Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Polls
A feature that may be bennificial- to deciding which suggestions to go with, is a poll potion in the forums. Even if it's limited to "yes/no"
A feature that may be bennificial- to deciding which suggestions to go with, is a poll potion in the forums. Even if it's limited to "yes/no"
Hl87sOx.jpg
No, the admins specifically don't want people to to put just support/no support in the suggestion forums. How would these polls be any different than that? With suggestion forums, threads can change and ideas can evolve into very detailed and much more helpful suggestions that give the admins better ideas of how to improve the site. Polls could never replace that which is the reason why its against the rules to post just support or no support.

Besides, just because a suggestion is popular doesn't always mean its a good suggestion.
No, the admins specifically don't want people to to put just support/no support in the suggestion forums. How would these polls be any different than that? With suggestion forums, threads can change and ideas can evolve into very detailed and much more helpful suggestions that give the admins better ideas of how to improve the site. Polls could never replace that which is the reason why its against the rules to post just support or no support.

Besides, just because a suggestion is popular doesn't always mean its a good suggestion.
XriSV9h.gif
I'd rather not.
Its important for people to give resons as to WHY they support or don't support a thing. That way the one that made the suggestion gets feedback and admins get to know how the comunity (at least the part that looks into the suggestion forum) ticks.

Imagine you put this up with a poll and there are onehundred people polling, 80 no, 20 yes. What does that tell you? "People don't like my suggestion" at best. The more insecure users around here might even come to the conclusion "people don't like me".
In the end you'd never know WHY peole don't want polls - in the suggeytion forum.

I could support polls for the discussion, dom and sales forums. Things like "I have two accents done but will only print one at this time. Do you want Imp male or the skydancer female one?" or things like "should we do a profit push next week?"

Things there the poster really only needs a quick overview over the yes/no answers given. These are the things people allready create offsite polls for. I could see these become a thing. As long as the suggestions stay free from them.
I'd rather not.
Its important for people to give resons as to WHY they support or don't support a thing. That way the one that made the suggestion gets feedback and admins get to know how the comunity (at least the part that looks into the suggestion forum) ticks.

Imagine you put this up with a poll and there are onehundred people polling, 80 no, 20 yes. What does that tell you? "People don't like my suggestion" at best. The more insecure users around here might even come to the conclusion "people don't like me".
In the end you'd never know WHY peole don't want polls - in the suggeytion forum.

I could support polls for the discussion, dom and sales forums. Things like "I have two accents done but will only print one at this time. Do you want Imp male or the skydancer female one?" or things like "should we do a profit push next week?"

Things there the poster really only needs a quick overview over the yes/no answers given. These are the things people allready create offsite polls for. I could see these become a thing. As long as the suggestions stay free from them.
No support.

The admins have pretty specifically said that the Suggestions board is not a democracy. Suggestions are implemented based on quality not the amount of "likes" it gets. Implementing a feature that suggests that this is a vote-based system runs counter to this and would confuse more people than it helps.

Because of the policy that says we can't just post "support" or "no support" anyone who wants to participate in the Suggestions board is forced to examine their views and beliefs, communicate them succinctly and hold them up to scrutiny. Debate is encouraged. Sometimes people agree to disagree, but it's never done blindly. Starting a polling system would not take that lively debate spirit away from us, but I believe it would weaken it.

I'm with Ismael though, I think that other boards could benefit from polling. Just not Suggestions.
No support.

The admins have pretty specifically said that the Suggestions board is not a democracy. Suggestions are implemented based on quality not the amount of "likes" it gets. Implementing a feature that suggests that this is a vote-based system runs counter to this and would confuse more people than it helps.

Because of the policy that says we can't just post "support" or "no support" anyone who wants to participate in the Suggestions board is forced to examine their views and beliefs, communicate them succinctly and hold them up to scrutiny. Debate is encouraged. Sometimes people agree to disagree, but it's never done blindly. Starting a polling system would not take that lively debate spirit away from us, but I believe it would weaken it.

I'm with Ismael though, I think that other boards could benefit from polling. Just not Suggestions.
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
The thing is, even if some suggestions might have overpowering support, it doesn't mean they're good ideas.
The thing is, even if some suggestions might have overpowering support, it doesn't mean they're good ideas.
Sorry, no support, for all of the reasons already stated before me.
Sorry, no support, for all of the reasons already stated before me.
Light-and-Shadow-Bonsai.png
But didn't the admins ban just saying no support/support because it discourages discussion? This would do the exact same thing; if someone sees a suggestion and thinks "What a good idea!", they may not weigh the downsides properly if they can just say "support". And if they can just say "Support", then they're less likely to list why they support it.

The suggestion forum isn't a forum made for voting, it's a forum made for discussing and sharing ideas.
But didn't the admins ban just saying no support/support because it discourages discussion? This would do the exact same thing; if someone sees a suggestion and thinks "What a good idea!", they may not weigh the downsides properly if they can just say "support". And if they can just say "Support", then they're less likely to list why they support it.

The suggestion forum isn't a forum made for voting, it's a forum made for discussing and sharing ideas.
It's very unlikely that a polling option would be added ((at least in the suggestion forums)) since that would be in direct conflict with the Suggestions Forum Policy rule against support/no support (The Suggestions Forum is a discussion forum, not a petition forum) -- a poll would fill the same roll as the support/no support that the admins day is not enough feedback. In the case of an evolving idea, a poll may not reflect the reality of the support/no support status of the idea because of votes before the idea evolved. Polls also wouldn't work well for multi-segmented suggestions where a player may support parts of a suggestion but disagree with others..

In addition a polling/voting option could imply that the popularity is the most important part of if a suggestion would be added or not when it doesn't. As stated in the suggestion forum policy "Suggestions are implemented based on how they fit within the design philosophy of the game and not by voting, popularity, or lack thereof."

That being said, I'd love polls in the other forums as they'd be quite useful especially in the flight forums for polling for things like when to push for dominance or what theme to use.

To sum it up: If polls were added they should be deactivated in the suggestion forum as it goes against the admin's philosophy for the suggestion forum, but polls would be useful in other forums
It's very unlikely that a polling option would be added ((at least in the suggestion forums)) since that would be in direct conflict with the Suggestions Forum Policy rule against support/no support (The Suggestions Forum is a discussion forum, not a petition forum) -- a poll would fill the same roll as the support/no support that the admins day is not enough feedback. In the case of an evolving idea, a poll may not reflect the reality of the support/no support status of the idea because of votes before the idea evolved. Polls also wouldn't work well for multi-segmented suggestions where a player may support parts of a suggestion but disagree with others..

In addition a polling/voting option could imply that the popularity is the most important part of if a suggestion would be added or not when it doesn't. As stated in the suggestion forum policy "Suggestions are implemented based on how they fit within the design philosophy of the game and not by voting, popularity, or lack thereof."

That being said, I'd love polls in the other forums as they'd be quite useful especially in the flight forums for polling for things like when to push for dominance or what theme to use.

To sum it up: If polls were added they should be deactivated in the suggestion forum as it goes against the admin's philosophy for the suggestion forum, but polls would be useful in other forums
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies