Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | A Brief Guide to Roleplay Etiquette
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
Reposting since the rollback ate my previous post. thank goodness I saved it.

A nice well rounded guide, but the portion about mary sues and gary stus is misleading [though I know not intentionally].

This might be strange to hear about, but there are some things I've found over the years. This isn't an attack on anything nor directed at anyone, and I know this can be a touchy subject people feel very strongly about. But since this seems to be the enforced guide in the forum, I imagine that means its open to discussion by others unless told otherwise. Hear me out, I don't mean to offend anyone.

1. There is no such thing as a mary sue/gary stu.

2. Mary Sue/Gary Stu is a slur with no meaning beyond acting as a derogatory.

3. What people really mean is that they don't want god modders, power players, etc when using this term in a rule set. But these other topics were already covered, and the extension is superfluous.

So why on earth did I say these things? Here's a rough explanation:

Some of the first things I ask when these things come up is 'Do you know the history of 'Mary Sue'?' Do you know what sort of impact it had historically? Do you know what the meaning is from then, to now?

This one label actually has some interesting, and very unfortunate history. I will leave it up to everyone to decide if they wish to pursue it, or you can ask and I can talk more in depth about it.

The gist of it is this: it was created in 1973 by a woman to make fun of star trek fan fiction authors, who often wrote stories about female protagonists whom either fell for, or had crew fall for them, was often exceptionally well at her job at a young age, and was well beloved by said crew.

It was only a few paragraphs long but created a storm. Suddenly it wasn't ok to make any kind of female protagonist because they would be called sues. Litmus tests cropped up to 'test' to see if your character was a sue/stu or not. Women authors were taken even less seriously. It was a disaster that I don't think the original creator has shown any regret for, nor has done anything about it.

Over time this definition was warped to basically mean 'any character that irritates us, that we don't like for whatever reason we want, or just to be cruel'. It lost its original meaning and became a meaningless derogatory to act as an insult to slap onto someone's work. Not only that, its a sexist one. Gary stu came later, but not only is it more rarely pointed out, but is has just as little ground as mary sue anyway.

In RP communities, slapping the 'mary sue/gary stu' label is a powerful and negative act, and can destroy someone's will for a character. Who has any right to do that? There is no gain, no goal. You teach someone nothing when using this slur. Because of it, you've had the rise of the 'anti-sues' or anti-stus', the response to the original slur because authors were so afraid of that label, they tried to make there characters as nondescript, average, and plain to the point they blend into a grey background. And now even they get just as much spite for having 'terrible characters' when the whole reason it happened was people were calling other peoples characters terrible and unworthy of existance. This was a no win situation, no one developed or grew as authors or writers, and poisoned the idea of what a good character should be.

So, i've only just touched the tip of the iceberg, but here is the gist. Ok, so now what? What do we do about it?

The major flaw in the sue/stu lable is the fact that characterization is a subjective process. Its an art form, its an expression. And most importantly, its a thing that whose normalcy is based on the world they originate.

This is most easily imagined when you have two characters that cross paths from two different worlds, say they are at some sort of nexus.

One is a space outlaw, who has an awesome ship that can blow up planets. They are quite attractive to the other gender.

The other is a malicious demi-god whom eats technology and can mind control other beings.

What is the problem here? You can call these both power players, god modders, and sues. But what if these behaviors are average and 'normal' in the universe they come from? You don't know that. When someone brings a character to a nexus setting, they may bring them /as is/ and get a rude surprise when they come into contact with characters that are significantly more powerful or weaker then theirs is.

This also applies to AU's, characters in fan worlds, and all the like. A character is subjective, we can do /what the heck we want/ with it and no one has a right to stop you. Its an art form, and its a form of expression. It does not matter of its an author insert, or based on your favorite Disney villain.

Characters with dead parents, exceptional talents, or are 'the chosen one' are not automatically bad characters like one would think. What did I just mention that sounds familiar? Harry Potter is always my favorite example, because not only does he fit all the labels, he is still a well written, fascinating character in a well written, fascinating world. these aspects aren't bad things, and we all have to learn how to use them well. We didn't all start with all the knowledge we have now about characterization. And the best way to learn how to do it is by going out there and writing stories or RP. What right does anyone have to essentially kick someone to the curb just for trying to learn? What are you teaching by essentially telling someone 'you suck, get out'. That's /bullying/.

