Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Randomize Name when Exalting Dragons
1 2
Wow so apparently people are getting REALLY bent out of shape over this... had no idea how many people would get so angry. To each his own I guess *shrugs*

So we all know that Unnamed looks ugly in a dragon's lineage, and I was thinking about how you names can be randomly chosen.

So here is my suggestion, just a simple little script that auto names a dragon when it is exalted if it doesn't have a name already. That way if somebody sells a dragon and the person just exalts it, they aren't stuck with 'unnamed' in their dragon's lineage.

That, and you don't have to name the dragon before selling to avoid that. That, and it costs treasure to name a dragon. If you buy a dragon that was exalt fodder and decide to keep it, you might end up stuck with a name you didn't want, then have to go buy the Scroll of Renaming.

This would also avoid that problem as well. People wouldn't have to name exalt fodder before selling it, and wouldn't have to worry about "Unnamed" showing up in their dragon's lineage when the babies are bought and exalted.
Wow so apparently people are getting REALLY bent out of shape over this... had no idea how many people would get so angry. To each his own I guess *shrugs*

So we all know that Unnamed looks ugly in a dragon's lineage, and I was thinking about how you names can be randomly chosen.

So here is my suggestion, just a simple little script that auto names a dragon when it is exalted if it doesn't have a name already. That way if somebody sells a dragon and the person just exalts it, they aren't stuck with 'unnamed' in their dragon's lineage.

That, and you don't have to name the dragon before selling to avoid that. That, and it costs treasure to name a dragon. If you buy a dragon that was exalt fodder and decide to keep it, you might end up stuck with a name you didn't want, then have to go buy the Scroll of Renaming.

This would also avoid that problem as well. People wouldn't have to name exalt fodder before selling it, and wouldn't have to worry about "Unnamed" showing up in their dragon's lineage when the babies are bought and exalted.
Unnamed isn't ugly. It's just a name.

Refrigerator, Warts, Toe and WingWing aren't better than Unnamed, yet, they're all options in the naming generator. So is Forsaken.

Are these really better names?

Name before selling. This is the ONLY thing you have to do.

Unnamed isn't ugly. It's just a name.

Refrigerator, Warts, Toe and WingWing aren't better than Unnamed, yet, they're all options in the naming generator. So is Forsaken.

Are these really better names?

Name before selling. This is the ONLY thing you have to do.

No support. what if those unnamed dragons were in other peoples lairs? In the code, even after exaltion, they are still tied to their account. The dragon is still theirs. This kind of suggestion is forcing your playstyle on other people, which is a HUGE no-no. The admins have already said once a dragon leaves your lair, you have no say in what happens to it. This includes being exalted, named or not.
You can't take the persons payment and dictate what happens to the dragon too.

If you don't want unnamed dragons in your offspring lists, name them before you sell them. That's all you have to do.
Everyone is responsible for their own offspring lists, and should never be allowed to force a name on someone else's dragons. There was a poll a while back, and it actually turns out that if people like the dragon, they won't care if they have to buy a renaming scroll. Or if they're bad at naming dragons, they actually appreciate the fact that it's already named.
Not to mention a lot of people exalt unnamed for lore- this would completely screw over their playstyle

You want to see ugly names? Look up "fart" in the dragon search, with male as the other requirement. I'll wait.
No support. what if those unnamed dragons were in other peoples lairs? In the code, even after exaltion, they are still tied to their account. The dragon is still theirs. This kind of suggestion is forcing your playstyle on other people, which is a HUGE no-no. The admins have already said once a dragon leaves your lair, you have no say in what happens to it. This includes being exalted, named or not.
You can't take the persons payment and dictate what happens to the dragon too.

If you don't want unnamed dragons in your offspring lists, name them before you sell them. That's all you have to do.
Everyone is responsible for their own offspring lists, and should never be allowed to force a name on someone else's dragons. There was a poll a while back, and it actually turns out that if people like the dragon, they won't care if they have to buy a renaming scroll. Or if they're bad at naming dragons, they actually appreciate the fact that it's already named.
Not to mention a lot of people exalt unnamed for lore- this would completely screw over their playstyle

You want to see ugly names? Look up "fart" in the dragon search, with male as the other requirement. I'll wait.
giphy.gifold_mansig.pngmFaXmCJ.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings
TwEcIUG.png[/url] Ae0MsB2.png

