Back

Skins and Accents

Share and sell your skin creations with other players.
TOPIC | Gaoler Tertiary Genes PSD Template
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I'm disappointed to see that accents still have to stay within the original lines even though we have line breaking terts :( That limits the options to do cool things with those terts, which is a real bummer. Particularly since we won't have apparel for ancient breeds, why not just let the skin and accent artists have the extra freedom to draw out over the original lines?
I'm disappointed to see that accents still have to stay within the original lines even though we have line breaking terts :( That limits the options to do cool things with those terts, which is a real bummer. Particularly since we won't have apparel for ancient breeds, why not just let the skin and accent artists have the extra freedom to draw out over the original lines?
So we can't decorate these terts at all?
Nq0eoGi.png
[quote name="Mirrorstone" date="2019-06-10 17:51:27" ] I'm disappointed to see that accents still have to stay within the original lines even though we have line breaking terts :( That limits the options to do cool things with those terts, which is a real bummer. Particularly since we won't have apparel for ancient breeds, why not just let the skin and accent artists have the extra freedom to draw out over the original lines? [/quote] Don't quote me word for word, but iirc way back when there was a discussion about it I read and it was for legal/copyright reasons first, and gamebreaking second? By gamebreaking, I mean custom accents by players wouldn't work well with newer apparel and gene art and would cause visual complications
Mirrorstone wrote on 2019-06-10 17:51:27:

Don't quote me word for word, but iirc way back when there was a discussion about it I read and it was for legal/copyright reasons first, and gamebreaking second?

By gamebreaking, I mean custom accents by players wouldn't work well with newer apparel and gene art and would cause visual complications
@ChimeraHellden I don't think the final issue really matters with Ancients anymore tho - they cannot wear apparel - and if someone makes a skin that only works with Gaolers who have Gnarlhorns, then people who don't have Gaolers with Gnarlhorns don't have to buy it. People have made plenty of accents that work around terts (accents that go around gembond, accents that specifically make gembond shiny, accents that color in the spots on Jaguar, etc) - all of these don't work without that specific gene the accent was made for. The solution? Don't buy a skin/accent that doesn't work with your dragon. Y'know, like how things normally work. I think it'd be a good idea to force artists to stay within the lines [i]of the tert[/i], but it's discouraging to have to basically ignore the tert altogether - it really takes away from the fun of customization in the Ancient breeds since they can't wear clothes. However if this is a copyright issue, well then. We can't do much about that can we. [emoji=guardian tongue size=2]
@ChimeraHellden

I don't think the final issue really matters with Ancients anymore tho - they cannot wear apparel - and if someone makes a skin that only works with Gaolers who have Gnarlhorns, then people who don't have Gaolers with Gnarlhorns don't have to buy it.

People have made plenty of accents that work around terts (accents that go around gembond, accents that specifically make gembond shiny, accents that color in the spots on Jaguar, etc) - all of these don't work without that specific gene the accent was made for. The solution? Don't buy a skin/accent that doesn't work with your dragon.

Y'know, like how things normally work.

I think it'd be a good idea to force artists to stay within the lines of the tert, but it's discouraging to have to basically ignore the tert altogether - it really takes away from the fun of customization in the Ancient breeds since they can't wear clothes.

