Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Bring back egg rot!
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29 30
No support.

Making people wait another 30 days in some cases to rebreed that pair they were looking forward to just because life caught up with them in some way and they weren't able to get online is way out of proportion as a punishment.

Being able to dump nests is one thing but egg rot is a needless mechanic that adds nothing to the game except another punishment to players who aren't on every day.
No support.

Making people wait another 30 days in some cases to rebreed that pair they were looking forward to just because life caught up with them in some way and they weren't able to get online is way out of proportion as a punishment.

Being able to dump nests is one thing but egg rot is a needless mechanic that adds nothing to the game except another punishment to players who aren't on every day.
[quote name="LilithServil" date="2015-01-05 08:35:22"]No support, I recently had to sit on a nest of a rather expensive breeding pair because my other babies weren't selling right away and I didn't want to exalt them. I also sometimes hold off hatching to hatch on specific days (i.e birthdays or holidays), so I'd like to steer clear of egg rot if possible. EDIT: However, I would support a button or item (similar to a boon, though not as pricey) that allows players to dump unwanted nests. Perhaps a toggleable option for egg rot, even, but only if the player has some say in whether they want egg rot on/off.[/quote] Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe an option to Exalt eggs instead? I would put the eggs in the hands of the Flight Deity, probably for only a few hundred treasure each at most, but it would allow players to get rid of nests without having to let them rot.
LilithServil wrote on 2015-01-05 08:35:22:
No support, I recently had to sit on a nest of a rather expensive breeding pair because my other babies weren't selling right away and I didn't want to exalt them. I also sometimes hold off hatching to hatch on specific days (i.e birthdays or holidays), so I'd like to steer clear of egg rot if possible.

EDIT:

However, I would support a button or item (similar to a boon, though not as pricey) that allows players to dump unwanted nests. Perhaps a toggleable option for egg rot, even, but only if the player has some say in whether they want egg rot on/off.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Maybe an option to Exalt eggs instead?

I would put the eggs in the hands of the Flight Deity, probably for only a few hundred treasure each at most, but it would allow players to get rid of nests without having to let them rot.
MagnusSignature_zps08f47bcd.jpg
No support.
No support.
WpjbI2U.gif
squid/winter | FR+3 | they/them | spelled squidra-gon (like octagon)
I just want an option to discard eggs.
I just want an option to discard eggs.
No support.
No support.
Feel free to ping me. I love being part of a conversation.
LORE (feel free to use):

Wights/Draugr/Wraiths/Religions/Elements/Dragonkin

PzFNFIJ.png
[quote name="Draayder" date="2015-01-05 14:45:11"]No support. Making people wait another 30 days in some cases to rebreed that pair they were looking forward to just because life caught up with them in some way and they weren't able to get online is way out of proportion as a punishment. Being able to dump nests is one thing but egg rot is a needless mechanic that adds nothing to the game except another punishment to players who aren't on every day.[/quote]
Draayder wrote on 2015-01-05 14:45:11:
No support.

image.pngtumblr_ospvc67HxP1v8lm95o1_r2_250.gifimage.png
Here's a thing I don't really understand about that argument. If someone could clarify I'd appreciate it:
If someone doesn't log onto the site at all, it would take ~10 days for the entire nest to rot (as outlined in the OP). So even the dragons with the longest cooldown only have about 25 more days before they breed again.
And if someone is a casual enough player they only visit the site every 7-9 days, it's taking them over 35 days (5+ weeks) to hatch a single nest anyways, right? So missing the cooldown isn't as big a problem. (and how are they feeding their dragons?)

If we're talking about a "regular player with an extenuating circumstance" my thought would be "Yeah, that would suck. But it's a really rare thing to have happen, and ultimately losing some hatchlings is no worse than losing a week of dailies/gathering and having a lair full of starving dragons" And how often would it really be expected to happen?

If we're talking "Casual players that only log in once a week" my response is "How 'casual' a player should the site be expected to cater to? Players that only log in once a week or less are incredibly unlikely to run a hatchery or have completely full nests at all times, so we're talking about maybe one or two lost eggs every few months. That doesn't seem like a harmful mechanic at all (compared to, for example, starving dragons.)

Even only incubating once a week for 5 weeks, a player only has a 30% chance or so of losing a single egg. Is that really the end of the world?
Here's a thing I don't really understand about that argument. If someone could clarify I'd appreciate it:
If someone doesn't log onto the site at all, it would take ~10 days for the entire nest to rot (as outlined in the OP). So even the dragons with the longest cooldown only have about 25 more days before they breed again.
And if someone is a casual enough player they only visit the site every 7-9 days, it's taking them over 35 days (5+ weeks) to hatch a single nest anyways, right? So missing the cooldown isn't as big a problem. (and how are they feeding their dragons?)

