Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Sniping again
Hi all,
I know that this is a topic that has been discussed previously, I went back and looked through some previous threads but I think it is worth keeping it going. I have not been playing very long but I have been impressed by this game, the variety of options for playing and the general friendliness of the community, but I do not like how the marketplace works.
I appreciate that the many different options open to people to acquire game currency is one of the things that make this such a good game but I think that sniping the marketplace to limit availability so some items can only be obtained at inflated prices in the AH or forum sales is not a good thing.
This may be a difficult issue to resolve but as with previous posts I would at least like to see the Buy button actually meaning that the item is not available to other players until the transaction has been confirmed or canceled. It seems to be happening to me a lot, and I have tried on different devices to see if it makes a difference, that I click on buy and then when I try to confirm the purchase, no matter how quickly, I am told the item is no longer available.
If someone gets to these items faster than I do, I think it is fair enough but if I am given the option to buy and I accept, it does seem unfair not to go through with the transaction.
I hope if other people also feel strongly about this too it may be a able to be resolved.
Thanks,
Kathy
Hi all,
I know that this is a topic that has been discussed previously, I went back and looked through some previous threads but I think it is worth keeping it going. I have not been playing very long but I have been impressed by this game, the variety of options for playing and the general friendliness of the community, but I do not like how the marketplace works.
I appreciate that the many different options open to people to acquire game currency is one of the things that make this such a good game but I think that sniping the marketplace to limit availability so some items can only be obtained at inflated prices in the AH or forum sales is not a good thing.
This may be a difficult issue to resolve but as with previous posts I would at least like to see the Buy button actually meaning that the item is not available to other players until the transaction has been confirmed or canceled. It seems to be happening to me a lot, and I have tried on different devices to see if it makes a difference, that I click on buy and then when I try to confirm the purchase, no matter how quickly, I am told the item is no longer available.
If someone gets to these items faster than I do, I think it is fair enough but if I am given the option to buy and I accept, it does seem unfair not to go through with the transaction.
I hope if other people also feel strongly about this too it may be a able to be resolved.
Thanks,
Kathy
violet2_by_ccow91-db4mu65.jpg Yr0dYV1.png
Hmm, this is actually a good idea, though the bots will still probably always be faster. May be better to have the item simply be unlimited for the time it is in the marketplace, but keep the items that do appear still random.
Hmm, this is actually a good idea, though the bots will still probably always be faster. May be better to have the item simply be unlimited for the time it is in the marketplace, but keep the items that do appear still random.
tumblr_nq0dlcmuyk1svbq5wo1_540.png
This could be difficult. It would be too easy to "reserve" an item in a tab regardless of the buyer's funds if this was how things worked, I think?
This could be difficult. It would be too easy to "reserve" an item in a tab regardless of the buyer's funds if this was how things worked, I think?
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
I see what you mean, but the confirm or reject could be on a short timer to avoid that.
I see what you mean, but the confirm or reject could be on a short timer to avoid that.
violet2_by_ccow91-db4mu65.jpg Yr0dYV1.png
No support due to technical reasons

HTTP is a TCP based protocol, this means:
  • It's inherently laggy because every packet has to be confirmed three times: SYN request, SYN request ack'd + SYN response, SYN response ack'd + Data.
  • Databases are also inherently laggy, the more so the bigger they are. Waiting for a DB confirmation and locking entries for other connection instances will slow down site responses and bog down the laggy TCP protocol even more.
  • You cannot feasibly open over 2,000 DB connections at the same time, even at Localhost. The answer to this is view caching. THIS itself however is problematic if you use locks because locks cannot be cached reliably (they alter the database for other view instances).
  • There are hardware solutions for online shops that are built around frequent database locking using "shopping carts", but those solutions tend to be too expensive for games the size of Flight Rising.

Alternative solution:
Instanced marketplace, with a largely lowered offerbase.

Reasons:
  • Fair to everyone, regarding of latency. It now doesn't matter whether the player has fiber, VDSL, LTE, UMTS, ADSL, EDGE, ISDN, 56k or sattelite. Only the player themself gets to see the offer.
  • To prevent item inflation, the offers should reset every 4 hours, and only 2 or 5 of each random rolled item should be stocked. Restocking should be once every hour.

