Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Breed: Sphiasa (Update: Ancient Breed?)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 46 47
[quote]6/18/2019 Hey All! This thread is a few years old [i](phew so is the art...)[/i] but I saw that there's been some activity on it all the way up until this year, so I wanted to bring these guys back up now that we have ancient breeds. They may not be a perfect fit, but it could be worth some discussion! Thanks to you guys for your kind comments regarding this design [emoji=familiar heart size=1] While I don't have time to add all suggestions to the main post, I appreciate everyone posting and sharing their thoughts! - Ink [/quote] I did a thing and made some art for a breed suggestion! They’re called Sphiasa (Sphee-ahsa), which is a combination of a few things most notably that the whole idea started as ‘we have some western and eastern inspired dragons onsite, but what would a dragon look like from an ancient culture that really didn’t have any dragon lore at all?’ So these guys started out kind of Plains Native American based and ended up taking on a kind of Egyptian flair. Female: [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/91f0ff6d15634755a327852fbfadb3d8/tumblr_odrrleylSW1selosyo2_r1_400.png[/img][/center] Male: [center][img]https://68.media.tumblr.com/75305874e3e7597d4c8b9491c461ba47/tumblr_odrrleylSW1selosyo4_400.png[/img][/center] (I think the male pose still needs some refining but it's something for now!) [b]edit 1[/b]; added wing claws and frills, as well as belly scales to make them more 'dragony' as people were suggesting. A lot of people were noting the arcane influence too, so I tried to make that more dominant and also updated the lore. [b]edit 2[/b]; now with hatchling art! [center][img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/b91108dd2b4239ea7680719de373bbb9/tumblr_odtgkk84ni1selosyo3_r1_1280.png[/img][/center] Here’s the info I’ve worked out so far: Obtained: Unknown (Extremely rarely received after completing fairgrounds levels/hitting lucky streak?? Something to do with mind puzzles? Digging instead of scavenging?) Rarity: Limited Breeding Cooldown: 30 days (?) Diet: Meat, Seafood, Plants, Insects [b]Overview[/b] Sphiasa are strange, contemplative creatures. They originate from the Starfall isles, but most migrate to Dragonhome, where the terrain is more befitting to their ideal lair types. The exact number of Sphiasa are unknown, as it is rare to see them above ground. [b]Physical Attributes[/b] Sphiasa are mid-range in size, both males and females sport leathery, fin-like wings for regulating heat. Their necks are shrouded in a thick, voluminous mane which grows in rounded tiers. Their long toes capped with large talons aid in both digging as well as catching prey (sphiasa are opportunistic scavengers), however their digits are not dexterous. To make up for this evolution has gifted them long, whip like tails which are extremely prehensile. It is not uncommon to see a Sphiasa point or motion with their tails, as often times they prove to more useful than a cumbersome claw. The main, distinctive attribute of the Sphiasa is their crown: comprised of connected, halo-like horns which contain a floating orb held in the void within. This orb is held between the Sphiasa’s horn(s) with the aid of strong magnetic elements within the core of both the horn and the orb. Sphiasa have poor eyesight, and therefore use these orbs and the sight it bestows upon them as their main sensory organ. Because of this, their orb takes on the color of their birth flight, just as their eyes do. [b]Social[/b] Despite their grimacing faces, Sphiasa are quite contemplative. If one frowns at you, as they are often prone to do, it is more likely that they are just deep in thought. Sphiasa can communicate with one another telepathically, through the use of vibrating signals sent to and from their orbs, similar to echolocation. Because this connection is impossible to establish with any other dragon breed, Sphiasa can often times seem distant to others of dragonkind. [b]Lairs[/b] Sphiasa lairs are exclusively dug out of the earth, and often times contain traps to stop unfriendly intruders. Their crown allows them to sense where dirt and rock may be loose or dislodged underground, they then clear away the loose debris and fortify the walls of their new lair with their saliva. [b]Tactics[/b] Sphiasa are not physically strong, and despite their reasonable size and build their tails and horns can prove to be quite fragile. Instead, their mind is their true weapon of choice. Traps and mazes are not uncommon methods of defence but if a Sphiasa is confronted directly they may resort to using their orb sight, which when directed at a given dragon long or intensely enough can cause nausea, headache, and even internal damage.
Quote:
6/18/2019

Hey All! This thread is a few years old (phew so is the art...) but I saw that there's been some activity on it all the way up until this year, so I wanted to bring these guys back up now that we have ancient breeds. They may not be a perfect fit, but it could be worth some discussion!

Thanks to you guys for your kind comments regarding this design While I don't have time to add all suggestions to the main post, I appreciate everyone posting and sharing their thoughts!

- Ink

I did a thing and made some art for a breed suggestion!

