Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Royally Ruined - 1x1 with catalysts
1 2
Once again, Theodore found himself in the city. The sky was overcast on this day, but the temperature was pleasant. The air was cool, and though the clouds appeared threatening, anyone with something to sell was in the market. He had come with his brothers, and he was without his horse this time.

As the trio waltzed through the market, they demanded much more respect this time than Theodore did on his own. Reynauld, in all his tiny glory, lead the group. Alfred walked shortly behind Reynauld, and Theodore towed behind some distance. When he saw Lottie's family's stand, he silently broke off from their little train, and hurried over. He was dressed finely yet again, with a white shirt, blue cravat, and black tailcoat. His trousers matched his cravat, and his boots matched his coat.

"Miss Wickham!" he whispered, then smiled widely at her as he approached. "Did you receive my gift? I received no correspondence, but I didn't expect anything. I simply wanted to make sure," Theodore explained, then looked behind him, watching as his brothers moved through the market, unaware of his departure.

"I trust your week went well?" he inquired, straightening himself and resettling his glasses on his nose.
Once again, Theodore found himself in the city. The sky was overcast on this day, but the temperature was pleasant. The air was cool, and though the clouds appeared threatening, anyone with something to sell was in the market. He had come with his brothers, and he was without his horse this time.

As the trio waltzed through the market, they demanded much more respect this time than Theodore did on his own. Reynauld, in all his tiny glory, lead the group. Alfred walked shortly behind Reynauld, and Theodore towed behind some distance. When he saw Lottie's family's stand, he silently broke off from their little train, and hurried over. He was dressed finely yet again, with a white shirt, blue cravat, and black tailcoat. His trousers matched his cravat, and his boots matched his coat.

"Miss Wickham!" he whispered, then smiled widely at her as he approached. "Did you receive my gift? I received no correspondence, but I didn't expect anything. I simply wanted to make sure," Theodore explained, then looked behind him, watching as his brothers moved through the market, unaware of his departure.

"I trust your week went well?" he inquired, straightening himself and resettling his glasses on his nose.
d047adb8-d110-4014-b0e6-eaa56c0d5049_zpsrxlk4xdn.png
Lottie was talking to a customer as she noticed his approach, and she quickly finished her sale before bustling the customer off much quicker than likely necesssary. Everett was off again, this time buying groceries, and she thanked the heavens for his absence as Theodore stopped in front of her stand.

This time, she had more of an idea of his status, especially with the notable procession he entered in. The finery he wore certainly made her look like a street rat in her patched skirts, and yet she smoothed the front of her dark green cotton dress as though it were silk. The piece of cloth holding back her braids was mussed, and she quickly adjusted it. Her face remained carefully stoic as he chattered on about the flowers he sent, and she managed half a grin when he stopped talking. She still had little idea of the proper way to address someone of his status, so she blundered through a curtsy to the best of her ability.

"I got them. They seemed a bit extravagent for the occasion, no? They were lovely nonetheless." She said, one eyebrow quirked in amusement. "Oh, I've been fine. Our stomachs have never been emptier, but it certainly is a satisfying way to live, don't you think? Nothing like a spot of hunger to get you up in the morning." She said cheerfully, mouth turned up in a sardonic smirk.

Her place forgotten, she leaned forwards and rested her elbows on the counter. "And I trust you've been getting on just splendidly as well?" She bit her tongue before saying more, certain that she had already overstepped her boundaries. The gentleman had been nothing but polite, but she couldn't help but remember the opulence in which he must live with a touch of bitterness.
Lottie was talking to a customer as she noticed his approach, and she quickly finished her sale before bustling the customer off much quicker than likely necesssary. Everett was off again, this time buying groceries, and she thanked the heavens for his absence as Theodore stopped in front of her stand.

This time, she had more of an idea of his status, especially with the notable procession he entered in. The finery he wore certainly made her look like a street rat in her patched skirts, and yet she smoothed the front of her dark green cotton dress as though it were silk. The piece of cloth holding back her braids was mussed, and she quickly adjusted it. Her face remained carefully stoic as he chattered on about the flowers he sent, and she managed half a grin when he stopped talking. She still had little idea of the proper way to address someone of his status, so she blundered through a curtsy to the best of her ability.

