Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 22
Yup, another Unnamed thread! :D Instead of forcing exalters to name dragons before exalting, or sellers before selling, or to make collapsible lists, or... whatever, really, I propose the following: letting people change any name in their dragon's profile - both offsprings and parents - to a "nickname" of their choosing. This nickname would be shown only on the profile page of the dragon and would provide a link to the dragon like the real name does now (the dragon itself would display the correct name, of course). Basically, [code][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=8122606]Heder[/url][/code] we have now on the profile pages would be changed to [code][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=8122606]*SillyNoodle*[/url][/code] where we would be able to put anything we want in those * * I believe this will not only help with the infamous Unnamed issue (as everyone would be able to place any name they like instead, to keep their profiles neat) but also would get rid of spite exalting as a thing, as it would be literally impossible to ruin other person's dragon info anymore - the owner would just erase the undesirable name (not only Unnamed or something offensive, btw, but also any name they consider unfitting, like IAMIRONMAN in the offspring list of a non-Marvel-themed pair where all the other kids are non-capslocked or four Pebbles/Snowballs/Glitterbombs in a row). Just imagine: no Unnamed in your list no matter what happens to the hatchling itself! You can name all the kids of your plague subspecies pair SNOTBLOB and see the glory of 30 snotblobs in a neat row while still selling them to people that can call them whatever they like. Always wanted to name some pair's kids after your favorite song's lyrics? Look no further! You can change it back if you don't like this song anymore, too! And what about the parents? Ever wanted for your Harry Potter dragon to have parents named Lily and James? Shade and Void for a demonic creature? Blue and Yellow for your XXX Green dragon named, well, Green? Or name them None and None and pretend you have a G1 imp? You can do it now! The default option would be the real name, like it is now, and if the dragon is exalted the info about nicknames is erased too to save up server space. I believe the solution I propose should be easy to code and implement, too. Opinions? :3 I hope I managed to explain it well! Edit: as many people suggested some way to differentiate nicknames from real names, maybe make a small window stating the real name appear when you hover over the name, without additional symbols/font changes/color differentiation. That way if you want to click it you'll see that it's a nickname, but otherwise the list would look 100% cohesive and neat :D Some small symbol, or a different color, or italics (or whatever else) are also an option, to prevent scamming. Edit 2 to avoid confusion: the changes in the list would be seen to anyone who looks at it, both the owner and the guests of the lair, otherwise there's not much point in it and the fully collapsible list would work better :) Though a toggle is totally fine with me, too - if someone doesn't want to see the nicknames, they might choose the default option. Personally, I'd prefer seeing both mine and other people's nicknames! Now we have a mockup thanks to Lisegathe! :D [img]https://i.imgur.com/xaOGmS0.png[/img] This icon could be visible only to owner if there were no changes made, and to everyone if there were - and work as a toggle (click the pencil to see the original list if it's not your own dragon, click to edit if it's yours). Then it would be obvious that the list was edited and it would be easy to see the original version but the list itself would look clean. This pencil can be put next to "Lineage", too, to be more noticeable.
Yup, another Unnamed thread! :D

Instead of forcing exalters to name dragons before exalting, or sellers before selling, or to make collapsible lists, or... whatever, really, I propose the following: letting people change any name in their dragon's profile - both offsprings and parents - to a "nickname" of their choosing.

This nickname would be shown only on the profile page of the dragon and would provide a link to the dragon like the real name does now (the dragon itself would display the correct name, of course). Basically,
Code:
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=8122606]Heder[/url]
we have now on the profile pages would be changed to
Code:
[url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=8122606]*SillyNoodle*[/url]
where we would be able to put anything we want in those * *

I believe this will not only help with the infamous Unnamed issue (as everyone would be able to place any name they like instead, to keep their profiles neat) but also would get rid of spite exalting as a thing, as it would be literally impossible to ruin other person's dragon info anymore - the owner would just erase the undesirable name (not only Unnamed or something offensive, btw, but also any name they consider unfitting, like IAMIRONMAN in the offspring list of a non-Marvel-themed pair where all the other kids are non-capslocked or four Pebbles/Snowballs/Glitterbombs in a row).

