Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Discard a Nest
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
So... back in the early days of Flight Rising, there was a breeding mechanic known as "egg rot" where untended eggs would have a chance of dying each day an incubation was missed. You would be prompted to discard the dead eggs at hatching time if any were present. Those eggs were lost. [img]http://flightrising.com/images/nests/7/1healthy_4dead.png[/img] Due to the requirement of having to log in at least once each day, and punishing harshly if that requirement could not be met, this feature was deemed too unfair to players, and was removed. While this removal of Egg Rot did make breeding much friendlier to casual play, it also cost us something: the ability to discard a nest. -- Ever breed the wrong dragons? Well, wouldn't it be so much better if you could just dump the eggs and have no record of the accidental breeding? Or imagine this: You have a special pair of dragons who represent characters from a story. In the original story, these characters canonically have 2 children. You really want your dragon version of this pair to also have 2 children. No more, no less. With the current breeding mechanics you can only nest them once, cross your fingers and pray to the almighty RNG Goddess that it rolls 2 hatchlings. If it rolls more than that, you're just out of luck my friend. If it rolls less, you have to nest them again and hope you get no more than the amount you need. [b]I propose that an egg discarding option be implemented.[/b] This can be done in whichever way the staff sees fit, there are a few options: 1. A button located somewhere in the Nesting Grounds. 2. A button located somewhere on the parent dragons' page. 3. A purchasable, consumable item. That will allow us to either: A. Choose a number of eggs to discard from the nest. or B. Discard only the entire nest. Breeding cooldowns would, of course, [u]not[/u] be affected in any way with this feature. If you dump a nest, you would still have to wait the same amount of days for your dragons to come off cooldown. What would happen to the discarded eggs, you ask? Well, nothing. They'd cease to exist, poof, gone! As if your dragons had never had them in the first place. Just like what would've happened to them with egg rot, but unlike egg rot, it'd be [i]your decision[/i] and not a punishment. PROs: - Get the desired amount of offspring for a dragon pair. - Choose the wrong breeding partner? Save your dragons from accidental nestings! - Out of room, can't hatch a nest? BAM! and the eggs are gone. - A tiny amount of dragon population control. CONs: - Dragons with breeding cooldown and no (or fewer) hatchlings to show for it. (but hey, you didn't want 'em anyway) - Could've exalted those accidental dragons for Dominance, I guess? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I'm a Gen 1 collector, and I don't breed my dragons. Good goggles, no. But I do regularly breed good ol' user-bred dragons for fodder and the thought of accidentally choosing the wrong parent is terrifying. The potential to ruin my dragon forever is always there, haunting me every time I set my fodder up to breed, because there's no way to get rid of an accidental nest. (Speaking of, the option to remove dragons from the breeding list would be greatly appreciated, Admins. hint hint! but that's probably a topic for a different suggestion thread.) Any thoughts on this suggestion? Agree that we need a way to get rid of unwanted eggs? Disagree?
So... back in the early days of Flight Rising, there was a breeding mechanic known as "egg rot" where untended eggs would have a chance of dying each day an incubation was missed.
You would be prompted to discard the dead eggs at hatching time if any were present. Those eggs were lost.

1healthy_4dead.png

Due to the requirement of having to log in at least once each day, and punishing harshly if that requirement could not be met, this feature was deemed too unfair to players, and was removed. While this removal of Egg Rot did make breeding much friendlier to casual play, it also cost us something: the ability to discard a nest.

--

Ever breed the wrong dragons?
Well, wouldn't it be so much better if you could just dump the eggs and have no record of the accidental breeding?

Or imagine this: You have a special pair of dragons who represent characters from a story. In the original story, these characters canonically have 2 children. You really want your dragon version of this pair to also have 2 children. No more, no less.

With the current breeding mechanics you can only nest them once, cross your fingers and pray to the almighty RNG Goddess that it rolls 2 hatchlings.
If it rolls more than that, you're just out of luck my friend. If it rolls less, you have to nest them again and hope you get no more than the amount you need.

I propose that an egg discarding option be implemented.
This can be done in whichever way the staff sees fit, there are a few options:
1. A button located somewhere in the Nesting Grounds.
2. A button located somewhere on the parent dragons' page.
3. A purchasable, consumable item.

That will allow us to either:
A. Choose a number of eggs to discard from the nest.
or
B. Discard only the entire nest.

Breeding cooldowns would, of course, not be affected in any way with this feature. If you dump a nest, you would still have to wait the same amount of days for your dragons to come off cooldown.

What would happen to the discarded eggs, you ask?
Well, nothing. They'd cease to exist, poof, gone! As if your dragons had never had them in the first place. Just like what would've happened to them with egg rot, but unlike egg rot, it'd be your decision and not a punishment.

PROs:
- Get the desired amount of offspring for a dragon pair.
- Choose the wrong breeding partner? Save your dragons from accidental nestings!
- Out of room, can't hatch a nest? BAM! and the eggs are gone.
- A tiny amount of dragon population control.

CONs:
- Dragons with breeding cooldown and no (or fewer) hatchlings to show for it. (but hey, you didn't want 'em anyway)
- Could've exalted those accidental dragons for Dominance, I guess?

I'm a Gen 1 collector, and I don't breed my dragons. Good goggles, no. But I do regularly breed good ol' user-bred dragons for fodder and the thought of accidentally choosing the wrong parent is terrifying. The potential to ruin my dragon forever is always there, haunting me every time I set my fodder up to breed, because there's no way to get rid of an accidental nest.

(Speaking of, the option to remove dragons from the breeding list would be greatly appreciated, Admins. hint hint!
but that's probably a topic for a different suggestion thread.)

