Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | [new breed] Dunelancer - new art
1 2 3

Reaper%20dragon_zps8y1jaejx.png
If someone would like to make a template version, I've provided the lines here. I'll likely colour one myself with pencils at some point.

Name: Dunelancer (credit to Stormdragon)
Obtained: In my dreams~
Rarity: 30 rare
Breeding Cooldown: No breeding, GET BACK TO WORK!
Diet: Meat, insects, plants

Overview
Dunelancers originate from the highlands of the Shifting Expanse. These territorial, combative dragons do not get on well with others of their own kind, and even more poorly with other dragon species. Despite this, some have begun wandering into new lands, looking for an easier life than scratching a living out of the desert.

Physical Attributes
Dunelancers are large (10 metres +) dragons covered in plate-like scales with sharpened edges, with many of their joints protected by protruding blades. Although they are bipeds, dunelancers can balance themselves forward on their two massive foreclaws for greater stability, which they often do when weathering the frequent sandstorms of their homeland. When not in use, they tend to tuck their arms against their sides is a somewhat birdlike fashion, so as to keep their long claws from getting dull. Dunelancers can (and do) eat almost anything, allowing them to make the most out of whatever opportunities the desert provides. They are strong and competent fliers, using the desert thermals to hold them effortlessly aloft for hours at a time.

Social
Because of the highly competitive environment that they live in, dunelancers are mostly solitary. Intrusion into an individual's territory, if detected, is met with a ferocious display of aggression, which is usually enough to drive the offending party off. This makes looking for a mate a difficult prospect, so they tend to form long-term pairs. Eggs are tended and guarded jealously, but hatchlings enjoy only a brief window of parental care before they are driven from the territory to make their own way in the world. Happily, young dunelancers are canny and resourceful, equipped with everything they need to survive in the desert. Dunelancers that join mixed-breed clans tend to need a period of acclimatization while they integrate with others. After it becomes apparent that no one is going to steal their food, they usually dive into clan life wholeheartedly.

Lairs
Dunelancers cannot dig effectively with their large foreclaws, and are only able to make shallow scrapes in the packed earth with their hind limbs. They will appropriate lairs and dens from other dragons and desert creatures given the opportunity. In mixed-breed clans, dunelancers are usually given a large chamber to themselves - their long claws are a hazard even in their sleep, and their snoring is truly frightful.

Tactics
As one might expect, dunelancers are physical combatants, charging into the fray with claws upraised. These devastating weapons can cut through hide, scale, and bone with frightening ease. Their beaks are lined with sharp teeth as well, but their bite is comparatively weak. Dunelancers prefer to attack from cover if they can, but will also dive down on a target from the air. In aerial combat they try to employ hit-and-run tactics, slashing at their opponent's wing membranes to destabilize them and gain the advantage. Very few dunelancers lack the mental discipline for magic.

Reaper%20dragon_zps8y1jaejx.png
If someone would like to make a template version, I've provided the lines here. I'll likely colour one myself with pencils at some point.

Name: Dunelancer (credit to Stormdragon)
Obtained: In my dreams~
Rarity: 30 rare
Breeding Cooldown: No breeding, GET BACK TO WORK!
Diet: Meat, insects, plants

Overview
Dunelancers originate from the highlands of the Shifting Expanse. These territorial, combative dragons do not get on well with others of their own kind, and even more poorly with other dragon species. Despite this, some have begun wandering into new lands, looking for an easier life than scratching a living out of the desert.

Physical Attributes
Dunelancers are large (10 metres +) dragons covered in plate-like scales with sharpened edges, with many of their joints protected by protruding blades. Although they are bipeds, dunelancers can balance themselves forward on their two massive foreclaws for greater stability, which they often do when weathering the frequent sandstorms of their homeland. When not in use, they tend to tuck their arms against their sides is a somewhat birdlike fashion, so as to keep their long claws from getting dull. Dunelancers can (and do) eat almost anything, allowing them to make the most out of whatever opportunities the desert provides. They are strong and competent fliers, using the desert thermals to hold them effortlessly aloft for hours at a time.

Social
Because of the highly competitive environment that they live in, dunelancers are mostly solitary. Intrusion into an individual's territory, if detected, is met with a ferocious display of aggression, which is usually enough to drive the offending party off. This makes looking for a mate a difficult prospect, so they tend to form long-term pairs. Eggs are tended and guarded jealously, but hatchlings enjoy only a brief window of parental care before they are driven from the territory to make their own way in the world. Happily, young dunelancers are canny and resourceful, equipped with everything they need to survive in the desert. Dunelancers that join mixed-breed clans tend to need a period of acclimatization while they integrate with others. After it becomes apparent that no one is going to steal their food, they usually dive into clan life wholeheartedly.

Lairs
Dunelancers cannot dig effectively with their large foreclaws, and are only able to make shallow scrapes in the packed earth with their hind limbs. They will appropriate lairs and dens from other dragons and desert creatures given the opportunity. In mixed-breed clans, dunelancers are usually given a large chamber to themselves - their long claws are a hazard even in their sleep, and their snoring is truly frightful.

