Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | New breeds through breeding only
1 2 3 4
Support -I see no reason why this should not be a thing!
Support -I see no reason why this should not be a thing!
66MHIIb.png
No support. It'd be a lot of extra coding and a lot of new breeds; I'd rather have one new breed than loads of cross-breeds. Interesting concept though.
No support. It'd be a lot of extra coding and a lot of new breeds; I'd rather have one new breed than loads of cross-breeds. Interesting concept though.
bearjew-inglorious.gif
@Midnightpinto
@Arienai

Maybe it can be a new breed that just randomly shows up. like when you go to hatch a nest, a message saying something like this will appear,

"Your nest has hatched successfully but there seems to be an extra unhatched egg? It looks different from the others. You put it in your hoard."

And the baby inside will be first gen and a new breed that is totally unrelated to the parents! That way you don't take up nest and lair space and you get a 1st gen baby!
@Midnightpinto
@Arienai

Maybe it can be a new breed that just randomly shows up. like when you go to hatch a nest, a message saying something like this will appear,

"Your nest has hatched successfully but there seems to be an extra unhatched egg? It looks different from the others. You put it in your hoard."

And the baby inside will be first gen and a new breed that is totally unrelated to the parents! That way you don't take up nest and lair space and you get a 1st gen baby!
Support - I can see it as an event not unlike the Night of the Nocturne, but instead of spending all our time Scavenging or Digging, we'd be breeding like dragons were rabbits. ;)

Honestly, it's just a novel way to present a gene release.
Support - I can see it as an event not unlike the Night of the Nocturne, but instead of spending all our time Scavenging or Digging, we'd be breeding like dragons were rabbits. ;)

Honestly, it's just a novel way to present a gene release.
tumblr_inline_nj6epdCZlw1r3h1o8.png tumblr_inline_njhit9xsrc1r3h1o8.png tumblr_inline_njhw3ckexo1r3h1o8.png tumblr_inline_njhww49faV1r3h1o8.png lZEZOSe.png
tumblr_inline_njhi10xfDw1r3h1o8.png tumblr_inline_nj6fiuIGx01r3h1o8.png tumblr_inline_njhyh4jVHZ1r3h1o8.png tumblr_inline_njhyq13RFE1r3h1o8.png
I'd rather not see crossbreeds. I'd have to re-do so many of my dragons if this were a thing because I already pretend that most of them have certain features from each parent, so adding actual shows of it would mean re-obtaining them. Besides which, cross-breeds are never straight-forward or identical, so it'd be upsetting to people who, for example, get a spiral-pearl mix and are upset that, say, the mix-breed has the horn, but not the feet-fur (assuming that Undel chose to draw that particular hybrid like that.) I feel like it would just get too frustrating for everyone.
I'd rather not see crossbreeds. I'd have to re-do so many of my dragons if this were a thing because I already pretend that most of them have certain features from each parent, so adding actual shows of it would mean re-obtaining them. Besides which, cross-breeds are never straight-forward or identical, so it'd be upsetting to people who, for example, get a spiral-pearl mix and are upset that, say, the mix-breed has the horn, but not the feet-fur (assuming that Undel chose to draw that particular hybrid like that.) I feel like it would just get too frustrating for everyone.
eSzGOae.pngCollector of Sickle Claws
Support only if it's an optional thing or something like Warrior922 suggested.

By optional I mean that you have to buy, say, two (or one) scrolls that activates the genes in a pair of dragons. The chances of getting a crossbred dragon from two dragons who have the gene activated is small (say a 5% chance? Maybe higher or lower), but higher than if one dragon in the pair has the gene activated.

The gene cannot be passed down to their offspring so the worry of having a pair randomly pop out a new breed can be avoided. That won't stop people from putting activated dragons on the market so having an option to exclude these dragons (as well as a symbol) can help users avoid buying up a dragon with the activated gene.

Also, crossbreeds can only be gotten through the 'primary' breed like the ones we have now. That means two different 'secondary' crossbreed dragons cannot create a 'tertiary' crossbreed dragon. This also means that the scrolls should not work on crossbreed dragons.

However, it sounds easier to have random events than it would to add in a new equation into the breeding process.
Support only if it's an optional thing or something like Warrior922 suggested.

By optional I mean that you have to buy, say, two (or one) scrolls that activates the genes in a pair of dragons. The chances of getting a crossbred dragon from two dragons who have the gene activated is small (say a 5% chance? Maybe higher or lower), but higher than if one dragon in the pair has the gene activated.

The gene cannot be passed down to their offspring so the worry of having a pair randomly pop out a new breed can be avoided. That won't stop people from putting activated dragons on the market so having an option to exclude these dragons (as well as a symbol) can help users avoid buying up a dragon with the activated gene.

Also, crossbreeds can only be gotten through the 'primary' breed like the ones we have now. That means two different 'secondary' crossbreed dragons cannot create a 'tertiary' crossbreed dragon. This also means that the scrolls should not work on crossbreed dragons.

