Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Blocked Users Actually Blocked Site-Wide
1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
[quote name="ethanol" date=2016-10-19 06:06:56] [quote name="gemajgall" date=2016-10-18 04:51:13] I just really don't get why some people don't want others to protect themselves from being contacted in any way, shape, or form by abusers. [/quote] Excuse me? Nowhere in my post did I state that I was not for people protecting themselves for abusers. I merely stated that I don't see the point in a site-wide block function. [/quote] I wasn't talking about you specifically with that final comment but a general summation of things I have noticed across this discussion on several different threads. In fact, only the first paragraph in my previous post was relevant to the section I quoted. The rest was more of my own insight on this thread. As a result, I am sensing some unneeded hostility. And the reason I don't ping people (unless they clearly state they prefer to be pinged) is because I have been harassed on this very site. "How DARE she ping people when she, herself, has 'please don't ping me' in her signature! What a HYPOCRITE!" But since you did ask, here is your ping @ethanol
******* wrote on 2016-10-19:
gemajgall wrote on 2016-10-18:
I just really don't get why some people don't want others to protect themselves from being contacted in any way, shape, or form by abusers.
Excuse me?
Nowhere in my post did I state that I was not for people protecting themselves for abusers. I merely stated that I don't see the point in a site-wide block function.

I wasn't talking about you specifically with that final comment but a general summation of things I have noticed across this discussion on several different threads. In fact, only the first paragraph in my previous post was relevant to the section I quoted. The rest was more of my own insight on this thread. As a result, I am sensing some unneeded hostility.

And the reason I don't ping people (unless they clearly state they prefer to be pinged) is because I have been harassed on this very site. "How DARE she ping people when she, herself, has 'please don't ping me' in her signature! What a HYPOCRITE!" But since you did ask, here is your ping @*******
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
I also agree with a tiered system... In some cased I just don't want to see what the person posts and in others I'd rather they not be able to, for example to access my for sale dragons (or I theres) and spite-exalt or re-sell them due to a past conflict... While sure, you can report them for harassment, I feel like this would help take pressure of off admins to have to sort through these issues if they are just not able to get at players who've blocked them in the first place.

I'm not sure it would be possible to create a system where they cannot post on the thread however... most of the threads here are just chat based and not say someone's hatchery/shop. Unless there was a new sales tab dedicated to just those threads and then you could have especially a hidden black-list.... but that get's really hard to manage and a bit too easy to abuse in my opinion.

Also, users can and DO change their names to get under the radar of others and harass them further (just look at the free dragon thread a few months back), so I think this would be far more effective than just having to remember all the names. Also as the site grows with open registration there will be more and more people and therefore more possibility for conflicts just due to the larger player base... it would be highly in-effective to try and remember more than say, 5-10 users you disagree with or have problems with... plus reporting them all for totally avoidable interactions/conflicts if the block system was more effective.
I also agree with a tiered system... In some cased I just don't want to see what the person posts and in others I'd rather they not be able to, for example to access my for sale dragons (or I theres) and spite-exalt or re-sell them due to a past conflict... While sure, you can report them for harassment, I feel like this would help take pressure of off admins to have to sort through these issues if they are just not able to get at players who've blocked them in the first place.

I'm not sure it would be possible to create a system where they cannot post on the thread however... most of the threads here are just chat based and not say someone's hatchery/shop. Unless there was a new sales tab dedicated to just those threads and then you could have especially a hidden black-list.... but that get's really hard to manage and a bit too easy to abuse in my opinion.

Also, users can and DO change their names to get under the radar of others and harass them further (just look at the free dragon thread a few months back), so I think this would be far more effective than just having to remember all the names. Also as the site grows with open registration there will be more and more people and therefore more possibility for conflicts just due to the larger player base... it would be highly in-effective to try and remember more than say, 5-10 users you disagree with or have problems with... plus reporting them all for totally avoidable interactions/conflicts if the block system was more effective.
Photobucket broke my store but here D:
I'm afraid I still can't support blocked users not being able to see or post in threads, especially places like Bug Forums, Suggestions, Guides, General Discussion, FR Discussion, etc. User posts are already shown to be blocked so you can't see what they've said, and some threads can turn out to be important or impact the player still as part of the community.

