Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Non-stripe-based genes
1 2 3
We now have ripple/current, tiger/stripes, jupiter/saturn, savannah/safari, falcon/peregrine, okapi and thylacine that are based on stripes. We also have tapir and its unnamed secondary incoming which are again, based on stripes.

This is... a lot of stripes, and is presumably the major cause of the recent complaints about genes looking the same - there's only so much you can do to make them look different.

I'm not particularly fussy about what we do get but honestly, spots/blobs are more versatile (as evidenced by how different speckle, bar, poison, piebald and clown are) and we've barely touched the surface of the pattern-based genes (giraffe, cherub, vipera, petals etc).

We now have ripple/current, tiger/stripes, jupiter/saturn, savannah/safari, falcon/peregrine, okapi and thylacine that are based on stripes. We also have tapir and its unnamed secondary incoming which are again, based on stripes.

This is... a lot of stripes, and is presumably the major cause of the recent complaints about genes looking the same - there's only so much you can do to make them look different.

I'm not particularly fussy about what we do get but honestly, spots/blobs are more versatile (as evidenced by how different speckle, bar, poison, piebald and clown are) and we've barely touched the surface of the pattern-based genes (giraffe, cherub, vipera, petals etc).

jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
Agreed. I'm so sick of striped genes that by this point are basically becoming clones of each other. There are other patterns inside and outside the animal kingdom? The limits are boundless to make something really creative looking. Take risks. Do something better than stripes repeated constantly
Agreed. I'm so sick of striped genes that by this point are basically becoming clones of each other. There are other patterns inside and outside the animal kingdom? The limits are boundless to make something really creative looking. Take risks. Do something better than stripes repeated constantly
water-banner-3_zpspqe7dfz3.gif

Well-behaved women seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
End corruption now
Tentative support. I do believe that there are more ways for "stripe like" patterns to be used in unique ways. But I do agree that there can now be a concern about versatility in genes.

For example, you'd never mistake Stripes and Saturn, but I could see people confusing the future Tapir with Ripple, or Savannah with Okapi, especially from glancing at thumbnails.

I'm walking a fine line between appreciating new genes and being annoyed that my first reaction to them is "That looks like an updated [gene we already have]". I understand a little overlap here and there, but when large groups of players are saying that upcoming/new genes look nearly identical to ones already out....I agree that the art team needs to try to branch out. Nix stripes for a while if that helps, though not forever, as I do think just banning "stripes" would be a little silly lol

I actually like Savannah quite a bit, and Safari in specific choices, but yes, it looks like a slightly more polished Okapi to me, with a better face pattern.

Perhaps if the art team is having an art block -- which is totally understandable -- there would be a user contest run where people concept-sketch their own gene ideas and present them in order to give the team ideas about what people would like, and help jumpstart their own creativity.

Edit: Also, this is a bit of a nitpick, but could we also chill out with the genes that start with S? Cos the drop down menus in the Scrying Workshop are getting a little ridiculous now lol
Tentative support. I do believe that there are more ways for "stripe like" patterns to be used in unique ways. But I do agree that there can now be a concern about versatility in genes.

For example, you'd never mistake Stripes and Saturn, but I could see people confusing the future Tapir with Ripple, or Savannah with Okapi, especially from glancing at thumbnails.

I'm walking a fine line between appreciating new genes and being annoyed that my first reaction to them is "That looks like an updated [gene we already have]". I understand a little overlap here and there, but when large groups of players are saying that upcoming/new genes look nearly identical to ones already out....I agree that the art team needs to try to branch out. Nix stripes for a while if that helps, though not forever, as I do think just banning "stripes" would be a little silly lol

I actually like Savannah quite a bit, and Safari in specific choices, but yes, it looks like a slightly more polished Okapi to me, with a better face pattern.

Perhaps if the art team is having an art block -- which is totally understandable -- there would be a user contest run where people concept-sketch their own gene ideas and present them in order to give the team ideas about what people would like, and help jumpstart their own creativity.