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
[quote name="Artha" date=2017-04-22 17:25:03] So we all know that Unnamed looks ugly in a dragon's lineage, and I was thinking about how you names can be randomly chosen. [/quote] Ahem, excuse me, but I have a dragon with 4 Unnamed kids. It's a lore stuff. Thanks for calling it ugly D: Also, how about this? [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=14868790] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/148688/14868790_350.png[/img] [/url] She was bought from me nearly 2 years ago and was never named. Now the owner apparently left. Your suggestion doesn't fix that, and exalted and non-exalted Unnamed look absolutely the same in the list. I also believe there is an Unnamed kid I also sold a long time ago that's actually still active, but I don't remember the pair that hatched it. [b]If you don't like Unnamed, name them. Nothing else will give you 100% guarantee that you won't have Unnamed in the list.[/b]
Artha wrote on 2017-04-22:
Ahem, excuse me, but I have a dragon with 4 Unnamed kids. It's a lore stuff. Thanks for calling it ugly D:

Also, how about this?

14868790_350.png

She was bought from me nearly 2 years ago and was never named. Now the owner apparently left. Your suggestion doesn't fix that, and exalted and non-exalted Unnamed look absolutely the same in the list.

I also believe there is an Unnamed kid I also sold a long time ago that's actually still active, but I don't remember the pair that hatched it.

If you don't like Unnamed, name them. Nothing else will give you 100% guarantee that you won't have Unnamed in the list.
I know that unnamed offspring can be upsetting to those who do not like them, but I do not feel that forcing names upon exalted dragons is the best way to handle it. Not everyone dislikes unnamed offspring---in reality there are plenty of players who purposely keep dragons unnamed and/or exalt unnamed for specific purposes. If you don't like unnamed dragons, name before selling or exalting. As for any unnamed that may have happened before you started taking responsibility of your own offspring lists (or for those dragons you bought with an unnamed offspring) there are plenty of different head-canons you could use to explain away the unnamed offspring: for example that the dragon does have a name, its just that your clan does not know it, because the dragon did not send news back to clan so they couldn't update the records or that the deity gave the dragon a name, but it's a secret name that dragon cannot or will not share because names, especially deity given names since names have power.

My biggest issue with suggestions that prevent unnamed dragon thing is that once a player sells a dragon, they have no say on what the purchaser does with the dragon. There have been several polls that have shown that most players aren't bothered by a pre-named dragon

Players exalt dragons unnamed for a variety of reasons.
--Some players exalt dragons for story reasons:
----Unnamed hatchlings may have been ones that died as a hatchling
----Unnamed dragons may not have earned a name
----Unnamed dragons essentially do not exist in their story/head canon for certain pairs perhaps because they are trying to breed certain offspring and any that are not to the right characteristics are exalted unnamed
----Unnamed can mean something completely different from Nameless. Unnamed suggests the dragon never got or earned a name while Nameless suggests they do not deserve a name/lost their name for some reason.
--To differentiate exalted dragons from existing dragons on an offspring list. (IE they exalt their hatchlings unnamed; if they sell they generally get a name so its easy to tell at a glance who it is worth checking up on to see what that dragon has been up to)
--Some exalters prefer to exalt unnamed to avoid 'potentially harassing names' (IE the Mulch mess)
--Some exalters don't care if the dragon is named or not but don't want dragons automatically named when they exalt because it will slow them down (the system will have to update the name field and mark the dragon as exalted) when compared to pre-named dragons.
----If unnamed dragons were given a default name upon exalting (rather than a randomized name), it still wouldn't solve the issue for many of the players who have an issue with unnamed dragons (which generally is its 'ugly' or complaining about having multiple of the same name on the list); these players would likely feel the same about a 'default' name.
--Some players prefer the look of a long list of unnamed dragons as they find it cleaner than an offspring list such as: WingWing, Mary, Hirareana, Acadia, Haku, Goober, xXxRose, james
--There are some pretty bad names in the randomizer.

Suggestions like this essentially state that the breeder is more important than the buyer (since the argument tends to be that the unnnamed exalted offspring appear on the parents' page) which is incorrect since when you buy a dragon; you buy all rights to that dragon including the name or lack there of. The breeder/seller has already been compensated for the dragon as they got the sales price they asked for. The exalter may have reasons for exalting unnamed (for example the dragon they exalted unnamed may have been used for a breeding project where they wanted unnamed parents or the dragon exalted unnamed may be referenced in their active clan members' profiles) and it is their right to be able to leave the dragon they exalted unnamed because it is their dragon.