They’re called Sphiasa (Sphee-ahsa), which is a combination of a few things most notably that the whole idea started as ‘we have some western and eastern inspired dragons onsite, but what would a dragon look like from an ancient culture that really didn’t have any dragon lore at all?’ So these guys started out kind of Plains Native American based and ended up taking on a kind of Egyptian flair.

Female:
tumblr_odrrleylSW1selosyo2_r1_400.png

Male:
tumblr_odrrleylSW1selosyo4_400.png

(I think the male pose still needs some refining but it's something for now!)

edit 1; added wing claws and frills, as well as belly scales to make them more 'dragony' as people were suggesting. A lot of people were noting the arcane influence too, so I tried to make that more dominant and also updated the lore.

edit 2; now with hatchling art!
tumblr_odtgkk84ni1selosyo3_r1_1280.png

Here’s the info I’ve worked out so far:

Obtained: Unknown (Extremely rarely received after completing fairgrounds levels/hitting lucky streak?? Something to do with mind puzzles? Digging instead of scavenging?)

Rarity: Limited

Breeding Cooldown: 30 days (?)

Diet: Meat, Seafood, Plants, Insects

Overview

Sphiasa are strange, contemplative creatures. They originate from the Starfall isles, but most migrate to Dragonhome, where the terrain is more befitting to their ideal lair types. The exact number of Sphiasa are unknown, as it is rare to see them above ground.

Physical Attributes

Sphiasa are mid-range in size, both males and females sport leathery, fin-like wings for regulating heat. Their necks are shrouded in a thick, voluminous mane which grows in rounded tiers. Their long toes capped with large talons aid in both digging as well as catching prey (sphiasa are opportunistic scavengers), however their digits are not dexterous. To make up for this evolution has gifted them long, whip like tails which are extremely prehensile. It is not uncommon to see a Sphiasa point or motion with their tails, as often times they prove to more useful than a cumbersome claw.

The main, distinctive attribute of the Sphiasa is their crown: comprised of connected, halo-like horns which contain a floating orb held in the void within. This orb is held between the Sphiasa’s horn(s) with the aid of strong magnetic elements within the core of both the horn and the orb. Sphiasa have poor eyesight, and therefore use these orbs and the sight it bestows upon them as their main sensory organ. Because of this, their orb takes on the color of their birth flight, just as their eyes do.

Social

Despite their grimacing faces, Sphiasa are quite contemplative. If one frowns at you, as they are often prone to do, it is more likely that they are just deep in thought. Sphiasa can communicate with one another telepathically, through the use of vibrating signals sent to and from their orbs, similar to echolocation. Because this connection is impossible to establish with any other dragon breed, Sphiasa can often times seem distant to others of dragonkind.

Lairs

Sphiasa lairs are exclusively dug out of the earth, and often times contain traps to stop unfriendly intruders. Their crown allows them to sense where dirt and rock may be loose or dislodged underground, they then clear away the loose debris and fortify the walls of their new lair with their saliva.

Tactics

Sphiasa are not physically strong, and despite their reasonable size and build their tails and horns can prove to be quite fragile. Instead, their mind is their true weapon of choice. Traps and mazes are not uncommon methods of defence but if a Sphiasa is confronted directly they may resort to using their orb sight, which when directed at a given dragon long or intensely enough can cause nausea, headache, and even internal damage.
aUBv6Nx.png ... ~ Ink / fr__water_by_baelfin-d8uyn80.png / all pronouns -/-/-/-/-/-/- Pinkerlocke | f2u Bio Banners
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc...ccccccccc...Inkpot Accent Shop

_ ______________ _ _ _

Empty your mind.
Be formless. Shapeless, like water. //
...XBYSamS.png
They look a lot like sphinxes, which we already have as familiars on the site, but I seriously love their design!

Editing cause I still love this breed idea and I think my comment could be enhanced! I really love all the details put into the art and lore and I think they'd be fabulous editions to the site!
They look a lot like sphinxes, which we already have as familiars on the site, but I seriously love their design!

Editing cause I still love this breed idea and I think my comment could be enhanced! I really love all the details put into the art and lore and I think they'd be fabulous editions to the site!
XriSV9h.gif
@CrazyRedfire Aw thank you! :D that was mostly unintentional but I kinda rolled with it, hahah. They're mostly based on a native legend called the Piasa, which is admittedly a lot like a sphynx ("They are as large As a calf; they have Horns on their heads Like those of a deer, a horrible look, red eyes, a beard Like a tiger's, a face somewhat like a man's, a body Covered with scales, and so Long A tail that it winds all around the Body, passing above the head and going back between the legs").

