Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | A Brief Guide to Roleplay Etiquette
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
Bumping so I wont lose it~!
Bumping so I wont lose it~!
sgriffin-3988-7_44_47_7_5_1.png
Pklc9an.png
Clockwork
08atrGc.pngJ7D1quC.png
FXwV0CB.pngFObX7rS.pngSaronai's Free Star Lighting Raffle. Over 3kg in prizes. Ends February 1st. Click to learn more!
Eclipse
LCqISMP.pngDXTcInl.png
11efmKl.pngxjB7OSe.png
CnMSNyK.pngYMPbu9R.png
RFRWPUM.png
wVdpf6V.png

IBK-63.png
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Former First Column Spacer ^^^^^^^^^
hopefully i can start role playing soon on this site but, i have a few questions

1. Can you still have a leader in a group?

2. how would the fighting system work?

and lastly...

3. is your weaknesses based of of what you are weak in the coliseum?
"like nature is powerful over earth"
please help me with these so i can start please :P
hopefully i can start role playing soon on this site but, i have a few questions

1. Can you still have a leader in a group?

2. how would the fighting system work?

and lastly...

3. is your weaknesses based of of what you are weak in the coliseum?
"like nature is powerful over earth"
please help me with these so i can start please :P
cute020.gif
@Losteventide How do you make a image?
@Losteventide How do you make a image?
@LostEventide Powerplaying? What?
@LostEventide Powerplaying? What?
Wow, it's been a while since I reviewed this. I may have to update this considering I wrote this up ages ago and there's been some great suggestions plus I've learned new things through roleplaying myself.

@Joshdaawsome
Actually making an image you can do it in any program like MS Paint (really good for pixel art or spriting) or Photoshop/Gimp/whatever image program of choice and then you can just upload it to a site like Tinypic or Imgur. Actually posting it on the forums, you take the link from Tinypic or your host of choice and place it between image tags like so: [img*]URL[/img*] just without the *.

Powerplaying is a commonly used term that refers to one individual saying someone else's character did something/something happened to another individual's character without the other individual's permission. So, say, I said my character put your character into a headlock. Basically, it's considered common courtesy to give another person's character a chance to react, so a better way of approaching it would be to say your character attempted to put another character in a headlock, but whether or not the headlock was successful would be dependent on the other person. Likewise, if they attempted to attack your character the success would more-or-less be up to you.

The level of "powerplaying" (it may be referred to by different names in different groups as well) that is permitted is highly variable depending on who you are roleplaying with. What I explained tends to be considered the polite manner to approach it unless told otherwise, but some groups may be much more free-for-all where players are given some control over what happens to other people's characters in those situations (barring extreme, lasting effects like death or major injury) and still other groups may leave the success of actions up to something like a random generator or dice rolls more akin to Dungeons & Dragons style.
Wow, it's been a while since I reviewed this. I may have to update this considering I wrote this up ages ago and there's been some great suggestions plus I've learned new things through roleplaying myself.

@Joshdaawsome
Actually making an image you can do it in any program like MS Paint (really good for pixel art or spriting) or Photoshop/Gimp/whatever image program of choice and then you can just upload it to a site like Tinypic or Imgur. Actually posting it on the forums, you take the link from Tinypic or your host of choice and place it between image tags like so: [img*]URL[/img*] just without the *.

Powerplaying is a commonly used term that refers to one individual saying someone else's character did something/something happened to another individual's character without the other individual's permission. So, say, I said my character put your character into a headlock. Basically, it's considered common courtesy to give another person's character a chance to react, so a better way of approaching it would be to say your character attempted to put another character in a headlock, but whether or not the headlock was successful would be dependent on the other person. Likewise, if they attempted to attack your character the success would more-or-less be up to you.

