Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | More Meteorite Items?
1 2
So, I'm a brand new player as of this month and I'm probably going to get something wrong in here, but bear with me, please. :3 I joined the Arcane flight largely because of the reference to meteorites in the flight description. But I was surprised to learn recently that there is apparently only one meteorite-related item currently implemented: [item=Arcanist Meteorite Miniature] the Arcanist Meteorite Miniature. Which is great, and I've already begun hoarding them. But there are so many opportunities for cool meteor-themed items! Meteorites are [i]awesome[/i], you guys. Let's start with meteorite gemstones. On Earth, when there are gemstones inside meteorites -- something that really happens, if infrequently -- they are usually olivine, which is an olive-green variety of magnesium iron silicate also known as peridot. [url=https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f7/0e/03/f70e03d3117d2a9da17359892bb01715.jpg]Here's a slice of metal meteorite chock-full of olivine inclusions, held up to the light[/url]. [b](Note: People with trypophobia may find that image unsettling.)[/b] I know the dev team could do some great stuff with this. But even meteorites without olivine in them are cool (and the majority of metal meteorites that land on Earth don't have olivine inclusions). Metal meteorites are made of iron with some nickel mixed in, similar to but not identical to the composition of Earth's core. The iron alloys in meteorites form crystals that create gorgeous interwoven designs called Widmanstätten patterns (or Thomson structures). [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widmanst%C3%A4tten_pattern]Here's the Wikipedia article about these patterns, with photos[/url]. I bet they would work great as a skin or accent. Also, meteorite iron was the only iron humans worked until we learned how to smelt iron ore to remove impurities. It's likely to be magnetic, though it isn't always. I'd love to see a Meteoric Iron material that could be collected to trade up for an item made from it, maybe a sword or sceptre. Then there are tektites. Not actually meteorites themselves, they're a kind of natural glass formed by the impact of a meteor with terrestrial rock and dirt. They often form into funky shapes and have [url=https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mo%C5%82dawit_-we%C5%82tawit,_Czechy2.jpg]a pockmarked, otherworldly texture[/url]. The ones we get on Earth are usually black, brown, or less commonly green, but in a fantasy world they could be any color. Questions, comments, criticisms, corrections or complaints are all welcome.
So, I'm a brand new player as of this month and I'm probably going to get something wrong in here, but bear with me, please. :3

I joined the Arcane flight largely because of the reference to meteorites in the flight description. But I was surprised to learn recently that there is apparently only one meteorite-related item currently implemented:
Arcanist Meteorite Miniature the Arcanist Meteorite Miniature.

Which is great, and I've already begun hoarding them. But there are so many opportunities for cool meteor-themed items! Meteorites are awesome, you guys.

Let's start with meteorite gemstones. On Earth, when there are gemstones inside meteorites -- something that really happens, if infrequently -- they are usually olivine, which is an olive-green variety of magnesium iron silicate also known as peridot. Here's a slice of metal meteorite chock-full of olivine inclusions, held up to the light. (Note: People with trypophobia may find that image unsettling.) I know the dev team could do some great stuff with this.

But even meteorites without olivine in them are cool (and the majority of metal meteorites that land on Earth don't have olivine inclusions). Metal meteorites are made of iron with some nickel mixed in, similar to but not identical to the composition of Earth's core. The iron alloys in meteorites form crystals that create gorgeous interwoven designs called Widmanstätten patterns (or Thomson structures). Here's the Wikipedia article about these patterns, with photos. I bet they would work great as a skin or accent.

Also, meteorite iron was the only iron humans worked until we learned how to smelt iron ore to remove impurities. It's likely to be magnetic, though it isn't always. I'd love to see a Meteoric Iron material that could be collected to trade up for an item made from it, maybe a sword or sceptre.

Then there are tektites. Not actually meteorites themselves, they're a kind of natural glass formed by the impact of a meteor with terrestrial rock and dirt. They often form into funky shapes and have a pockmarked, otherworldly texture. The ones we get on Earth are usually black, brown, or less commonly green, but in a fantasy world they could be any color.

Questions, comments, criticisms, corrections or complaints are all welcome.
...Q2qxxGt.png
@Jackabug,I absolutely agree with you,FR needs more meteorite-themed items ! ! !
and,although I don't know as much as you do about meteorites,one would think that in a game about Dragons,meteorites would be an abundant item. . .
@Jackabug,I absolutely agree with you,FR needs more meteorite-themed items ! ! !
and,although I don't know as much as you do about meteorites,one would think that in a game about Dragons,meteorites would be an abundant item. . .
Support !
Support !
tumblr_nq0dlcmuyk1svbq5wo1_540.png
Support. I love astronomy so the Arcane Flight needs more love
Support. I love astronomy so the Arcane Flight needs more love
trust_tny_copy_by_vet_in_training-d9yykll.pngd11c7dff8955b6e44fc9041119e7f912.gif25tdzx0.gifTPONzCn.pngEvGHIgA.png

Support

Also.
Don't let the trypophobics see that image. They're already complaining about giraffe and hex. They'll get ya too if they see it. Might wanna put a warning up, for the sake of your own sanity better safe than sorry.
Support

Also.
Don't let the trypophobics see that image. They're already complaining about giraffe and hex. They'll get ya too if they see it. Might wanna put a warning up, for the sake of your own sanity better safe than sorry.
ElFi6Vj.pngGuess you could say I'm on ice.BNEyPcu.png
Oh, I like this idea!
Oh, I like this idea!
fOSQCIF.pngFR+3zzLDnv4.png Stuff I write
Bump because yes!
Bump because yes!
1421_150px_starlight18_by_miirshroom-dbyz1qc.pngR3OpbRR.png
R3OpbRR.png[/img]
SuYkYP9.png
tumblr_op6tymvBq91wo8ivwo1_100.gif[/url]
tumblr_obcrybYghZ1tfzajgo1_r1_500.gif
Aaaaah, support <3
Aaaaah, support <3
JNq0Ryb.pngtumblr_p6m92rH3MJ1w8xkufo5_250.png
Yes! More space stuff is always a great idea, I would totally hoard these!
Yes! More space stuff is always a great idea, I would totally hoard these!
jCVhFoZ.gif
Support~!
Completely agree with you @Jackabug!!
And here, friendly bump to help this get noticed! ^w^
Support~!
Completely agree with you @Jackabug!!
And here, friendly bump to help this get noticed! ^w^
i46hpPh.gif
1 2