However if this is a copyright issue, well then. We can't do much about that can we.
Nq0eoGi.png
The main issue with being able to put accents on line-breaks is that I'm pretty sure it'd appear even if the dragon didn't HAVE the tert gene that it's going over. So a person could get shardflanks because of the skin/accent and actually give their dragon scorpion and rock double terts. And it'd be basically impossible to prevent that since accents aren't coded to check if the dragon beneath has certain genes or not. Of course, there are plenty of accents that mimic existing genes and are allowed, so I'm not sure why it's an issue, but I'd guess that's the reason it isn't allowed.
The main issue with being able to put accents on line-breaks is that I'm pretty sure it'd appear even if the dragon didn't HAVE the tert gene that it's going over. So a person could get shardflanks because of the skin/accent and actually give their dragon scorpion and rock double terts. And it'd be basically impossible to prevent that since accents aren't coded to check if the dragon beneath has certain genes or not. Of course, there are plenty of accents that mimic existing genes and are allowed, so I'm not sure why it's an issue, but I'd guess that's the reason it isn't allowed.
eSzGOae.pngCollector of Sickle Claws
[quote name="Cadash" date="2019-06-10 17:59:25" ] So we can't decorate these terts at all? [/quote] This is what I'm wondering, since the terts are all a big patch of blank color on a highly patterned dragon, and need a little extra flair to make them pop.
Cadash wrote on 2019-06-10 17:59:25:
This is what I'm wondering, since the terts are all a big patch of blank color on a highly patterned dragon, and need a little extra flair to make them pop.
KUs4mKR.png yaSdaPU.pngNJq1GMz.png
Feel free to call me Lil and please ping me if you need to get my attention.
So wait we're not allowed to go over the terts, even that parts that are INSIDE the lineart??? We can't add designs to scorpion or anything like that??? With gembond, we could; we could make gembond specific skins and accents if we wanted to (either excluding or including the gene)

Why is that any different here? I can see having to exclude the bits outside the original lineart but the bits INSIDE should be allowed to be painted over
So wait we're not allowed to go over the terts, even that parts that are INSIDE the lineart??? We can't add designs to scorpion or anything like that??? With gembond, we could; we could make gembond specific skins and accents if we wanted to (either excluding or including the gene)

Why is that any different here? I can see having to exclude the bits outside the original lineart but the bits INSIDE should be allowed to be painted over
Spr_B2W2_Emmet.png
Sym4.png
"There is no terminal called End in your life!"
Sym6.png Blue // they/he Sym5.png

Sym5.png Goals and Link DirectorySym6.png
Sym3.png
Spr_B2W2_Ingo.png
@Cadash Oh, sorry, I was speaking on making artwork that crossed over the silhouette, not over the terts. I would love to be able to work with the tert genes, personally [emoji=gaoler happy size=2] The copyright thing was also to crossing outside the lines, or modifying lines and/or shadows of the silhouette
@Cadash

Oh, sorry, I was speaking on making artwork that crossed over the silhouette, not over the terts. I would love to be able to work with the tert genes, personally

The copyright thing was also to crossing outside the lines, or modifying lines and/or shadows of the silhouette
helpful, thank you! [emoji=gaoler love size=2]
helpful, thank you!
BFEMrcM.png
@ImpossibleJedi4 I think it's the same as spines and firefly (and gembond), in that it will go over the tert, but not outside the original silhouette. Someone pointed this out to me with firefly recently, as I was wondering a similar thing. While it may be a shame we can't design on top of silhouette-breaking terts, I can understand why it would be really difficult for the devs to implement [quote name="Xotik" date="2019-06-08 13:16:29" ] @ nohsara [img]https://i.gyazo.com/177e2768569842e4c754d1e1749622a3.png[/img] On her tail, nose (hard to see with the halo, sorry, only changed the skin for this example), can be seen a firefly, any that go outside of the lineart are not covered by the skins/accents and are therefore, visible. [/quote]
@ImpossibleJedi4
I think it's the same as spines and firefly (and gembond), in that it will go over the tert, but not outside the original silhouette. Someone pointed this out to me with firefly recently, as I was wondering a similar thing.

While it may be a shame we can't design on top of silhouette-breaking terts, I can understand why it would be really difficult for the devs to implement
Xotik wrote on 2019-06-08 13:16:29:
@ nohsara
177e2768569842e4c754d1e1749622a3.png
On her tail, nose (hard to see with the halo, sorry, only changed the skin for this example), can be seen a firefly, any that go outside of the lineart are not covered by the skins/accents and are therefore, visible.
BFEMrcM.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8