Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Blocked Users Actually Blocked Site-Wide
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 28
I'm going to give this a support. With the added suggestions Knuxgator and Clockworkmoose gave. The big reason I'm supporting this is that people can change their usernames. You might have memorized their username when you blocked them as 'X' but a few weeks later they changed it to 'Y' and, without keeping your Blocked List open while AH surfing and checking every single name against the seller's name, it could be difficult to keep up with.
I'm going to give this a support. With the added suggestions Knuxgator and Clockworkmoose gave. The big reason I'm supporting this is that people can change their usernames. You might have memorized their username when you blocked them as 'X' but a few weeks later they changed it to 'Y' and, without keeping your Blocked List open while AH surfing and checking every single name against the seller's name, it could be difficult to keep up with.
I support the idea of showing their username as a different/faded color
I support the idea of showing their username as a different/faded color
1artismydrug_by_lizziecat1279-d8e77ji.png wsc_banner_by_lizziecat1279-db1jbdq.pngwyrillengenedresize_by_lizziecat1279-d8e77m6.png
I, thankfully, haven't blocked anyone on FR yet, but I have blocked people on another site I play on. I have blocked people for different reason and some of them I would never, ever buy anything from and others I don't care so much and will buy stuff from them if I really want it.

Because of this difference in levels of "I don't want to associate with you" I'd support showing blocked users' names in a different colour or marked as 'blocked', but I would not support a site wide block. This way you can make the decision to buy or not to buy while fully informed and at you own discretion.
I, thankfully, haven't blocked anyone on FR yet, but I have blocked people on another site I play on. I have blocked people for different reason and some of them I would never, ever buy anything from and others I don't care so much and will buy stuff from them if I really want it.

Because of this difference in levels of "I don't want to associate with you" I'd support showing blocked users' names in a different colour or marked as 'blocked', but I would not support a site wide block. This way you can make the decision to buy or not to buy while fully informed and at you own discretion.
6xcUChx.png

aaa%20bfr_zps1hiir7rg.png
@Primmly This issue with not seeing their replies in threads would be that, say, you're a roleplayer there would suddenly be threads you couldn't participate properly in and you wouldn't know why. Of course you wouldn't want to roleplay with someone you blocked, but you wouldn't know to LEAVE because you wouldn't know they were posting, you'd just end up confused.

I could maybe agree of having the OPTION but I don't want to have to find a new way to block people because the block feature keeps me from buying dragons I don't want just because the person is annoying?

It would be much better to have their names coloured differently and if you REALLY can't stand seeing them in forums maybe post hidden like spam on youtube but you can expand it in case it's important?
@Primmly This issue with not seeing their replies in threads would be that, say, you're a roleplayer there would suddenly be threads you couldn't participate properly in and you wouldn't know why. Of course you wouldn't want to roleplay with someone you blocked, but you wouldn't know to LEAVE because you wouldn't know they were posting, you'd just end up confused.

I could maybe agree of having the OPTION but I don't want to have to find a new way to block people because the block feature keeps me from buying dragons I don't want just because the person is annoying?

It would be much better to have their names coloured differently and if you REALLY can't stand seeing them in forums maybe post hidden like spam on youtube but you can expand it in case it's important?
2wcjzn8.gif
No support. Just don't buy from them. Its just that easy.
No support. Just don't buy from them. Its just that easy.
I support changing the color or something similar.

I was going to have a large paragraph here explaining the problems with telling people to just "suck it up and don't buy from them", but that would have been tiring for everyone involved.

So, instead, just remember it's not easy for people with reading disabilities to just "skip over" it - my dyslexia sometimes hides the usernames from me completely in the AH, and simply coloring the blocked username red or something would be a WONDERFUL fix.

I don't want to get rid of the AH entry completely! That would be far too much coding to work with. I understand that completely, as someone else who is fluent in a couple coding languages. I just want the blocked names easier to see.
I support changing the color or something similar.

