Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | #UnnamedIsValid
1 2 ... 66 67 68 69 70 ... 162 163
[quote]The admins have already put in place a solution to the 'issue' of unnamed exalts, which is to name the dragon while it still belongs to you because once it leaves your lair, it belongs to the new person and they can do what they wish.[/quote] I, too, am of the opinion that you don't have any control of the dragon once its out of your lair. (I'm also of the opinion that, no matter what names we like, we have the responsibility to be respectful to the people we buy dragons from and no individual ever has the right to jump down someone's throat for "dictating my playstyle" or something like that.) There may be a perfectly good solution, but the communication about that solution is so ultimately awful. There [i]really[/i] needs to be a tutorial or something like that for people just joining so they understand before selling their first dragon that their dragons may be exalted or whatever once they're sold and that's just the game. And if they don't want them to be unnamed (or named Ultrafast or Jonathan or something), then they have to name them before they sell. I think it would go a long way to take away an unpleasant surprise from a newbie.
Quote:
The admins have already put in place a solution to the 'issue' of unnamed exalts, which is to name the dragon while it still belongs to you because once it leaves your lair, it belongs to the new person and they can do what they wish.
I, too, am of the opinion that you don't have any control of the dragon once its out of your lair. (I'm also of the opinion that, no matter what names we like, we have the responsibility to be respectful to the people we buy dragons from and no individual ever has the right to jump down someone's throat for "dictating my playstyle" or something like that.)

There may be a perfectly good solution, but the communication about that solution is so ultimately awful. There really needs to be a tutorial or something like that for people just joining so they understand before selling their first dragon that their dragons may be exalted or whatever once they're sold and that's just the game. And if they don't want them to be unnamed (or named Ultrafast or Jonathan or something), then they have to name them before they sell.

I think it would go a long way to take away an unpleasant surprise from a newbie.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
I agree that communication is the source of the issue here, but I have to say, once you sell something, it is no longer your property, whether it's IRL or in a game. This is the sort of common sense that every human being should have by age 13. I remember as young as elementary school, if you swapped your lunch, the rule was "no take backsies."

A small and friendly reminder would be nice, but ultimately I can't imagine how so many people could have such a basic misunderstanding.

I also think that if the game says "Name your dragons if you don't want them Unnamed" that would serve to further stigmatize Unnamed dragons. When I was a newbie, I rarely visited the forums. Sold my first hatchies for way too little and they were bought and exalted Unnamed immediately. It was a couple months before I learned I was not "supposed" to do that, and that Unnamed was somehow "bad." (And then I just continued to not care.)

Newbies learn site culture from the devs and more experienced players. If everyone just agrees to stop implying that Unnamed is bad, then newbies won't learn that Unnamed is bad. They might come to that conclusion on their own, but that would then be their own personal interpretation of the lore. (Similar to how exalting is not death, but some people choose to see it that way in their own lore.)
I agree that communication is the source of the issue here, but I have to say, once you sell something, it is no longer your property, whether it's IRL or in a game. This is the sort of common sense that every human being should have by age 13. I remember as young as elementary school, if you swapped your lunch, the rule was "no take backsies."

A small and friendly reminder would be nice, but ultimately I can't imagine how so many people could have such a basic misunderstanding.

I also think that if the game says "Name your dragons if you don't want them Unnamed" that would serve to further stigmatize Unnamed dragons. When I was a newbie, I rarely visited the forums. Sold my first hatchies for way too little and they were bought and exalted Unnamed immediately. It was a couple months before I learned I was not "supposed" to do that, and that Unnamed was somehow "bad." (And then I just continued to not care.)

