Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Must Name Before Exalting
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20
@ceziate [quote]Take half a second to thank them for providing your fodder by naming their dragons, it's not that hard.[/quote] I already thanked these people by giving them treasure. That's what they want. As long as I remain within the Terms and Conditions, I can do whatever I want with my dragons. I can name them STRABWERRY or WARIOR in all caps. I can chose to not name them, I can choose to name all of my males Dave and all of my females Rita. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it if I decided to go and manage the treasure you got from me. You wouldn't like it if I was "Wow, slow down buddy, I gave you that treasure, I get to decide if you're buying familiars or apparel with it"
@ceziate
Quote:
Take half a second to thank them for providing your fodder by naming their dragons, it's not that hard.

I already thanked these people by giving them treasure. That's what they want.

As long as I remain within the Terms and Conditions, I can do whatever I want with my dragons.

I can name them STRABWERRY or WARIOR in all caps. I can chose to not name them, I can choose to name all of my males Dave and all of my females Rita.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it if I decided to go and manage the treasure you got from me. You wouldn't like it if I was "Wow, slow down buddy, I gave you that treasure, I get to decide if you're buying familiars or apparel with it"

[quote name="Lightning" date=2015-08-06 13:30:04] Support. Actually, I support dragons being born named with one free name change; they are sentient beings and no human would let a baby go into the world unnamed. If someone wants a dragon unnamed for lore reasons, then they could name them noname or notnamed or suchlike with a rename scroll. Since this isn't a thing, I usually name my dragons before selling them. [/quote] Actually at one time they did leave babies unnamed until they got past certain milestones, simply because so many babies didn't survive. Also, if you don't want your baby to go out into the world unnamed, give it a name before you sell it. Simple. If you don't want to name your dragons before selling, then expect to have dragons exalted unnamed or just left in lairs unnamed. I agree with the people who say that once you sell that dragon, it is NOT your dragon anymore. Period. It doesn't matter if it shows up on your offspring list. If you care that much about your offspring list, you should either name your dragons before selling or just don't sell. I don't agree with names being given upon hatching, even with a free rename. That is a simple way of telling your hatchlings after they are first born from other dragons. I leave my dragons unnamed for a while until I decide I want to name them, then I usually go on a naming spree. As people have stated over and over again, there are many reasons someone exalts unnamed, one of those is dominance, but there are also RP reasons. I don't want my dragons exalted unnamed, so I name them before selling, and so far every single one has sold. I think all of them have kept the name I gave them, most have been exalted (not sure if all have been) Also, while dragons are sentient beings, that doesn't mean they place the same value on a name as a human does. For all we know (as this is left up to the players personal lore) they don't even use names but some other identifier, or consider names to be replaceable (ie they are named something as a baby, when they reach adolescence they are given a new name, when they reach adulthood they take on a new name, etc... for every milestone the dragon takes a new name) As for it not hurting to name the dragon at all, it might. Not physically (but then I doubt seeing unnamed dragons hurt physically either) In dom battles, that is an extra step that slows down the exalting process, which could hurt a flight's dom battle. Also, you don't know why someone bought that dragon, perhaps they wanted a dragon who is a 'wanderer', or they want an 'orphan' baby, and so they need unnamed parents, and your dragon had the colors they needed for that.
Lightning wrote on 2015-08-06:
Support. Actually, I support dragons being born named with one free name change; they are sentient beings and no human would let a baby go into the world unnamed. If someone wants a dragon unnamed for lore reasons, then they could name them noname or notnamed or suchlike with a rename scroll.

Since this isn't a thing, I usually name my dragons before selling them.

Actually at one time they did leave babies unnamed until they got past certain milestones, simply because so many babies didn't survive. Also, if you don't want your baby to go out into the world unnamed, give it a name before you sell it. Simple. If you don't want to name your dragons before selling, then expect to have dragons exalted unnamed or just left in lairs unnamed.

I agree with the people who say that once you sell that dragon, it is NOT your dragon anymore. Period. It doesn't matter if it shows up on your offspring list. If you care that much about your offspring list, you should either name your dragons before selling or just don't sell.

I don't agree with names being given upon hatching, even with a free rename. That is a simple way of telling your hatchlings after they are first born from other dragons. I leave my dragons unnamed for a while until I decide I want to name them, then I usually go on a naming spree.

