
giphy.gifmFaXmCJ.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings
TwEcIUG.png[/url] Ae0MsB2.png

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
[quote name="daineger" date="2018-02-13 19:31:34" ] Not a bad idea. I might prefer a fade in and fade out that way the timestamp is legible. [/quote] could also be solved by adding a little white border around the timestamp text [img]https://i.imgur.com/4nNoNOd.png[/img] not the best example but you get what i'm trying to convey
daineger wrote on 2018-02-13 19:31:34:
could also be solved by adding a little white border around the timestamp text
4nNoNOd.png
not the best example but you get what i'm trying to convey
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
xxxxx 9121892.png
@daineger

That was something I was really thinking over as well and I'm not perfectly happy with it on the example. However, I really, really don't like the idea of switching the fade in because I feel like that would make it feel unbalanced (if its a left to right fade in) or too truncated (fade in then fade back out). I'd love to make a few more examples to play with it and see if there is a better answer.

@inklizard
I played with that on the example actually! I ended up not changing it because I could make it look good on one picture but it would have to work with a lot of different headers.

It also almost made it..too visible? Right now the timestamp is very subtle.

@Alyxzero
I agree, Right now the forums feel very harsh to look at.
@daineger

That was something I was really thinking over as well and I'm not perfectly happy with it on the example. However, I really, really don't like the idea of switching the fade in because I feel like that would make it feel unbalanced (if its a left to right fade in) or too truncated (fade in then fade back out). I'd love to make a few more examples to play with it and see if there is a better answer.

@inklizard
I played with that on the example actually! I ended up not changing it because I could make it look good on one picture but it would have to work with a lot of different headers.

It also almost made it..too visible? Right now the timestamp is very subtle.

@Alyxzero
I agree, Right now the forums feel very harsh to look at.
i think the timestamp is negligible, to be honest. most of the time it's not that important. the only time it really serves a function is to tell when a thread is a necro, and most people don't pay attention to that anyway unless the content of the thread makes it obvious it's a gravedig.

i can't tell you how many times i've seen posts from like 2016 rise from the depths and since they're on the front page, nobody realizes they've been necroed.

basically, it should be visible, but i don't think it really needs to pop. if you can't read it too well, highlight it.

or the admins can add a little border to it like they did to our usernames. either one works for me.
i think the timestamp is negligible, to be honest. most of the time it's not that important. the only time it really serves a function is to tell when a thread is a necro, and most people don't pay attention to that anyway unless the content of the thread makes it obvious it's a gravedig.

i can't tell you how many times i've seen posts from like 2016 rise from the depths and since they're on the front page, nobody realizes they've been necroed.

basically, it should be visible, but i don't think it really needs to pop. if you can't read it too well, highlight it.

or the admins can add a little border to it like they did to our usernames. either one works for me.
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
xxxxx 9121892.png
@inklizard
To be quite honest I agree with you. Overall I think it's much more pleasant for it to not jump out at you. It's a pretty much take it or leave it for me. The way the headers are drawn can go contribute a lot to readability as well.

(I added a new example to the first post if you want to check it out!)
@inklizard
To be quite honest I agree with you. Overall I think it's much more pleasant for it to not jump out at you. It's a pretty much take it or leave it for me. The way the headers are drawn can go contribute a lot to readability as well.

(I added a new example to the first post if you want to check it out!)
1 2 3 4 5