Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Must Name Before Exalting
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
[quote name="Valemora" date=2017-11-04 19:46:02] [quote name="BurritoRay" date=2017-11-04 18:00:09] i think instead of preventing you it should actually be just like a warning with crim "Are you sure you want to exalt this dragon unnamed?" [/quote] Better make it an "Are you sure you want to SELL this dragon unnamed?" warning when you place an unnamed dragon on AH. Just to enforce the idea that it's the seller's responsibility. [/quote] Why not both? You always get the popup window anyway to confirm. It wouldn't make any difference to change the text a little for both of them. I would also like a box in that window to be able to name the dragon (if unnamed) in both instances. It would be super convenient.
Valemora wrote on 2017-11-04:
BurritoRay wrote on 2017-11-04:
i think instead of preventing you it should actually be just like a warning with crim

"Are you sure you want to exalt this dragon unnamed?"
Better make it an "Are you sure you want to SELL this dragon unnamed?" warning when you place an unnamed dragon on AH.
Just to enforce the idea that it's the seller's responsibility.
Why not both? You always get the popup window anyway to confirm. It wouldn't make any difference to change the text a little for both of them.

I would also like a box in that window to be able to name the dragon (if unnamed) in both instances. It would be super convenient.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="Almedha" date=2017-11-05 10:55:12] [quote name="Valemora" date=2017-11-04 19:46:02] [quote name="BurritoRay" date=2017-11-04 18:00:09] i think instead of preventing you it should actually be just like a warning with crim "Are you sure you want to exalt this dragon unnamed?" [/quote] Better make it an "Are you sure you want to SELL this dragon unnamed?" warning when you place an unnamed dragon on AH. Just to enforce the idea that it's the seller's responsibility. [/quote] Why not both? You always get the popup window anyway to confirm. It wouldn't make any difference to change the text a little for both of them. I would also like a box in that window to be able to name the dragon (if unnamed) in both instances. It would be super convenient. [/quote] Because with the first one, 'are you sure to exalt this dragon unnamed?', puts the responsibility on the exalter, and definitely give breeders more leverage to accuse or harass them if they don't name before exalt. Naming a dragon or not doesn't affect the exalters in most cases, but it's the breeders who are getting irking about it as they are the ones seeing the offspring list. The 2nd one is better since it's telling those who actually cares about the offspring list to 'take responsibility into your own hands', and also subtly hinting that 'this is the last chance for you to have any say in this dragon's well-being'. I do like a naming field included in that message though, that'd save a lot of time and trouble.
Almedha wrote on 2017-11-05:
Valemora wrote on 2017-11-04:
BurritoRay wrote on 2017-11-04:
i think instead of preventing you it should actually be just like a warning with crim

"Are you sure you want to exalt this dragon unnamed?"
Better make it an "Are you sure you want to SELL this dragon unnamed?" warning when you place an unnamed dragon on AH.
Just to enforce the idea that it's the seller's responsibility.
Why not both? You always get the popup window anyway to confirm. It wouldn't make any difference to change the text a little for both of them.

I would also like a box in that window to be able to name the dragon (if unnamed) in both instances. It would be super convenient.
Because with the first one, 'are you sure to exalt this dragon unnamed?', puts the responsibility on the exalter, and definitely give breeders more leverage to accuse or harass them if they don't name before exalt. Naming a dragon or not doesn't affect the exalters in most cases, but it's the breeders who are getting irking about it as they are the ones seeing the offspring list.

The 2nd one is better since it's telling those who actually cares about the offspring list to 'take responsibility into your own hands', and also subtly hinting that 'this is the last chance for you to have any say in this dragon's well-being'. I do like a naming field included in that message though, that'd save a lot of time and trouble.
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif
If this becomes a forced thing then during speed exalting for dom battles people are just going to name them "aaaaaaaa" "sssssss" "dddddd" "ffffffff" or other random keyboard combos. Would people really prefer those on their offspring lists more than "unnamed"?

In my opinion this should all come down to the breeder before they sell. If they don't want unnamed offspring they should name them before selling.

