Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | A Brief Guide to Roleplay Etiquette
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
Oh I'm definitely saving this for later. This is quite a nice guide.
Oh I'm definitely saving this for later. This is quite a nice guide.
I have no clue what roleplaying was but... seems cool its a shame that I suck at the da english xD
I have no clue what roleplaying was but... seems cool its a shame that I suck at the da english xD
m37z8.gif
@LostEventide
Your guide is really great and everything, but I did find one major problem. Your guide labels power-playing and god-modding as mainly just one thing. Yes, they do refer to controlling other people's characters (although that's usually called godmodding, in my experience), but you forgot the part that power-playing generally covers, which is having a nearly invincible character, sometimes related or not related to the Mary Sue/Gary Stu problem.
For example: Dragon 1 slashes at Dragon 2. Dragon 2 miraculously dodges without taking any damage and launches an unavoidable attack. Dragon 1 gets hit, and uses a completely unavoidable attack that explodes the entire area for fifty miles around. Dragon 2 is un-phased.
While god-modding and power-playing often go together, you did miss the over-powered part.
By the way, I would like to recommend the guides by Miss Luna Rose, an extremely nice person on Deviant-Art, who does a wonderful job with writing guides, including one I really like about Mary Sues/Gary Stus.
http://misslunarose.deviantart.com/art/Help-I-have-a-Mary-Sue-412301021
Feel free to look at them and potentially include them. =)
@LostEventide
Your guide is really great and everything, but I did find one major problem. Your guide labels power-playing and god-modding as mainly just one thing. Yes, they do refer to controlling other people's characters (although that's usually called godmodding, in my experience), but you forgot the part that power-playing generally covers, which is having a nearly invincible character, sometimes related or not related to the Mary Sue/Gary Stu problem.
For example: Dragon 1 slashes at Dragon 2. Dragon 2 miraculously dodges without taking any damage and launches an unavoidable attack. Dragon 1 gets hit, and uses a completely unavoidable attack that explodes the entire area for fifty miles around. Dragon 2 is un-phased.
While god-modding and power-playing often go together, you did miss the over-powered part.
By the way, I would like to recommend the guides by Miss Luna Rose, an extremely nice person on Deviant-Art, who does a wonderful job with writing guides, including one I really like about Mary Sues/Gary Stus.
http://misslunarose.deviantart.com/art/Help-I-have-a-Mary-Sue-412301021
Feel free to look at them and potentially include them. =)
girl_icon_by_orgetzu-d8qm7bc.pngping_icon_by_orgetzu-d9z0s1w.pnghatchery_icon_by_orgetzu-d9z17md.pngart_icon_by_orgetzu-d9z1fu6.pnggen_1_sale_icon___orange_by_orgetzu-d9zwj8j.png
bubble_icon_by_orgetzu-d9z1pvh.png
unicorn_icon_by_orgetzu-d9z1xrd.pnghouse_icon_z_by_orgetzu-d9z2r3i.pngwinter_icon_by_orgetzu-d9z2szz.pngfrog_icon_by_orgetzu-d9zwkt5.pngpixel_potatoes_by_orgetzu-d9z0pkl.gif Some of these pixels go places....
@phantomfyre
I don't see why not. I think that sounds like it could be fun. I would recommend figuring out any adoptable rules and perhaps even getting a mod to make sure it's alright.
@Tigeradragoness
As far as I know. Everything I've read implies so, but I think it depends on who you're RPing with. Some people might want dragon only, or they might want whatever they think seems like fun.
@earthernKnight
As far as I know, you can have whatever you want. Only your RP partner dictates the rules. I've seen some people with stuff like Pokemon in their RPs. Certain people might be picky about what you're allowed to do, so always ask your RP buddies what's okay or not okay.
@fructose
Sure. That sounds like it could end up as a funny RP. Go crazy with ideas.
@Karkitten
From what I've seen, using your dragons as images is an extremely popular thing to do on FlightRising. I don't know if you're allowed to say, use the image on Deviant Art or something, though.
@The13Inquisitor
I think that would be a great idea, if you haven't already done it by now. Being new to the site, I sometimes still get confused about things like AH (Auction House) and even FR (Flight Rising.) A quick and easy reference guide to abbreviations would definitely be helpful for some people. =)

