Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Caravan Catastrophe
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
@Eaglerider

Trading caravan trails, in the year 2287, are as common as highways had been back before the great war. While most of them are small, and fairly localized, there are a few trails for the more ambitious and adventurous. They tend to be longer, and traverse through deadlier territory. but the payoff is always guaranteed to be better than the local routes. Provided the trader in question is smart and hardy enough to survive.

One such route crossed from the Capital Wastes, of former Washington state; DC, to New Vegas, where the NCR and Cesar's Legion battle for dominance over the land. This year as the caravan neared what would have been the California border a clan of highway men attacked scattering the traders, killing, and looting as they went. Many perished at the hands of the robbers though a few escaped down the road, or into a small nearby town.

Zion languidly swirled the remainder of his irradiated gin, the liquid occasionally collecting the residue from the inside of the half cleaned glass. He gulped it down and eyed the other patrons, for a crappy dive bar 'The House of The Rising Sun' was pulling in quite the turnout. He wasn't sure but the Ex-raider was sure the name was ripped off from an old song title. Either way it was a gathering place for all types of people. Women, men, occasionally a ghoul if they were ballsy enough. He'd been renting a room here for the past week or so looking for work, a self proclaimed mercenary, if you had the caps all you need do is point out the target, he'd shoot 'em dead. His harrowing gaze returned to his now empty glass, jade green eyes dull with boredom.

He'd left the raiders about a year ago, give or take a month, but his reflexes and and aim were sharper than ever. The young man's back stiffened as his personal space was violated and a slender hand found its way into his thick auburn Mohawk. He spun around, knife in hand prepared to gut the offender like Yao Gui only to be met with a thin blonde woman, a soft smile written over her features despite the look of fear in her eyes. He sighed and lowered the knife mustering a half-hearted glare. "One of these days I'm not gonna stop in time Celeste." She giggled and produced a pair of aviator sunglasses from her dress pocket.

"Don't be so grumpy Zi, I brought you a gift!"

He eyed the glasses, arching one of his eyebrows "what's the catch?" The girl pouted in response.

"No catch, I just wanna be friends...but if you happen to come across any snack cakes I'd be happy to take 'em!"

Zion couldn't help but grin at her antics, raising his shoulders in an exaggerated shrug, causing the spikes along the shoulders of his leather jacket to brush against his cheeks. "I dunno Celeste..." He paused for a moment watching her wilt, "I suppose I could bring you a couple packets if I find any. The blonde cheered handing the glasses to him. Zion opened his mouth to respond when gun fire rung through the air. "Everybody down!" Called the ex-raider brandishing his shotgun as he stormed towards the door ready for a fire fight. He spotted the highway men and traders, gritting his teeth. "Don't these dipsticks understand that we all need traders to survive out here?" The question was rhetorical of course, he made a beeline for the closest trader hip-firing at the bandits. "Oi trader, there's shelter back that way. Go I'll cover you!"
@Eaglerider

Trading caravan trails, in the year 2287, are as common as highways had been back before the great war. While most of them are small, and fairly localized, there are a few trails for the more ambitious and adventurous. They tend to be longer, and traverse through deadlier territory. but the payoff is always guaranteed to be better than the local routes. Provided the trader in question is smart and hardy enough to survive.

One such route crossed from the Capital Wastes, of former Washington state; DC, to New Vegas, where the NCR and Cesar's Legion battle for dominance over the land. This year as the caravan neared what would have been the California border a clan of highway men attacked scattering the traders, killing, and looting as they went. Many perished at the hands of the robbers though a few escaped down the road, or into a small nearby town.

