Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | (New breed!) Plague ( need name ideas)
1 2 3 4
No support. With the current art, there's not enough there to give the breed enough unique characteristics. It really does share to much in common with spirals and kinda reminds me of bogsneaks too (long thick body with stubby legs).
No support. With the current art, there's not enough there to give the breed enough unique characteristics. It really does share to much in common with spirals and kinda reminds me of bogsneaks too (long thick body with stubby legs).
Nobody wants to tell you why discipline is so important. Discipline is the strongest form of self-love. It is ignoring current pleasures for bigger rewards to come. It's loving yourself enough to give yourself everything you've ever wanted.
Um.. I'm pretty sure this is a joke thread. It's literally named "Demon-Kun" and judging by the lore it sounds like a poorly made edgy OC. Sorry if that sounded rude, but if it is a serious suggestion:

No support, for the reasons listed by other people.
Um.. I'm pretty sure this is a joke thread. It's literally named "Demon-Kun" and judging by the lore it sounds like a poorly made edgy OC. Sorry if that sounded rude, but if it is a serious suggestion:

deity_gladekeeper_by_dogi_crimson-dabusrb.gifnature_0.pngnature_1.png9p.png
[quote name="Tiger33621" date=2017-12-25 10:55:58] Edit: hey all! It seems my breed suggestion seems a little like a spiral to others so before you say no support because it looks like a spiral, please don't. I'm remaking the art. I'm also rewriting the lore. [/quote] [font=courier new][size=4][color=maroon]Guys, I think they are remaking the art, so please just be patient and wait for the outcome.
Tiger33621 wrote on 2017-12-25:
Edit: hey all! It seems my breed suggestion seems a little like a spiral to others so before you say no support because it looks like a spiral, please don't. I'm remaking the art. I'm also rewriting the lore.

Guys, I think they are remaking the art, so please just be patient and wait for the outcome.
item_used_cartography_ink_by_dogi_crimson-da9osed.gif
Kyandi
FR Time
She/Her
Art Examples!
Wishlist!
@Ismaiel

I think they meant savage as an adjective, not a noun, which doesn't carry the same connotations and is a perfectly acceptable description of something ferocious and violent, which this breed seems to be, mentions of cannibalism aside.

I agree with their assessment. We don't need another savage dragon breed. We already have Mirrors for that. They occupy that place in FR's lore and it's even in their description.

As for including cannibalism... no, it wouldn't fit with FR's hyper-sanitised setting. We're barely allowed to have anything even vaguely Plague related, we still don't have a proper Plague venue, even. I think cannibalism would be pushing it a bit too far. It would also be needless, because it couldn't possibly be reflected in the food items we have.
@Ismaiel

I think they meant savage as an adjective, not a noun, which doesn't carry the same connotations and is a perfectly acceptable description of something ferocious and violent, which this breed seems to be, mentions of cannibalism aside.

I agree with their assessment. We don't need another savage dragon breed. We already have Mirrors for that. They occupy that place in FR's lore and it's even in their description.

As for including cannibalism... no, it wouldn't fit with FR's hyper-sanitised setting. We're barely allowed to have anything even vaguely Plague related, we still don't have a proper Plague venue, even. I think cannibalism would be pushing it a bit too far. It would also be needless, because it couldn't possibly be reflected in the food items we have.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.

@Greyjoy

I'm sorry if I missunderstood this. Things may have been lost in translation. I just sadly hear way to often that anything not done in our 'typical' western culture is savage and that the people practicing these kind of cultures are 'half animals' so I wanted to clear this up.

Anyway canibalism is not ones 'everyday meal' its a ritual for most. So it would be something lore related rather than depicted - just the same as with imperials. These are half rotten mindlessly destructive undead monsters. I think FR has plenty of shady things in its lore that canibalism is rightfully harmless against this.

I think most people don't quite have the right picture of this. Canibalism isn't ripping some relative appart alive and messy blood and gore everywhere. Even though it seems that this is what people WANT to understand. Canibalism is much much more a practice of using everything nature gave you. To let neither the death of a relative nor of an enemy be wasteful. Its also a practice that might fit plague. But much more would it fit to nature. Its preventing the spread of sickness as opposed to leaving the corpses laying around. Especially in regions where burial and or fire are not available practices to remove deceased (like in rainforests nature has) or where any food is rare so one would not want to waste a life given (which would fit to plague and the anti-wastefulness to nature too).

Not everything needs to be depicted. Otherwise loads of the cuddly little animals we keep around us would be shown eating their own young, memers of their species or - in case of the here pictured dragon canibalism - the canibalizing of other species that are somewhat related but belong to a wholly different group of animals.

All in all I see no problem in including canibalism as lore of a meateater. It fits within FRs themes. You don't even have to look hard for it and it can easily teach probably most of us something about life and nature that we never get really esposed to for the sole reason that this isn't a cultural practice of us.