Tactics
As one might expect, dunelancers are physical combatants, charging into the fray with claws upraised. These devastating weapons can cut through hide, scale, and bone with frightening ease. Their beaks are lined with sharp teeth as well, but their bite is comparatively weak. Dunelancers prefer to attack from cover if they can, but will also dive down on a target from the air. In aerial combat they try to employ hit-and-run tactics, slashing at their opponent's wing membranes to destabilize them and gain the advantage. Very few dunelancers lack the mental discipline for magic.
RFX4miZ.png
Male dunelancer head detail (beige/goldenrod)

dunelancer%20male%20head_zps4q24fypd.png
"SKREEEEEE!"

Dunelancer hatchling (seafoam/ice)

dunelancer%20hatch_zpsc5ufkdzp.png

Now with genes for females (top) and males (bottom)

Dunelancer%20bust%20basic_zps1klbifh9.png Dunelancer%20bust%20genes1_zpsmhf3mvj9.png

Dunelancer%20bust%20genes2_zpsyq1zcyjx.png

Male dunelancer head detail (beige/goldenrod)

dunelancer%20male%20head_zps4q24fypd.png
"SKREEEEEE!"

Dunelancer hatchling (seafoam/ice)

dunelancer%20hatch_zpsc5ufkdzp.png

Now with genes for females (top) and males (bottom)

Dunelancer%20bust%20basic_zps1klbifh9.png Dunelancer%20bust%20genes1_zpsmhf3mvj9.png

Dunelancer%20bust%20genes2_zpsyq1zcyjx.png

RFX4miZ.png
I like the way this is headed, but right now it looks like a combination of skydancers and Ridgebacks. :v or maybe that's just me.
I like the way this is headed, but right now it looks like a combination of skydancers and Ridgebacks. :v or maybe that's just me.
tumblr_n8h81aIYJy1si697do4_500.png
@Timiculous
Dunelancer
@Timiculous
Dunelancer
H0YTYF1.png CAgQpkV.png 7p4ZvEX.png TX13MWN.png
@TheAlchemist

It's a similar pose to the female skydancer, I'll admit - it's hard to present the underside of the wing within a box and have it fully unfurled. They're meant to look somewhat like ridgebacks, in the way that pearlcatchers somewhat resemble imperials.

@Stormdragon

I love it!
@TheAlchemist

It's a similar pose to the female skydancer, I'll admit - it's hard to present the underside of the wing within a box and have it fully unfurled. They're meant to look somewhat like ridgebacks, in the way that pearlcatchers somewhat resemble imperials.

@Stormdragon

I love it!
RFX4miZ.png
Obtained "In my dreams" and rarity "30'? What?
Obtained "In my dreams" and rarity "30'? What?
@Timiculous

It seems a little too close to other breeds. Spiky skin and large claws and borrowing are already ridgeback things? And how do you obtain them if they can't be bred?
@Timiculous

It seems a little too close to other breeds. Spiky skin and large claws and borrowing are already ridgeback things? And how do you obtain them if they can't be bred?
18880fa67fd73aab211edb30cbc19b73.gif
@Doughnut

I'm pretty sure I didn't mention "borrowing" at all in their entry. The long claws are meant as an unsubtle nod to the Stormcatcher's bladelike forelimbs, as is the single long crest. While they do have scales with sharpened edges, I don't feel they're weaponized to the degree that ridgebacks have.

Sadly, with the exception of a much more aquatic dragon, there's bound to be a sameness in body plan of most new dragons, unless the devs model it off of something way out there, like an anteater.

The breeding stuff was just meant as a joke, since it's not a real breed, the methods of obtaining it are moot.
@Doughnut

I'm pretty sure I didn't mention "borrowing" at all in their entry. The long claws are meant as an unsubtle nod to the Stormcatcher's bladelike forelimbs, as is the single long crest. While they do have scales with sharpened edges, I don't feel they're weaponized to the degree that ridgebacks have.

Sadly, with the exception of a much more aquatic dragon, there's bound to be a sameness in body plan of most new dragons, unless the devs model it off of something way out there, like an anteater.

The breeding stuff was just meant as a joke, since it's not a real breed, the methods of obtaining it are moot.
RFX4miZ.png
@Timiculous Is this a male? Can you show us a female and a babe? I think this is lovely.

However, I think it would be funny if they ate only plants. Can you see them hacking fruit from trees? Mowing fields of grasses? Trimming vines from ruins? LOL.
@Timiculous Is this a male? Can you show us a female and a babe? I think this is lovely.

However, I think it would be funny if they ate only plants. Can you see them hacking fruit from trees? Mowing fields of grasses? Trimming vines from ruins? LOL.
mM2VM9X.png
@Emberglo

A bit like a therizinosaurus, to that end.

This one's actually a female, the male will have a big webbed frill under his head crest for display and a slightly different tail shape. I've had a couple of hatchling iterations I'm not happy with yet but it's getting there.
@Emberglo

A bit like a therizinosaurus, to that end.

This one's actually a female, the male will have a big webbed frill under his head crest for display and a slightly different tail shape. I've had a couple of hatchling iterations I'm not happy with yet but it's getting there.
RFX4miZ.png
1 2 3