However, it sounds easier to have random events than it would to add in a new equation into the breeding process.
Space Daddy is Love, Space Daddy is Life.
Fan of Cosmic Things. And Pastels.
Current Cosmic Obsession: Descender by Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nyugen
Triple Tyranny Club Triple X
What about a nest parasite? Side step the hybrid issue entirely, and have a dragon breed that will occasionally lay their eggs in other dragon's nests. To avoid the whole issue of ruining people's breeding plans, it can either be an extra egg that appears in the nest without replacing one of the existing eggs, or it can replace one of the existing eggs but people have the option to opt in/out of the entire thing.

It'd be fun, but.... I feel bad for the gen 1 collectors ha ha. I do think all breeds should have a breed change scroll.

Anywho, maybe this entire thing can be a bit like Night of the Nocturne, only instead of first gen eggs with random colors, you get eggs that semi-match the nest they were laid in? To help reduce detection from the hosts and all that.

Edit: Or basically what @Warrior922 said! That would be a good way to run it, and the lore explanation would be that this breed of dragon are really bad parents ha ha.
What about a nest parasite? Side step the hybrid issue entirely, and have a dragon breed that will occasionally lay their eggs in other dragon's nests. To avoid the whole issue of ruining people's breeding plans, it can either be an extra egg that appears in the nest without replacing one of the existing eggs, or it can replace one of the existing eggs but people have the option to opt in/out of the entire thing.

It'd be fun, but.... I feel bad for the gen 1 collectors ha ha. I do think all breeds should have a breed change scroll.

Anywho, maybe this entire thing can be a bit like Night of the Nocturne, only instead of first gen eggs with random colors, you get eggs that semi-match the nest they were laid in? To help reduce detection from the hosts and all that.

Edit: Or basically what @Warrior922 said! That would be a good way to run it, and the lore explanation would be that this breed of dragon are really bad parents ha ha.
“blaireau’s
[quote name="Warrior922" date="2015-03-20 10:03:26"][font=Century Gothic]@Midnightpinto @Arienai Maybe it can be a new breed that just randomly shows up. like when you go to hatch a nest, a message saying something like this will appear, "Your nest has hatched successfully but there seems to be an extra unhatched egg? It looks different from the others. You put it in your hoard." And the baby inside will be first gen and a new breed that is totally unrelated to the parents! That way you don't take up nest and lair space and you get a 1st gen baby![/quote] [font=Century Gothic]I'd support this. Sounds like a really neat idea. :D
Warrior922 wrote on 2015-03-20 10:03:26:
@Midnightpinto
@Arienai

I'd support this. Sounds like a really neat idea. :D
image.pngtumblr_ospvc67HxP1v8lm95o1_r2_250.gifimage.png
I support this. I get that, in general, that time and effort will have to be put into artwork, coding, etc. for dragons. But this is a website dedicated to constantly improving. We'll never have anything new if you base everything off "It's too much work."

I think it would be cool if this dragon was considered a "Defect" dragon and was super rare. Every defect dragon would look the same, so it wouldn't be multiple crossbreeds, but it has an extremely low rate of dropping. It would go into your hoard as a Gen1 Egg, so breeders wouldn't be annoyed at it sitting in their lair. This dragon could be considered a parasite, and could be colored based on the flight nest they are hatching in.

They wouldn't be a part of the egg number presented after you breed, and no one would be able to know about them until they hatch the nest. Say, if you had five eggs from a breeding pair, you wouldn't be alerted of the parasite egg until you hatch the nest. BUT, there could be art of a small egg depicted behind the eggs in the next, like hidden somewhere.
I support this. I get that, in general, that time and effort will have to be put into artwork, coding, etc. for dragons. But this is a website dedicated to constantly improving. We'll never have anything new if you base everything off "It's too much work."

I think it would be cool if this dragon was considered a "Defect" dragon and was super rare. Every defect dragon would look the same, so it wouldn't be multiple crossbreeds, but it has an extremely low rate of dropping. It would go into your hoard as a Gen1 Egg, so breeders wouldn't be annoyed at it sitting in their lair. This dragon could be considered a parasite, and could be colored based on the flight nest they are hatching in.

They wouldn't be a part of the egg number presented after you breed, and no one would be able to know about them until they hatch the nest. Say, if you had five eggs from a breeding pair, you wouldn't be alerted of the parasite egg until you hatch the nest. BUT, there could be art of a small egg depicted behind the eggs in the next, like hidden somewhere.
@ChaoticOmen

the thing with 'too much work' is that crossbreeds, ie breeds that show characteristics of both parent breeds or that are different depending on the parents, DO take too much work and will actually prevent new things from coming as fast as for each new breed done, the artists would essentially have to make an exponential number of additional new breeds alongside it as hybrids. This is why most people don't support hybrids, even though it would be interesting, because getting a new breed out is already slow work due to apparel, making it so the artists not only have to do apparel for that particular breed, but then for crossbreeds between it and existing dragons would mean we get fewer and fewer new breeds as time goes on, or sacrifices must be made.