When you approach something like say, the FR world [or any other established rp group]. You do have an obligation to have knowledge of the world you are playing in if you want a fair shot at being able to play with others. This is what people try to communicate when they say 'no sues, no stus'. But not only is this meaningless, this does not explain what /is/ ok. Because its far more complicated then that, and little nuisances wont always be obvious to others. Sometimes you have to spell it out.

1. Establish the norms of the world

2. Establish acceptable deviation

3. Establish unacceptable characteristics

These are fairly self explanatory. Everyone reading the lore is great, but you cant make people read the lore. The idea of what a dragon should be is so diverse that it may be useful to make a brief list of what considered acceptable in the FR lore. You can't make people read, but you can provide for those who would if they had an easy place to find it.

With that said, with something like FR where individuals have control of what happens in their threads [as long as they apply to site rules]- all of this kind of goes out the window-

-and onto the shoulders of the thread starter. It is a thread starters job to clearly dictate what they find to be acceptable and not acceptable. They can decide if its ok to play one of the dragon deities, or all of them- or to not allow any sort of deity relations. They have no right to whine, complain, or talk bad about someone when they didn't set the rules. And their preferences have NO bearing outside their own thread.

Someone can always make suggestions about a character to perhaps offer ideas for it in the FR/world your playing in. But 1. Don't offer unless asked. 2. Don't expect or get offended if that person doesn't take said advice.

When all is said and done, people have different preferences for what they want to rp, who with, and the rules it entails. The mary sue/gary stu label is meaningless because it is a subjective term. What one person calls a sue, another would not- all for different reasons. It is up to individuals to take responsibility for what they want to rp with when making a thread, write it out clearly- and if they so wish- police it within that thread.

Its a pointless and useless endeavor to police it across the whole forum with mods when there is such a diverse set of interests, tolerance, and compatibility with others. You cannot make everyone happy. But you can sure as heck keep around and RP with the people that share your vibe. A good attitude rather then an elitist mood can make all the difference in both how you affect others and whether or not others want to be around you.

Lets not spread around a derogatory subjective label, instead lets explore RP, the FR universe, or whatever universe you wish to play in- in an open and friendly way.

Edit: Fixed the formatting, at some point all the apostrophes got upset and turned into jibberish!
Reposting since the rollback ate my previous post. thank goodness I saved it.

A nice well rounded guide, but the portion about mary sues and gary stus is misleading [though I know not intentionally].

This might be strange to hear about, but there are some things I've found over the years. This isn't an attack on anything nor directed at anyone, and I know this can be a touchy subject people feel very strongly about. But since this seems to be the enforced guide in the forum, I imagine that means its open to discussion by others unless told otherwise. Hear me out, I don't mean to offend anyone.

1. There is no such thing as a mary sue/gary stu.

2. Mary Sue/Gary Stu is a slur with no meaning beyond acting as a derogatory.

3. What people really mean is that they don't want god modders, power players, etc when using this term in a rule set. But these other topics were already covered, and the extension is superfluous.

So why on earth did I say these things? Here's a rough explanation:

Some of the first things I ask when these things come up is 'Do you know the history of 'Mary Sue'?' Do you know what sort of impact it had historically? Do you know what the meaning is from then, to now?

This one label actually has some interesting, and very unfortunate history. I will leave it up to everyone to decide if they wish to pursue it, or you can ask and I can talk more in depth about it.

The gist of it is this: it was created in 1973 by a woman to make fun of star trek fan fiction authors, who often wrote stories about female protagonists whom either fell for, or had crew fall for them, was often exceptionally well at her job at a young age, and was well beloved by said crew.

It was only a few paragraphs long but created a storm. Suddenly it wasn't ok to make any kind of female protagonist because they would be called sues. Litmus tests cropped up to 'test' to see if your character was a sue/stu or not. Women authors were taken even less seriously. It was a disaster that I don't think the original creator has shown any regret for, nor has done anything about it.

Over time this definition was warped to basically mean 'any character that irritates us, that we don't like for whatever reason we want, or just to be cruel'. It lost its original meaning and became a meaningless derogatory to act as an insult to slap onto someone's work. Not only that, its a sexist one. Gary stu came later, but not only is it more rarely pointed out, but is has just as little ground as mary sue anyway.