I was going to have a large paragraph here explaining the problems with telling people to just "suck it up and don't buy from them", but that would have been tiring for everyone involved.

So, instead, just remember it's not easy for people with reading disabilities to just "skip over" it - my dyslexia sometimes hides the usernames from me completely in the AH, and simply coloring the blocked username red or something would be a WONDERFUL fix.

I don't want to get rid of the AH entry completely! That would be far too much coding to work with. I understand that completely, as someone else who is fluent in a couple coding languages. I just want the blocked names easier to see.
tumblr_ou7855ehS91v8lm95o4_r1_75sq.gif shadow.png tumblr_ou7855ehS91v8lm95o3_r1_75sq.gif
It takes a lot for me to block someone, and in fact I don't think I've blocked anyone here. Even so, I support this. If I DO block someone, I definitely don't want to support them with my dragonmoney.

The strikethrough/different colour idea actually answers my worry with the Search version, because there are a lot of reasons to search dragons and you might want/need to be sure you're seeing all the results. But if the clan name is visibly differentiated, that works.

I also think sadspockpanda has an extremely good point up there, for the 'just remember the names' people. If you blocked me and tomorrow you saw a dragon in the AH sold by 'Superfrank', well, that could be me. Is it your fault because you're not stalking my lair to be sure this person you don't want anything to do with hasn't renamed? I think that's an unreasonable and in fact unhealthy thing to be expecting of people.

tl;dr: support, especially with marking in a search rather than entirely hiding.
It takes a lot for me to block someone, and in fact I don't think I've blocked anyone here. Even so, I support this. If I DO block someone, I definitely don't want to support them with my dragonmoney.

The strikethrough/different colour idea actually answers my worry with the Search version, because there are a lot of reasons to search dragons and you might want/need to be sure you're seeing all the results. But if the clan name is visibly differentiated, that works.

I also think sadspockpanda has an extremely good point up there, for the 'just remember the names' people. If you blocked me and tomorrow you saw a dragon in the AH sold by 'Superfrank', well, that could be me. Is it your fault because you're not stalking my lair to be sure this person you don't want anything to do with hasn't renamed? I think that's an unreasonable and in fact unhealthy thing to be expecting of people.

tl;dr: support, especially with marking in a search rather than entirely hiding.
No support.

I wouldn't want to miss out on things in the AH that I may want just because some people didn't want to purchase things from those users they had blocked. I don't have any issue with giving money to someone I've blocked, and I wouldn't want that option taken away from me. If I want to buy from someone I've blocked, that's my business, and I don't want them wiped off the face of the AH.

If it's that big of a deal to you, then this is something that you need to take care of yourself - have your list open, read the name, avoid the seller. The vast majority of us are adults, and I think that we all need to take responsibility as adults instead of trying to get things like this to suit our needs... be aware, take your own cautions, and go on with your FR life. (:

edit:
Would like to add in for those who are taking this as something phrased rudely, that it's not meant to be, and I apologize if you find it as such. Not implying anyone is childish. I would support checkboxes to make this optional, but not as an automatic thing.
No support.

I wouldn't want to miss out on things in the AH that I may want just because some people didn't want to purchase things from those users they had blocked. I don't have any issue with giving money to someone I've blocked, and I wouldn't want that option taken away from me. If I want to buy from someone I've blocked, that's my business, and I don't want them wiped off the face of the AH.

If it's that big of a deal to you, then this is something that you need to take care of yourself - have your list open, read the name, avoid the seller. The vast majority of us are adults, and I think that we all need to take responsibility as adults instead of trying to get things like this to suit our needs... be aware, take your own cautions, and go on with your FR life. (:

edit:
Would like to add in for those who are taking this as something phrased rudely, that it's not meant to be, and I apologize if you find it as such. Not implying anyone is childish. I would support checkboxes to make this optional, but not as an automatic thing.
a star sign out of whack.
Overall, support.

Whenever I've blocked or ignored someone online, I want it to not only prevent them from contacting me, but I also don't want to see their posts or for them to see mine. For a site like FR, I wouldn't want to see their items/dragons in the AH either.