The level of "powerplaying" (it may be referred to by different names in different groups as well) that is permitted is highly variable depending on who you are roleplaying with. What I explained tends to be considered the polite manner to approach it unless told otherwise, but some groups may be much more free-for-all where players are given some control over what happens to other people's characters in those situations (barring extreme, lasting effects like death or major injury) and still other groups may leave the success of actions up to something like a random generator or dice rolls more akin to Dungeons & Dragons style.
tumblr_n69vu8VRkE1t0ibwro9_250.gif
@LostEventide So... *takes huge gasp of air* You have to let the players have a few seconds to
react to the move that your character does for example: At the coliseum it was a showdown between Josh VS Jareth. Josh was about to release her special move "Hovermother frenzy" But it took a long time for her to charge so Jareth had a few seconds to make a option.
*crosses eyes* Do what?
Is that correct?
*huffs and puffs*
Spriting... What is spriting...? *wheezes*
(I'm a horrible drawer...)
@LostEventide So... *takes huge gasp of air* You have to let the players have a few seconds to
react to the move that your character does for example: At the coliseum it was a showdown between Josh VS Jareth. Josh was about to release her special move "Hovermother frenzy" But it took a long time for her to charge so Jareth had a few seconds to make a option.
*crosses eyes* Do what?
Is that correct?
*huffs and puffs*
Spriting... What is spriting...? *wheezes*
(I'm a horrible drawer...)
@LostEventide *takes breath again* So Josh is done charging and locks on Jareth. And then she charges but accidentally slips on something banging into the wall.

Like that?
@LostEventide *takes breath again* So Josh is done charging and locks on Jareth. And then she charges but accidentally slips on something banging into the wall.

Like that?
@LostEventide ...Img and url my dragon ids...?
@LostEventide ...Img and url my dragon ids...?
@Joshdaawsome
More or less. Basically, if Josh were to attack Jareth you would make it clear what your character wanted to do (in this case, charge her special move in order to fire it at Jareth) and then allow your partner roleplayer to react. So I'd either say Jareth was hit by the attack and explain the consequences of him being hit (his arm was injured, for instance) or explain how the attack missed because his small size deftly allowed him to loop out of the way. Your first post was really all you had to do because you allowed an opening for your partner to respond. It doesn't even have to be a long opening. You could have lunged at Jareth right away just as long as you didn't directly specify the attack hit without me having a chance to respond and indicate whether or not Jareth dodged. So your second post wasn't needed unless it was after I posted saying it missed, and then you posted in response explaining, perhaps, Josh's aim was off because she had slipped and banged into a wall.

Obviously, it's considered good sportsmanship to not constantly dodge attacks and such in fight scenes because it doesn't make it particularly fun (and it's actually really enjoyable to lose sometimes because it creates character development!) Hopefully I clarified it a bit more?

----

Spriting is more-or-less pixel art on a smaller scale. Basically, the Pokemon images and such you see in the hand-held games would be considered "sprites" so when people refer to spriting it normally indicates they are making small pixel-art images. It can also be used inter-changeably with pixel art in general depending on who you are talking to.

If you aren't looking to upload your own image, you can just click the "generate code" button on your dragons' profile pages and that'll give you a linked image code for your dragon using their ID and such you can just copy and paste into a forum post. It's already correctly formatted for you.
@Joshdaawsome
More or less. Basically, if Josh were to attack Jareth you would make it clear what your character wanted to do (in this case, charge her special move in order to fire it at Jareth) and then allow your partner roleplayer to react. So I'd either say Jareth was hit by the attack and explain the consequences of him being hit (his arm was injured, for instance) or explain how the attack missed because his small size deftly allowed him to loop out of the way. Your first post was really all you had to do because you allowed an opening for your partner to respond. It doesn't even have to be a long opening. You could have lunged at Jareth right away just as long as you didn't directly specify the attack hit without me having a chance to respond and indicate whether or not Jareth dodged. So your second post wasn't needed unless it was after I posted saying it missed, and then you posted in response explaining, perhaps, Josh's aim was off because she had slipped and banged into a wall.

Obviously, it's considered good sportsmanship to not constantly dodge attacks and such in fight scenes because it doesn't make it particularly fun (and it's actually really enjoyable to lose sometimes because it creates character development!) Hopefully I clarified it a bit more?

----

Spriting is more-or-less pixel art on a smaller scale. Basically, the Pokemon images and such you see in the hand-held games would be considered "sprites" so when people refer to spriting it normally indicates they are making small pixel-art images. It can also be used inter-changeably with pixel art in general depending on who you are talking to.

If you aren't looking to upload your own image, you can just click the "generate code" button on your dragons' profile pages and that'll give you a linked image code for your dragon using their ID and such you can just copy and paste into a forum post. It's already correctly formatted for you.
tumblr_n69vu8VRkE1t0ibwro9_250.gif
@LostEventide I don't get it... Can you give me a example?
@LostEventide I don't get it... Can you give me a example?
1 2 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12