If it becomes forced exalters are more likely to "spite" name every dragon something stupid.
If this becomes a forced thing then during speed exalting for dom battles people are just going to name them "aaaaaaaa" "sssssss" "dddddd" "ffffffff" or other random keyboard combos. Would people really prefer those on their offspring lists more than "unnamed"?

In my opinion this should all come down to the breeder before they sell. If they don't want unnamed offspring they should name them before selling.

If it becomes forced exalters are more likely to "spite" name every dragon something stupid.
Flight Rising: Where people spend thousands of gems to make dragons look pretty and then cover it all up with clothes and skins.
[quote name="hat17" date=2017-11-05 13:52:49] [quote name="Almedha" date=2017-11-05 10:55:12] Why not both? You always get the popup window anyway to confirm. It wouldn't make any difference to change the text a little for both of them. I would also like a box in that window to be able to name the dragon (if unnamed) in both instances. It would be super convenient. [/quote] Because with the first one, 'are you sure to exalt this dragon unnamed?', puts the responsibility on the exalter, and definitely give breeders more leverage to accuse or harass them if they don't name before exalt. Naming a dragon or not doesn't affect the exalters in most cases, but it's the breeders who are getting irking about it as they are the ones seeing the offspring list. The 2nd one is better since it's telling those who actually cares about the offspring list to 'take responsibility into your own hands', and also subtly hinting that 'this is the last chance for you to have any say in this dragon's well-being'. I do like a naming field included in that message though, that'd save a lot of time and trouble. [/quote] That's because it is the responsibility of the owner (whether they are a breeder or an exalter--and there are plenty who are both) to name the dragon [i]should they choose to[/i]. And by that, I mean only the owner can choose to name or not name a dragon before exalting or selling. If I only had a gem for every time I've seen a thread where people said they didn't understand how exalting worked as a new kid and exalted their progens' first nest unnamed and now regret it... It is unclear to some (especially in the beginning) that you can't change their names after they're exalted. The fact that you are always allowed to exalt a dragon you own without a name is unchanged; it's still allowed. It just puts the information that you can only name a dragon when it is in your possession in every place the information applies. Harassment is already against the rules. Changing the popup text might lead to more harassment, but if it does, report, block, and move on. The new people might not know about things like this, and that's what the popup box is for: to give information.
hat17 wrote on 2017-11-05:

Because with the first one, 'are you sure to exalt this dragon unnamed?', puts the responsibility on the exalter, and definitely give breeders more leverage to accuse or harass them if they don't name before exalt. Naming a dragon or not doesn't affect the exalters in most cases, but it's the breeders who are getting irking about it as they are the ones seeing the offspring list.

The 2nd one is better since it's telling those who actually cares about the offspring list to 'take responsibility into your own hands', and also subtly hinting that 'this is the last chance for you to have any say in this dragon's well-being'. I do like a naming field included in that message though, that'd save a lot of time and trouble.
That's because it is the responsibility of the owner (whether they are a breeder or an exalter--and there are plenty who are both) to name the dragon should they choose to. And by that, I mean only the owner can choose to name or not name a dragon before exalting or selling. If I only had a gem for every time I've seen a thread where people said they didn't understand how exalting worked as a new kid and exalted their progens' first nest unnamed and now regret it... It is unclear to some (especially in the beginning) that you can't change their names after they're exalted. The fact that you are always allowed to exalt a dragon you own without a name is unchanged; it's still allowed. It just puts the information that you can only name a dragon when it is in your possession in every place the information applies.

Harassment is already against the rules. Changing the popup text might lead to more harassment, but if it does, report, block, and move on. The new people might not know about things like this, and that's what the popup box is for: to give information.
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
In that case (sorry I'm not quoting since it'll be too long), I'd go with an article in Help or part of the tutorial section to let players know the importance (or non-importance) of naming their dragons when they are in their possession instead. Because by putting a warning up telling users that they are about to do something that results in the dragon leaving their hand and control 'unnamed' gives the vibe that unnamed is a taboo that they should avoid. And while I totally agree with you that harassment should never be catered for and we should just block them and move on, it doesn't stop this debate and a lot of the users, new or old, doesn't really know how block works either. It all comes down to not enough information around many of the site functions (which I can see that stuff is trying to mend with updating lots of information entries).

