Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Blocked Users Actually Blocked Site-Wide
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 28
@KnuxGator- so open your blacklist in another tab. /Shrug. Or keep a list to double check.
@KnuxGator- so open your blacklist in another tab. /Shrug. Or keep a list to double check.
knhLXgs.png
Support. I haven't found anyone who I'd have to block yet (thankfully), but I understand how hard it is for people who want nothing to do with certain others. It'd be nice if the feature covered any and all bases, if possible.
Support. I haven't found anyone who I'd have to block yet (thankfully), but I understand how hard it is for people who want nothing to do with certain others. It'd be nice if the feature covered any and all bases, if possible.
/blathering on/This seems like a tricky matter for me to engage into, seeing as this situation didn't actually happen to me yet. So I can't completely speak from experience. However, I am a generally absent-minded person in real life, and that's not a personality trait I can avoid absolutely all the time unless I channel Mad-Eye Moody and go "Constant Vigilance !" (which I do...until some weeks later when I get bored of leaving notes for myself everywhere, or I stop forgetting for a while, until next time).

Sometimes, I'm due to slip up. This means loosing my keys in one of my bags, forgetting an appointment, forgetting a name, walking into tree-branches because that rock down here was shiny and distracted me...I gather that not everyone is as scatterbrained as I am, but I put myself in the shoes of the people who had this happen to them in-game...If that was me, I'd like to have the option of blocking completely, at least./blathering off/
/blathering on/This seems like a tricky matter for me to engage into, seeing as this situation didn't actually happen to me yet. So I can't completely speak from experience. However, I am a generally absent-minded person in real life, and that's not a personality trait I can avoid absolutely all the time unless I channel Mad-Eye Moody and go "Constant Vigilance !" (which I do...until some weeks later when I get bored of leaving notes for myself everywhere, or I stop forgetting for a while, until next time).

Sometimes, I'm due to slip up. This means loosing my keys in one of my bags, forgetting an appointment, forgetting a name, walking into tree-branches because that rock down here was shiny and distracted me...I gather that not everyone is as scatterbrained as I am, but I put myself in the shoes of the people who had this happen to them in-game...If that was me, I'd like to have the option of blocking completely, at least./blathering off/
I'm on the fence on this. On the one hand, I definitely don't want to accidentally support a racist/albeist/homophobe/transphobe/etc, but it would be difficult to code...
I'm on the fence on this. On the one hand, I definitely don't want to accidentally support a racist/albeist/homophobe/transphobe/etc, but it would be difficult to code...
Support- maybe two levels of blocking? One acts as blocking does now, and the other blocks them as the OP suggests? So if you want to block someone from harassing you, but you don't mind buying from them, you can, and if you really don't want to know that you exist in the same worldspace as them, you can. Both sides win. (except for the coders- sorry! D:)
Support- maybe two levels of blocking? One acts as blocking does now, and the other blocks them as the OP suggests? So if you want to block someone from harassing you, but you don't mind buying from them, you can, and if you really don't want to know that you exist in the same worldspace as them, you can. Both sides win. (except for the coders- sorry! D:)
L A D Y S P I B E
Haunted Stone Orb
she • fr+3 • lore lair • exalting lair

 fulfill your calling
lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. maecenas maximus, risus eget molestie viverra, augue arcu dictum justo, maximus aliquam risus velit non lectus.
Support. Blocking someone should mean site-wide blocking, as in not seeing their threads, not seeing their replies in other people's threads, etc.
Support. Blocking someone should mean site-wide blocking, as in not seeing their threads, not seeing their replies in other people's threads, etc.
[quote name="tec" date="2014-04-25 17:34:56"]I'm on the fence on this. On the one hand, I definitely don't want to accidentally support a racist/albeist/homophobe/transphobe/etc, but it would be difficult to code...[/quote] Perhaps instead of fully removing users from the AH and such, it might be simpler to code blacklisted users names to show as a different color? Say, red? Or, perhaps have a small symbol by their name (like a bold black 'B') so it's easier to spot them and therefore avoid them?
tec wrote on 2014-04-25 17:34:56:

Perhaps instead of fully removing users from the AH and such, it might be simpler to code blacklisted users names to show as a different color? Say, red? Or, perhaps have a small symbol by their name (like a bold black 'B') so it's easier to spot them and therefore avoid them?
[quote name="KnuxGator" date="2014-04-25 19:11:56"] Perhaps instead of fully removing users from the AH and such, it might be simpler to code blacklisted users names to show as a different color? Say, red? Or, perhaps have a small symbol by their name (like a bold black 'B') so it's easier to spot them and therefore avoid them?[/quote] I read this thread a while back, but didn't really know how to comment. Because, yes, if a person is acting block-worthy, then block their personal comments and hide that away! But there is nothing inherently different about user A or B selling a dragon, had you not seen the personal comments first. I am /sure/ there are people on this site with very very repellent philosophies, and yet because they do not post them out in the public, you have no idea that the person you're buying a dragon from is actually worse than all the people you've blocked combined. So changing the block to not only block the off-site real-world opinions of a person, but also the fictional dragon-aspect of the game that doesn't involve anything personal? It bothers me. But if also buying dragons or items from someone is that much of a bother to the people who do have the blocks in place, I wouldn't want to flat out say no to the idea of a site wide block. Having the block would bother me in the same way not having the block would bother someone else. Neither of us is inherently more right to be bothered than the other. So I do think marking the user in some way, but leaving their dragons and items visible, is a fairer compromise, and I could support something like a strike through of the username, or dimming it out in some way while leaving it visible.
KnuxGator wrote on 2014-04-25 19:11:56:
Perhaps instead of fully removing users from the AH and such, it might be simpler to code blacklisted users names to show as a different color? Say, red? Or, perhaps have a small symbol by their name (like a bold black 'B') so it's easier to spot them and therefore avoid them?

I read this thread a while back, but didn't really know how to comment. Because, yes, if a person is acting block-worthy, then block their personal comments and hide that away! But there is nothing inherently different about user A or B selling a dragon, had you not seen the personal comments first. I am /sure/ there are people on this site with very very repellent philosophies, and yet because they do not post them out in the public, you have no idea that the person you're buying a dragon from is actually worse than all the people you've blocked combined.
So changing the block to not only block the off-site real-world opinions of a person, but also the fictional dragon-aspect of the game that doesn't involve anything personal?
It bothers me. But if also buying dragons or items from someone is that much of a bother to the people who do have the blocks in place, I wouldn't want to flat out say no to the idea of a site wide block. Having the block would bother me in the same way not having the block would bother someone else. Neither of us is inherently more right to be bothered than the other.
So I do think marking the user in some way, but leaving their dragons and items visible, is a fairer compromise, and I could support something like a strike through of the username, or dimming it out in some way while leaving it visible.
f2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.gif
Support in the same way as clockworkMoose. I often catch myself nearly buying from some users in the AH when I in no way want to give them my treasure. If their name would show up red or was in some way different then everyones elses name it would help me immensely.
Support in the same way as clockworkMoose. I often catch myself nearly buying from some users in the AH when I in no way want to give them my treasure. If their name would show up red or was in some way different then everyones elses name it would help me immensely.
mothsmall.png7jZclF3.gifdaintysmallup-2.png
[quote name="Snape" date="2014-04-25 16:01:28"]No support. You block them so that they can't bother you, if you don't want to buy their dragons you don't have to but there's no need to block them completely. I have no problems buying things from people I blocked because it's a transaction that doesn't involve them bothering me. Blocking is a useful feature, but it's to stop people from bothering you directly, not so you can make sure you don't buy from them. It takes a whole second to read the seller name if you want to be careful.[/quote] No support for these reasons.
Snape wrote on 2014-04-25 16:01:28:
No support. You block them so that they can't bother you, if you don't want to buy their dragons you don't have to but there's no need to block them completely. I have no problems buying things from people I blocked because it's a transaction that doesn't involve them bothering me.

Blocking is a useful feature, but it's to stop people from bothering you directly, not so you can make sure you don't buy from them. It takes a whole second to read the seller name if you want to be careful.

No support for these reasons.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27 28