"I got them. They seemed a bit extravagent for the occasion, no? They were lovely nonetheless." She said, one eyebrow quirked in amusement. "Oh, I've been fine. Our stomachs have never been emptier, but it certainly is a satisfying way to live, don't you think? Nothing like a spot of hunger to get you up in the morning." She said cheerfully, mouth turned up in a sardonic smirk.

Her place forgotten, she leaned forwards and rested her elbows on the counter. "And I trust you've been getting on just splendidly as well?" She bit her tongue before saying more, certain that she had already overstepped her boundaries. The gentleman had been nothing but polite, but she couldn't help but remember the opulence in which he must live with a touch of bitterness.
QgoWm3b.png cat
she/her
fr +3
art shop
hatchery
sleeping coatl
Theodore listened carefully, relaxing a bit himself as she leaned forward onto her stand. He could taste the sharpness of her words as they flitted past her lips, and they caused the green in his eyes to twinge.

"I understand the world is very unfair to some, and has blessed others. But I also understand the difference between gifted by earth and greedy with her fruit..." he muttered, lowering his head slightly, but maintaining conversational contact. "I will speak with Father, though I doubt his footing will shift. He's very set in his ways, but he prefers favor with the people over many things," he explained, then sighed.

What an awkward moment. He didn't blame her, of course. She was birthed by suffering, and he was birthed of silken robes. Though the experience was humbling, he made no further mention of his own prosperity, as it was abundantly clear he experienced few shortcomings.

"I would offer my assistance, though I fear it may only slight you further, my dear. I know certainly that handing you gifts or charity would be means for excommunication. You are much too proud of a lady, and I would feel as though I were insulting you. Is there something that I may do in the immediate future that would aid you?" He spoke, words sincere and his voice soft like rabbit down. Theodore looked over his glasses now, hands folded neatly in front of him. He looked rather pathetic, pride something he was never well acquianted with.
Theodore listened carefully, relaxing a bit himself as she leaned forward onto her stand. He could taste the sharpness of her words as they flitted past her lips, and they caused the green in his eyes to twinge.

"I understand the world is very unfair to some, and has blessed others. But I also understand the difference between gifted by earth and greedy with her fruit..." he muttered, lowering his head slightly, but maintaining conversational contact. "I will speak with Father, though I doubt his footing will shift. He's very set in his ways, but he prefers favor with the people over many things," he explained, then sighed.

What an awkward moment. He didn't blame her, of course. She was birthed by suffering, and he was birthed of silken robes. Though the experience was humbling, he made no further mention of his own prosperity, as it was abundantly clear he experienced few shortcomings.

"I would offer my assistance, though I fear it may only slight you further, my dear. I know certainly that handing you gifts or charity would be means for excommunication. You are much too proud of a lady, and I would feel as though I were insulting you. Is there something that I may do in the immediate future that would aid you?" He spoke, words sincere and his voice soft like rabbit down. Theodore looked over his glasses now, hands folded neatly in front of him. He looked rather pathetic, pride something he was never well acquianted with.
Lottie's face tightened at his reply, the sincere apology in his tone causing her stomach to twinge with what felt like guilt. It certainly wasn't his fault that he was wealthy, and he had done no harm. In fact, he had made an effort to be cordial, and she had responded with the same bitterness that had driven the village away from her. Tugging on her braid with one hand nervously, she caught her lip between her teeth and lowered her gaze from his striking green eyes.

"My apologies." She said softly, the bite gone from her words as she restrained her temper. "I had no right to lash out. Forgive me."

Her mother would be proud, but despite the apology in her tone it took her no time to return his gaze with her own level stare, mouth now turned into a playful smile as she tilted her head at his offer of aid. "You are correct in choosing not to offer goods. Even if I were to accept, I am certain that my father would force their return. However, we could always use an extra hand around the stand."

Her words were lighthearted, sweet as the sunshine beaming around the market they stood in. "If you would be so kind as to offer your assistance in selling produce, I believe that we could call the score even." She said, a sly wink punctuating her statement. "That is, if you think you can get away for a few minutes."
Lottie's face tightened at his reply, the sincere apology in his tone causing her stomach to twinge with what felt like guilt. It certainly wasn't his fault that he was wealthy, and he had done no harm. In fact, he had made an effort to be cordial, and she had responded with the same bitterness that had driven the village away from her. Tugging on her braid with one hand nervously, she caught her lip between her teeth and lowered her gaze from his striking green eyes.