Either way a reminder of some sort somewhere is not a bad idea. It's a much MUCH better idea than making naming compulsory. I just feel in some cases it might fuel the harassment even further. And by what I read on tumblr and on site that many people do not know how to deal with harassment either - they tend to gave in to the harassment and feel awful for no wrong of them, or give up on the community.
In that case (sorry I'm not quoting since it'll be too long), I'd go with an article in Help or part of the tutorial section to let players know the importance (or non-importance) of naming their dragons when they are in their possession instead. Because by putting a warning up telling users that they are about to do something that results in the dragon leaving their hand and control 'unnamed' gives the vibe that unnamed is a taboo that they should avoid. And while I totally agree with you that harassment should never be catered for and we should just block them and move on, it doesn't stop this debate and a lot of the users, new or old, doesn't really know how block works either. It all comes down to not enough information around many of the site functions (which I can see that stuff is trying to mend with updating lots of information entries).

Either way a reminder of some sort somewhere is not a bad idea. It's a much MUCH better idea than making naming compulsory. I just feel in some cases it might fuel the harassment even further. And by what I read on tumblr and on site that many people do not know how to deal with harassment either - they tend to gave in to the harassment and feel awful for no wrong of them, or give up on the community.
[quote name="hat17" date=2017-11-05 15:41:49] In that case (sorry I'm not quoting since it'll be too long), I'd go with an article in Help or part of the tutorial section to let players know the importance (or non-importance) of naming their dragons when they are in their possession instead. Because by putting a warning up telling users that they are about to do something that results in the dragon leaving their hand and control 'unnamed' gives the vibe that unnamed is a taboo that they should avoid. And while I totally agree with you that harassment should never be catered for and we should just block them and move on, it doesn't stop this debate and a lot of the users, new or old, doesn't really know how block works either. It all comes down to not enough information around many of the site functions (which I can see that stuff is trying to mend with updating lots of information entries). Either way a reminder of some sort somewhere is not a bad idea. It's a much MUCH better idea than making naming compulsory. I just feel in some cases it might fuel the harassment even further. And by what I read on tumblr and on site that many people do not know how to deal with harassment either - they tend to gave in to the harassment and feel awful for no wrong of them, or give up on the community. [/quote] I would support this over a popup or a box. I am worried that if the site starts adding in boxes to name a dragon when exalting it gives the wrong impression (that 'unnamed' is a taboo word and shouldn't be used). I would also support a popup (or on the actual sale popup) stating something along the lines of 'By selling this dragon you agree to relinquish all rights to it' to let users know that once they sell a dragon they have NO say over it at all. As for harassment being against the rules, the problem comes when harassment isn't on site, and/or it takes a while for reports to be looked at. Look at the ping harassment that happened a couple of months ago. People who voiced their opinion about a suggestion were added to pinglists without their knowledge and then those people were constantly pinged every time a user, most likely completely innocent user, pinged that list. that user had no knowledge there were people on it who didn't want to be, they were just using a tool in order to get their sales seen. Blocking in that case was completely pointless due to it not being the person who put the names on the list doing the actual pinging. I don't think such a thing can happen again, but I am sure that someone who really wanted to could figure out a way to 'get around' the rules and still harass people. unfortunately I don't really think there is any way to truly satisfy both sides. Nicknames are great, but only if the people want to use them, hiding offspring lists could be good, but it would need to be customizable so that users could choose who to hide. Even having multiple reminders that once the dragon is out of your lair, it is not yours period probably won't really help.

I would support this over a popup or a box.

I am worried that if the site starts adding in boxes to name a dragon when exalting it gives the wrong impression (that 'unnamed' is a taboo word and shouldn't be used).

I would also support a popup (or on the actual sale popup) stating something along the lines of 'By selling this dragon you agree to relinquish all rights to it' to let users know that once they sell a dragon they have NO say over it at all.