In RP communities, slapping the 'mary sue/gary stu' label is a powerful and negative act, and can destroy someone's will for a character. Who has any right to do that? There is no gain, no goal. You teach someone nothing when using this slur. Because of it, you've had the rise of the 'anti-sues' or anti-stus', the response to the original slur because authors were so afraid of that label, they tried to make there characters as nondescript, average, and plain to the point they blend into a grey background. And now even they get just as much spite for having 'terrible characters' when the whole reason it happened was people were calling other peoples characters terrible and unworthy of existance. This was a no win situation, no one developed or grew as authors or writers, and poisoned the idea of what a good character should be.

So, i've only just touched the tip of the iceberg, but here is the gist. Ok, so now what? What do we do about it?

The major flaw in the sue/stu lable is the fact that characterization is a subjective process. Its an art form, its an expression. And most importantly, its a thing that whose normalcy is based on the world they originate.

This is most easily imagined when you have two characters that cross paths from two different worlds, say they are at some sort of nexus.

One is a space outlaw, who has an awesome ship that can blow up planets. They are quite attractive to the other gender.

The other is a malicious demi-god whom eats technology and can mind control other beings.

What is the problem here? You can call these both power players, god modders, and sues. But what if these behaviors are average and 'normal' in the universe they come from? You don't know that. When someone brings a character to a nexus setting, they may bring them /as is/ and get a rude surprise when they come into contact with characters that are significantly more powerful or weaker then theirs is.

This also applies to AU's, characters in fan worlds, and all the like. A character is subjective, we can do /what the heck we want/ with it and no one has a right to stop you. Its an art form, and its a form of expression. It does not matter of its an author insert, or based on your favorite Disney villain.

Characters with dead parents, exceptional talents, or are 'the chosen one' are not automatically bad characters like one would think. What did I just mention that sounds familiar? Harry Potter is always my favorite example, because not only does he fit all the labels, he is still a well written, fascinating character in a well written, fascinating world. these aspects aren't bad things, and we all have to learn how to use them well. We didn't all start with all the knowledge we have now about characterization. And the best way to learn how to do it is by going out there and writing stories or RP. What right does anyone have to essentially kick someone to the curb just for trying to learn? What are you teaching by essentially telling someone 'you suck, get out'. That's /bullying/.

When you approach something like say, the FR world [or any other established rp group]. You do have an obligation to have knowledge of the world you are playing in if you want a fair shot at being able to play with others. This is what people try to communicate when they say 'no sues, no stus'. But not only is this meaningless, this does not explain what /is/ ok. Because its far more complicated then that, and little nuisances wont always be obvious to others. Sometimes you have to spell it out.

1. Establish the norms of the world

2. Establish acceptable deviation

3. Establish unacceptable characteristics

These are fairly self explanatory. Everyone reading the lore is great, but you cant make people read the lore. The idea of what a dragon should be is so diverse that it may be useful to make a brief list of what considered acceptable in the FR lore. You can't make people read, but you can provide for those who would if they had an easy place to find it.

With that said, with something like FR where individuals have control of what happens in their threads [as long as they apply to site rules]- all of this kind of goes out the window-

-and onto the shoulders of the thread starter. It is a thread starters job to clearly dictate what they find to be acceptable and not acceptable. They can decide if its ok to play one of the dragon deities, or all of them- or to not allow any sort of deity relations. They have no right to whine, complain, or talk bad about someone when they didn't set the rules. And their preferences have NO bearing outside their own thread.

Someone can always make suggestions about a character to perhaps offer ideas for it in the FR/world your playing in. But 1. Don't offer unless asked. 2. Don't expect or get offended if that person doesn't take said advice.

When all is said and done, people have different preferences for what they want to rp, who with, and the rules it entails. The mary sue/gary stu label is meaningless because it is a subjective term. What one person calls a sue, another would not- all for different reasons. It is up to individuals to take responsibility for what they want to rp with when making a thread, write it out clearly- and if they so wish- police it within that thread.

Its a pointless and useless endeavor to police it across the whole forum with mods when there is such a diverse set of interests, tolerance, and compatibility with others. You cannot make everyone happy. But you can sure as heck keep around and RP with the people that share your vibe. A good attitude rather then an elitist mood can make all the difference in both how you affect others and whether or not others want to be around you.

Lets not spread around a derogatory subjective label, instead lets explore RP, the FR universe, or whatever universe you wish to play in- in an open and friendly way.

