Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Pose-change scrolls
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 149 150
^ Yes...plus it could cause massive confusion, and it's still too controversial for them to implement that...I'm going to add onto your comment since I like it the most.

Unlike the time they changed the mars and venus symbols, this would take lots, and lots of coding. I'm a junior in high school going into programming and I know that this would interfere with lots of pre-existing coding depending on how they code the sex differences.
Most likely they just threw the breeding, appearance, and mars/venus symbols all into one package and let it go, as well as the mother/father mechanism in the breeding page and the search systems on the auction house, as well as skins, and all other things; this is just a few of them.
Having to separate all those things to create new variables for changing the image, possibly the breeding differences, and finding a way to clear up confusion that comes with it, is just not worth it. Do you have any idea how many bugs can result from this and how many people are going to /think/ that it's a bug? Contrary to popular belief most people are not aware of this even being a possible scenario. What is it going to do for the pre-existing sex differences? How badly will it screw up breeding? And I've been on other pet sim sites and they do have the equivalent sex changing scrolls; so if FR didn't have them in the first place it's probably because of how extremely difficult it would be to implement.

I can think of a way this could work and if they implemented it a certain way I don't think this would be difficult at all, but if they didn't already the mods probably coded it in a different fashion. There are a ton of other reasons why they couldn't/wouldn't do this and I really think that this as an issue that should be laid to rest. You can have your lgbtq+ dragons all you want, but the site isn't going to conform itself to it. Like Greyjoy said, that's something you have to make true yourself.
^ Yes...plus it could cause massive confusion, and it's still too controversial for them to implement that...I'm going to add onto your comment since I like it the most.

Unlike the time they changed the mars and venus symbols, this would take lots, and lots of coding. I'm a junior in high school going into programming and I know that this would interfere with lots of pre-existing coding depending on how they code the sex differences.
Most likely they just threw the breeding, appearance, and mars/venus symbols all into one package and let it go, as well as the mother/father mechanism in the breeding page and the search systems on the auction house, as well as skins, and all other things; this is just a few of them.
Having to separate all those things to create new variables for changing the image, possibly the breeding differences, and finding a way to clear up confusion that comes with it, is just not worth it. Do you have any idea how many bugs can result from this and how many people are going to /think/ that it's a bug? Contrary to popular belief most people are not aware of this even being a possible scenario. What is it going to do for the pre-existing sex differences? How badly will it screw up breeding? And I've been on other pet sim sites and they do have the equivalent sex changing scrolls; so if FR didn't have them in the first place it's probably because of how extremely difficult it would be to implement.

I can think of a way this could work and if they implemented it a certain way I don't think this would be difficult at all, but if they didn't already the mods probably coded it in a different fashion. There are a ton of other reasons why they couldn't/wouldn't do this and I really think that this as an issue that should be laid to rest. You can have your lgbtq+ dragons all you want, but the site isn't going to conform itself to it. Like Greyjoy said, that's something you have to make true yourself.
[quote=Greyjoy]The point is, this is a suggestion geared towards RPers and Flight Rising is not an RP site.[/quote] Actually, I see this as more of a suggestion geared toward the trans community, not just the RP community (although they often overlap!). Now I don't have any hard data to back this up, but there are [i]a lot[/i] of trans people on this site. Maybe not a majority, but a very, very sizeable minority. I think formally acknowledging their presence on FR in the form of this gender change scroll is not only fantastic for the existing community on here, it will attract even more people to the site once registration opens again. Making the scroll an expensive gem item is especially good for business because it will encourage all of these new players to buy gems. This kind of marketing is powerful, and I think it's in FR's best interest to take advantage of it. Especially because a change like this isn't overpowering; it's something a player can choose to utilize or not. It's not 'alienating' the majority, but it still appeals to a large number of players, including queer people, RPers, and people who simply don't like the artwork for one of the sexes of a breed. Maybe making this scroll isn't as important as fixing some of the bugs on here, but it's definitely not a waste of time. [quote=Greyjoy]Given that it's a breeding sim, it's important that the male dragons and female dragons (sex wise) look different to each other at a glance. That's the point of different poses and sexual dimorphism.[/quote] This is why people have suggested making the gender change scrolls function like eternal youth scrolls -- gender-changed dragons wouldn't be able to be put in the AH so they don't confuse potential buyers. The only people this would affect are the ones who bought the scroll and potentially anyone who obtains the dragon through CR, and these people obviously know that the scroll was used. Overall, this idea has my full support!
Greyjoy wrote:
The point is, this is a suggestion geared towards RPers and Flight Rising is not an RP site.
Actually, I see this as more of a suggestion geared toward the trans community, not just the RP community (although they often overlap!). Now I don't have any hard data to back this up, but there are a lot of trans people on this site. Maybe not a majority, but a very, very sizeable minority. I think formally acknowledging their presence on FR in the form of this gender change scroll is not only fantastic for the existing community on here, it will attract even more people to the site once registration opens again. Making the scroll an expensive gem item is especially good for business because it will encourage all of these new players to buy gems.

