Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | [New Breed] Garghoul
1 2
Why not an Earth breed?

Garghoul%202%20small_zpsorzmxgqg.png
Male garghoul (Stone/Charcoal/basic tert)

Garghoul%20f_zps7guz8nkz.png
Female garghoul head detail (Silver/Platinum/basic tert)

Garghoul%20juv_zpsmut7ojkv.png
Garghoul hatchling (Lemon/Sky/basic tert)

Obtained: In my dreams~
Rarity: Common, but they are invisible
Breeding Cooldown: TBA
Diet: Meat, plants

Overview

Garghouls originate from the Greatwyrm Breach, spending most of their time perfectly camouflaged among the stones and only waking for brief periods. They are silent, watchful guardians who make up for their small size with great cunning.

Physical Attributes
Garghouls are a small breed with thick scales and dense bones, making them much heavier than they appear. Their narrow wings are too small to allow them to truly fly, but they can glide great distances in their native home of steep cliffs, and they are proficient climbers with their strong legs and large claws. They cannot swim and tend to avoid water as a general rule.

Social
Garghouls lead solitary lives for the most part, largely because of the nature of torpor. They tend to have reserved personalities, with the best of them being thoughtful and deliberate, and the worst being judgmental and standoffish. They have little patience for frivolity and hate to operate without a plan. Other dragons say that they're picky micro-managers who stress over unimportant details, while if a garghoul cared to respond it might say that it's trying to optimize it's time before the next torpor.
Torpor
This is a trance-like state that garghouls spend most of their extremely long lives in. Their vital functions slow down, and the spaces between their scales secrete an oily substance that hardens to the consistency and colour of concrete. Within, the garghoul sleeps and reinvigorates its mind and body. The first torpor after hatching usually occurs within the first decade of the dragon's life, and lasts only a week, and thereafter it tends to occur at least ever decade, and can last for many years at a time.

Lairs
Garghouls need a secure den site to return to when they feel the torpor coming on, and will excavate small burrows in the sides of sheer cliffs, blocking the entrance with loose material that can easily be pushed away once they awaken. Those living in mixed clans will tend to have a similarly sized area set aside within or near the clan's den.

Tactics
With their surprisingly robust bodies, garghouls are front line fighters and can inflict devastating wounds with their tail spikes and claws. A favorite tactic is to coax a small flying dragon in close and then leap into the air and grab on - the garghoul's greater mass prevents the enemy from flying away, and its impressively thick scales can turn aside all but the most powerful of magic and sharpest of fangs. Few garghouls have an aptitude for magic, but those that do tend to make their craft their life's work, and can become very powerful.

Alpha art
gargoyle_zpsak5crvet.png

Altered because too many people thought it was a "ridgeback clone" due to excessive spikiness, and I was unhappy with the wings.
Why not an Earth breed?

Garghoul%202%20small_zpsorzmxgqg.png
Male garghoul (Stone/Charcoal/basic tert)

Garghoul%20f_zps7guz8nkz.png
Female garghoul head detail (Silver/Platinum/basic tert)

Garghoul%20juv_zpsmut7ojkv.png
Garghoul hatchling (Lemon/Sky/basic tert)

Obtained: In my dreams~
Rarity: Common, but they are invisible
Breeding Cooldown: TBA
Diet: Meat, plants

Overview

Garghouls originate from the Greatwyrm Breach, spending most of their time perfectly camouflaged among the stones and only waking for brief periods. They are silent, watchful guardians who make up for their small size with great cunning.

Physical Attributes
Garghouls are a small breed with thick scales and dense bones, making them much heavier than they appear. Their narrow wings are too small to allow them to truly fly, but they can glide great distances in their native home of steep cliffs, and they are proficient climbers with their strong legs and large claws. They cannot swim and tend to avoid water as a general rule.