Dragons that are exalted are still tied to the account that exalted them (if you move flights all the dragons you exalted move with you) thus technically the owner of the dragon is the player who exalted them since they are still tied to that account.
I know that unnamed offspring can be upsetting to those who do not like them, but I do not feel that forcing names upon exalted dragons is the best way to handle it. Not everyone dislikes unnamed offspring---in reality there are plenty of players who purposely keep dragons unnamed and/or exalt unnamed for specific purposes. If you don't like unnamed dragons, name before selling or exalting. As for any unnamed that may have happened before you started taking responsibility of your own offspring lists (or for those dragons you bought with an unnamed offspring) there are plenty of different head-canons you could use to explain away the unnamed offspring: for example that the dragon does have a name, its just that your clan does not know it, because the dragon did not send news back to clan so they couldn't update the records or that the deity gave the dragon a name, but it's a secret name that dragon cannot or will not share because names, especially deity given names since names have power.

My biggest issue with suggestions that prevent unnamed dragon thing is that once a player sells a dragon, they have no say on what the purchaser does with the dragon. There have been several polls that have shown that most players aren't bothered by a pre-named dragon

Players exalt dragons unnamed for a variety of reasons.
--Some players exalt dragons for story reasons:
----Unnamed hatchlings may have been ones that died as a hatchling
----Unnamed dragons may not have earned a name
----Unnamed dragons essentially do not exist in their story/head canon for certain pairs perhaps because they are trying to breed certain offspring and any that are not to the right characteristics are exalted unnamed
----Unnamed can mean something completely different from Nameless. Unnamed suggests the dragon never got or earned a name while Nameless suggests they do not deserve a name/lost their name for some reason.
--To differentiate exalted dragons from existing dragons on an offspring list. (IE they exalt their hatchlings unnamed; if they sell they generally get a name so its easy to tell at a glance who it is worth checking up on to see what that dragon has been up to)
--Some exalters prefer to exalt unnamed to avoid 'potentially harassing names' (IE the Mulch mess)
--Some exalters don't care if the dragon is named or not but don't want dragons automatically named when they exalt because it will slow them down (the system will have to update the name field and mark the dragon as exalted) when compared to pre-named dragons.
----If unnamed dragons were given a default name upon exalting (rather than a randomized name), it still wouldn't solve the issue for many of the players who have an issue with unnamed dragons (which generally is its 'ugly' or complaining about having multiple of the same name on the list); these players would likely feel the same about a 'default' name.
--Some players prefer the look of a long list of unnamed dragons as they find it cleaner than an offspring list such as: WingWing, Mary, Hirareana, Acadia, Haku, Goober, xXxRose, james
--There are some pretty bad names in the randomizer.

Suggestions like this essentially state that the breeder is more important than the buyer (since the argument tends to be that the unnnamed exalted offspring appear on the parents' page) which is incorrect since when you buy a dragon; you buy all rights to that dragon including the name or lack there of. The breeder/seller has already been compensated for the dragon as they got the sales price they asked for. The exalter may have reasons for exalting unnamed (for example the dragon they exalted unnamed may have been used for a breeding project where they wanted unnamed parents or the dragon exalted unnamed may be referenced in their active clan members' profiles) and it is their right to be able to leave the dragon they exalted unnamed because it is their dragon.

Dragons that are exalted are still tied to the account that exalted them (if you move flights all the dragons you exalted move with you) thus technically the owner of the dragon is the player who exalted them since they are still tied to that account.
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
My biggest problem with these types of suggestions, apart from how it is trying to dictate what another user can do with their own dragon, is that it doesn't address the issue of other names people find 'ugly'. I personally find 'Fartsniffer' and other variations to be MUCH uglier than 'Unnamed'.

I also ghave other names that I simply would not want on my offspring lists. I sell all my dragons named, yet, if someone wants to rename them to one of those names, I have no say i nthe matter. If I were to suggest that I get to rename any dragon that shows up on my offspring list, whether exalted or not, just because I don't like the name, how many supports do you think I would get. It wouldn't even get mine.

However, on the other hand, those who dislike the word 'unnamed' in their offspring lists have a very simple and effective tool in the fight against seeing it: NAME THE DRAGON BEFORE IT LEAVES YOUR LAIR. If you are afraid of accidentally exalting it unnamed, put a familiar on the hatchling or apparel on an adult until it is name. There you go, no more unnamed exalts.
My biggest problem with these types of suggestions, apart from how it is trying to dictate what another user can do with their own dragon, is that it doesn't address the issue of other names people find 'ugly'. I personally find 'Fartsniffer' and other variations to be MUCH uglier than 'Unnamed'.