Any thoughts on this suggestion?
Agree that we need a way to get rid of unwanted eggs? Disagree?
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
I would support a feature that lets you discart the entire nest.

I'm not so sure on the 'choose the number of eggs to throw away' thing. Sounds too much like making breeding a picnic.
I would support a feature that lets you discart the entire nest.

I'm not so sure on the 'choose the number of eggs to throw away' thing. Sounds too much like making breeding a picnic.
@zenzic I love this idea, even though I'd propably feel a bit bad when discarding eggs/nests, but all of your points are well thought and I think it'd be a good addition to the game =)
@zenzic I love this idea, even though I'd propably feel a bit bad when discarding eggs/nests, but all of your points are well thought and I think it'd be a good addition to the game =)
She/Her
FR+9
[quote name="Ismaiel" date=2016-03-17 03:17:13] I'm not so sure on the 'choose the number of eggs to throw away' thing. Sounds too much like making breeding a picnic. [/quote] With egg rot you could actually choose how many eggs you wanted to keep, simply by purposefully letting one rot each day, until you had the desired amount of eggs left alive. (If more rotted than you wanted? No problem, let the whole nest die and try again) I'm not sure if "full nest dump only" would be any more balanced than "choose to dump x eggs". Not many breeders want [i]less[/i] eggs from a breeding, afterall. You definitely gain no monetary advantage by hatching less dragons (less to sell, less to exalt, less profit to be gained!), especially since you'll have to wait for cooldown as usual. Dumping eggs is mostly for accidents, lair space issues, or lore reasons.
Ismaiel wrote on 2016-03-17:

With egg rot you could actually choose how many eggs you wanted to keep, simply by purposefully letting one rot each day, until you had the desired amount of eggs left alive.
(If more rotted than you wanted? No problem, let the whole nest die and try again)

I'm not sure if "full nest dump only" would be any more balanced than "choose to dump x eggs".
Not many breeders want less eggs from a breeding, afterall. You definitely gain no monetary advantage by hatching less dragons (less to sell, less to exalt, less profit to be gained!), especially since you'll have to wait for cooldown as usual.
Dumping eggs is mostly for accidents, lair space issues, or lore reasons.
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
As Ismaiel said, I'd support an option to discard a whole nest, but not selecting the number of eggs to discard.

I get wanting to have a specific number of offspring on a dragon (my icon dragon for example, I want one egg). But being able to pick becomes too easy.
As Ismaiel said, I'd support an option to discard a whole nest, but not selecting the number of eggs to discard.

I get wanting to have a specific number of offspring on a dragon (my icon dragon for example, I want one egg). But being able to pick becomes too easy.
I think I'm on the same page as most people here when I say that I'd support an item that discards the entire nest as oppose to choosing how many eggs I want to discard.
I think I'm on the same page as most people here when I say that I'd support an item that discards the entire nest as oppose to choosing how many eggs I want to discard.
Tn4aWhc.png
I'd support this if it made you able to discard a whole nest only.

It would be of benefit to those who accidentally breed the wrong dragons, which does happen. However, I do think that the cooldown should remain to prevent people trying and re-trying for higher numbers of eggs when a new breed or gene is released. I would be fine with a button or a consumable item, like a boon, though given the fact that you gain nothing, it should be cheaper.

I don't support picking the number of eggs. This adds too much control, even if it's just in a downward direction. I know it would appeal to those with clan lore who have it in their head that one pair only had one child or whatever, but I don't think that the ease of usermade lore should take priority over game mechanics.
I'd support this if it made you able to discard a whole nest only.

It would be of benefit to those who accidentally breed the wrong dragons, which does happen. However, I do think that the cooldown should remain to prevent people trying and re-trying for higher numbers of eggs when a new breed or gene is released. I would be fine with a button or a consumable item, like a boon, though given the fact that you gain nothing, it should be cheaper.

I don't support picking the number of eggs. This adds too much control, even if it's just in a downward direction. I know it would appeal to those with clan lore who have it in their head that one pair only had one child or whatever, but I don't think that the ease of usermade lore should take priority over game mechanics.
byGS9bb.png VtFVqTA.png
UK time. Sorry for timezone-related delays in responses. They/Them.
Support. I'd love to be able to limit all my nests to one egg for lore reasons. Right now I just breed each dragon only once and never again so I don't get too many babies. This would mean I could have siblings of different ages.
Support. I'd love to be able to limit all my nests to one egg for lore reasons. Right now I just breed each dragon only once and never again so I don't get too many babies. This would mean I could have siblings of different ages.
WpjbI2U.gif
squid/winter | FR+3 | they/them | spelled squidra-gon (like octagon)
Sounds good - even though I'm not going to use such feature (I like to see what I can mix up using different, sometimes quite random pairings), I guess some ppl may want it.

+
Sounds good - even though I'm not going to use such feature (I like to see what I can mix up using different, sometimes quite random pairings), I guess some ppl may want it.

+
00a-Sig-hatchery.png01-Sig-art.png04-Sig-hub.png
00b-Sig-hatchery.png02-Sig-wishlist.png05-Sig-fam.png
00c-Sig-hatchery.png03-Sig-CFCE.png06-Sig-empty.png
Huge support for being able to discard a whole nest - maybe even with a couple day cooldown on the nest to prevent people from discarding one-egg fodder nests just to use that nest to breed more fodder.
Huge support for being able to discard a whole nest - maybe even with a couple day cooldown on the nest to prevent people from discarding one-egg fodder nests just to use that nest to breed more fodder.
all of my hoards are located here! // free level twenty-four cauldron!
tumblr_inline_nfx4qkzLCB1r6zydg.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7