Just imagine: no Unnamed in your list no matter what happens to the hatchling itself! You can name all the kids of your plague subspecies pair SNOTBLOB and see the glory of 30 snotblobs in a neat row while still selling them to people that can call them whatever they like. Always wanted to name some pair's kids after your favorite song's lyrics? Look no further! You can change it back if you don't like this song anymore, too!

And what about the parents? Ever wanted for your Harry Potter dragon to have parents named Lily and James? Shade and Void for a demonic creature? Blue and Yellow for your XXX Green dragon named, well, Green? Or name them None and None and pretend you have a G1 imp? You can do it now!

The default option would be the real name, like it is now, and if the dragon is exalted the info about nicknames is erased too to save up server space. I believe the solution I propose should be easy to code and implement, too.

Opinions? :3 I hope I managed to explain it well!

Edit: as many people suggested some way to differentiate nicknames from real names, maybe make a small window stating the real name appear when you hover over the name, without additional symbols/font changes/color differentiation. That way if you want to click it you'll see that it's a nickname, but otherwise the list would look 100% cohesive and neat :D
Some small symbol, or a different color, or italics (or whatever else) are also an option, to prevent scamming.

Edit 2 to avoid confusion: the changes in the list would be seen to anyone who looks at it, both the owner and the guests of the lair, otherwise there's not much point in it and the fully collapsible list would work better :) Though a toggle is totally fine with me, too - if someone doesn't want to see the nicknames, they might choose the default option. Personally, I'd prefer seeing both mine and other people's nicknames!

Now we have a mockup thanks to Lisegathe! :D
xaOGmS0.png
This icon could be visible only to owner if there were no changes made, and to everyone if there were - and work as a toggle (click the pencil to see the original list if it's not your own dragon, click to edit if it's yours). Then it would be obvious that the list was edited and it would be easy to see the original version but the list itself would look clean.
This pencil can be put next to "Lineage", too, to be more noticeable.
@Valemora I think this could potentially work, though I'm still on the fence.

But I think that the nicknames would need to stick out as being nicknames, in some way - if not, it might be confusing for someone who clicked a link to a Herbert but wound up on a page with a dragon named Bob. Italicise them or something, maybe?
@Valemora I think this could potentially work, though I'm still on the fence.

But I think that the nicknames would need to stick out as being nicknames, in some way - if not, it might be confusing for someone who clicked a link to a Herbert but wound up on a page with a dragon named Bob. Italicise them or something, maybe?
I was thinking of something similar but I couldn't think of a good way to word it so I'm excited to see someone else bring it up and explain it better than I could have!!

I think the current collapsible list feature that's in the works should still be implemented and I would prefer it over this if I had to choose one over the other, but I like this because I can't think of any real downsides other than the possibility of people abusing it (in a way it would function as a name change but it would be presumably free? And there's also the very small possibility of people renaming dragons for spite purposes)

I am interested to see other opinions on this since I did have a similar idea myself
I was thinking of something similar but I couldn't think of a good way to word it so I'm excited to see someone else bring it up and explain it better than I could have!!

I think the current collapsible list feature that's in the works should still be implemented and I would prefer it over this if I had to choose one over the other, but I like this because I can't think of any real downsides other than the possibility of people abusing it (in a way it would function as a name change but it would be presumably free? And there's also the very small possibility of people renaming dragons for spite purposes)

I am interested to see other opinions on this since I did have a similar idea myself
@Zues

Perhaps it could be done in a way where ONLY the person who owns that lair could see the nickname. They could link to the dragon through the Nickname on the forums, but someone going through a dragon's lineage would only see the true names of the dragon, not nicknames.
@Zues

Perhaps it could be done in a way where ONLY the person who owns that lair could see the nickname. They could link to the dragon through the Nickname on the forums, but someone going through a dragon's lineage would only see the true names of the dragon, not nicknames.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Perhaps it could be something like a rename offspring scroll that costs the same as a regular renaming scroll. You use it on the PARENT dragon (either one) and then it brings up a list of the current offspring and you can input names for them. (all on one scroll)

As Isaid before, this should only affect the owner of the lair, everyone else would see the normal offspring names, perhaps the names could be a different color to denote that you have used a rename type scroll on that parent. If the dragon is sold or exalted, then of course the list would go back to normal.