Newbies learn site culture from the devs and more experienced players. If everyone just agrees to stop implying that Unnamed is bad, then newbies won't learn that Unnamed is bad. They might come to that conclusion on their own, but that would then be their own personal interpretation of the lore. (Similar to how exalting is not death, but some people choose to see it that way in their own lore.)
It takes Twelve Years for one Imperial pair to produce a Primal-eyed offspring of a specific sex. Goal-based breeding is dead.
[quote name="Almedha" date="2018-09-26 06:45:19" ] [quote]The admins have already put in place a solution to the 'issue' of unnamed exalts, which is to name the dragon while it still belongs to you because once it leaves your lair, it belongs to the new person and they can do what they wish.[/quote] I, too, am of the opinion that you don't have any control of the dragon once its out of your lair. (I'm also of the opinion that, no matter what names we like, we have the responsibility to be respectful to the people we buy dragons from and no individual ever has the right to jump down someone's throat for "dictating my playstyle" or something like that.) There may be a perfectly good solution, but the communication about that solution is so ultimately awful. There [i]really[/i] needs to be a tutorial or something like that for people just joining so they understand before selling their first dragon that their dragons may be exalted or whatever once they're sold and that's just the game. And if they don't want them to be unnamed (or named Ultrafast or Jonathan or something), then they have to name them before they sell. I think it would go a long way to take away an unpleasant surprise from a newbie. [/quote] I feel that the new player tutorial should be a bit more extensive. Not so much pointing out Unnamed is bad, but more that, in general, the new owner of the dragon has the rights to everything about the dragon, and just general 99% of dragons will be exalted, and therefore give your dragons a name you are happy with. Or something along those lines.
Almedha wrote on 2018-09-26 06:45:19:
Quote:
The admins have already put in place a solution to the 'issue' of unnamed exalts, which is to name the dragon while it still belongs to you because once it leaves your lair, it belongs to the new person and they can do what they wish.
I, too, am of the opinion that you don't have any control of the dragon once its out of your lair. (I'm also of the opinion that, no matter what names we like, we have the responsibility to be respectful to the people we buy dragons from and no individual ever has the right to jump down someone's throat for "dictating my playstyle" or something like that.)

There may be a perfectly good solution, but the communication about that solution is so ultimately awful. There really needs to be a tutorial or something like that for people just joining so they understand before selling their first dragon that their dragons may be exalted or whatever once they're sold and that's just the game. And if they don't want them to be unnamed (or named Ultrafast or Jonathan or something), then they have to name them before they sell.

I think it would go a long way to take away an unpleasant surprise from a newbie.
I feel that the new player tutorial should be a bit more extensive.

Not so much pointing out Unnamed is bad, but more that, in general, the new owner of the dragon has the rights to everything about the dragon, and just general 99% of dragons will be exalted, and therefore give your dragons a name you are happy with. Or something along those lines.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote]I agree that communication is the source of the issue here, but I have to say, once you sell something, it is no longer your property, whether it's IRL or in a game.[/quote] Oh,I don't think that's the issue. I mean, when I first started, I was all starry-eyed about these gorgeous dragons I was going to keep forever. That doesn't last long, but it lasts long enough to sell your first nest and not realize that you (and everyone else) will absolutely not keep every dragon you have now forever. It's not that you want to treat the dragon you sold as still yours, it's that you thought your feeling toward these dragons was a common one. And it is. For the new kids. A few weeks later, almost everyone will exalt almost anything. Especially those "turns out you were hideous" dragons you bought your first day. The message doesn't have to point out anything specific except that your dragon will most likely be exalted if you sell, and whatever state it's in now will likely be permanent. Plus others. I would have liked to know how the game worked when I started.
Quote:
I agree that communication is the source of the issue here, but I have to say, once you sell something, it is no longer your property, whether it's IRL or in a game.
Oh,I don't think that's the issue. I mean, when I first started, I was all starry-eyed about these gorgeous dragons I was going to keep forever. That doesn't last long, but it lasts long enough to sell your first nest and not realize that you (and everyone else) will absolutely not keep every dragon you have now forever.

It's not that you want to treat the dragon you sold as still yours, it's that you thought your feeling toward these dragons was a common one. And it is. For the new kids.

A few weeks later, almost everyone will exalt almost anything. Especially those "turns out you were hideous" dragons you bought your first day.

The message doesn't have to point out anything specific except that your dragon will most likely be exalted if you sell, and whatever state it's in now will likely be permanent.

Plus others. I would have liked to know how the game worked when I started.
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="Almedha" date="2018-09-26 09:09:49" ] Plus others. I would have liked to know how the game worked when I started. [/quote] This. I was fortunate enough that I had someone who taught me the ropes when I first started and that I am the type of person who is naturally curious about things so I went looking for help. However, thinking back to my first days and having the 'unnamed' thing explained, I had no clue what was going on, nor what it even meant. I had no clue about exalting, or selling dragons or anything like that. It just didn't make sense to me, so unfortunately, while I still support a more extensive tutorial, sometimes experience is the best teacher. I do think the tutorial should emphasis more about things like the idea that beauty isn't universal and not everyone will appreciate your dragon's kids like you do and that when you sell a dragon, you have no rights to the dragon, even though it is still linked to your dragon through the offspring lists. (and just had a thought, and this is being somewhat facetious, but maybe, if the breeders of dragons want to be able to tell buyers what or how to name the dragons they buy because that dragon still shows up on the offspring list, perhaps the buyers should be able to tell the breeders what to name their dragons, because those dragons still show up on the offspring's page through the parent box...)
Almedha wrote on 2018-09-26 09:09:49:
Plus others. I would have liked to know how the game worked when I started.
This.

