Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Random Mutation Dragon Breed
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
copy pasting from my blog lmao

What if there was a type of dragon that can only be resulted from breeding parents of different breeds?

For example, if you breed a pearlcatcher and an imp, you get a 1/100000 chance (or whatever value) of getting this dragon that is neither imp nor pearlcatcher but something else, let's call it a MUTANT but within the color range of the parents.

MUTANTs can be obtained by breeding any two different breeds and all breed combos would produce the same MUTANT type. (Thus, staff would only need to make ONE new dragon species that can be obtained by all non-matching breeding pairs)

In addition, this MUTANT cannot be bred with another MUTANT, but can breed with any other dragons and produce a non-MUTANT offspring.

This would make MUTANTs rare and also desirable if you want to match it with any dragon and creeate a 100% chance of having it be a non-MUTANT.

Example: MUTANT + Imp = 100% Imp

Furthermore, if the rates for getting a mutant is the same for rare dragons as it is for common or plentifuls, this would boost the popularity of plentifuls since they have shorter cooldown and create a bigger market for them, not to mention an increase in accents/skins popularity for plentifuls. Not only that, this mechanic would be accessible to all fr members and not only rich users who can afford it.

Thoughts?

edit; changed my wording for less confusion

Rebuttals and possible workarounds
Quote:
That's too many combo of dragons and breeds.
There is actually only ONE mutant breed. All and any combo works as long as they are different can produce a mutant.

What about the color range?
Mutant offsprings fall within the color range of its parents.

That will mess up the breeding pairs.
The idea was the chances of getting a mutant offspring so small that you are more likely to get the rare breed breeding with a plentiful than it is to get a mutant at all. Since you need to breed two different breeds of dragon, it won't be much more of an inconvenience than it is to get the wrong offspring from your pair.

It doesn't make sense they all can produce the same mutant.
It can be a super generic dragon breed that has qualities of the other breeds or it can in fact be one that fits none at all.
An explanation can always be some elemental magic that leaked to cause this mutation. There are many lores you can write to explain mutants, much like lores about how a very big imp can breed with a fae and why their eggs look like a coconut.

Is there a way to avoid getting a mutant at all?
Yeah. Dragons of the same breed don't produce mutants.
copy pasting from my blog lmao

What if there was a type of dragon that can only be resulted from breeding parents of different breeds?

For example, if you breed a pearlcatcher and an imp, you get a 1/100000 chance (or whatever value) of getting this dragon that is neither imp nor pearlcatcher but something else, let's call it a MUTANT but within the color range of the parents.

MUTANTs can be obtained by breeding any two different breeds and all breed combos would produce the same MUTANT type. (Thus, staff would only need to make ONE new dragon species that can be obtained by all non-matching breeding pairs)

In addition, this MUTANT cannot be bred with another MUTANT, but can breed with any other dragons and produce a non-MUTANT offspring.

This would make MUTANTs rare and also desirable if you want to match it with any dragon and creeate a 100% chance of having it be a non-MUTANT.

Example: MUTANT + Imp = 100% Imp

Furthermore, if the rates for getting a mutant is the same for rare dragons as it is for common or plentifuls, this would boost the popularity of plentifuls since they have shorter cooldown and create a bigger market for them, not to mention an increase in accents/skins popularity for plentifuls. Not only that, this mechanic would be accessible to all fr members and not only rich users who can afford it.

Thoughts?

edit; changed my wording for less confusion

Rebuttals and possible workarounds
Quote:
That's too many combo of dragons and breeds.
There is actually only ONE mutant breed. All and any combo works as long as they are different can produce a mutant.

What about the color range?
Mutant offsprings fall within the color range of its parents.

That will mess up the breeding pairs.
The idea was the chances of getting a mutant offspring so small that you are more likely to get the rare breed breeding with a plentiful than it is to get a mutant at all. Since you need to breed two different breeds of dragon, it won't be much more of an inconvenience than it is to get the wrong offspring from your pair.

It doesn't make sense they all can produce the same mutant.
It can be a super generic dragon breed that has qualities of the other breeds or it can in fact be one that fits none at all.
An explanation can always be some elemental magic that leaked to cause this mutation. There are many lores you can write to explain mutants, much like lores about how a very big imp can breed with a fae and why their eggs look like a coconut.

Is there a way to avoid getting a mutant at all?
Yeah. Dragons of the same breed don't produce mutants.
Collecting Ham-hams
FR+0
Art Twitter
Instagram
yaboiding.png
Oh heck yes. I love that!
Oh heck yes. I love that!
This is so super cool :o
This is so super cool :o
hhceN5m.png
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn ♠I'm Quin!
♠ Any pronouns!
nnnnnnnnnnn
Yooo that sounds rad! I'd love it if something like this got added!
Yooo that sounds rad! I'd love it if something like this got added!
WcUWOG9.png
I love this idea. I'd love for there to be a dragon breed that's rare from the start. I guess imperials are rare in that you can't buy a scroll for them, but I'd love a breed that doesn't have a scroll at all and can just be a happy happenstance.
I love this idea. I'd love for there to be a dragon breed that's rare from the start. I guess imperials are rare in that you can't buy a scroll for them, but I'd love a breed that doesn't have a scroll at all and can just be a happy happenstance.
That sounds hella! (I'm really into breeding and genetics, please forgive me for the upcoming text wall.)

