Suggestions
Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | New breeds through breeding only
1 2 3 4
Not sure if someone has already thought of this, but here we go!

So, I originally proposed having cross-breeds, but I really want to point out that I thought It would be cool to have a neat way to get a dragon through breeding only. The suggestion below by Warrioir922 really makes more sense than my idea and I like it better. :)

I was looking through Neondragon's deviantart and was amazed at all the beautiful dragons (as always!) But now that I play flightrising, I noticed several dragons who had aspects of different breeds together.

So I thought, wouldn't it be cool to have "cross-bred" dragon breeds? Like lets say, a Tundra-Imperial cross.

This picture is actually what sparked the idea. I know it was a commission by Neondragon, but still: http://neondragon.deviantart.com/art/Anya-s-Midnyght-Reference-She-175598991

Pros:
-Easier to come up with new breeds
-No need for scrolls
-Combination of cool traits from different dragons

Cons:
-Crossbreds might not be desired
- Harder to come by
- Too many new breeds at once

So I figured, maybe only at certain times of the year or during an event a cross-bred might be born. Or, maybe you have to possess some kind of trinket to breed crosses (Which would take the place of scrolls- so not saving money in that regard.) It also may be important to make them rare because they would be available only through breeding.

The possibility for crossbreds between all the species is high as it is because if you took every breed possible and made crosses with every other breed there would be (theoretically) 156 possible new breeds.

So I think maybe there could be the possibility of only a handful of crosses available ever.

I am not sure of the frequencies of their offspring type whether bred to "normal"dragons or crossbreds.

Maybe only crossbreds can breed with other crossbreds in which case the 50%-50% offspring chance will occur if both the parents are different crossbreds; similar to how if you breed Wildclaws and Coatls there is a 50% chance for either cause both parents are rare.

Or maybe it would be best to have them unbreedable? (I personally don't like this idea because the whole point of the site is to breed dragons).

And Warrioir922 suggested this neat idea:
Maybe it can be a new breed that just randomly shows up. like when you go to hatch a nest, a message saying something like this will appear,

"Your nest has hatched successfully but there seems to be an extra unhatched egg? It looks different from the others. You put it in your hoard."

And the baby inside will be first gen and a new breed that is totally unrelated to the parents! That way you don't take up nest and lair space and you get a 1st gen baby!

But other than these thoughts, is there anyone else who approves or disapproves? Or has something to offer?
Not sure if someone has already thought of this, but here we go!

So, I originally proposed having cross-breeds, but I really want to point out that I thought It would be cool to have a neat way to get a dragon through breeding only. The suggestion below by Warrioir922 really makes more sense than my idea and I like it better. :)

I was looking through Neondragon's deviantart and was amazed at all the beautiful dragons (as always!) But now that I play flightrising, I noticed several dragons who had aspects of different breeds together.

So I thought, wouldn't it be cool to have "cross-bred" dragon breeds? Like lets say, a Tundra-Imperial cross.

This picture is actually what sparked the idea. I know it was a commission by Neondragon, but still: http://neondragon.deviantart.com/art/Anya-s-Midnyght-Reference-She-175598991

Pros:
-Easier to come up with new breeds
-No need for scrolls
-Combination of cool traits from different dragons

Cons:
-Crossbreds might not be desired
- Harder to come by
- Too many new breeds at once

So I figured, maybe only at certain times of the year or during an event a cross-bred might be born. Or, maybe you have to possess some kind of trinket to breed crosses (Which would take the place of scrolls- so not saving money in that regard.) It also may be important to make them rare because they would be available only through breeding.

The possibility for crossbreds between all the species is high as it is because if you took every breed possible and made crosses with every other breed there would be (theoretically) 156 possible new breeds.

So I think maybe there could be the possibility of only a handful of crosses available ever.

I am not sure of the frequencies of their offspring type whether bred to "normal"dragons or crossbreds.

Maybe only crossbreds can breed with other crossbreds in which case the 50%-50% offspring chance will occur if both the parents are different crossbreds; similar to how if you breed Wildclaws and Coatls there is a 50% chance for either cause both parents are rare.

Or maybe it would be best to have them unbreedable? (I personally don't like this idea because the whole point of the site is to breed dragons).