That being said, I can support blocking in certain forums - art, creative, rp and sales - anything that actually impacts the poster personally with regards to what they offer.
I'm afraid I still can't support blocked users not being able to see or post in threads, especially places like Bug Forums, Suggestions, Guides, General Discussion, FR Discussion, etc. User posts are already shown to be blocked so you can't see what they've said, and some threads can turn out to be important or impact the player still as part of the community.

That being said, I can support blocking in certain forums - art, creative, rp and sales - anything that actually impacts the poster personally with regards to what they offer.
[quote name="gemajgall" date=2016-10-19 06:38:00] [quote name="ethanol" date=2016-10-19 06:06:56] [quote name="gemajgall" date=2016-10-18 04:51:13] I just really don't get why some people don't want others to protect themselves from being contacted in any way, shape, or form by abusers. [/quote] Excuse me? Nowhere in my post did I state that I was not for people protecting themselves for abusers. I merely stated that I don't see the point in a site-wide block function. [/quote] I wasn't talking about you specifically with that final comment but a general summation of things I have noticed across this discussion on several different threads. In fact, only the first paragraph in my previous post was relevant to the section I quoted. The rest was more of my own insight on this thread. As a result, I am sensing some unneeded hostility. [/quote] Yeah, I see your point. I think I reacted a bit too harshly, I do have a tendency to be a bit nasty sometimes. With that said I've no interest in continuing the discussion further so I'll leave it there. Sorry for the trouble.
gemajgall wrote on 2016-10-19:
******* wrote on 2016-10-19:
gemajgall wrote on 2016-10-18:
I just really don't get why some people don't want others to protect themselves from being contacted in any way, shape, or form by abusers.
Excuse me?
Nowhere in my post did I state that I was not for people protecting themselves for abusers. I merely stated that I don't see the point in a site-wide block function.

I wasn't talking about you specifically with that final comment but a general summation of things I have noticed across this discussion on several different threads. In fact, only the first paragraph in my previous post was relevant to the section I quoted. The rest was more of my own insight on this thread. As a result, I am sensing some unneeded hostility.

Yeah, I see your point. I think I reacted a bit too harshly, I do have a tendency to be a bit nasty sometimes.

With that said I've no interest in continuing the discussion further so I'll leave it there. Sorry for the trouble.
ethanol_by_dislike_like-dbg3xow.png
Support. IF there's anything I've learned from many years being a ghost around forums/tumblr/etc , is that Blocking Is Important.

Being able to enjoy your experience without the worry of having others pop up unwanted in either threads or other interactions is very useful, very stress relieving.

It's difficult to implement from an i.t. perspective, and that I can fully appreciate and understand. But something more effective than what's already in place would be lovely, tiered or full block. I personally would support full blockage on account of the fact not seeing someone /at all/ in any way shape or form is truly a relief.

In the end, though, I recognize the development of such tools and avoiding them interfering with all platforms within the site takes time and testing. I do hope the admins consider what we've spoken about here, however. Thank you!
Support. IF there's anything I've learned from many years being a ghost around forums/tumblr/etc , is that Blocking Is Important.

Being able to enjoy your experience without the worry of having others pop up unwanted in either threads or other interactions is very useful, very stress relieving.

It's difficult to implement from an i.t. perspective, and that I can fully appreciate and understand. But something more effective than what's already in place would be lovely, tiered or full block. I personally would support full blockage on account of the fact not seeing someone /at all/ in any way shape or form is truly a relief.

In the end, though, I recognize the development of such tools and avoiding them interfering with all platforms within the site takes time and testing. I do hope the admins consider what we've spoken about here, however. Thank you!
SsDRJ6t.pngdbR6FAo.pngYohjRio.pngfL0umpy.png
No support.

Not that it would bother me at all if this was implemented, but I just feel like asking for it is unnecessary work for the staffers over something we have control over anyway. For the amount of coding that would need to take place on the site for something like this, it seems more reasonable and easier to just pay attention to the username and to not support a user virtually financially if you prefer not to do that.

Blocking is something you do so that THEY don't bother YOU. You don't block someone so that YOU don't interact with THEM. You're not in control of anyone's actions but your own, so if you don't want someone to have anything to do with you, it's fair to stop them from harassing you, but it seems silly to me to stop you from interacting with them when you're the one in control of that in the first place?