If people wanted to breed their hybrids, it could be possible. You could play around with rarity percentages and act as if you bred 4 dragons at once! So, for instance, if we had a tundra/fae HYBRID and a guardian/mirror HYBRID and they had a four egg nest, they could produce a nest with one tundra, one fae, one guardian and one mirror. And, like other mixed pairings had the same 1/100 chance of producing another HYBRID. So, this way, even if you bred two HYBRIDs of the same mix, the chances of producing another HYBRID would still be 1/100.
That sounds hella! (I'm really into breeding and genetics, please forgive me for the upcoming text wall.)

If people wanted to breed their hybrids, it could be possible. You could play around with rarity percentages and act as if you bred 4 dragons at once! So, for instance, if we had a tundra/fae HYBRID and a guardian/mirror HYBRID and they had a four egg nest, they could produce a nest with one tundra, one fae, one guardian and one mirror. And, like other mixed pairings had the same 1/100 chance of producing another HYBRID. So, this way, even if you bred two HYBRIDs of the same mix, the chances of producing another HYBRID would still be 1/100.
b6af85db30eb4eff7c9ddc8cebdd0e55670c07ff.png ua2M4Jb.png b6af85db30eb4eff7c9ddc8cebdd0e55670c07ff.png

b4b840e099a9f5b084c8effd98748c1ecceaa6ca.png cre
b4b840e099a9f5b084c8effd98748c1ecceaa6ca.png she/her
b4b840e099a9f5b084c8effd98748c1ecceaa6ca.png directory
@cre, that would make tracing lineage a bit more compicated. But I guess it is possible, albeit the execution would be more difficult especially when it comes to rarity of breeds embed into the HYBRIDs themselves.

I was thinking of the concept along the line of a dragon version of "liger" or "mule" where they are sterile and cannot breed with each other to produce more hybrids but can breed with other dragons to produce offsprings.

Perhaps the chances of getting a HYBRID from a HYBRIDxOther combo COULD be something like 50% but if you make it <1% or even 0%, the desireabilities of them would remain pretty high up there without losing their value while at the same time be equally accesible to almost all players.
@cre, that would make tracing lineage a bit more compicated. But I guess it is possible, albeit the execution would be more difficult especially when it comes to rarity of breeds embed into the HYBRIDs themselves.

I was thinking of the concept along the line of a dragon version of "liger" or "mule" where they are sterile and cannot breed with each other to produce more hybrids but can breed with other dragons to produce offsprings.

Perhaps the chances of getting a HYBRID from a HYBRIDxOther combo COULD be something like 50% but if you make it <1% or even 0%, the desireabilities of them would remain pretty high up there without losing their value while at the same time be equally accesible to almost all players.
Collecting Ham-hams
FR+0
Art Twitter
Instagram
yaboiding.png
No support.
It'd just be so much work to have to make hybrids (which would be more than 100 of them), draw all the genes and apparel for them and continue to make new ones as more breeds come out. It'd be a lot of work, and I don't really see the point in it.
No support.
It'd just be so much work to have to make hybrids (which would be more than 100 of them), draw all the genes and apparel for them and continue to make new ones as more breeds come out. It'd be a lot of work, and I don't really see the point in it.
Tn4aWhc.png
No support.

Even if it is only one 'hybrid breed' instead of the often suggested 'one hybrid per mix' it is a breed completely valueless - you can't breed for it. Plus it messes up peoples breeding pairs and projects. Many players very carefully choose the mates to have a close predictable range. Throwing a wild card like a hybrid in there ocasionally would be like having a Obsidian to midnight pair that suddenly produces a tripple Magenta offspring. I'm sure the user would be very upset with this failiur. especially when it were two rare dragons that only had a one egg nest - 70 days for naught.
No support.

Even if it is only one 'hybrid breed' instead of the often suggested 'one hybrid per mix' it is a breed completely valueless - you can't breed for it. Plus it messes up peoples breeding pairs and projects. Many players very carefully choose the mates to have a close predictable range. Throwing a wild card like a hybrid in there ocasionally would be like having a Obsidian to midnight pair that suddenly produces a tripple Magenta offspring. I'm sure the user would be very upset with this failiur. especially when it were two rare dragons that only had a one egg nest - 70 days for naught.
@DinoGirl500 , can you elaborate on "to make hybrids(which would be more than 100 of them)" ?

My original suggestion was the idea that breeding any two different breeds would produce the same HYBRID. This would only require one new breed.

Since the site released Nocturnes just last year, one breed is not a monumental task that is out of reach unless you are talking about a different idea.

@Ismaiel, in my original statement, it was mentioned that "HYBRID but within the color range of the parents," but you do raise a valid point. The general idea of the wild card offspring is it is so monumentally small that it is more likely to get the rarer of the two breeding than it is to get a HYBRID. They would still fall within color range, though. I think the color wheel expansion would mess up the breeding pairs more than this ever would if it was to be implemented.
@DinoGirl500 , can you elaborate on "to make hybrids(which would be more than 100 of them)" ?

My original suggestion was the idea that breeding any two different breeds would produce the same HYBRID. This would only require one new breed.

Since the site released Nocturnes just last year, one breed is not a monumental task that is out of reach unless you are talking about a different idea.

@Ismaiel, in my original statement, it was mentioned that "HYBRID but within the color range of the parents," but you do raise a valid point. The general idea of the wild card offspring is it is so monumentally small that it is more likely to get the rarer of the two breeding than it is to get a HYBRID. They would still fall within color range, though. I think the color wheel expansion would mess up the breeding pairs more than this ever would if it was to be implemented.
Collecting Ham-hams
FR+0
Art Twitter
Instagram
yaboiding.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10