Crossbreeds can't wear apparel. This is so the artists only have to draw line art for the dragons which would speed up the process considerably, though as time goes on and we get new breeds, the sheer number of crossbreeds for each new breed coming out will slow down work.

Certain dragons simply don't have crossbreeds. This means that those dragons probably wouldn't be a 'valuable' because they don't have a chance to give a probably highly sought after egg.

There is 'too much work' and then there is 'too much work for something that, while interesting, doesn't really add anything new to the game to offset the time/labor costs' which is what most people, or at least I do, mean when they say too much work. Hybrids, while interesting, would not truly add anything new: Pearlcatchers with Nocturne wings, Faes with Imperial horns etc...

Your compromise would be better, though I do see a couple of flaws:

1. Breed change scrolls, would we get these? If you think about it, as it stands right now, imperials are a 'breeding only' breed, and I personally would like to keep it so they are the only ones. Not so they are more special, but I really don't like the thought of not being able to change my favorite dragons to and from a breed should I want (I have an imp that I would love to potentially change, but since I love him as an imp, I won't because I know I would never be able to change him back if I decide I don't want him as whatever other breed I decide)

2. How would the egg be handled? Would it be a gen 1 egg with no parents? Would it be randomly generated colors. You said colors based upont the flight they are hatching from but what does that mean? would I only be able to hatch blue hybrid/parasite dragons? Would someone from arcane only be able to hatch pink ones? Would the admins have to go through and determine what 'colors' fit each flight? I could see this becoming a sore spot, simply because it would limit the colors those dragons could come in and potentially make getting XXX dragons much easier because the color palette they are able to 'roll' would be much smaller.

Would they be based off the parents? which could cause problems since hatchling characteristics are determined at hatching, which means that that egg would have to track parent info. This is one reason why you can't change a dragon who is on a nest: so that the info can't change before the eggs are hatched.

If you look in my signature there are two links you might be interested in. for hybrid dragons, there is a Breed Characteristic Apparel suggestion that suggests having apparel that can mimic 'iconic' dragon characteristics. There is also a 'mutation/mutagen' suggestion that would allow a player to introduce the change to get a 'mutated' dragon, usually not artwork intensive, if they decide to introduce a mutagen to the nest.
@ChaoticOmen

the thing with 'too much work' is that crossbreeds, ie breeds that show characteristics of both parent breeds or that are different depending on the parents, DO take too much work and will actually prevent new things from coming as fast as for each new breed done, the artists would essentially have to make an exponential number of additional new breeds alongside it as hybrids. This is why most people don't support hybrids, even though it would be interesting, because getting a new breed out is already slow work due to apparel, making it so the artists not only have to do apparel for that particular breed, but then for crossbreeds between it and existing dragons would mean we get fewer and fewer new breeds as time goes on, or sacrifices must be made.

Crossbreeds can't wear apparel. This is so the artists only have to draw line art for the dragons which would speed up the process considerably, though as time goes on and we get new breeds, the sheer number of crossbreeds for each new breed coming out will slow down work.

Certain dragons simply don't have crossbreeds. This means that those dragons probably wouldn't be a 'valuable' because they don't have a chance to give a probably highly sought after egg.

There is 'too much work' and then there is 'too much work for something that, while interesting, doesn't really add anything new to the game to offset the time/labor costs' which is what most people, or at least I do, mean when they say too much work. Hybrids, while interesting, would not truly add anything new: Pearlcatchers with Nocturne wings, Faes with Imperial horns etc...

Your compromise would be better, though I do see a couple of flaws:

1. Breed change scrolls, would we get these? If you think about it, as it stands right now, imperials are a 'breeding only' breed, and I personally would like to keep it so they are the only ones. Not so they are more special, but I really don't like the thought of not being able to change my favorite dragons to and from a breed should I want (I have an imp that I would love to potentially change, but since I love him as an imp, I won't because I know I would never be able to change him back if I decide I don't want him as whatever other breed I decide)

2. How would the egg be handled? Would it be a gen 1 egg with no parents? Would it be randomly generated colors. You said colors based upont the flight they are hatching from but what does that mean? would I only be able to hatch blue hybrid/parasite dragons? Would someone from arcane only be able to hatch pink ones? Would the admins have to go through and determine what 'colors' fit each flight? I could see this becoming a sore spot, simply because it would limit the colors those dragons could come in and potentially make getting XXX dragons much easier because the color palette they are able to 'roll' would be much smaller.

Would they be based off the parents? which could cause problems since hatchling characteristics are determined at hatching, which means that that egg would have to track parent info. This is one reason why you can't change a dragon who is on a nest: so that the info can't change before the eggs are hatched.

If you look in my signature there are two links you might be interested in. for hybrid dragons, there is a Breed Characteristic Apparel suggestion that suggests having apparel that can mimic 'iconic' dragon characteristics. There is also a 'mutation/mutagen' suggestion that would allow a player to introduce the change to get a 'mutated' dragon, usually not artwork intensive, if they decide to introduce a mutagen to the nest.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
1 2 3 4