Social
Garghouls lead solitary lives for the most part, largely because of the nature of torpor. They tend to have reserved personalities, with the best of them being thoughtful and deliberate, and the worst being judgmental and standoffish. They have little patience for frivolity and hate to operate without a plan. Other dragons say that they're picky micro-managers who stress over unimportant details, while if a garghoul cared to respond it might say that it's trying to optimize it's time before the next torpor.
Torpor
This is a trance-like state that garghouls spend most of their extremely long lives in. Their vital functions slow down, and the spaces between their scales secrete an oily substance that hardens to the consistency and colour of concrete. Within, the garghoul sleeps and reinvigorates its mind and body. The first torpor after hatching usually occurs within the first decade of the dragon's life, and lasts only a week, and thereafter it tends to occur at least ever decade, and can last for many years at a time.

Lairs
Garghouls need a secure den site to return to when they feel the torpor coming on, and will excavate small burrows in the sides of sheer cliffs, blocking the entrance with loose material that can easily be pushed away once they awaken. Those living in mixed clans will tend to have a similarly sized area set aside within or near the clan's den.

Tactics
With their surprisingly robust bodies, garghouls are front line fighters and can inflict devastating wounds with their tail spikes and claws. A favorite tactic is to coax a small flying dragon in close and then leap into the air and grab on - the garghoul's greater mass prevents the enemy from flying away, and its impressively thick scales can turn aside all but the most powerful of magic and sharpest of fangs. Few garghouls have an aptitude for magic, but those that do tend to make their craft their life's work, and can become very powerful.

Alpha art
gargoyle_zpsak5crvet.png

Altered because too many people thought it was a "ridgeback clone" due to excessive spikiness, and I was unhappy with the wings.
RFX4miZ.png
hmhhmhmmhmhhmhmmhmmmmm
looks like a cousin of the ridgebacks, i like it, jimmy
hmhhmhmmhmhhmhmmhmmmmm
looks like a cousin of the ridgebacks, i like it, jimmy
FR Blog
Main/Humor blog
Cool cool! I'll add it. But I can't tonight, I'm not on my laptop.
Cool cool! I'll add it. But I can't tonight, I'm not on my laptop.
p9LLFVh.png Wishlist c55Bvd2.png a9TTUxz.gif
@Timiculous
I like the idea, but it looks so similar to a ridgeback...
Basically I think that we need an earth dragon, but we don't need a ridgeback clone *Shrug*
Perhapse a slightly lion-like face, like you see on some real gargoyles?
@Timiculous
I like the idea, but it looks so similar to a ridgeback...
Basically I think that we need an earth dragon, but we don't need a ridgeback clone *Shrug*
Perhapse a slightly lion-like face, like you see on some real gargoyles?
Hel || College Student || She/Her
dpQFynF.jpg
@Timiculous

Reminds me some of Guardians and Ridgebacks! :) Although just saying, I though Snappers came from Dragonhome....unless I'm wrong?
@Timiculous

Reminds me some of Guardians and Ridgebacks! :) Although just saying, I though Snappers came from Dragonhome....unless I'm wrong?
@ThePhantomRose I don't think it's so strong a similarity to be a "clone" exactly but there are things about it that could be altered on a second pass. I think I like the idea of something more serpentine and slender than robust and leonine though.

@DawnCloud They are, but there are a few breeds now that have doubled up on the elements (skydancers and spirals are wind, pearlcatchers and imperials are light)
@ThePhantomRose I don't think it's so strong a similarity to be a "clone" exactly but there are things about it that could be altered on a second pass. I think I like the idea of something more serpentine and slender than robust and leonine though.

@DawnCloud They are, but there are a few breeds now that have doubled up on the elements (skydancers and spirals are wind, pearlcatchers and imperials are light)
RFX4miZ.png
Need need need! >u< <3
Need need need! >u< <3
RU3Ub7C.png __________________________________
mini/yest - they/them - huge nerd - infp
- your friendly neighbourhood fruit bat -
average artist - what is communication
cIA3D75.png6dnHKBv.pngkE8PZoU.pngeswSnrS.pngurhsAAL.pngbYt72YT.png
Art Shop +
PWYW Roulette Art Shop!

Art Showcase
Updated with new art
Updated with new art
RFX4miZ.png
Quite nice. I did quite like the trident like tail of the first version although the new version does look a lot less Ridgebacky
Quite nice. I did quite like the trident like tail of the first version although the new version does look a lot less Ridgebacky
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
1 2