And Warrioir922 suggested this neat idea:
Maybe it can be a new breed that just randomly shows up. like when you go to hatch a nest, a message saying something like this will appear,

"Your nest has hatched successfully but there seems to be an extra unhatched egg? It looks different from the others. You put it in your hoard."

And the baby inside will be first gen and a new breed that is totally unrelated to the parents! That way you don't take up nest and lair space and you get a 1st gen baby!

But other than these thoughts, is there anyone else who approves or disapproves? Or has something to offer?
my_signature_by_midnightpintowolf-dcsqmj8.gif
No support. First of all and most importantly, it takes a long time to create a breed and I'd much rather that time be spent creating a completely new breed rather than hybrids of existing breeds. Just to give you an idea of how much work is involved: There are three poses (hatchling, male and female) that need to be drawn, plus the lineart for each of the genes needs to be drawn for that breed and from the seraph art stream we know each gene is recoloured by hand, so for the 20 currently existing genes that's 4020 recolours. Then they need to fit all the existing apparel onto the breed as well. Doing that will take quite a while and if they did hybrids they'd have to do it for every combo because it wouldn't make sense for certain breeds to form hybrids and not others.

Additionally there are plenty of players who want predicatbilitiy in their pairs, and having a hybrid pop up in one of their pairs could be quite annoying, especially if they were working on a breeding project, especially if the hybrid happens to be the right colors needed and if its infertile or subfertile it can't even be use it to progress the breeding project or would require a playter to have to pay even more treasure/gems to correct its breed in the cases it was the ideal gene/color/gender combination.
No support. First of all and most importantly, it takes a long time to create a breed and I'd much rather that time be spent creating a completely new breed rather than hybrids of existing breeds. Just to give you an idea of how much work is involved: There are three poses (hatchling, male and female) that need to be drawn, plus the lineart for each of the genes needs to be drawn for that breed and from the seraph art stream we know each gene is recoloured by hand, so for the 20 currently existing genes that's 4020 recolours. Then they need to fit all the existing apparel onto the breed as well. Doing that will take quite a while and if they did hybrids they'd have to do it for every combo because it wouldn't make sense for certain breeds to form hybrids and not others.

Additionally there are plenty of players who want predicatbilitiy in their pairs, and having a hybrid pop up in one of their pairs could be quite annoying, especially if they were working on a breeding project, especially if the hybrid happens to be the right colors needed and if its infertile or subfertile it can't even be use it to progress the breeding project or would require a playter to have to pay even more treasure/gems to correct its breed in the cases it was the ideal gene/color/gender combination.
3DS Friend Code: 5300-9941-4980 (A few of the games I play Pokemon, Harvest Moon)
Weekly Q&A Discussion Thread .:. Nature Lore Groups .:. Strider Subspecies
No Support.
This would ruin many peoples breeding plans. The FR team would end up enraging more players than they would be pleasing with something like this.
No Support.
This would ruin many peoples breeding plans. The FR team would end up enraging more players than they would be pleasing with something like this.
TOW2n3q.png
Sorry everyone, I don't think I made it clear. lol

@DragonSage I understand the complications of a new breed. No matter what the staff decide, this process will be completed for any new breed. I was just suggesting a different way in which to get a new dragon species.
And I may not have made it clear, but only certain combos would produce crossbreds because of the great amount of crossbreds that could theoretically be created; 156 like I said.

And the fertiliity thing was just some ideas, I wasn't saying that was how it should be exclusively. Personally I think it would be better to just act as a new breed would. When bred to lower rarities it would be more likely to pass on the breed type, or when bred to higher rarities, it would be less likely to pass on the breed type. An dbred to similiar rarities, it would have a 50% chance of passing on the breed type.

@Bowno
I suggested that a crossbred would have a very slight chance of occuring only when a certain event occured or if a trinket or scroll of somekind where used. That would get rid of the unpredictability associated with having a crossbred just occur naturally. I know I would get mad if some pair of mine produced some random dragon, this was just my suggestion to avoid this issue. I was thinking maybe the breedable ability would act like how rare it was to get a Nocturne scroll during the December event. Super rare, but still possible if you're lucky.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Keep it coming!
Sorry everyone, I don't think I made it clear. lol

@DragonSage I understand the complications of a new breed. No matter what the staff decide, this process will be completed for any new breed. I was just suggesting a different way in which to get a new dragon species.
And I may not have made it clear, but only certain combos would produce crossbreds because of the great amount of crossbreds that could theoretically be created; 156 like I said.