The only problem is I am not quite sure how easy it would be to do something like this and have it only affect that one clan. It also would potentially cause problems if the parents have the same offspring named differently (or if it is a simply cosmetic change, then possibly not, just might be slightly confusing if you own both parents)
Perhaps it could be something like a rename offspring scroll that costs the same as a regular renaming scroll. You use it on the PARENT dragon (either one) and then it brings up a list of the current offspring and you can input names for them. (all on one scroll)

As Isaid before, this should only affect the owner of the lair, everyone else would see the normal offspring names, perhaps the names could be a different color to denote that you have used a rename type scroll on that parent. If the dragon is sold or exalted, then of course the list would go back to normal.

The only problem is I am not quite sure how easy it would be to do something like this and have it only affect that one clan. It also would potentially cause problems if the parents have the same offspring named differently (or if it is a simply cosmetic change, then possibly not, just might be slightly confusing if you own both parents)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Supporting because why not.
Supporting because why not.
66MHIIb.png
I support most options that keep other peoples noses out of my lair.

I support most options that keep other peoples noses out of my lair.

Stuff will one day go here.
Huge support. I could finally be rid of my newbie mistakes with usung the RNG and not checking before hitting accept (I really regret that...). Plus I'd be rid of the 'real names' in my offspring list without harassing anyone in the process.

And yeah.. nicknames most likely would have to be clear. I think italics work best - its easy to see but also easy to ignore.
Huge support. I could finally be rid of my newbie mistakes with usung the RNG and not checking before hitting accept (I really regret that...). Plus I'd be rid of the 'real names' in my offspring list without harassing anyone in the process.

And yeah.. nicknames most likely would have to be clear. I think italics work best - its easy to see but also easy to ignore.
[quote name="Zues" date=2016-01-05 12:52:45] @ Valemora I think this could potentially work, though I'm still on the fence. But I think that the nicknames would need to stick out as being nicknames, in some way - if not, it might be confusing for someone who clicked a link to a Herbert but wound up on a page with a dragon named Bob. Italicise them or something, maybe? [/quote] [color=#585c4f] I originally thought this too, but differentiating between them visually wouldn't necessarily stop confusion- and for some people it may cause more confusion? If someone's unaware that names can be changed in an offspring list as per op's suggestion, whether or not they're italicized (or otherwise differentiated) would still be confusing. Once they are aware of the update, I don't think having them differentiated or not would cause any confusion so long as they're aware of the new mechanic ^^
Zues wrote on 2016-01-05:
@ Valemora I think this could potentially work, though I'm still on the fence.

I originally thought this too, but differentiating between them visually wouldn't necessarily stop confusion- and for some people it may cause more confusion?

If someone's unaware that names can be changed in an offspring list as per op's suggestion, whether or not they're italicized (or otherwise differentiated) would still be confusing. Once they are aware of the update, I don't think having them differentiated or not would cause any confusion so long as they're aware of the new mechanic ^^
@Zues
I don't think that would be necessary to differentiate as it wouldn't look neat if the names are a mishmash of colors or formatting font, and as chespin said people would soon get used to the possible difference in the names anyway :) Though if it's subtle enough, well... why not :3

@chespin
Well, you won't be able to change the name of the dragon itself without a scroll, of course! Only the info of the parents/offsprings, and most of the time those are unavailable for renaming anyway as they belong to other people or exalted.

@Jemadar
Oh, no-no, that would ruin the point of having a neat profile then :) It's like those cute bios with lots of pictures of items... with a broken code so they show only text to everyone except the owner. That's not pretty :( Also, it shouldn't mess the coding as this feature is basically a "prettifying" of the link and doesn't influence anything else so not much data processing is involved either.
@Zues
I don't think that would be necessary to differentiate as it wouldn't look neat if the names are a mishmash of colors or formatting font, and as chespin said people would soon get used to the possible difference in the names anyway :) Though if it's subtle enough, well... why not :3

@chespin
Well, you won't be able to change the name of the dragon itself without a scroll, of course! Only the info of the parents/offsprings, and most of the time those are unavailable for renaming anyway as they belong to other people or exalted.

@Jemadar
Oh, no-no, that would ruin the point of having a neat profile then :) It's like those cute bios with lots of pictures of items... with a broken code so they show only text to everyone except the owner. That's not pretty :( Also, it shouldn't mess the coding as this feature is basically a "prettifying" of the link and doesn't influence anything else so not much data processing is involved either.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 22