Zion languidly swirled the remainder of his irradiated gin, the liquid occasionally collecting the residue from the inside of the half cleaned glass. He gulped it down and eyed the other patrons, for a crappy dive bar 'The House of The Rising Sun' was pulling in quite the turnout. He wasn't sure but the Ex-raider was sure the name was ripped off from an old song title. Either way it was a gathering place for all types of people. Women, men, occasionally a ghoul if they were ballsy enough. He'd been renting a room here for the past week or so looking for work, a self proclaimed mercenary, if you had the caps all you need do is point out the target, he'd shoot 'em dead. His harrowing gaze returned to his now empty glass, jade green eyes dull with boredom.

He'd left the raiders about a year ago, give or take a month, but his reflexes and and aim were sharper than ever. The young man's back stiffened as his personal space was violated and a slender hand found its way into his thick auburn Mohawk. He spun around, knife in hand prepared to gut the offender like Yao Gui only to be met with a thin blonde woman, a soft smile written over her features despite the look of fear in her eyes. He sighed and lowered the knife mustering a half-hearted glare. "One of these days I'm not gonna stop in time Celeste." She giggled and produced a pair of aviator sunglasses from her dress pocket.

"Don't be so grumpy Zi, I brought you a gift!"

He eyed the glasses, arching one of his eyebrows "what's the catch?" The girl pouted in response.

"No catch, I just wanna be friends...but if you happen to come across any snack cakes I'd be happy to take 'em!"

Zion couldn't help but grin at her antics, raising his shoulders in an exaggerated shrug, causing the spikes along the shoulders of his leather jacket to brush against his cheeks. "I dunno Celeste..." He paused for a moment watching her wilt, "I suppose I could bring you a couple packets if I find any. The blonde cheered handing the glasses to him. Zion opened his mouth to respond when gun fire rung through the air. "Everybody down!" Called the ex-raider brandishing his shotgun as he stormed towards the door ready for a fire fight. He spotted the highway men and traders, gritting his teeth. "Don't these dipsticks understand that we all need traders to survive out here?" The question was rhetorical of course, he made a beeline for the closest trader hip-firing at the bandits. "Oi trader, there's shelter back that way. Go I'll cover you!"
foto_1.png
Well, I'll shoot her with my ray gun when she comes. Yes, I'll shoot her with my ray gun when she comes. Yes, I'll shoot her with my ray gun, oh, I'll shoot her with my ray gun. Yes, I'll shoot her with my ray gun when she comes. When she comes!
@Residentlunatic

Robert had traversed these trails for most of his life. Most times nothing usually came out of it. Since the great war, trade was life for those smart enough to haggle, as well as protect what you scavenge. Today, would have been normal. Despite the long trip from DC to New Vegas. Now most times bandits ignored traders or simply demanded caps or some other product as a toll.

It was bad enough dealing with the NCR and the legions. Now hostile bandits? He had been talking with one of the other traders before the bandits more or less sprung from the sands. Much to his dismay. Then the fighting began... no negotiations, nothing. These guys were either up to no good or simply wanted to loot the caravan once the brahman and everyone else was dead.

Robert had his hunting rifle ready as he fired carefully at the attackers. Too focused on the task at hand and didn't see the new arrival as he leaned out carefully and fired at a distant bandit. The trader Zion spoke to looks at him. "Thanks." He says before darting away, and getting hit shortly after. One trader yells something about the bandits trying to split up the caravan entirely, making two separate engagement areas. Robert saw the man fall, so much for getting out of this mess... Robert had short black hair, though upon closer inspection it was actually brown, he has blue gray eyes and a stubble. He was reloading his rifle as the fighting worsens.
@Residentlunatic

Robert had traversed these trails for most of his life. Most times nothing usually came out of it. Since the great war, trade was life for those smart enough to haggle, as well as protect what you scavenge. Today, would have been normal. Despite the long trip from DC to New Vegas. Now most times bandits ignored traders or simply demanded caps or some other product as a toll.

It was bad enough dealing with the NCR and the legions. Now hostile bandits? He had been talking with one of the other traders before the bandits more or less sprung from the sands. Much to his dismay. Then the fighting began... no negotiations, nothing. These guys were either up to no good or simply wanted to loot the caravan once the brahman and everyone else was dead.