Edit: Also, this is a bit of a nitpick, but could we also chill out with the genes that start with S? Cos the drop down menus in the Scrying Workshop are getting a little ridiculous now lol
Need a Dragon Bio? Check out my Lore Shop!
tumblr_inline_naz0azrMBD1qg78ij.png
Support from me! I like the genes, and the rate that the team is pumping them out is surprising, but I wouldn't be opposed to longer periods in between updates if it mean more creative and unique genes.
Support from me! I like the genes, and the rate that the team is pumping them out is surprising, but I wouldn't be opposed to longer periods in between updates if it mean more creative and unique genes.
Caught between the mundanely awkward and the existentially impossible.
-Alice Isn't Dead, Part 2, chapter 4, 11:55

First I have to say that I adore Savannah because I can actually use Runes with it. I really dislike how genes like Spinner and Falcon sort of get lost under Runes, so I'd really only like it on Iridescent and Basic. But Savannah is perfect for Runes. So, you know, it's a great gene and I wouldn't mind more like it even if they were striped...

But I'd really love it if we had a gene that had the spots from clown, but not the other... I don't know what to call that pattern. I love the spots on clown, and I don't think they'd look bad as a gene on their own. I want a spotted dragon like that. I feel like right now the only spots we have are Speckle and Freckle.
First I have to say that I adore Savannah because I can actually use Runes with it. I really dislike how genes like Spinner and Falcon sort of get lost under Runes, so I'd really only like it on Iridescent and Basic. But Savannah is perfect for Runes. So, you know, it's a great gene and I wouldn't mind more like it even if they were striped...

But I'd really love it if we had a gene that had the spots from clown, but not the other... I don't know what to call that pattern. I love the spots on clown, and I don't think they'd look bad as a gene on their own. I want a spotted dragon like that. I feel like right now the only spots we have are Speckle and Freckle.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
Support! There are so many other patterns available in nature.
Support! There are so many other patterns available in nature.
+3 fr time
he/him
pinging me is ok!
friends of my youth, when shall we meet again?
f2u_moon_by_lacedjewel-db1e4cw.png
Support.

The only way I'd like to see another stripe gene is a Zebra tert that applies stripes (without a hideous gradient) in the tertiary colour.

I think we could use some variety for a while. Dalmatian spots, rosettes, patches, scales... filigree... just no more stripes for a bit.
Support.

The only way I'd like to see another stripe gene is a Zebra tert that applies stripes (without a hideous gradient) in the tertiary colour.

I think we could use some variety for a while. Dalmatian spots, rosettes, patches, scales... filigree... just no more stripes for a bit.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
Going to agree here... My favorite thing about the new genes is that the blank body means you can use Thylacine and Runes without feeling like you're wasting the base genes or making your dragon look too cluttered. The stripes also look a lot better than the old Tiger, but again, they're both striped.

Spots, like clouded markings or rosettes, would be amazing. I'd want them not to be too small personally, more like a jaguar or snow leopard. Also, marbling! Either like a cat's marbled coat or marbled paper or a really fancy gene that takes the veined silky look of stone. Those are flexible enough that they could be like poison/skink, using the extra colors.

Also, a dappled/appaloosa/fawn gene.
Going to agree here... My favorite thing about the new genes is that the blank body means you can use Thylacine and Runes without feeling like you're wasting the base genes or making your dragon look too cluttered. The stripes also look a lot better than the old Tiger, but again, they're both striped.

Spots, like clouded markings or rosettes, would be amazing. I'd want them not to be too small personally, more like a jaguar or snow leopard. Also, marbling! Either like a cat's marbled coat or marbled paper or a really fancy gene that takes the veined silky look of stone. Those are flexible enough that they could be like poison/skink, using the extra colors.

Also, a dappled/appaloosa/fawn gene.
IlluminartiIn-Flight HubPublic Buy
Yes please! The genes are all starting to look the same. ripple/current, tiger/stripes, jupiter/saturn are all genes with low demand, I have no idea why they keep making more stripes. Some of my favorite gene ideas include: Galaxy, marbled, peacock, and snow leopard inspired patterns.

I think we need more genes with varying colors as well, like poison/toxin. Or really anything that can add more visual interest.
Yes please! The genes are all starting to look the same. ripple/current, tiger/stripes, jupiter/saturn are all genes with low demand, I have no idea why they keep making more stripes. Some of my favorite gene ideas include: Galaxy, marbled, peacock, and snow leopard inspired patterns.

I think we need more genes with varying colors as well, like poison/toxin. Or really anything that can add more visual interest.
BhWDcLm.png
Reluctant support. There is a blurring of the genes where they are all starting to look too close together. I think varying colors would help or different spacing, something that is visually different.
Reluctant support. There is a blurring of the genes where they are all starting to look too close together. I think varying colors would help or different spacing, something that is visually different.
fr__wind_by_baelfin-d8uyn8b.png Click :D
1 2 3