As for harassment being against the rules, the problem comes when harassment isn't on site, and/or it takes a while for reports to be looked at. Look at the ping harassment that happened a couple of months ago. People who voiced their opinion about a suggestion were added to pinglists without their knowledge and then those people were constantly pinged every time a user, most likely completely innocent user, pinged that list. that user had no knowledge there were people on it who didn't want to be, they were just using a tool in order to get their sales seen. Blocking in that case was completely pointless due to it not being the person who put the names on the list doing the actual pinging. I don't think such a thing can happen again, but I am sure that someone who really wanted to could figure out a way to 'get around' the rules and still harass people.

unfortunately I don't really think there is any way to truly satisfy both sides. Nicknames are great, but only if the people want to use them, hiding offspring lists could be good, but it would need to be customizable so that users could choose who to hide. Even having multiple reminders that once the dragon is out of your lair, it is not yours period probably won't really help.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote]Because by putting a warning up telling users that they are about to do something that results in the dragon leaving their hand and control 'unnamed' gives the vibe that unnamed is a taboo that they should avoid. [/quote] I was more thinking of the box saying, "Are you sure you want to exalt/sell this dragon, Unnamed?" with the continuation of the bit about not being able to change the name when it is no longer in your possession. (Only if the free name change were still available would it offer the box to name it.) Even if the dragon's name isn't Unnamed, it would say that, like it does now. The only thing is the addition of the information that once the dragon leaves your lair, you cannot name it. There should most certainly be an article in the encyclopedia or something about it also, though. But I think that on its own is mostly not helpful. Some people might not ever visit these help articles just like plenty of people might never see off-site harassment.
Quote:
Because by putting a warning up telling users that they are about to do something that results in the dragon leaving their hand and control 'unnamed' gives the vibe that unnamed is a taboo that they should avoid.
I was more thinking of the box saying, "Are you sure you want to exalt/sell this dragon, Unnamed?" with the continuation of the bit about not being able to change the name when it is no longer in your possession. (Only if the free name change were still available would it offer the box to name it.) Even if the dragon's name isn't Unnamed, it would say that, like it does now. The only thing is the addition of the information that once the dragon leaves your lair, you cannot name it.

There should most certainly be an article in the encyclopedia or something about it also, though. But I think that on its own is mostly not helpful. Some people might not ever visit these help articles just like plenty of people might never see off-site harassment.
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="Almedha" date=2017-11-05 16:26:14] [quote]Because by putting a warning up telling users that they are about to do something that results in the dragon leaving their hand and control 'unnamed' gives the vibe that unnamed is a taboo that they should avoid. [/quote] I was more thinking of the box saying, "Are you sure you want to exalt/sell this dragon, Unnamed?" with the continuation of the bit about not being able to change the name when it is no longer in your possession. (Only if the free name change were still available would it offer the box to name it.) Even if the dragon's name isn't Unnamed, it would say that, like it does now. The only thing is the addition of the information that once the dragon leaves your lair, you cannot name it. [/quote] That I can support. I guess it's down to the wording of the phrase now and I hope if they do they'll word it right for once.
Quote:
Because by putting a warning up telling users that they are about to do something that results in the dragon leaving their hand and control 'unnamed' gives the vibe that unnamed is a taboo that they should avoid.
I was more thinking of the box saying, "Are you sure you want to exalt/sell this dragon, Unnamed?" with the continuation of the bit about not being able to change the name when it is no longer in your possession. (Only if the free name change were still available would it offer the box to name it.) Even if the dragon's name isn't Unnamed, it would say that, like it does now. The only thing is the addition of the information that once the dragon leaves your lair, you cannot name it.
That I can support. I guess it's down to the wording of the phrase now and I hope if they do they'll word it right for once.
[quote name="Almedha" date=2017-11-05 15:25:51] [quote name="hat17" date=2017-11-05 13:52:49] Because with the first one, 'are you sure to exalt this dragon unnamed?', puts the responsibility on the exalter, and definitely give breeders more leverage to accuse or harass them if they don't name before exalt. Naming a dragon or not doesn't affect the exalters in most cases, but it's the breeders who are getting irking about it as they are the ones seeing the offspring list. The 2nd one is better since it's telling those who actually cares about the offspring list to 'take responsibility into your own hands', and also subtly hinting that 'this is the last chance for you to have any say in this dragon's well-being'. I do like a naming field included in that message though, that'd save a lot of time and trouble. [/quote] If I only had a gem for every time I've seen a thread where people said they didn't understand how exalting worked as a new kid and exalted their progens' first nest unnamed and now regret it... It is unclear to some (especially in the beginning) that you can't change their names after they're exalted. [/quote] Hat17 nailed it, basically :D This was the idea I wanted to express while proposing to shift the attention to the seller. As for the unnamed exalts made by newbies, I believe we should have a one-time detailed tutorial at first exalting which explains what will happen. Not only it should warn about exalting unnamed, but also about losing the info in bio (lore, art, etc) and being unable to restore the dragon unless several strict reqirements are met, preferably displaying how the dragon will look like after exaltation; some dom info would be useful there, too. I totally agree that the current info is insufficient snd may lead to upsetting mistakes.