As people have stated over and over again, there are many reasons someone exalts unnamed, one of those is dominance, but there are also RP reasons. I don't want my dragons exalted unnamed, so I name them before selling, and so far every single one has sold. I think all of them have kept the name I gave them, most have been exalted (not sure if all have been)

Also, while dragons are sentient beings, that doesn't mean they place the same value on a name as a human does. For all we know (as this is left up to the players personal lore) they don't even use names but some other identifier, or consider names to be replaceable (ie they are named something as a baby, when they reach adolescence they are given a new name, when they reach adulthood they take on a new name, etc... for every milestone the dragon takes a new name)

As for it not hurting to name the dragon at all, it might. Not physically (but then I doubt seeing unnamed dragons hurt physically either) In dom battles, that is an extra step that slows down the exalting process, which could hurt a flight's dom battle. Also, you don't know why someone bought that dragon, perhaps they wanted a dragon who is a 'wanderer', or they want an 'orphan' baby, and so they need unnamed parents, and your dragon had the colors they needed for that.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
I think it's interesting! You have name dragons before you train them in the coliseum so I don't think it would be too tough for them to do the same with naming before you exalt. It's convenient to buy an Unnamed hatchling because you don't have to buy a scroll of renaming if it has name that doesn't suit you, so I understand the struggle of leaving a hatchling unnamed to make it look more appealing to a potential buyer and I could see how it could rub you the wrong way trying to give someone that convenience just for them to not to use it and exalting the baby. But then again, they made the Scroll of Renaming to be used so if it bothers you name them and if they don't like it they can pick up a scroll.
I think it's interesting! You have name dragons before you train them in the coliseum so I don't think it would be too tough for them to do the same with naming before you exalt. It's convenient to buy an Unnamed hatchling because you don't have to buy a scroll of renaming if it has name that doesn't suit you, so I understand the struggle of leaving a hatchling unnamed to make it look more appealing to a potential buyer and I could see how it could rub you the wrong way trying to give someone that convenience just for them to not to use it and exalting the baby. But then again, they made the Scroll of Renaming to be used so if it bothers you name them and if they don't like it they can pick up a scroll.
S1RYPFw.png
I like the idea where the rng creates a name for every exalted dragon. Many may argue, "Once you sell a dragon, it's not yours." Well, once you exalt a dragon, it's not yours either, is it? If you bought the baby and don't own the parents, then you won't even be able to see the dragon anymore.
I like the idea where the rng creates a name for every exalted dragon. Many may argue, "Once you sell a dragon, it's not yours." Well, once you exalt a dragon, it's not yours either, is it? If you bought the baby and don't own the parents, then you won't even be able to see the dragon anymore.
[quote name="Stormbreeze" date=2015-08-06 16:34:17] I like the idea where the rng creates a name for every exalted dragon. Many may argue, "Once you sell a dragon, it's not yours." Well, once you exalt a dragon, it's not yours either, is it? If you bought the baby and don't own the parents, then you won't even be able to see the dragon anymore. [/quote] Actually to my understanding, once you exalt the dragon it IS still yours. It is attached to your account, and if you change flights, the deity you exalted to changes as well. So that argument is void. Plus, what about the people who bred a dragon unnamed then exalted to get a baby with unnamed parents? they still own the offspring of the exalted dragon. Also, you can still see the dragon if you have the dragon ID, and some people are asking for a list of dragons they exalted so they can 'visit' them. @Stormbreeze
Stormbreeze wrote on 2015-08-06:

Actually to my understanding, once you exalt the dragon it IS still yours. It is attached to your account, and if you change flights, the deity you exalted to changes as well. So that argument is void. Plus, what about the people who bred a dragon unnamed then exalted to get a baby with unnamed parents? they still own the offspring of the exalted dragon. Also, you can still see the dragon if you have the dragon ID, and some people are asking for a list of dragons they exalted so they can 'visit' them.

@Stormbreeze

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png

14318365.png
@Stormbreeze exalted dragons are still associated with the account that exalted them. If you move flights all dragons you exalt move with you and serve your new god so technically exalted dragons still belong to the exalter.

There are many players who specifically exalt their own dragons unnamed--they should be allowed to continue doing so--why should they be prevented from doing this because other players do not like the name unnamed (despite the fact these players have a simple way of prevening unnamed offspring by naming the hatchlings before they leave their lair). The only way to have a dragon that is Unnamed is by not naming it in the first place. Names like Nameless and Noname do not have the same connotation as Unnamed or the player prefers Unnamed over Nameless or Noname.

There are other players who have specifically bred parents, kept the offspring and exalted the parents Wnnamed because that's what they needed for the dragon they bred
@Stormbreeze exalted dragons are still associated with the account that exalted them. If you move flights all dragons you exalt move with you and serve your new god so technically exalted dragons still belong to the exalter.

There are many players who specifically exalt their own dragons unnamed--they should be allowed to continue doing so--why should they be prevented from doing this because other players do not like the name unnamed (despite the fact these players have a simple way of prevening unnamed offspring by naming the hatchlings before they leave their lair). The only way to have a dragon that is Unnamed is by not naming it in the first place. Names like Nameless and Noname do not have the same connotation as Unnamed or the player prefers Unnamed over Nameless or Noname.

There are other players who have specifically bred parents, kept the offspring and exalted the parents Wnnamed because that's what they needed for the dragon they bred
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980
#UnnamedIsValid .:. Nature Sales Thread .:. Strider Subspecies
@Jemadar @Dragonsage

What you say is true: it does follow your account. But even so, if you really want your dragon to be without a name, then perhaps you can just call it "Nameless."