"My apologies." She said softly, the bite gone from her words as she restrained her temper. "I had no right to lash out. Forgive me."

Her mother would be proud, but despite the apology in her tone it took her no time to return his gaze with her own level stare, mouth now turned into a playful smile as she tilted her head at his offer of aid. "You are correct in choosing not to offer goods. Even if I were to accept, I am certain that my father would force their return. However, we could always use an extra hand around the stand."

Her words were lighthearted, sweet as the sunshine beaming around the market they stood in. "If you would be so kind as to offer your assistance in selling produce, I believe that we could call the score even." She said, a sly wink punctuating her statement. "That is, if you think you can get away for a few minutes."
QgoWm3b.png cat
she/her
fr +3
art shop
hatchery
sleeping coatl
Theodore lit up, shoving his glasses back up his nose and grinning wide. He could help, and that was a wonderful thing. With the sweetness in her voice, and the wink that flitted through like a bandit, he blushed softly, and gave a firm nod.

"I am the least important of my brothers. I don't believe they've even noticed my absence. Reynauld certainly won't, he is headed to the pastry shop at the far end of the market, intent on biscuits and jam. And Alfred is watching him, making for certain the boy doesn't cause a fuss," Theodore explained, then shuffled his fingers through his red curls, and slipped behind the stand. He placed his hands behind his back, and leaned forward, actually taking note of the product he'd be selling.

"Considering the weather we've had thus far, I am very impressed by the quality of your produce," he muttered, squinting as he studied. He then pulled a small pouch from his pocket. "I'd care to take some for myself at the end of the day." He nodded at her, then held a stack of coins in his fingers, prepared to drop them into her hands.

"I'll have the cook prepare them for supper tomorrow. The meal is already likely in the works, and provided I can also assist you in packing the stand for the night, I'd miss it anyway."
Theodore lit up, shoving his glasses back up his nose and grinning wide. He could help, and that was a wonderful thing. With the sweetness in her voice, and the wink that flitted through like a bandit, he blushed softly, and gave a firm nod.

"I am the least important of my brothers. I don't believe they've even noticed my absence. Reynauld certainly won't, he is headed to the pastry shop at the far end of the market, intent on biscuits and jam. And Alfred is watching him, making for certain the boy doesn't cause a fuss," Theodore explained, then shuffled his fingers through his red curls, and slipped behind the stand. He placed his hands behind his back, and leaned forward, actually taking note of the product he'd be selling.

"Considering the weather we've had thus far, I am very impressed by the quality of your produce," he muttered, squinting as he studied. He then pulled a small pouch from his pocket. "I'd care to take some for myself at the end of the day." He nodded at her, then held a stack of coins in his fingers, prepared to drop them into her hands.

"I'll have the cook prepare them for supper tomorrow. The meal is already likely in the works, and provided I can also assist you in packing the stand for the night, I'd miss it anyway."
Lottie smiled slightly at his proferred coins, shaking her head gently. "Your work will be payment enough." She said, pushing past his outstretched hand to rearrange a pile on the stand, looking behind her to address the young prince again. "Put your choice aside. I think a prince at a stand may attract more sales than usual." She said with another wide grin, turning her attention back to the task at hand. When the produce was arranged to her satisfaction, she turned again, hands on her hips and grin spreading across her freckled face.

"I think you should work the front with me. When - or if, more likely - Everett comes back, he'll help pack up the stand, so no need to bother yourself with that." Tilting her head, she gave a shrug. "Selling vegetables is by no means an arduous task, so I don't think you'll have any issues."

Moving to take her place behind the stall, she motioned for him to join her by her side, resuming her earlier position with both elbows on the counter without a backwards glance to make sure he followed her orders. Settling herself in, she regarded the market with a vaguely bored gaze before turning her head to regard him with fresh interest. "Questions?"
Lottie smiled slightly at his proferred coins, shaking her head gently. "Your work will be payment enough." She said, pushing past his outstretched hand to rearrange a pile on the stand, looking behind her to address the young prince again. "Put your choice aside. I think a prince at a stand may attract more sales than usual." She said with another wide grin, turning her attention back to the task at hand. When the produce was arranged to her satisfaction, she turned again, hands on her hips and grin spreading across her freckled face.