No support due to technical reasons

HTTP is a TCP based protocol, this means:
  • It's inherently laggy because every packet has to be confirmed three times: SYN request, SYN request ack'd + SYN response, SYN response ack'd + Data.
  • Databases are also inherently laggy, the more so the bigger they are. Waiting for a DB confirmation and locking entries for other connection instances will slow down site responses and bog down the laggy TCP protocol even more.
  • You cannot feasibly open over 2,000 DB connections at the same time, even at Localhost. The answer to this is view caching. THIS itself however is problematic if you use locks because locks cannot be cached reliably (they alter the database for other view instances).
  • There are hardware solutions for online shops that are built around frequent database locking using "shopping carts", but those solutions tend to be too expensive for games the size of Flight Rising.

Alternative solution:
Instanced marketplace, with a largely lowered offerbase.

Reasons:
  • Fair to everyone, regarding of latency. It now doesn't matter whether the player has fiber, VDSL, LTE, UMTS, ADSL, EDGE, ISDN, 56k or sattelite. Only the player themself gets to see the offer.
  • To prevent item inflation, the offers should reset every 4 hours, and only 2 or 5 of each random rolled item should be stocked. Restocking should be once every hour.

In pinging me I assume consent to be pinged back. This is because I disabled signature display (too many intrusive banners)
Solar stance time difference: +9 Hours FRT

My avatar
[quote name="Autopilot" date=2017-05-25 21:24:24] Hmm, this is actually a good idea, though the bots will still probably always be faster. May be better to have the item simply be unlimited for the time it is in the marketplace, but keep the items that do appear still random. [/quote] If you make anything stock with unlimited quantities in the treasure mp for any length of time you are guaranteed to crash that item's worth in the apparel economy. The apparel economy is one where a lot of players make money, including myself, so I am really [i]really[/i] against any suggestion that will jeopardize it. I don't know how to solve the op's problem honestly. Making the purchase button actually purchase the item sounds good in theory but there's been lots of times where I'm thankful for the confirmation button when I accidentally click on the wrong apparel in my haste to snipe the good stuff. I'm not ashamed of being a sniper. Its a solid way to make treasure and since I hate the fairgrounds, the coli, and don't make accents; its the [u]only[/u] reliable way to make money.
Autopilot wrote on 2017-05-25:

If you make anything stock with unlimited quantities in the treasure mp for any length of time you are guaranteed to crash that item's worth in the apparel economy. The apparel economy is one where a lot of players make money, including myself, so I am really really against any suggestion that will jeopardize it.

I don't know how to solve the op's problem honestly. Making the purchase button actually purchase the item sounds good in theory but there's been lots of times where I'm thankful for the confirmation button when I accidentally click on the wrong apparel in my haste to snipe the good stuff.

I'm not ashamed of being a sniper. Its a solid way to make treasure and since I hate the fairgrounds, the coli, and don't make accents; its the only reliable way to make money.
XriSV9h.gif
This would make even easier for botters to corner the market.

This would make even easier for botters to corner the market.

No support.

If you can't snipe the item, just wait for the craze to die down and buy it afterwards. Every game that has restocking markets (Neopets, Wajas, etc.) has sniping. It's going to happen. Making it so that you only click 1 button instead of 2 won't change anything. People will still snipe the item.
No support.

If you can't snipe the item, just wait for the craze to die down and buy it afterwards. Every game that has restocking markets (Neopets, Wajas, etc.) has sniping. It's going to happen. Making it so that you only click 1 button instead of 2 won't change anything. People will still snipe the item.

tumblr_owx0mlGX951u3wsjco6_r1_250.png
Wolf capes.

Do they exist?

Who knows?

No one has seen them in the wild. Rumor has it that they never came out at all, and that it was all a dream.
Wolf capes.

Do they exist?

Who knows?

No one has seen them in the wild. Rumor has it that they never came out at all, and that it was all a dream.
tumblr_nq0dlcmuyk1svbq5wo1_540.png
[quote name="Autopilot" date=2017-05-26 19:28:32] Wolf capes. Do they exist? Who knows? No one has seen them in the wild. Rumor has it that they never came out at all, and that it was all a dream. [/quote] I restocked a bunch of them when Earth last had dom. They do exist. It's a matter of "they're a popular item, and they sell out quickly"
Autopilot wrote on 2017-05-26:
Wolf capes.

Do they exist?

Who knows?

I restocked a bunch of them when Earth last had dom.

They do exist. It's a matter of "they're a popular item, and they sell out quickly"