If I only had a gem for every time I've seen a thread where people said they didn't understand how exalting worked as a new kid and exalted their progens' first nest unnamed and now regret it... It is unclear to some (especially in the beginning) that you can't change their names after they're exalted.
Hat17 nailed it, basically :D This was the idea I wanted to express while proposing to shift the attention to the seller.
As for the unnamed exalts made by newbies, I believe we should have a one-time detailed tutorial at first exalting which explains what will happen. Not only it should warn about exalting unnamed, but also about losing the info in bio (lore, art, etc) and being unable to restore the dragon unless several strict reqirements are met, preferably displaying how the dragon will look like after exaltation; some dom info would be useful there, too. I totally agree that the current info is insufficient snd may lead to upsetting mistakes.
[quote]Not only it should warn about exalting unnamed, but also about losing the info in bio (lore, art, etc) and being unable to restore the dragon unless several strict reqirements are met, preferably displaying how the dragon will look like after exaltation; some dom info would be useful there, too. I totally agree that the current info is insufficient and may lead to upsetting mistakes.[/quote] I definitely agree about that. A short tutorial could be helpful to a ton of newbies. It brings up an interesting point that I wanted to elaborate on earlier, but couldn't quite grasp my thought... I believe it is important for new exalters (or maybe even old exalters) to understand that, among a certain group of users in the community), dragons with unnamed offspring are undesirable, like hat17 was talking about "the vibe that unnamed is a taboo that they should avoid" is probably something that some people might want to avoid if they knew about it. Of course some people (or maybe most people, I don't know) aren't going to care. But some people are going to care. I've seen way too many people decide they didn't want to buy a dragon because it had unnamed offspring, and so I've decided that I will never exalt someone else's dragon's hatchling unnamed (even though it is my dragon) because I don't want to devalue their dragon. It's possible that some people would have similar reactions if they had similar information when they were first starting out. I just think that it is important to give all the people all the information, regardless of how some people might interpret it. Facts are facts. And the fact is that once someone exalts a dragon without naming it (or with whatever name it has), it cannot be changed. This is just as true for someone who sells a dragon. It is just as important to tell exalters that bit of information as it is to tell sellers.
Quote:
Not only it should warn about exalting unnamed, but also about losing the info in bio (lore, art, etc) and being unable to restore the dragon unless several strict reqirements are met, preferably displaying how the dragon will look like after exaltation; some dom info would be useful there, too. I totally agree that the current info is insufficient and may lead to upsetting mistakes.
I definitely agree about that. A short tutorial could be helpful to a ton of newbies.

It brings up an interesting point that I wanted to elaborate on earlier, but couldn't quite grasp my thought... I believe it is important for new exalters (or maybe even old exalters) to understand that, among a certain group of users in the community), dragons with unnamed offspring are undesirable, like hat17 was talking about "the vibe that unnamed is a taboo that they should avoid" is probably something that some people might want to avoid if they knew about it. Of course some people (or maybe most people, I don't know) aren't going to care. But some people are going to care. I've seen way too many people decide they didn't want to buy a dragon because it had unnamed offspring, and so I've decided that I will never exalt someone else's dragon's hatchling unnamed (even though it is my dragon) because I don't want to devalue their dragon. It's possible that some people would have similar reactions if they had similar information when they were first starting out.

I just think that it is important to give all the people all the information, regardless of how some people might interpret it. Facts are facts. And the fact is that once someone exalts a dragon without naming it (or with whatever name it has), it cannot be changed. This is just as true for someone who sells a dragon. It is just as important to tell exalters that bit of information as it is to tell sellers.
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20