This kind of marketing is powerful, and I think it's in FR's best interest to take advantage of it. Especially because a change like this isn't overpowering; it's something a player can choose to utilize or not. It's not 'alienating' the majority, but it still appeals to a large number of players, including queer people, RPers, and people who simply don't like the artwork for one of the sexes of a breed.

Maybe making this scroll isn't as important as fixing some of the bugs on here, but it's definitely not a waste of time.

Greyjoy wrote:
Given that it's a breeding sim, it's important that the male dragons and female dragons (sex wise) look different to each other at a glance. That's the point of different poses and sexual dimorphism.
This is why people have suggested making the gender change scrolls function like eternal youth scrolls -- gender-changed dragons wouldn't be able to be put in the AH so they don't confuse potential buyers. The only people this would affect are the ones who bought the scroll and potentially anyone who obtains the dragon through CR, and these people obviously know that the scroll was used.

Overall, this idea has my full support!
tumblr_inline_nitm4pYBdg1t8garv.pngazumarill.gifwater_banner.png
Wow, surprised how many replies this got. Overall, both sides are making some nice points. Really good points even.

I still support it though. c;
Wow, surprised how many replies this got. Overall, both sides are making some nice points. Really good points even.

I still support it though. c;
3w2qxKL.png henlo im cridea!!
→ august/ramona !
→ they/he/she prns
→ ask for links/listo!!
Support.

I feel like FR is a very cosmetic, or aesthetic-focused site, as a lot of focus seems to be put into the art, and art related things (skins, accents, skin and accent contests). There's also the fact that the staff want profit so the site can run, and..such. I don't feel like having this added would remove anything from the site. I do get the basis of "taking too much to code", depending on how everything is coded that is, but that's not a reason why I won't support it (it's not like I'm forcing this to happen, the admins will still decide anyhow in the end). A lot of things seem to very friendly to RPers as well, and it would also be great for RP-related reasons, or just simple personalization/customization of your own dragons.

I do not believe that when people make suggestions that they are automatically trying to rush the staff to work on such suggestions without working on everything else, I'll support this even if it takes some time to implement. I also agree with limitations similar to Eternal Youth's as to avoid confusion.
Support.

I feel like FR is a very cosmetic, or aesthetic-focused site, as a lot of focus seems to be put into the art, and art related things (skins, accents, skin and accent contests). There's also the fact that the staff want profit so the site can run, and..such. I don't feel like having this added would remove anything from the site. I do get the basis of "taking too much to code", depending on how everything is coded that is, but that's not a reason why I won't support it (it's not like I'm forcing this to happen, the admins will still decide anyhow in the end). A lot of things seem to very friendly to RPers as well, and it would also be great for RP-related reasons, or just simple personalization/customization of your own dragons.

I do not believe that when people make suggestions that they are automatically trying to rush the staff to work on such suggestions without working on everything else, I'll support this even if it takes some time to implement. I also agree with limitations similar to Eternal Youth's as to avoid confusion.
I'm not going to outright support or go against this idea at the moment. I've got some considering to do before I make any decision.

I think some very good points have been surfacing on both sides. I find it interesting - FR is actually a very art-heavy community. Of course there are players who just play for the games, coli, and breeding, but festivals wouldn't be giving out significant numbers of skins and accents every month if users weren't interested in the appearance of their dragons. I've seen many incredible artists here on FR - of course including the staff. :) It's interesting to consider it as an art selection rather than a real "gender change."

The minor physical details between genders in each breed I can see becoming a problem. I'm not saying it has to be done of course but I would be very curious to see what adding these variations (i.e. the long nose to the female RB lineart) would look like. Again - this part is NOT a serious suggestion but just an interesting thought.