Robert had his hunting rifle ready as he fired carefully at the attackers. Too focused on the task at hand and didn't see the new arrival as he leaned out carefully and fired at a distant bandit. The trader Zion spoke to looks at him. "Thanks." He says before darting away, and getting hit shortly after. One trader yells something about the bandits trying to split up the caravan entirely, making two separate engagement areas. Robert saw the man fall, so much for getting out of this mess... Robert had short black hair, though upon closer inspection it was actually brown, he has blue gray eyes and a stubble. He was reloading his rifle as the fighting worsens.
Zion continued to shoot eventually opting for one of the dead men's combat rifle, he recognized the attacking group they packed tech that made the Brotherhood of Steel look bad. He gritted his teeth looking down at the dead traders, and back at the town no way they'd survive a full on assault. Dubiously he decided that it would be best if he and the, quite possibly only, survivor got out of there now. He grabbed the harness of the Brahmin the guy had with him and the survivor's arm, "I'm friendly don't shoot! We've gotta book it man, these guys 're ruthless and they'll plow down that settlement if we keep shootin'. There's over a dozen kids down there, let's go man!"

He tugged at the other man's arm insistently, he wasn't about to watch everyone he'd grown fond of get killed because some ballsy traveler refused to give up when he was licked. "You're buddies are dead 'cept maybe four er five who they let go so the trade keeps comin' back."
Zion continued to shoot eventually opting for one of the dead men's combat rifle, he recognized the attacking group they packed tech that made the Brotherhood of Steel look bad. He gritted his teeth looking down at the dead traders, and back at the town no way they'd survive a full on assault. Dubiously he decided that it would be best if he and the, quite possibly only, survivor got out of there now. He grabbed the harness of the Brahmin the guy had with him and the survivor's arm, "I'm friendly don't shoot! We've gotta book it man, these guys 're ruthless and they'll plow down that settlement if we keep shootin'. There's over a dozen kids down there, let's go man!"

He tugged at the other man's arm insistently, he wasn't about to watch everyone he'd grown fond of get killed because some ballsy traveler refused to give up when he was licked. "You're buddies are dead 'cept maybe four er five who they let go so the trade keeps comin' back."
foto_1.png
Well, I'll shoot her with my ray gun when she comes. Yes, I'll shoot her with my ray gun when she comes. Yes, I'll shoot her with my ray gun, oh, I'll shoot her with my ray gun. Yes, I'll shoot her with my ray gun when she comes. When she comes!
Robert continued to fight, shooting at the bandits, he didn't know them at all. And was unfamiliar with the group of them around here. When his arm was grabbed, Robert swung around thinking it a bandit. Then he hears the man talking. He looked like a bandit. "Look like a bandit.." He says honestly but not shooting. "Where to? The bandits will march into town and chase me anyway." He says looking out behind his cover a moment.

"Look I'll run but not sure how far I'd get. Yeah they got probably the entire caravan. And I'm not about to risk others. But where exactly would i go?" He asks the stranger. He looks at Zion as the gunfire surrounds his position.
Robert continued to fight, shooting at the bandits, he didn't know them at all. And was unfamiliar with the group of them around here. When his arm was grabbed, Robert swung around thinking it a bandit. Then he hears the man talking. He looked like a bandit. "Look like a bandit.." He says honestly but not shooting. "Where to? The bandits will march into town and chase me anyway." He says looking out behind his cover a moment.