If we're talking about a "regular player with an extenuating circumstance" my thought would be "Yeah, that would suck. But it's a really rare thing to have happen, and ultimately losing some hatchlings is no worse than losing a week of dailies/gathering and having a lair full of starving dragons" And how often would it really be expected to happen?

If we're talking "Casual players that only log in once a week" my response is "How 'casual' a player should the site be expected to cater to? Players that only log in once a week or less are incredibly unlikely to run a hatchery or have completely full nests at all times, so we're talking about maybe one or two lost eggs every few months. That doesn't seem like a harmful mechanic at all (compared to, for example, starving dragons.)

Even only incubating once a week for 5 weeks, a player only has a 30% chance or so of losing a single egg. Is that really the end of the world?
@Jacq: We just had a storm that made our internet go down. This happens several times every year, and can last for days.
Also what if it takes weeks to expand your lair so you can hatch them all?
And adding a negative mechanic after the fact makes people angry.
@Jacq: We just had a storm that made our internet go down. This happens several times every year, and can last for days.
Also what if it takes weeks to expand your lair so you can hatch them all?
1qad2pq.jpg
@TaffertianTales I do acknowledge that those situations can suck, but do you often lack internet access for 9+ days multiple times a year? The point about expansion is valid, but the point of the super expensive lair expansions seems like it exists partially to prevent people from overloading on dragons early in the game (as well as being a treasure sink). If it wasn't intended that people's lairs be limited in size, why are the expansions so expensive in the first place? Just to address this part specifically: [quote]And adding a negative mechanic after the fact makes people angry.[/quote] Just to clarify, this was a feature of the site at launch that was removed in August 2013 because of site downtime beyond players' control. If you go to your account settings, you can see the remnants of it in the list as "Eggs Discarded". So it's not technically a feature added "after the fact", but a feature to possibly be reimplemented now that the site seems relatively stable (even during NoTN, the site was only unavailable for a few hours tops over a few days).
@TaffertianTales
I do acknowledge that those situations can suck, but do you often lack internet access for 9+ days multiple times a year?
The point about expansion is valid, but the point of the super expensive lair expansions seems like it exists partially to prevent people from overloading on dragons early in the game (as well as being a treasure sink). If it wasn't intended that people's lairs be limited in size, why are the expansions so expensive in the first place?

Just to address this part specifically:
Quote:
Just to clarify, this was a feature of the site at launch that was removed in August 2013 because of site downtime beyond players' control. If you go to your account settings, you can see the remnants of it in the list as "Eggs Discarded". So it's not technically a feature added "after the fact", but a feature to possibly be reimplemented now that the site seems relatively stable (even during NoTN, the site was only unavailable for a few hours tops over a few days).
No support.

1) I was around for egg rot and even though I was playing every day anyway, the possibility of my eggs rotting made breeding stressful instead of fun.

2) I've lived in areas with limited internet access, such that I could only access the internet once a week. Nor am I the only person in that position. I love breeding, it's the biggest thing that draws me back to the site, and egg rot would render breeding impossible whenever I'm in that kind of situation.

3) Most of the features that encourage people to play every day - well fed bonus, gathering, Pinkerton, etc - are mechanics that reward people for playing rather than punishing them for being away from the computer. Egg rot is a punishment.

Also the whole thing about sitting on a nest thing is... kind of weird and judgemental? It's a legitimate way to play the game and if I recall correctly the original egg rot mechanic only affected eggs until the nest was ready to hatch so it would have literally zero impact on people sitting on nests. The way egg rot was set up, it was a gamble. Your nest would be ready to hatch in five days regardless of how many time you incubated it, but if you didn't incubate you ran the risk of losing the eggs.
No support.

1) I was around for egg rot and even though I was playing every day anyway, the possibility of my eggs rotting made breeding stressful instead of fun.

2) I've lived in areas with limited internet access, such that I could only access the internet once a week. Nor am I the only person in that position. I love breeding, it's the biggest thing that draws me back to the site, and egg rot would render breeding impossible whenever I'm in that kind of situation.

3) Most of the features that encourage people to play every day - well fed bonus, gathering, Pinkerton, etc - are mechanics that reward people for playing rather than punishing them for being away from the computer. Egg rot is a punishment.

Also the whole thing about sitting on a nest thing is... kind of weird and judgemental? It's a legitimate way to play the game and if I recall correctly the original egg rot mechanic only affected eggs until the nest was ready to hatch so it would have literally zero impact on people sitting on nests. The way egg rot was set up, it was a gamble. Your nest would be ready to hatch in five days regardless of how many time you incubated it, but if you didn't incubate you ran the risk of losing the eggs.
“blaireau’s
1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29 30