Let's pretend you never noticed the username, not once, and you bought the dragon none the wiser. You've blocked that user, so even if they tried to give you crap for buying their dragon, they can't because you blocked them. You got a dragon, they're still blocked, so at that point it kinda seems like the issue is already solved here IMO. There's little to no problem in need of solving in this situation. What about those who don't feel the same way like myself, who believe the economy/money is entirely unrelated to emotions here? Adds more work be it to the community who has said conflicting positions about the feature, or adds more work to implement and control the reaction to such a feature, all because some people would rather have it easy when they personally feel like boycotting personally-blocked players.

If you have an lengthily list of people too numerous to memorize the names of blocked, then maybe you need to evaluate YOURSELF and your own actions instead of boycotting THAT many people. Maybe you need to come to the realization that among every interaction with all those people that caused you to block all of them, YOU are the most poignant common denominator among them. Just a side-thought.
No support.

Not that it would bother me at all if this was implemented, but I just feel like asking for it is unnecessary work for the staffers over something we have control over anyway. For the amount of coding that would need to take place on the site for something like this, it seems more reasonable and easier to just pay attention to the username and to not support a user virtually financially if you prefer not to do that.

Blocking is something you do so that THEY don't bother YOU. You don't block someone so that YOU don't interact with THEM. You're not in control of anyone's actions but your own, so if you don't want someone to have anything to do with you, it's fair to stop them from harassing you, but it seems silly to me to stop you from interacting with them when you're the one in control of that in the first place?

Let's pretend you never noticed the username, not once, and you bought the dragon none the wiser. You've blocked that user, so even if they tried to give you crap for buying their dragon, they can't because you blocked them. You got a dragon, they're still blocked, so at that point it kinda seems like the issue is already solved here IMO. There's little to no problem in need of solving in this situation. What about those who don't feel the same way like myself, who believe the economy/money is entirely unrelated to emotions here? Adds more work be it to the community who has said conflicting positions about the feature, or adds more work to implement and control the reaction to such a feature, all because some people would rather have it easy when they personally feel like boycotting personally-blocked players.

If you have an lengthily list of people too numerous to memorize the names of blocked, then maybe you need to evaluate YOURSELF and your own actions instead of boycotting THAT many people. Maybe you need to come to the realization that among every interaction with all those people that caused you to block all of them, YOU are the most poignant common denominator among them. Just a side-thought.
aBcTdao.png
ePOliyb.pngmTAp2ld.pngNlmYDAS.pngq9EEy5M.png
fdUVIfW.png
to PsychoticRomance 70834
ejtsBdV.png

Cute lil flyin' dergin
7fINQj7.gif

Kiwi's Hatchery
zkAFsLJ.png

Tiger head linking to my carrd
xztAvSq.png
I should clarify: A full blockage of seeing said user's auctions/posts/mails/pings, not stopping them in any way whatsoever from continuing to interact with the same platform as anyone else does. With the exception, perhaps, of not seeing the blocker (ee?) 's auctions/posts. It's to provide a buffer for both parties so they can continue to enjoy the site we've all come to know and love.

I think I'd worded my other message poorly, but with this addition I feel it's more clear. Granted again. I understand that is a difficult task from an it perspective, so I can fully respect if it isn't implemented in full or ever.

Either way I'm glad this subject popped up. uvu. Still in support.

I should clarify: A full blockage of seeing said user's auctions/posts/mails/pings, not stopping them in any way whatsoever from continuing to interact with the same platform as anyone else does. With the exception, perhaps, of not seeing the blocker (ee?) 's auctions/posts. It's to provide a buffer for both parties so they can continue to enjoy the site we've all come to know and love.

I think I'd worded my other message poorly, but with this addition I feel it's more clear. Granted again. I understand that is a difficult task from an it perspective, so I can fully respect if it isn't implemented in full or ever.

Either way I'm glad this subject popped up. uvu. Still in support.