"Look I'll run but not sure how far I'd get. Yeah they got probably the entire caravan. And I'm not about to risk others. But where exactly would i go?" He asks the stranger. He looks at Zion as the gunfire surrounds his position.
"Ex-raider." He clarified putting himself in between the trader and the highwaymen. He glanced back scanning the dusty hills, he knew of an old school house a few miles west of the town, no one went that far into feral territory except him. He tugged a Tesla grenade from his belt and tossed it into the fray that ought to buy them enough time to get far enough away to be too much of a hassle to chase. With one hand still firmly gripping the trader's arm and the other on the brahmin harness he ran, worn out leather boots kicking up sand and he pulled the two down into the valley. "There's an old school house down there, it's considered feral territory though. We get down there no one's gonna come looking for us, I can also assure you we get out of immediate firing rage and we ain't worth the trouble in their eyes." He slowed as the bandits on the hill dispersed, looking ticked off but not interested in giving chase. Zion sighed and ground the heels of his palms into his eyes. "Asshats..." he grumbled. "Sorry 'bout your caravan, they must have been on their way to demand taxes from town when they spotted you guys up on the hill." His accent was definitely east coast in origin, though it wasn't distinctive of any one area in particular. He held out his hand and let a weary smile curl the corners of his lips, "Name's Zion, and no not because of the old state park down here. Means heaven. My mother had a really sick sense of humor. So what's your's trader?"
"Ex-raider." He clarified putting himself in between the trader and the highwaymen. He glanced back scanning the dusty hills, he knew of an old school house a few miles west of the town, no one went that far into feral territory except him. He tugged a Tesla grenade from his belt and tossed it into the fray that ought to buy them enough time to get far enough away to be too much of a hassle to chase. With one hand still firmly gripping the trader's arm and the other on the brahmin harness he ran, worn out leather boots kicking up sand and he pulled the two down into the valley. "There's an old school house down there, it's considered feral territory though. We get down there no one's gonna come looking for us, I can also assure you we get out of immediate firing rage and we ain't worth the trouble in their eyes." He slowed as the bandits on the hill dispersed, looking ticked off but not interested in giving chase. Zion sighed and ground the heels of his palms into his eyes. "Asshats..." he grumbled. "Sorry 'bout your caravan, they must have been on their way to demand taxes from town when they spotted you guys up on the hill." His accent was definitely east coast in origin, though it wasn't distinctive of any one area in particular. He held out his hand and let a weary smile curl the corners of his lips, "Name's Zion, and no not because of the old state park down here. Means heaven. My mother had a really sick sense of humor. So what's your's trader?"
foto_1.png
"Ah. Explains the get up." He says. He followed after the man, he clutching his rifle as they ran. "Right.. ghouls or otherwise?" He asks. "Also won't that mean high radiation levels?" He didn't turn back assuming that the bandits were looting their spoils from the firefight which aggravated him. Mainly as they all had goods, not one person had one thing though at least. "Either way, most of the trade goods we've worked for, scavenged and traded for are lost. I'm just glad ammunition wasn't a major thing. Least energy weapons or heavy things." He sighs. "Was 8 of us. 4 are back there maybe 5. But for all i know I'm last. Thanks for stepping up though. Got me out of a bind there that's for sure." Robert looks at Zion. "Zion? Well.. didn't know a park was ahead. I'm Robert. Well once we are safe you have first pick from my stock."
"Ah. Explains the get up." He says. He followed after the man, he clutching his rifle as they ran. "Right.. ghouls or otherwise?" He asks. "Also won't that mean high radiation levels?" He didn't turn back assuming that the bandits were looting their spoils from the firefight which aggravated him. Mainly as they all had goods, not one person had one thing though at least. "Either way, most of the trade goods we've worked for, scavenged and traded for are lost. I'm just glad ammunition wasn't a major thing. Least energy weapons or heavy things." He sighs. "Was 8 of us. 4 are back there maybe 5. But for all i know I'm last. Thanks for stepping up though. Got me out of a bind there that's for sure." Robert looks at Zion. "Zion? Well.. didn't know a park was ahead. I'm Robert. Well once we are safe you have first pick from my stock."
"Radiation isn't too bad up there, not now anyway. The ghouls up there are all pretty old too. I figure they all wandered in there and took up residence when no one was around to drive them away. That and geckos like heading up there some times so good food source. They stay in the main building though, we can stay up in the old shed. I used to camp out there before I was sure the towns folk would be accepting to a man of my background, it's no Goodneighbor but no one seemed to mind all the leather and spikes." He continued on listening to Robert speak, he slung the combat rifle over his shoulder with his shotgun.