I was fortunate enough that I had someone who taught me the ropes when I first started and that I am the type of person who is naturally curious about things so I went looking for help.

However, thinking back to my first days and having the 'unnamed' thing explained, I had no clue what was going on, nor what it even meant. I had no clue about exalting, or selling dragons or anything like that.

It just didn't make sense to me, so unfortunately, while I still support a more extensive tutorial, sometimes experience is the best teacher. I do think the tutorial should emphasis more about things like the idea that beauty isn't universal and not everyone will appreciate your dragon's kids like you do and that when you sell a dragon, you have no rights to the dragon, even though it is still linked to your dragon through the offspring lists.

(and just had a thought, and this is being somewhat facetious, but maybe, if the breeders of dragons want to be able to tell buyers what or how to name the dragons they buy because that dragon still shows up on the offspring list, perhaps the buyers should be able to tell the breeders what to name their dragons, because those dragons still show up on the offspring's page through the parent box...)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png

14318365.png
[quote]this is being somewhat facetious, but maybe, if the breeders of dragons want to be able to tell buyers what or how to name the dragons they buy because that dragon still shows up on the offspring list, perhaps the buyers should be able to tell the breeders what to name their dragons, because those dragons still show up on the offspring's page through the parent box...[/quote] Well, you may have to combat bit of "first come, first served" and/or "buyer beware." Facetiously, of course. I'm afraid at this point we can't tell whether or not experience is the best teacher, since we don't really have any other. It would be far better for people to be able to choose whether they want to learn from a tutorial or from experience. Then there'd actually be no excuse for not, say, naming your [s]dreams(lol autocorrect)[/s] dragons before you sell.
Quote:
this is being somewhat facetious, but maybe, if the breeders of dragons want to be able to tell buyers what or how to name the dragons they buy because that dragon still shows up on the offspring list, perhaps the buyers should be able to tell the breeders what to name their dragons, because those dragons still show up on the offspring's page through the parent box...
Well, you may have to combat bit of "first come, first served" and/or "buyer beware." Facetiously, of course.

I'm afraid at this point we can't tell whether or not experience is the best teacher, since we don't really have any other. It would be far better for people to be able to choose whether they want to learn from a tutorial or from experience. Then there'd actually be no excuse for not, say, naming your dreams(lol autocorrect) dragons before you sell.
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
You mean you haven't gotten one of those pms?

I've had 3, maybe 4 now where I've had messages from people who bought dragons from me ask if I could name/rename the parents. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Generally, those people are polite and include renaming scrolls. I've accommodated all but one of them (I didn't own the dragon and was only holding it for the owner). I still scratch my head over them.

I've had 3, maybe 4 now where I've had messages from people who bought dragons from me ask if I could name/rename the parents. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Generally, those people are polite and include renaming scrolls. I've accommodated all but one of them (I didn't own the dragon and was only holding it for the owner). I still scratch my head over them.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
[quote name="Almedha" date="2018-09-26 10:41:08" ] [quote]this is being somewhat facetious, but maybe, if the breeders of dragons want to be able to tell buyers what or how to name the dragons they buy because that dragon still shows up on the offspring list, perhaps the buyers should be able to tell the breeders what to name their dragons, because those dragons still show up on the offspring's page through the parent box...[/quote] Well, you may have to combat bit of "first come, first served" and/or "buyer beware." Facetiously, of course. I'm afraid at this point we can't tell whether or not experience is the best teacher, since we don't really have any other. It would be far better for people to be able to choose whether they want to learn from a tutorial or from experience. Then there'd actually be no excuse for not, say, naming your [s]dreams(lol autocorrect)[/s] dragons before you sell. [/quote] Yeah, I am not saying that we shouldn't have it, just that I did get some help in that area (unfortunately the message system is horrible, and I have like 300+ pages of both sent and recieved messages, so I can't really get to the messages from when I first started to reread what I was told and what I said in return) and until I really started playing the game, it didn't make sense to me, because I didn't have any experience in what these terms meant and nor is how the site exactly did things. That is basically what I meant is that until players start to experience the site, many of these words would be just that, words that mean nothing, because they have no context to them. Then, by the time they get around to say selling their first hatchlings, they have already forgotten the tutorial. (they would still help, I guess I am just saying don't expect, should this be implemented, a huge change in things)
Almedha wrote on 2018-09-26 10:41:08:
Quote:
this is being somewhat facetious, but maybe, if the breeders of dragons want to be able to tell buyers what or how to name the dragons they buy because that dragon still shows up on the offspring list, perhaps the buyers should be able to tell the breeders what to name their dragons, because those dragons still show up on the offspring's page through the parent box...
Well, you may have to combat bit of "first come, first served" and/or "buyer beware." Facetiously, of course.