However, I do think it would be good to have options or checkboxes for the block function, so that people can choose to what extent they block another user.
Overall, support.

Whenever I've blocked or ignored someone online, I want it to not only prevent them from contacting me, but I also don't want to see their posts or for them to see mine. For a site like FR, I wouldn't want to see their items/dragons in the AH either.

However, I do think it would be good to have options or checkboxes for the block function, so that people can choose to what extent they block another user.
M i s s A r i #29593
windie at heart | familiar collector | master of trades
A pixel adoptable of an Aqua/Rose Skydancer from Wind flight. She is wearing pearly jewellery and pink arm silks.
[quote name="karamazov" date="2014-04-26 00:53:07"]No support. I wouldn't want to miss out on things in the AH that I may want just because some people didn't want to purchase things from those users they had blocked. I don't have any issue with giving money to someone I've blocked, and I wouldn't want that option taken away from me. If I want to buy from someone I've blocked, that's my business, and I don't want them wiped off the face of the AH. If it's that big of a deal to you, then this is something that you need to take care of yourself - have your list open, read the name, avoid the seller. The vast majority of us are adults, and I think that we all need to take responsibility as adults instead of trying to get things like this to suit our needs... be aware, take your own cautions, and go on with your FR life. (:[/quote] And this has to be one of the rudest responses to this thread I've seen so far. Yes, the vast majority of us are adults, and if we block someone, we've probably got a legitimate reason for it. if we don't want to see them period, and enough people want that kind of feature, there is nothing "immature" or childish about that. I'm glad you feel comfortable supporting people you don't want to hear from, that's good for you, but don't belittle others because they believe that blocking someone should actually, you know, [i]block them from your experience of the site[/i]. I greatly support this. If someone has distressed you enough to make you want to block them, I'd generally think most people wouldn't want to associate with them either in any way possible, or accidentally buy/sell from them. "Just remember their name--" NO, just no. That is a weak argument. People can change their names on here, can try to circumnavigate a bad reputation they've gotten. When you've got people saying "make sure to look out for this person at all times," that doesn't sound like a comforting environment to play in. HOPEFULLY no one has been that greatly harassed on this site, but there's reasons you don't want to see something, or anything from someone. Perfectly legitimate reasons. Most websites have this feature, where you can block them entirely. This is a common feature, where their posts and other messages/popups/notifications of any sort are filtered out. That is not hard to code. I've been in programming classes, I was a Computer Science major for a while, this isn't hard compared to some of the other things they've had to do on here. And it could easily, easily be a selectable feature.
karamazov wrote on 2014-04-26 00:53:07:
No support.

And this has to be one of the rudest responses to this thread I've seen so far. Yes, the vast majority of us are adults, and if we block someone, we've probably got a legitimate reason for it. if we don't want to see them period, and enough people want that kind of feature, there is nothing "immature" or childish about that. I'm glad you feel comfortable supporting people you don't want to hear from, that's good for you, but don't belittle others because they believe that blocking someone should actually, you know, block them from your experience of the site.

I greatly support this. If someone has distressed you enough to make you want to block them, I'd generally think most people wouldn't want to associate with them either in any way possible, or accidentally buy/sell from them.

"Just remember their name--"
NO, just no. That is a weak argument. People can change their names on here, can try to circumnavigate a bad reputation they've gotten. When you've got people saying "make sure to look out for this person at all times," that doesn't sound like a comforting environment to play in. HOPEFULLY no one has been that greatly harassed on this site, but there's reasons you don't want to see something, or anything from someone. Perfectly legitimate reasons.

Most websites have this feature, where you can block them entirely. This is a common feature, where their posts and other messages/popups/notifications of any sort are filtered out.

That is not hard to code. I've been in programming classes, I was a Computer Science major for a while, this isn't hard compared to some of the other things they've had to do on here. And it could easily, easily be a selectable feature.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 28