"Thanks." He glanced back over his shoulder, "you know a lot of those highwaymen are just about as stupid as they look. They'll probably only take caps, ammo, and guns. Maybe some food if you had any. Otherwise they'll probably leave a decent haul behind. Depending on what's left you'll probably be able to trade in town once the ruckus has died down." He slid the sunglasses Celeste had given him on and looked around. The lenses were in good condition so he was willing to bet she'd sneaked into the old boarded up hotel in town. The place was festering with radiation, and god only knows what else. "How long you been a trader Robert?" He didn't expect an answer but a little conversation would be nice so he figured he may as well try.
"Radiation isn't too bad up there, not now anyway. The ghouls up there are all pretty old too. I figure they all wandered in there and took up residence when no one was around to drive them away. That and geckos like heading up there some times so good food source. They stay in the main building though, we can stay up in the old shed. I used to camp out there before I was sure the towns folk would be accepting to a man of my background, it's no Goodneighbor but no one seemed to mind all the leather and spikes." He continued on listening to Robert speak, he slung the combat rifle over his shoulder with his shotgun.

"Thanks." He glanced back over his shoulder, "you know a lot of those highwaymen are just about as stupid as they look. They'll probably only take caps, ammo, and guns. Maybe some food if you had any. Otherwise they'll probably leave a decent haul behind. Depending on what's left you'll probably be able to trade in town once the ruckus has died down." He slid the sunglasses Celeste had given him on and looked around. The lenses were in good condition so he was willing to bet she'd sneaked into the old boarded up hotel in town. The place was festering with radiation, and god only knows what else. "How long you been a trader Robert?" He didn't expect an answer but a little conversation would be nice so he figured he may as well try.
foto_1.png
"Good neighbor? Anyway, as long as its shelter and away from radiation and other man eating things it will be ok. "Regardless. I was hesitant to trust you there. Since who knows what else was going to happen with the fighting going on. Keep the rifle, the guy who fell won't need it. Agh.. it's going to be a hard time to explain all that. Especially to the boss. Though i guess those that may be alive will go explain it before i get there." He shoulders his rifle as they walk to the "safe house". Hopefully the ghouls stayed inside and didn't create more problems.

"They looked more to enjoy the fighting. So minimum stuff, ok. Well, we had alcohol, food, small weapons. That sort of thing. We have recently decided to find more routes. The canyon will have to be avoided for next time. As for trading in town, are you a local there now?" He asks. "Well most my life, least from what i remember. I'm from the east coast. Though from the capital wasteland to my home is very different. Least in terms of radiation. So, for an amount I'd say maybe 6 years. My father got me into it. He trading with my mother before settling down."
"Good neighbor? Anyway, as long as its shelter and away from radiation and other man eating things it will be ok. "Regardless. I was hesitant to trust you there. Since who knows what else was going to happen with the fighting going on. Keep the rifle, the guy who fell won't need it. Agh.. it's going to be a hard time to explain all that. Especially to the boss. Though i guess those that may be alive will go explain it before i get there." He shoulders his rifle as they walk to the "safe house". Hopefully the ghouls stayed inside and didn't create more problems.