I'm afraid at this point we can't tell whether or not experience is the best teacher, since we don't really have any other. It would be far better for people to be able to choose whether they want to learn from a tutorial or from experience. Then there'd actually be no excuse for not, say, naming your dreams(lol autocorrect) dragons before you sell.
Yeah, I am not saying that we shouldn't have it, just that I did get some help in that area (unfortunately the message system is horrible, and I have like 300+ pages of both sent and recieved messages, so I can't really get to the messages from when I first started to reread what I was told and what I said in return) and until I really started playing the game, it didn't make sense to me, because I didn't have any experience in what these terms meant and nor is how the site exactly did things.

That is basically what I meant is that until players start to experience the site, many of these words would be just that, words that mean nothing, because they have no context to them. Then, by the time they get around to say selling their first hatchlings, they have already forgotten the tutorial. (they would still help, I guess I am just saying don't expect, should this be implemented, a huge change in things)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png

14318365.png
[quote name="Nightwind" date="2018-09-26 10:47:38" ] You mean you haven't gotten one of those pms? I've had 3, maybe 4 now where I've had messages from people who bought dragons from me ask if I could name/rename the parents. Maybe I'm just lucky? Generally, those people are polite and include renaming scrolls. I've accommodated all but one of them (I didn't own the dragon and was only holding it for the owner). I still scratch my head over them. [/quote] actually, no. However, I do sell mostly for fodder, so I doubt many of the players who buy from me actually look at the parent lists to see what their names are, if they are even named. They are usually exalted very quickly. I just had a thought that everyone seems to be focused on the offspring list because it shows up on the breeders' dragons, but what about the parent lists that show up on the offspring?
Nightwind wrote on 2018-09-26 10:47:38:

actually, no. However, I do sell mostly for fodder, so I doubt many of the players who buy from me actually look at the parent lists to see what their names are, if they are even named. They are usually exalted very quickly.

I just had a thought that everyone seems to be focused on the offspring list because it shows up on the breeders' dragons, but what about the parent lists that show up on the offspring?

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png

14318365.png
Some people do use Unnamed parents in lore too. For example, I bought all four parents of this breeding pair, nest rented to get the right flight's eyes (thanks to everyone who helped!), and then exalted the parents myself so the parents would always be associated with my account and would always be Unnamed. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=45175&tab=dragon&did=39893942][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/398940/39893942_350.png[/img][/url] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&tab=dragon&id=45175&did=37906617][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/379067/37906617_350.png[/img][/url] That means there's four dragons deliberately exalted without a name, which is precisely what I, as their owner, want and am using in lore. Someone could argue that those four Unnamed dragons negatively impact the breeders's dragons, but forcing names on them negatively impacts [i]me[/i] (and as the owner of those four Unnamed and the two offspring I kept, I do have the final say).
Some people do use Unnamed parents in lore too. For example, I bought all four parents of this breeding pair, nest rented to get the right flight's eyes (thanks to everyone who helped!), and then exalted the parents myself so the parents would always be associated with my account and would always be Unnamed.

39893942_350.png
37906617_350.png

That means there's four dragons deliberately exalted without a name, which is precisely what I, as their owner, want and am using in lore. Someone could argue that those four Unnamed dragons negatively impact the breeders's dragons, but forcing names on them negatively impacts me (and as the owner of those four Unnamed and the two offspring I kept, I do have the final say).
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
1 2 ... 66 67 68 69 70 ... 162 163