Edit: Fixed the formatting, at some point all the apostrophes got upset and turned into jibberish!
tumblr_nq0dlcmuyk1svbq5wo1_540.png
@Autopilot Thank you! I know your post was months ago, but I both learned where Mary Sue actually came from and you make a very valid point which I support. No one really makes a "Mary Sue", they make characters, which, as you said, is an art, and like any art, it takes time and practice. Yes, practice. I could tell a brand new roleplayer what kind of characters I've found work and don't work as well in certain roleplay settings and why, but learning for yourself will still give you a better comprehension of just what exactly roleplaying is. It's a team game where the goal is to have fun, and I don't care if your character passed the Mary Sue Litmus test or not-- if we have fun roleplaying together then the goal is met.

Now, with that being said, I also wanted to mention in this thread some tips that my drama teacher told us about improv that I think might help new RPers. Because what is roleplaying but the spontaneous actions and reactions between two characters? Sounds a lot like improv to me, which might be why so many of these tips she gave us fit so well with RPing.

1) Contribute

This is the golden rule in my opinion, and the basis for all the rest of the rules. When you write a response to a post, the goal should be to a) move the story forward, and b) give your partner something to react to. Now obviously every story moves at its own pace. I've had threads that spanned pages and all the characters did was talk, but that's okay because it still moved forward. We talked about one thing, which led to another, then we talked about that, and so on. If all your post says is: "Snowstripe nodded in agreement," the problem lies in the fact that now it's your partner's job to move the plot forward with nothing to go off of, which can become exhausting very quickly. Of course, there's always exceptions based on the exact situation, but in general, every action should have a reaction; which leads me to my next point.

2) Don't block

Let's say I have my character mention how sunny it is, but then you say "No it's not, it's the worst thunderstorm in history". With this, the first statement is essentially ignored and rendered invalid. This not only prevents the story from moving forward, but keeps the RPers from interacting properly. Taking the reins might seem tempting at times, but always remember to respect other roleplayers and what they've posted. RPing is all about cooperation, and that's not to say that a story can't be gently steered a certain direction-- just try to refrain from completely blocking out the other person, otherwise you might as well just write a story yourself. There's always exceptions though; such as roleplaying an already-determined scenario that you want to get back on track.

3) Develop a scene

It's a relatively lax conversation in the woods, when suddenly a ninja steals my family heirloom and I must give chase with my superpowered speed! Well, the first thing my partner's probably going to say is "huh?". Staying in the now is important because it lets a scene develop naturally and at it's own pace. Though obviously if something like ninjas was part of a pre-determined plot and everyone was aware of it then it's an exception.

4) There are always exceptions!

This one wasn't an improv tip, but it's a roleplaying tip. Like Autopilot said before me, there's no such thing as cold, hard rules to roleplaying or character creation. It's an art, and with experience comes the ability to make certain judgement calls. Anything can go so long as everyone is happy and having fun. Your only job is to be sure that the roleplaying is fair to others, just like any other game. So go out there and be fearless. Be daring and creative while encouraging others to do the same with you. Roleplaying is a unique and special storytelling media because of the fact that it involves more than one person in the telling of the story. Take advantage of that wonderful fact and take joy in creating something together.

For all my listing and lecturing, the only true way to learn the in's and out's of roleplaying is to roleplay for yourself! I've been roleplaying for eight years now, and it has taken me all eight years to learn what I know now. I'm still learning, and I will always be learning, and if I tried putting everything I learned into words then I would fill a book that no one would read. So to all roleplayers out there, new and old, I hope these tips helped you out-- and sincerely hope you break them all.
@Autopilot Thank you! I know your post was months ago, but I both learned where Mary Sue actually came from and you make a very valid point which I support. No one really makes a "Mary Sue", they make characters, which, as you said, is an art, and like any art, it takes time and practice. Yes, practice. I could tell a brand new roleplayer what kind of characters I've found work and don't work as well in certain roleplay settings and why, but learning for yourself will still give you a better comprehension of just what exactly roleplaying is. It's a team game where the goal is to have fun, and I don't care if your character passed the Mary Sue Litmus test or not-- if we have fun roleplaying together then the goal is met.

Now, with that being said, I also wanted to mention in this thread some tips that my drama teacher told us about improv that I think might help new RPers. Because what is roleplaying but the spontaneous actions and reactions between two characters? Sounds a lot like improv to me, which might be why so many of these tips she gave us fit so well with RPing.

1) Contribute

This is the golden rule in my opinion, and the basis for all the rest of the rules. When you write a response to a post, the goal should be to a) move the story forward, and b) give your partner something to react to. Now obviously every story moves at its own pace. I've had threads that spanned pages and all the characters did was talk, but that's okay because it still moved forward. We talked about one thing, which led to another, then we talked about that, and so on. If all your post says is: "Snowstripe nodded in agreement," the problem lies in the fact that now it's your partner's job to move the plot forward with nothing to go off of, which can become exhausting very quickly. Of course, there's always exceptions based on the exact situation, but in general, every action should have a reaction; which leads me to my next point.