And having one more breed that does not act like all others is hardly bad? You liken them to mirrors. But mirrors are hunters these hereare not. They 'find' meat. They are scavengers or opportunists. If mirrors are wolves that hunt and form packlike strucktures doing so these here are either vultures or hawks or crows depending on how they part their diet between fresh hunted meat and decaying found bodies. As well as their social behaviour which we don't know anything of besides of mating.

It still stands that the loresnippets of this dragon are a lot more unique than its looks and one should not mix one up with the other. Lorewise these can be unique and different just like a fae is to a tundra or a mirror is to a pearlcatcher. It just needs some work on detailes/other themes. And an art overhaul to make it not spiral2.0

@Greyjoy

I'm sorry if I missunderstood this. Things may have been lost in translation. I just sadly hear way to often that anything not done in our 'typical' western culture is savage and that the people practicing these kind of cultures are 'half animals' so I wanted to clear this up.

Anyway canibalism is not ones 'everyday meal' its a ritual for most. So it would be something lore related rather than depicted - just the same as with imperials. These are half rotten mindlessly destructive undead monsters. I think FR has plenty of shady things in its lore that canibalism is rightfully harmless against this.

I think most people don't quite have the right picture of this. Canibalism isn't ripping some relative appart alive and messy blood and gore everywhere. Even though it seems that this is what people WANT to understand. Canibalism is much much more a practice of using everything nature gave you. To let neither the death of a relative nor of an enemy be wasteful. Its also a practice that might fit plague. But much more would it fit to nature. Its preventing the spread of sickness as opposed to leaving the corpses laying around. Especially in regions where burial and or fire are not available practices to remove deceased (like in rainforests nature has) or where any food is rare so one would not want to waste a life given (which would fit to plague and the anti-wastefulness to nature too).

Not everything needs to be depicted. Otherwise loads of the cuddly little animals we keep around us would be shown eating their own young, memers of their species or - in case of the here pictured dragon canibalism - the canibalizing of other species that are somewhat related but belong to a wholly different group of animals.

All in all I see no problem in including canibalism as lore of a meateater. It fits within FRs themes. You don't even have to look hard for it and it can easily teach probably most of us something about life and nature that we never get really esposed to for the sole reason that this isn't a cultural practice of us.

And having one more breed that does not act like all others is hardly bad? You liken them to mirrors. But mirrors are hunters these hereare not. They 'find' meat. They are scavengers or opportunists. If mirrors are wolves that hunt and form packlike strucktures doing so these here are either vultures or hawks or crows depending on how they part their diet between fresh hunted meat and decaying found bodies. As well as their social behaviour which we don't know anything of besides of mating.

It still stands that the loresnippets of this dragon are a lot more unique than its looks and one should not mix one up with the other. Lorewise these can be unique and different just like a fae is to a tundra or a mirror is to a pearlcatcher. It just needs some work on detailes/other themes. And an art overhaul to make it not spiral2.0
As far as the whole cannibalism thing, the vibe I got from the proposed lore was less like actual ritual cannibalism, and more, y'know, like how some animal species are cannibalistic, in that they will eat whatever is around if they are hungry, regardless of species. [quote name="FelisAries" date=2017-12-26 18:01:09] Um.. I'm pretty sure this is a joke thread. It's literally named "Demon-Kun" and judging by the lore it sounds like a poorly made edgy OC. Sorry if that sounded rude, but if it is a serious suggestion: No support, for the reasons listed by other people. [/quote] You're probably right. (Especially the insistence that they don't look like Spirals...)
As far as the whole cannibalism thing, the vibe I got from the proposed lore was less like actual ritual cannibalism, and more, y'know, like how some animal species are cannibalistic, in that they will eat whatever is around if they are hungry, regardless of species.
FelisAries wrote on 2017-12-26:

You're probably right.
(Especially the insistence that they don't look like Spirals...)
(Please don't ping me in the Suggestions Forum).
[quote name="Ismaiel" date=2017-12-26 09:44:21] [quote name="turtlee" date=2017-12-26 07:20:30] And I just don’t like the idea of a savage breed like that. I mean, this is supposed to be a world of somewhat civilized dragons. Canabalism isn’t “civil”. Maybe I’m not making sense but oh well. [/quote] Careful with calling other cultures savage. Yes canibalism has its own set of problems that I won't go into here (PM me for detailed infos on cultural and medical history of this practice if interested). But allover caniblism was and in some parts of the world still is practiced. And these people are in no way uncivilized - to say so would indicate a rassistic worldview where anything not ones own culture is 'savage' and 'bad' and 'ungodly' (and the many other things people come up with when they degrade other humans to 2nd class beings and "animals"). So being canibalistic is not an indicator for being uncivilized. Neither is hunting or another set of specific culture. Civilisation is quite litterally only defined as having a culture - which can be anything from sozial practices to little quirks that only happen in that group/differ from other groups. Usually non of that is survival inducing but it can stem from a necessary that ensued the survival of the group at an earlier stage. [/quote] I’m sorry, but I believe you’ve misunderstood what I meant. As Greyjoy stated, I was not referring to the ritualistic canibalism that still lives in societies today, but the aspect of a dragon species practicing canibalism naturally. I was not trying to be in any way critical of those practices today, but just pointing out the fact that in a game like Flight Rising a canibalistic breed of dragons wouldn’t really fit. That’s all. Sorry if this is off topic or I’m beating a dead horse, I just felt the need to clear some things up.
Ismaiel wrote on 2017-12-26:
turtlee wrote on 2017-12-26:
And I just don’t like the idea of a savage breed like that. I mean, this is supposed to be a world of somewhat civilized dragons. Canabalism isn’t “civil”. Maybe I’m not making sense but oh well.