If one really, really wants an unnamed dragon to be called "Unnamed," but still is considerate towards those people who hate seeing it on the offspring list, perhaps people should be allowed to name their dragons "Unnamed." The real nameless dragons could have their title listed in a grey font, or italicized, so as to avoid confusion.
@Jemadar @Dragonsage

What you say is true: it does follow your account. But even so, if you really want your dragon to be without a name, then perhaps you can just call it "Nameless."

If one really, really wants an unnamed dragon to be called "Unnamed," but still is considerate towards those people who hate seeing it on the offspring list, perhaps people should be allowed to name their dragons "Unnamed." The real nameless dragons could have their title listed in a grey font, or italicized, so as to avoid confusion.
@STormbreeze

I find the biggest problem with this debate is there is a simple way to keep YOUR hatchlings from being exalted unnamed, and that is to name them before selling. I believe there is a poll lurking somewhere that says the majority of players don't care if they buy a named hatchling or unnamed hatchling. I know I certainly don't. Half the time I don't even look at the name when I am buying a dragon, but rather breed/price/colors. I usually don't even look at the genes or sex of the dragon.

The problem with allowing people to name dragons unnamed is that it could be used to 'scam' people, they buy a dragon that is unnamed, then find out they need a scroll on top of whatever they paid for it to actually name it. Those who buy named dragons realize that if they don't like the name they need to buy a scroll.

There is a second problem too. If you could name dragons unnamed, that would open up the problem of people buying named dragons, naming them unnamed, then exalting them, simply because they KNOW that it bothers some people.

Forgot a thought: Even if you have a difference in name style between true unnamed and ones that were named unnamed, it could still cause confusion amongst people like me, who don't tend to look at a name (I tend to note if they HAVE a name or not, but don't pay attention to the name itself) or new players who don't know that there is a difference.
@STormbreeze

I find the biggest problem with this debate is there is a simple way to keep YOUR hatchlings from being exalted unnamed, and that is to name them before selling. I believe there is a poll lurking somewhere that says the majority of players don't care if they buy a named hatchling or unnamed hatchling. I know I certainly don't. Half the time I don't even look at the name when I am buying a dragon, but rather breed/price/colors. I usually don't even look at the genes or sex of the dragon.

The problem with allowing people to name dragons unnamed is that it could be used to 'scam' people, they buy a dragon that is unnamed, then find out they need a scroll on top of whatever they paid for it to actually name it. Those who buy named dragons realize that if they don't like the name they need to buy a scroll.

There is a second problem too. If you could name dragons unnamed, that would open up the problem of people buying named dragons, naming them unnamed, then exalting them, simply because they KNOW that it bothers some people.

Forgot a thought: Even if you have a difference in name style between true unnamed and ones that were named unnamed, it could still cause confusion amongst people like me, who don't tend to look at a name (I tend to note if they HAVE a name or not, but don't pay attention to the name itself) or new players who don't know that there is a difference.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png

14318365.png
Everyone has different play styles.

Some see exalting as a high honor
Some see it as a way to make money
and others see it as murdering a dragon.

I fall into one of those categories. If I buy a dragon it is going to need to work with my play style. If not, why did I buy it? To play someone elses way?

To avoid such things you can A) Name your hatchlings B) Only sell on the sales pages and then you are assure by the user to have a name. (I ask them for the name before I send it, or offer a scroll for a reduced cost)

The majority of dragons on this site are exalted and it is a huge part of each players experience. If you do not want your dragons to be included in other play styles. Do not sell them and exalt them yourself when you need lair.

Everyone has different play styles.

Some see exalting as a high honor
Some see it as a way to make money
and others see it as murdering a dragon.

I fall into one of those categories. If I buy a dragon it is going to need to work with my play style. If not, why did I buy it? To play someone elses way?

To avoid such things you can A) Name your hatchlings B) Only sell on the sales pages and then you are assure by the user to have a name. (I ask them for the name before I send it, or offer a scroll for a reduced cost)

The majority of dragons on this site are exalted and it is a huge part of each players experience. If you do not want your dragons to be included in other play styles. Do not sell them and exalt them yourself when you need lair.

Stuff will one day go here.
No support.

When a dragon leaves your account, it's no longer yours. You can't say "hate seeing my hatchlings exalted by other players en masse without even being named" because they aren't your hatchlings that are being exalted. They're someone else's, now, and if you want them named before they get exalted, you can
a) name them before selling, or
b) list them above a price that would be reasonable for fodder.

Simple.
No support.

When a dragon leaves your account, it's no longer yours. You can't say "hate seeing my hatchlings exalted by other players en masse without even being named" because they aren't your hatchlings that are being exalted. They're someone else's, now, and if you want them named before they get exalted, you can
a) name them before selling, or
b) list them above a price that would be reasonable for fodder.

Simple.
tumblr_o0zdk7U6M21u3wsjco6_250.png a1rYPJ5.png

gASzi6V.pngtP5PUOX.png

they/them; +17fr
doodle art
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 20