And the fertiliity thing was just some ideas, I wasn't saying that was how it should be exclusively. Personally I think it would be better to just act as a new breed would. When bred to lower rarities it would be more likely to pass on the breed type, or when bred to higher rarities, it would be less likely to pass on the breed type. An dbred to similiar rarities, it would have a 50% chance of passing on the breed type.

@Bowno
I suggested that a crossbred would have a very slight chance of occuring only when a certain event occured or if a trinket or scroll of somekind where used. That would get rid of the unpredictability associated with having a crossbred just occur naturally. I know I would get mad if some pair of mine produced some random dragon, this was just my suggestion to avoid this issue. I was thinking maybe the breedable ability would act like how rare it was to get a Nocturne scroll during the December event. Super rare, but still possible if you're lucky.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Keep it coming!
my_signature_by_midnightpintowolf-dcsqmj8.gif
The QQ is strong whenever anyone suggests something. I think it would be neat to have a new breed available only through more breeding. Maybe by upping the chances using those fertility statues and have it be year around, or a trinket/clothing item you have your dragons wear before they breed.

Granted, they will never do something beyond 'hey here is a new breed: here is a scroll or an egg for you'. They will never do something cool like this. But its a cool idea and i dont see any good critique against it.
The QQ is strong whenever anyone suggests something. I think it would be neat to have a new breed available only through more breeding. Maybe by upping the chances using those fertility statues and have it be year around, or a trinket/clothing item you have your dragons wear before they breed.

Granted, they will never do something beyond 'hey here is a new breed: here is a scroll or an egg for you'. They will never do something cool like this. But its a cool idea and i dont see any good critique against it.
tumblr_nq0dlcmuyk1svbq5wo1_540.png
Support! I haven't been able to get any limited breeds during their events so one through breeding would be nice! That way I have more of a chance!

@Autopilot Its funny you talk about the fertility statues because when I first started on the site, I started hoarding them because I thought they would actually help my nests in some way. lol.
Support! I haven't been able to get any limited breeds during their events so one through breeding would be nice! That way I have more of a chance!

@Autopilot Its funny you talk about the fertility statues because when I first started on the site, I started hoarding them because I thought they would actually help my nests in some way. lol.
I would be ok if it were tied with an item, because it would be more of a choice than some unexpected problem/ mistake, but would it be bought, found in random chests, or both? if it could be bought, would it be worth treasure or gems? if it were available in the marketplace, the item could be cycled in and out every now and then, like the breed change scrolls and seasonal apparel, allowing for people to pick and choose which cross-breed they wanted, so I support, just not the idea of them being sterile. Maybe having smaller clutches though.
I would be ok if it were tied with an item, because it would be more of a choice than some unexpected problem/ mistake, but would it be bought, found in random chests, or both? if it could be bought, would it be worth treasure or gems? if it were available in the marketplace, the item could be cycled in and out every now and then, like the breed change scrolls and seasonal apparel, allowing for people to pick and choose which cross-breed they wanted, so I support, just not the idea of them being sterile. Maybe having smaller clutches though.
Support, this definitely would be fun!
Support, this definitely would be fun!
Leader of the Bear Army
It has been brought up before, but ultimately it would be too much work with the coding, time and art. Also it would entirely abolish the rarity of breeds and chances of getting a select breed. This idea is cool, but as a fantasy because sadly it is unrealistic. I very much like the idea of a new breed based off of that design though!
It has been brought up before, but ultimately it would be too much work with the coding, time and art. Also it would entirely abolish the rarity of breeds and chances of getting a select breed. This idea is cool, but as a fantasy because sadly it is unrealistic. I very much like the idea of a new breed based off of that design though!
No support. What about gen one hoarders? I wanna all the races :D (Except for Imperials. I've given up on that one.)
No support. What about gen one hoarders? I wanna all the races :D (Except for Imperials. I've given up on that one.)
1 2 3 4