2) Don't block

Let's say I have my character mention how sunny it is, but then you say "No it's not, it's the worst thunderstorm in history". With this, the first statement is essentially ignored and rendered invalid. This not only prevents the story from moving forward, but keeps the RPers from interacting properly. Taking the reins might seem tempting at times, but always remember to respect other roleplayers and what they've posted. RPing is all about cooperation, and that's not to say that a story can't be gently steered a certain direction-- just try to refrain from completely blocking out the other person, otherwise you might as well just write a story yourself. There's always exceptions though; such as roleplaying an already-determined scenario that you want to get back on track.

3) Develop a scene

It's a relatively lax conversation in the woods, when suddenly a ninja steals my family heirloom and I must give chase with my superpowered speed! Well, the first thing my partner's probably going to say is "huh?". Staying in the now is important because it lets a scene develop naturally and at it's own pace. Though obviously if something like ninjas was part of a pre-determined plot and everyone was aware of it then it's an exception.

4) There are always exceptions!

This one wasn't an improv tip, but it's a roleplaying tip. Like Autopilot said before me, there's no such thing as cold, hard rules to roleplaying or character creation. It's an art, and with experience comes the ability to make certain judgement calls. Anything can go so long as everyone is happy and having fun. Your only job is to be sure that the roleplaying is fair to others, just like any other game. So go out there and be fearless. Be daring and creative while encouraging others to do the same with you. Roleplaying is a unique and special storytelling media because of the fact that it involves more than one person in the telling of the story. Take advantage of that wonderful fact and take joy in creating something together.

For all my listing and lecturing, the only true way to learn the in's and out's of roleplaying is to roleplay for yourself! I've been roleplaying for eight years now, and it has taken me all eight years to learn what I know now. I'm still learning, and I will always be learning, and if I tried putting everything I learned into words then I would fill a book that no one would read. So to all roleplayers out there, new and old, I hope these tips helped you out-- and sincerely hope you break them all.
Snowcat#30958
FR+3 | Pings/PMs OK!
0HxJjfZ.gif... ACOZFAh.png
hzM3Sr2.png
... image0.png
@Snowcat I can get behind your additions, snowcat. They are logical and to the point, and are useful!
@Snowcat I can get behind your additions, snowcat. They are logical and to the point, and are useful!
tumblr_nq0dlcmuyk1svbq5wo1_540.png
A great idea =D Have fun guys!!!
A great idea =D Have fun guys!!!
Hi I have a question. Me and a few of my friends are planning on starting up an adoptable that we would like people who obtain them be able to Rp them here in the forums. People who Rp would earn points towards gear, pets, and eggs for the adoptable is that allowed?
Hi I have a question. Me and a few of my friends are planning on starting up an adoptable that we would like people who obtain them be able to Rp them here in the forums. People who Rp would earn points towards gear, pets, and eggs for the adoptable is that allowed?
sign_zpsyqdix7tm.png
Are roleplays with other animals (wolves, cats, dogs, etc) ok?
Are roleplays with other animals (wolves, cats, dogs, etc) ok?
-dis is under construction-
This is very helpful thanks so much!
This is very helpful thanks so much!
Lichtdrache.gif
4skHeap.png
So I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question but I'm unclear about the roles of what kind of roleplay can be posted.

Do the roleplays always have to take place in the universe of Flight Rising, or is it ok to if it is just an rp about dragons?

Also, if it does need to take place in the Flight Rising universe, are we allowed to make up our own lore? (Such as making up how the world was made, what monsters exist, where humans are involved, mythos/daemons exist, etc.)
So I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question but I'm unclear about the roles of what kind of roleplay can be posted.

Do the roleplays always have to take place in the universe of Flight Rising, or is it ok to if it is just an rp about dragons?

Also, if it does need to take place in the Flight Rising universe, are we allowed to make up our own lore? (Such as making up how the world was made, what monsters exist, where humans are involved, mythos/daemons exist, etc.)
can we role play as role players role playing role players
can we role play as role players role playing role players
6kN0bTT.png
Saved this for future reference
Saved this for future reference
tumblr_mzm9z4zqfF1rnvb0co1_500.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12