Yes, I realize some of you asked a long time ago, but I was here and decided why not answer some questions. =)
@phantomfyre
I don't see why not. I think that sounds like it could be fun. I would recommend figuring out any adoptable rules and perhaps even getting a mod to make sure it's alright.
@Tigeradragoness
As far as I know. Everything I've read implies so, but I think it depends on who you're RPing with. Some people might want dragon only, or they might want whatever they think seems like fun.
@earthernKnight
As far as I know, you can have whatever you want. Only your RP partner dictates the rules. I've seen some people with stuff like Pokemon in their RPs. Certain people might be picky about what you're allowed to do, so always ask your RP buddies what's okay or not okay.
@fructose
Sure. That sounds like it could end up as a funny RP. Go crazy with ideas.
@Karkitten
From what I've seen, using your dragons as images is an extremely popular thing to do on FlightRising. I don't know if you're allowed to say, use the image on Deviant Art or something, though.
@The13Inquisitor
I think that would be a great idea, if you haven't already done it by now. Being new to the site, I sometimes still get confused about things like AH (Auction House) and even FR (Flight Rising.) A quick and easy reference guide to abbreviations would definitely be helpful for some people. =)

Yes, I realize some of you asked a long time ago, but I was here and decided why not answer some questions. =)
girl_icon_by_orgetzu-d8qm7bc.pngping_icon_by_orgetzu-d9z0s1w.pnghatchery_icon_by_orgetzu-d9z17md.pngart_icon_by_orgetzu-d9z1fu6.pnggen_1_sale_icon___orange_by_orgetzu-d9zwj8j.png
bubble_icon_by_orgetzu-d9z1pvh.png
unicorn_icon_by_orgetzu-d9z1xrd.pnghouse_icon_z_by_orgetzu-d9z2r3i.pngwinter_icon_by_orgetzu-d9z2szz.pngfrog_icon_by_orgetzu-d9zwkt5.pngpixel_potatoes_by_orgetzu-d9z0pkl.gif Some of these pixels go places....
so about the formatting of the rps...is there any specific rp format with this website?..

Me: can they be like this? *with the action between stars* -or lines-

Fr3ak pointed to the other rp option, "or are they in more of a story based format?"
so about the formatting of the rps...is there any specific rp format with this website?..

Me: can they be like this? *with the action between stars* -or lines-

Fr3ak pointed to the other rp option, "or are they in more of a story based format?"
Im three hours ahead of FR time.
plagueanimsm_by_javen-d6bldqo.gifshadowanim_by_javen-d6bl019.gifarcaneanimsm_by_javen-d6bldq7.gif
Thank you for sharing this, kind friend.
Thank you for sharing this, kind friend.
bumping so I dont loose this :U
bumping so I dont loose this :U
×DeviantArt ×
Lair cleanout!
screenshot_2small_by_daigeijutsu-d9by7em.png
I first learned of RP elsewhere, and really, not all that long ago. I thought it sounded like a lot of fun and a wonderful creative outlet, but it really intimidated me and I could find no clear explanations as to the "mechanics" of it.

Also, where I learned of RP, the participants seemed very closed to anyone not already in their little group, although it was posted as open to anyone. I just did not feel welcome AT ALL. The feeling I get from what I have read and looked over here is just the opposite: FR members all seem quite open and friendly-not just in the RP area, but everywhere I've checked things out.

Reading over this thread explained a lot for me and really made me possibly want to try. I love FR--have always loved dragons and fairies and fantasy stories--have even imagined a few myself, but never really went anywhere with them. RP seems like it may fit my personality and give me that "creative fix" I crave. I have never been able to draw characters or scenes with my hands, but have loved to try to "draw" them with words.

Anyway, so glad that I saw this thread and took the time to read it---thank you for posting it!!
I first learned of RP elsewhere, and really, not all that long ago. I thought it sounded like a lot of fun and a wonderful creative outlet, but it really intimidated me and I could find no clear explanations as to the "mechanics" of it.

Also, where I learned of RP, the participants seemed very closed to anyone not already in their little group, although it was posted as open to anyone. I just did not feel welcome AT ALL. The feeling I get from what I have read and looked over here is just the opposite: FR members all seem quite open and friendly-not just in the RP area, but everywhere I've checked things out.

Reading over this thread explained a lot for me and really made me possibly want to try. I love FR--have always loved dragons and fairies and fantasy stories--have even imagined a few myself, but never really went anywhere with them. RP seems like it may fit my personality and give me that "creative fix" I crave. I have never been able to draw characters or scenes with my hands, but have loved to try to "draw" them with words.

Anyway, so glad that I saw this thread and took the time to read it---thank you for posting it!!
Thanks for the guide :)
Thanks for the guide :)
Please check out my blog! New posts coming out on Fridays :)
http://nerdsintheneighborhood.weebly.com
thanks so much for this, i have always being scared of roleplaying, but this makes me feel a bit better
thanks so much for this, i have always being scared of roleplaying, but this makes me feel a bit better
Totally not a dragon hoarder
Also selling some cool dragons
here
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12