Careful with calling other cultures savage. Yes canibalism has its own set of problems that I won't go into here (PM me for detailed infos on cultural and medical history of this practice if interested). But allover caniblism was and in some parts of the world still is practiced. And these people are in no way uncivilized - to say so would indicate a rassistic worldview where anything not ones own culture is 'savage' and 'bad' and 'ungodly' (and the many other things people come up with when they degrade other humans to 2nd class beings and "animals").

So being canibalistic is not an indicator for being uncivilized. Neither is hunting or another set of specific culture. Civilisation is quite litterally only defined as having a culture - which can be anything from sozial practices to little quirks that only happen in that group/differ from other groups. Usually non of that is survival inducing but it can stem from a necessary that ensued the survival of the group at an earlier stage.

I’m sorry, but I believe you’ve misunderstood what I meant. As Greyjoy stated, I was not referring to the ritualistic canibalism that still lives in societies today, but the aspect of a dragon species practicing canibalism naturally. I was not trying to be in any way critical of those practices today, but just pointing out the fact that in a game like Flight Rising a canibalistic breed of dragons wouldn’t really fit. That’s all.

Sorry if this is off topic or I’m beating a dead horse, I just felt the need to clear some things up.
ampharos.png 20 | any pronouns | about me | accents |
[quote name="FelisAries" date=2017-12-26 18:01:09] Um.. I'm pretty sure this is a joke thread. It's literally named "Demon-Kun" and judging by the lore it sounds like a poorly made edgy OC. Sorry if that sounded rude, but if it is a serious suggestion: No support, for the reasons listed by other people. [/quote] No, this isn't a joke thread but if you do have a better name then please do tell.
FelisAries wrote on 2017-12-26:

No, this isn't a joke thread but if you do have a better name then please do tell.
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
As others people have stated, I'm a bit iffy about the cannibalistic bit. Judging by the tone of the description, it's not supposed to be a ritual, but rather a mere result of their hunger and aggressiveness; this specific kind of cannibalism ( "I'm hungry and mean so I'm going to jump on the first dragon I find, crunch, munch!") would not fit well in the FR universe... especially if it's linked to the "feeding frenzies" they mentioned. I mean, a giant dragon randomly deciding it want to snack on everything and everyone that surrounds it? I'm not sure many would welcome one in their liar...

However, this could work if the lore is elaborated some more! Perhaps, if the cannibalism had a meaning for them and was practiced only in some circumstances, it'd be easier to make them fit in without an issue. Same goes for their aggressiveness.

These aspects could be, for example, part of rituals to honor the fallen or their own survival; and the Demokun could be a race of warriors, ferocious and not very open to other breeds, but not the point where they randomly try to maul fellow dergs.
As others people have stated, I'm a bit iffy about the cannibalistic bit. Judging by the tone of the description, it's not supposed to be a ritual, but rather a mere result of their hunger and aggressiveness; this specific kind of cannibalism ( "I'm hungry and mean so I'm going to jump on the first dragon I find, crunch, munch!") would not fit well in the FR universe... especially if it's linked to the "feeding frenzies" they mentioned. I mean, a giant dragon randomly deciding it want to snack on everything and everyone that surrounds it? I'm not sure many would welcome one in their liar...

However, this could work if the lore is elaborated some more! Perhaps, if the cannibalism had a meaning for them and was practiced only in some circumstances, it'd be easier to make them fit in without an issue. Same goes for their aggressiveness.

These aspects could be, for example, part of rituals to honor the fallen or their own survival; and the Demokun could be a race of warriors, ferocious and not very open to other breeds, but not the point where they randomly try to maul fellow dergs.
11501862_EwWdTdj8nqB6gLK.gif
I say that it's an interesting idea. If the lore is rewritten and the art is redrawn so it doesn't resemble a spiral, then this may work.

If the lore was left how it is, then maybe the breed could be something like a heavily-scaled powerful breed, giving it features to make it look less like a spiral.

@Tiger33621

If you tell me what main features you want it to have, I could redraw it for you if you would like?
I say that it's an interesting idea. If the lore is rewritten and the art is redrawn so it doesn't resemble a spiral, then this may work.

If the lore was left how it is, then maybe the breed could be something like a heavily-scaled powerful breed, giving it features to make it look less like a spiral.

@Tiger33621

If you tell me what main features you want it to have, I could redraw it for you if you would like?
spacewhale0.gifqB0EMi0.png
1 2 3 4