Of course there are more pressing issues at hand but with any luck someday down the road FR will be running smoothly with little to no daily maintenance or bug fixes.

I dunno. Like I said - I'm neutral at this point. This is certainly different than any other gender change suggestion I've encountered.
I'm not going to outright support or go against this idea at the moment. I've got some considering to do before I make any decision.

I think some very good points have been surfacing on both sides. I find it interesting - FR is actually a very art-heavy community. Of course there are players who just play for the games, coli, and breeding, but festivals wouldn't be giving out significant numbers of skins and accents every month if users weren't interested in the appearance of their dragons. I've seen many incredible artists here on FR - of course including the staff. :) It's interesting to consider it as an art selection rather than a real "gender change."

The minor physical details between genders in each breed I can see becoming a problem. I'm not saying it has to be done of course but I would be very curious to see what adding these variations (i.e. the long nose to the female RB lineart) would look like. Again - this part is NOT a serious suggestion but just an interesting thought.

Of course there are more pressing issues at hand but with any luck someday down the road FR will be running smoothly with little to no daily maintenance or bug fixes.

I dunno. Like I said - I'm neutral at this point. This is certainly different than any other gender change suggestion I've encountered.
@Kyar

Sorry, not sure if you misunderstood or are suggesting something different! I'm not suggesting creating new art--I'm suggesting to merely generate an image of the different gender than was assigned. So, you have a female ridgeback, but the site generates an image that aligns with male ridgebacks, while keeping the official designation as female. So the dragon gets the image as if they were a male ridgeback while still breeding like a female.
@Kyar

Sorry, not sure if you misunderstood or are suggesting something different! I'm not suggesting creating new art--I'm suggesting to merely generate an image of the different gender than was assigned. So, you have a female ridgeback, but the site generates an image that aligns with male ridgebacks, while keeping the official designation as female. So the dragon gets the image as if they were a male ridgeback while still breeding like a female.
Oh no - I understood the suggestion lol. I was just thinking out loud. :) I still don't really know how I feel about this. In a way I'm kinda torn. I dunno!
Oh no - I understood the suggestion lol. I was just thinking out loud. :) I still don't really know how I feel about this. In a way I'm kinda torn. I dunno!
I like this mechanically but I'm not sure it makes sense lore-wise unless you could only use it on a hatchling or something.

"I realized that I'm actually male," Coatlboy says. "Suddenly my headfeathers got longer! It was the darndest thing."

Kinda makes more sense if it's hatchling-only, and it could be lored as an item that alters their physical growth or something.

... And if you miss that critical period you can shell out 700 gems for an eternal youth scroll + maturity scroll I guess.
I like this mechanically but I'm not sure it makes sense lore-wise unless you could only use it on a hatchling or something.

"I realized that I'm actually male," Coatlboy says. "Suddenly my headfeathers got longer! It was the darndest thing."

Kinda makes more sense if it's hatchling-only, and it could be lored as an item that alters their physical growth or something.

... And if you miss that critical period you can shell out 700 gems for an eternal youth scroll + maturity scroll I guess.
amPWH3j.png
Support. I like the idea of this acting similarly to an eternal youth scroll (and for the 'this is a breeding site' people - it's not any more unnecessary than the eternal youth scrolls, and the coders clearly thought those were worth coding in. They would also be another gem sink, so more reason for people to spend real money). Also support restrictions on selling/trading, so there's no confusion there, and possibly apparel/skin restrictions if that would take too long to code.

As far as lore goes - I imagine it'd work similar to whatever lore you're using to explain gene and breed changes, scatterscrolls and skins.
Support. I like the idea of this acting similarly to an eternal youth scroll (and for the 'this is a breeding site' people - it's not any more unnecessary than the eternal youth scrolls, and the coders clearly thought those were worth coding in. They would also be another gem sink, so more reason for people to spend real money). Also support restrictions on selling/trading, so there's no confusion there, and possibly apparel/skin restrictions if that would take too long to code.

As far as lore goes - I imagine it'd work similar to whatever lore you're using to explain gene and breed changes, scatterscrolls and skins.
Support! Queer person who wants queer dragons without an item that breaks the game. This sounds perf.
Support! Queer person who wants queer dragons without an item that breaks the game. This sounds perf.
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 149 150