"They looked more to enjoy the fighting. So minimum stuff, ok. Well, we had alcohol, food, small weapons. That sort of thing. We have recently decided to find more routes. The canyon will have to be avoided for next time. As for trading in town, are you a local there now?" He asks. "Well most my life, least from what i remember. I'm from the east coast. Though from the capital wasteland to my home is very different. Least in terms of radiation. So, for an amount I'd say maybe 6 years. My father got me into it. He trading with my mother before settling down."
"Yeah little place up in the commonwealth. It's a safe haven for all of the undesirables up there, run by a ghoul called Hancock." He chuckled when the other man mentioned his hesitation to trust the ex-raider. "I don't blame you, some freak with a Mohawk came running up to me I'd be skeptical too. Your boss must be a real hardass then, raider attacks are so damn frequent out here it'd be more shocking if you hadn't gotten jumped." He shrugged deciding his opinion was better kept to himself.

"Your booze is gone that's for damn sure. Small weapons huh? Like pistols and all that jazz? You might actually have a chance at recovering some of that too. They like big showy stuff, laser rifles, miniguns, combat shotguns. They don't appreciate the versatility of smaller guns, I had the displeasure of getting recruited by them upon my arrival here. I said no and shot their leader in the knee, after all I'd just left one crew I wasn't plannin' on finding another to run with." He shook his head, "not technically no, I hang around looking for work though. Mercenary, or bodyguard for hire. Granted most of the time the most I get is farmhand stuff, herding bighorners, and fixing fences. Still gotta fund my way to New Vegas somehow right?"
"Yeah little place up in the commonwealth. It's a safe haven for all of the undesirables up there, run by a ghoul called Hancock." He chuckled when the other man mentioned his hesitation to trust the ex-raider. "I don't blame you, some freak with a Mohawk came running up to me I'd be skeptical too. Your boss must be a real hardass then, raider attacks are so damn frequent out here it'd be more shocking if you hadn't gotten jumped." He shrugged deciding his opinion was better kept to himself.

"Your booze is gone that's for damn sure. Small weapons huh? Like pistols and all that jazz? You might actually have a chance at recovering some of that too. They like big showy stuff, laser rifles, miniguns, combat shotguns. They don't appreciate the versatility of smaller guns, I had the displeasure of getting recruited by them upon my arrival here. I said no and shot their leader in the knee, after all I'd just left one crew I wasn't plannin' on finding another to run with." He shook his head, "not technically no, I hang around looking for work though. Mercenary, or bodyguard for hire. Granted most of the time the most I get is farmhand stuff, herding bighorners, and fixing fences. Still gotta fund my way to New Vegas somehow right?"
foto_1.png
"I think i know the place. Though i don't remember the name... diamond city?" He has trying to remember the commonwealth again. Anyway, at least I'm not dead. As for my boss. Man you don't know the half of it. She may as well be a raider! She and her husband frequently get on us about our caps and everything. Especially if business is slow. We always have to sell most or return with new things. And dont even try cheating at cards. They will definitely make an example of you."

Robert sighs. "Figured. Well. Like i said, you have first pick on the alcohol and my wares. Good thing we haven't had the Armory working lately. We would have had those if that was the case. And recruited by those fools? Least you are breathing too, raiders don't ususlly leave survivors around that decline their offers. Or demands. As for weapons yes, small weapons. Not many energy though. Farm work? Well i would do the same but no good land at places. If you're looking for work i could hire you. Because i too was going through New Vegas. Though I'm heading West."
"I think i know the place. Though i don't remember the name... diamond city?" He has trying to remember the commonwealth again. Anyway, at least I'm not dead. As for my boss. Man you don't know the half of it. She may as well be a raider! She and her husband frequently get on us about our caps and everything. Especially if business is slow. We always have to sell most or return with new things. And dont even try cheating at cards. They will definitely make an example of you."

Robert sighs. "Figured. Well. Like i said, you have first pick on the alcohol and my wares. Good thing we haven't had the Armory working lately. We would have had those if that was the case. And recruited by those fools? Least you are breathing too, raiders don't ususlly leave survivors around that decline their offers. Or demands. As for weapons yes, small weapons. Not many energy though. Farm work? Well i would do the same but no good land at places. If you're looking for work i could hire you. Because i too was going through New Vegas. Though I'm heading West."
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10