SsDRJ6t.pngdbR6FAo.pngYohjRio.pngfL0umpy.png
[quote name="Knux" date="2014-04-25 16:51:44" ] "Support. If I ever have to blacklist someone (or multiple someones) and don't want to interact with them in any way; I also don't want to have to/remember their name(s) everytime I go shopping." "... it could well be impossible for people to remember a select list of names on the fly for the rest of their time on FR. And the need to remember would just keep bad feelings close to the surface." [/quote] This is exactly my feeling on it, big support from me as well to implement a more robust blocking option.
Knux wrote on 2014-04-25 16:51:44:
"Support.

If I ever have to blacklist someone (or multiple someones) and don't want to interact with them in any way; I also don't want to have to/remember their name(s) everytime I go shopping."

"... it could well be impossible for people to remember a select list of names on the fly for the rest of their time on FR. And the need to remember would just keep bad feelings close to the surface."

This is exactly my feeling on it, big support from me as well to implement a more robust blocking option.
tpG8plN.gif 20f0d7fd40667f35723eea7f24de9c519f7b2cca.png 9tl1qHF.gif
[quote name="Snape" date="2014-04-25 16:01:28" ] No support. You block them so that they can't bother you, if you don't want to buy their dragons you don't have to but there's no need to block them completely. I have no problems buying things from people I blocked because it's a transaction that doesn't involve them bothering me. Blocking is a useful feature, but it's to stop people from bothering you directly, not so you can make sure you don't buy from them. It takes a whole second to read the seller name if you want to be careful. [/quote] Sums up my thoughts. Don't buy the derg if you don't want to support them, simple as that. Im not going to read through the entire thread, since it appears to have diverged greatly from dragons on AH when I skipped to the back end... So that's my copy and paste thoughts on the original thingy. I dunno, it might just be me being a laid back potato, as long as someone I blocked can't talk to me, I'm good. [size=0]not that I've had to block someone yet.[/size] Please don't ping me on this one, just dropping my cents and going.
Snape wrote on 2014-04-25 16:01:28:
No support. You block them so that they can't bother you, if you don't want to buy their dragons you don't have to but there's no need to block them completely. I have no problems buying things from people I blocked because it's a transaction that doesn't involve them bothering me.

Blocking is a useful feature, but it's to stop people from bothering you directly, not so you can make sure you don't buy from them. It takes a whole second to read the seller name if you want to be careful.

Sums up my thoughts. Don't buy the derg if you don't want to support them, simple as that. Im not going to read through the entire thread, since it appears to have diverged greatly from dragons on AH when I skipped to the back end... So that's my copy and paste thoughts on the original thingy. I dunno, it might just be me being a laid back potato, as long as someone I blocked can't talk to me, I'm good. not that I've had to block someone yet. Please don't ping me on this one, just dropping my cents and going.
I love coffee. I love it oh so dearly. The caffeinated joy that brings me to waddle my penguin legs to freedom and join my fellow short brethren. One goal upon all our minds as a collective hive of couch potatoes: feed, sleep, feed. Yet I dared to defect, and ventured to the vast lands to sip the nectar of holiness. The frappuccino size grande. I fell many great beasts; titans of giraffe leggeths, shopping carts of short person annihilation, and crowds of tiny human destruction. I have conquered them all.
@Paigeboi @GrandeLatte Blocking has been updated a few months ago and the original idea - not seeing the auctions from the blocked people and inverse - has been implemented in the new AH. The original suggestion is not relevant anymore. [quote=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/2541697/1] The block system has been updated. Viewing lairs, sending PMs, pinging, initiating friend requests, and attempting to create private auctions or Crossroads trades are no longer possible for either the blocked player or the player that initiated the block. On the forums, you will no longer see the name, broadcast, vista, or avatar of players that you block. However, unlike other sections of the site, players who have been blocked will not have their experience limited.[/quote]
@Paigeboi @GrandeLatte
Blocking has been updated a few months ago and the original idea - not seeing the auctions from the blocked people and inverse - has been implemented in the new AH. The original suggestion is not relevant anymore.
http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/ann/2541697/1 wrote:
The block system has been updated. Viewing lairs, sending PMs, pinging,
initiating friend requests, and attempting to create private auctions or Crossroads trades are no longer possible for either the blocked player or the player that initiated the block. On the forums, you will no longer see the name, broadcast, vista, or avatar of players that you block. However, unlike other sections of the site, players who have been blocked will not have their experience limited.
JQQ3Fjt.png
1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28