"I think you should work the front with me. When - or if, more likely - Everett comes back, he'll help pack up the stand, so no need to bother yourself with that." Tilting her head, she gave a shrug. "Selling vegetables is by no means an arduous task, so I don't think you'll have any issues."

Moving to take her place behind the stall, she motioned for him to join her by her side, resuming her earlier position with both elbows on the counter without a backwards glance to make sure he followed her orders. Settling herself in, she regarded the market with a vaguely bored gaze before turning her head to regard him with fresh interest. "Questions?"
QgoWm3b.png cat
she/her
fr +3
art shop
hatchery
sleeping coatl
Theodore looked between the produce and Lottie, then chewed on his lip, absently collecting his chosen foods. Did he even know enough about selling things to have a question? After a moment, he wiped his hands on the sides of his legs and lightly gripped at the hem of his coat as he shuffled in next to her.

"Hagglers and traders. What do I do if they approach? I assume a trader is easier to deal with than a haggler, but I have... no reference for worth of items. Unless it is a book, or a chunk of gold, I admit my blindness," he muttered, then scratched the back of his head, ashamed.

"Perhaps it's more beneficial that you converse with those. I may be much too timid," he laughed, though with a strain. His green eyes twinkled slightly under his glasses as he knit his eyebrows together and looked at Lottie.
Theodore looked between the produce and Lottie, then chewed on his lip, absently collecting his chosen foods. Did he even know enough about selling things to have a question? After a moment, he wiped his hands on the sides of his legs and lightly gripped at the hem of his coat as he shuffled in next to her.

"Hagglers and traders. What do I do if they approach? I assume a trader is easier to deal with than a haggler, but I have... no reference for worth of items. Unless it is a book, or a chunk of gold, I admit my blindness," he muttered, then scratched the back of his head, ashamed.

"Perhaps it's more beneficial that you converse with those. I may be much too timid," he laughed, though with a strain. His green eyes twinkled slightly under his glasses as he knit his eyebrows together and looked at Lottie.
Lottie laughed and gave a tiny shake of her head. "Not many people try to change the value of my produce, thankfully. They've learned not to mess with my prices." Waving her hand over the rest of the market, she carried on. "Mostly, traders come from other stalls. I can handle them, so don't worry yourself about it. Just let me know if someone starts trying to hand you a chicken."

She met his eyes again and gave what she hoped was a supportive smile. "Really, I appreciate the help. The morning rush seems mostly over, so we shouldn't have too many people to handle."

Her gaze turned back to the market, which she gazed at for a moment before returning her thoughts to the prince standing besides her. She was thankful for the company, though he seemed quiet and nervous more often than not. It seemed odd to her that someone of his status would be this soft-spoken - her imaginings of royalty were mostly of snobbish and bull-headed old men - but she certainly wasn't complaining. This was pleasant, she felt, and she didn't particularly want him to feel quite so indebted to her. Settling into her seat, she gave a small sigh as she wrangled her mind back to the task at hand, watching for any people approaching the stand.
Lottie laughed and gave a tiny shake of her head. "Not many people try to change the value of my produce, thankfully. They've learned not to mess with my prices." Waving her hand over the rest of the market, she carried on. "Mostly, traders come from other stalls. I can handle them, so don't worry yourself about it. Just let me know if someone starts trying to hand you a chicken."

She met his eyes again and gave what she hoped was a supportive smile. "Really, I appreciate the help. The morning rush seems mostly over, so we shouldn't have too many people to handle."

Her gaze turned back to the market, which she gazed at for a moment before returning her thoughts to the prince standing besides her. She was thankful for the company, though he seemed quiet and nervous more often than not. It seemed odd to her that someone of his status would be this soft-spoken - her imaginings of royalty were mostly of snobbish and bull-headed old men - but she certainly wasn't complaining. This was pleasant, she felt, and she didn't particularly want him to feel quite so indebted to her. Settling into her seat, she gave a small sigh as she wrangled her mind back to the task at hand, watching for any people approaching the stand.
QgoWm3b.png cat
she/her
fr +3
art shop
hatchery
sleeping coatl
1 2