I haven't been active for a while though, curious as to if there is any issue with them looking like familiars? I have seen a lot of people ask for dragon familiars, but I notice we don't have any on site because admittedly that would be a little weird.
@CrazyRedfire Aw thank you! :D that was mostly unintentional but I kinda rolled with it, hahah. They're mostly based on a native legend called the Piasa, which is admittedly a lot like a sphynx ("They are as large As a calf; they have Horns on their heads Like those of a deer, a horrible look, red eyes, a beard Like a tiger's, a face somewhat like a man's, a body Covered with scales, and so Long A tail that it winds all around the Body, passing above the head and going back between the legs").

I haven't been active for a while though, curious as to if there is any issue with them looking like familiars? I have seen a lot of people ask for dragon familiars, but I notice we don't have any on site because admittedly that would be a little weird.
aUBv6Nx.png ... ~ Ink / fr__water_by_baelfin-d8uyn80.png / all pronouns -/-/-/-/-/-/- Pinkerlocke | f2u Bio Banners

_ ______________ _ _ _

Empty your mind.
...XBYSamS.png
Cool idea! I would love for them to be in the game.
Cool idea! I would love for them to be in the game.
21bkl7q.jpgPlagueFlag.gif
The amount of thought that has gone into these creatures' designs is amazing.
I really like the idea of them utilizing traps and mazes, I'm assuming you based it off of the booby-trapped pyramids and such?

It might be interesting if the Sphiasa had a thing for riddles like Sphinxes do, I think it would work nicely with their contemplative natures. :)

I have a question though, and I apologize if this was already mentioned in their description and I missed it, but is it possible for them to lose their floating orb (like have it be knocked out/stolen/etc.)? If so, are there any particular consequences when/if that happens?
The amount of thought that has gone into these creatures' designs is amazing.
I really like the idea of them utilizing traps and mazes, I'm assuming you based it off of the booby-trapped pyramids and such?

It might be interesting if the Sphiasa had a thing for riddles like Sphinxes do, I think it would work nicely with their contemplative natures. :)

I have a question though, and I apologize if this was already mentioned in their description and I missed it, but is it possible for them to lose their floating orb (like have it be knocked out/stolen/etc.)? If so, are there any particular consequences when/if that happens?
JgF49Nw.png
@Yamuerte thank you! Good catch on the traps and mazes, after they took on more of an Egyptian theme I thought buried, pyramid like lairs would be fitting.

I was going to make a note about their orbs but I forgot, so you're not missing it. Seeing as they are a vital sensory organ, losing their orb wound be as dangerous as physically losing one's eyes. It would throw off the 'magnetic' balance in their head too much causing headaches and potentially even hemorrhages (like it does when directed at other dragons), so I think the only time they can be removed is after death.

I would say though the orbs and horns can be damaged, essentially rendering them partially blind -and- mute, and sort of making them 'untouchables' or at the very least, extremely out if touch with the rest of their kind. It would be a brutal, debilitating injury for sure.

Edit 510: autocorrect hates me.
@Yamuerte thank you! Good catch on the traps and mazes, after they took on more of an Egyptian theme I thought buried, pyramid like lairs would be fitting.

I was going to make a note about their orbs but I forgot, so you're not missing it. Seeing as they are a vital sensory organ, losing their orb wound be as dangerous as physically losing one's eyes. It would throw off the 'magnetic' balance in their head too much causing headaches and potentially even hemorrhages (like it does when directed at other dragons), so I think the only time they can be removed is after death.

I would say though the orbs and horns can be damaged, essentially rendering them partially blind -and- mute, and sort of making them 'untouchables' or at the very least, extremely out if touch with the rest of their kind. It would be a brutal, debilitating injury for sure.

Edit 510: autocorrect hates me.

_ ______________ _ _ _

Empty your mind.
...XBYSamS.png
I love them.

I especially love how apparel-friendly they'd tentatively be. Their wings connect to the rest of them on a relatively small space and a lot of dragons don't do this so a lot of apparel clips the wings awkwardly on existing breeds.

I would definitely own this if it were a breed
I love them.

I especially love how apparel-friendly they'd tentatively be. Their wings connect to the rest of them on a relatively small space and a lot of dragons don't do this so a lot of apparel clips the wings awkwardly on existing breeds.

I would definitely own this if it were a breed
God, I want fifty of them. I would LOVE to change my progens into these were they available. There's not really anything I can say here that hasn't already been said, but I support these guys fully!!
God, I want fifty of them. I would LOVE to change my progens into these were they available. There's not really anything I can say here that hasn't already been said, but I support these guys fully!!
Oh my goodness they're lovely!!! I'd change their face to look more dragony because they look like sphinxs right now but Oh my goodness they're lovely!!!
Oh my goodness they're lovely!!! I'd change their face to look more dragony because they look like sphinxs right now but Oh my goodness they're lovely!!!
@Gibby I have to say that Tundra's faces don't look dragony at all, these guys are perfectly fine :O
@Gibby I have to say that Tundra's faces don't look dragony at all, these guys are perfectly fine :O
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 46 47