I also ghave other names that I simply would not want on my offspring lists. I sell all my dragons named, yet, if someone wants to rename them to one of those names, I have no say i nthe matter. If I were to suggest that I get to rename any dragon that shows up on my offspring list, whether exalted or not, just because I don't like the name, how many supports do you think I would get. It wouldn't even get mine.

However, on the other hand, those who dislike the word 'unnamed' in their offspring lists have a very simple and effective tool in the fight against seeing it: NAME THE DRAGON BEFORE IT LEAVES YOUR LAIR. If you are afraid of accidentally exalting it unnamed, put a familiar on the hatchling or apparel on an adult until it is name. There you go, no more unnamed exalts.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Unnamed isn't ugly. I have a few Unnamed dragons because of lore and looks.

I don't want the game to randomly chane the names of my dragons just because a handful of users don't like the name I choose. What I do with my dragons is no one elses busyness. That would be like wanting to rename every dragon with a human name like frank - because I think these kind of names look rather bad on dragons and lack creativity.

Also you can allready use the randomizer on dragons you own. Hands off of things that don't belong to you.
Unnamed isn't ugly. I have a few Unnamed dragons because of lore and looks.

I don't want the game to randomly chane the names of my dragons just because a handful of users don't like the name I choose. What I do with my dragons is no one elses busyness. That would be like wanting to rename every dragon with a human name like frank - because I think these kind of names look rather bad on dragons and lack creativity.

Also you can allready use the randomizer on dragons you own. Hands off of things that don't belong to you.
This wouldn't solve your problem of 'ugly' names though. Someone is still free to name their dragon stuff like ALLCAPS, lolnocaps, xXxsIllYnAmEExXx, adfgiuysd, OTL which are much worse than something that looks like a regular name at a glance.
There are some dodgy names in the random name generator.
This wouldn't solve your problem of 'ugly' names though. Someone is still free to name their dragon stuff like ALLCAPS, lolnocaps, xXxsIllYnAmEExXx, adfgiuysd, OTL which are much worse than something that looks like a regular name at a glance.
There are some dodgy names in the random name generator.
cg2G1xD.gif
tumblr_inline_ngqv6bbPaQ1rvrguk.pngtumblr_inline_n1581tzliY1rvrguk.png
I never even saw the problem with unnamed dragons
As a habit, I name before I exalt, mostly because I usually train them as well
But if an unnamed dragon of mine ends up being exalted by someone else, well... their decision, not mine
Also, as people said, sometimes it's a lore stuff
If your dragons have a hatchling but in the lore, it 'dies' right after hatching and you immediately exalt, then it'd be super weird when it shows up as 'Lalalararara' or something in the offspring list- especially given that the parent dragons never wanted to name it
I never even saw the problem with unnamed dragons
As a habit, I name before I exalt, mostly because I usually train them as well
But if an unnamed dragon of mine ends up being exalted by someone else, well... their decision, not mine
Also, as people said, sometimes it's a lore stuff
If your dragons have a hatchling but in the lore, it 'dies' right after hatching and you immediately exalt, then it'd be super weird when it shows up as 'Lalalararara' or something in the offspring list- especially given that the parent dragons never wanted to name it
qR6otwA.png
As you may have noticed you hit a bit of a nerve with some people. I am one of the many who use unnamed dragons as part of my Lore. It would be destroyed if I had to name some of them. 2.5 years of lore... Poof gone.

Also agree that Unnamed is not any worse looking than-Cacklebone, Nightmarewing,Firstborn, and many more of the generator names. As it is now I try to name every hatchling/dragon I buy but if it was forced to name I would choose 1 name for all exalts (which some people do) so imagine your list after I bought 3 hatchies and named them all Failure that would look fantastic, right? Much better than Unnamed.

If you dislike Unnamed in your lineage name your dragons before you send them anywhere.

As you may have noticed you hit a bit of a nerve with some people. I am one of the many who use unnamed dragons as part of my Lore. It would be destroyed if I had to name some of them. 2.5 years of lore... Poof gone.

Also agree that Unnamed is not any worse looking than-Cacklebone, Nightmarewing,Firstborn, and many more of the generator names. As it is now I try to name every hatchling/dragon I buy but if it was forced to name I would choose 1 name for all exalts (which some people do) so imagine your list after I bought 3 hatchies and named them all Failure that would look fantastic, right? Much better than Unnamed.

If you dislike Unnamed in your lineage name your dragons before you send them anywhere.

Stuff will one day go here.
1 2