Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Darkness Within {Private}
1 2 3 4 5
Tilly slowed when Callum called for her to wait. When he caught up to her, she stopped and glanced up at him with an appraising glance while he babbled about being able to help her find the road to the capitol. She narrowed her eyes when he suddenly stopped talking, his words trailing off before he could tell her what had made him leave the capitol.

“I suppose that’d be nice. Not too familiar with this area.” What had driven him to leave? Was it something she didn’t want to get involved in? Tilly had a fairly simple life, minus her one little secret, and while it wasn’t the best of lives, it was hers and as uncomplicated as she could make it.

“...important?” She arched an eyebrow when he mentioned needing to ask her something. She didn’t know him, so what on earth could be so important that he needed to ask her? It wasn’t like he was the lost one here. “If this is about me liberating something from you, wasn’t me,” she said.

The moment the word Shaden was out of Callum’s mouth, the forest grew quiet, the smattering of birdsong dying out until only a few, brave, birds kept up some noise, which was better than no noise, or at least Tilly hoped so. The look on Callum’s face showed he had noticed the sound drop too and didn’t look thrilled about it.

“Where ya been, stormy eyes?” She shifted uncomfortably, trying to infuse her voice with confusion and dodged the question as if her life depended on it. “Everyone knows what the Shaden are.” A tingle raced down her spine when she said their name.
Tilly slowed when Callum called for her to wait. When he caught up to her, she stopped and glanced up at him with an appraising glance while he babbled about being able to help her find the road to the capitol. She narrowed her eyes when he suddenly stopped talking, his words trailing off before he could tell her what had made him leave the capitol.

“I suppose that’d be nice. Not too familiar with this area.” What had driven him to leave? Was it something she didn’t want to get involved in? Tilly had a fairly simple life, minus her one little secret, and while it wasn’t the best of lives, it was hers and as uncomplicated as she could make it.

“...important?” She arched an eyebrow when he mentioned needing to ask her something. She didn’t know him, so what on earth could be so important that he needed to ask her? It wasn’t like he was the lost one here. “If this is about me liberating something from you, wasn’t me,” she said.

The moment the word Shaden was out of Callum’s mouth, the forest grew quiet, the smattering of birdsong dying out until only a few, brave, birds kept up some noise, which was better than no noise, or at least Tilly hoped so. The look on Callum’s face showed he had noticed the sound drop too and didn’t look thrilled about it.

“Where ya been, stormy eyes?” She shifted uncomfortably, trying to infuse her voice with confusion and dodged the question as if her life depended on it. “Everyone knows what the Shaden are.” A tingle raced down her spine when she said their name.
91586610.png
Callum looked around warily, searching for any signs of a Shaden nearby. If it weren't for his pendant, both him and Tilly would probably be torn to shreds. He somehow expected Tilly to respond the way she did, not giving any information other than "everybody knows about the Shaden". It was as if merely mentioning their name gave them more power. "...I've been to places I wish I had never seen," he murmured in response, his voice barely audible. He noticed how uncomfortable Tilly seemed and shuffled for a bit before properly walking again.

"Sorry," he apologized quickly. "I wasn't thinking before I spoke I guess... we should probably start heading to that road now." He paused, scanning his surroundings. Hmm... have I been here before? he asked himself, feeling a bit of deja-vu. As he lead Tilly towards the road to the Capitol, he received a feeling he didn't really want to have at the moment. "Tilly...? Do you feel like someone's watching us?" he asked with discomfort. He could've said something, but he didn't think it was the Shaden. The ones that attacked him usually didn't watch him before pouncing; they mostly came out of nowhere. He shivered uncomfortably, becoming paranoid.

They finally reached the edge of the road that led straight to the Capitol, but he didn't step out right away. He heard the sound of a wagon approaching and hid behind a tree, pulling Tilly with him. When the wagon was close enough, he stiffened. It was the same one he escaped from. Things were only getting worse when the wagon abruptly stopped near where they were. He took one step back, contemplating running away with Tilly. "This isn't good," he whispered quietly. Do they even know where we are? he asked himself, coming to a realization soon after. Why else would the wagon stop there? This can't be a coincidence. He wondered if the wealthy lady from earlier was in there, teaming up with the guy who kidnapped him. After all, they both probably witnessed what happened back at the village.

If we run, we could get shot down with darts, and if we stay, we'll be discovered. But maybe if I use my magic, we can get out of here... but... if Tilly sees it... she'll think I'm in command of the Shaden... and she'll be afraid of me... I don't want that to happen... why does this have to be so complicated? He glanced at Tilly, as if asking her what they should do.
Callum looked around warily, searching for any signs of a Shaden nearby. If it weren't for his pendant, both him and Tilly would probably be torn to shreds. He somehow expected Tilly to respond the way she did, not giving any information other than "everybody knows about the Shaden". It was as if merely mentioning their name gave them more power. "...I've been to places I wish I had never seen," he murmured in response, his voice barely audible. He noticed how uncomfortable Tilly seemed and shuffled for a bit before properly walking again.

"Sorry," he apologized quickly. "I wasn't thinking before I spoke I guess... we should probably start heading to that road now." He paused, scanning his surroundings. Hmm... have I been here before? he asked himself, feeling a bit of deja-vu. As he lead Tilly towards the road to the Capitol, he received a feeling he didn't really want to have at the moment. "Tilly...? Do you feel like someone's watching us?" he asked with discomfort. He could've said something, but he didn't think it was the Shaden. The ones that attacked him usually didn't watch him before pouncing; they mostly came out of nowhere. He shivered uncomfortably, becoming paranoid.

They finally reached the edge of the road that led straight to the Capitol, but he didn't step out right away. He heard the sound of a wagon approaching and hid behind a tree, pulling Tilly with him. When the wagon was close enough, he stiffened. It was the same one he escaped from. Things were only getting worse when the wagon abruptly stopped near where they were. He took one step back, contemplating running away with Tilly. "This isn't good," he whispered quietly. Do they even know where we are? he asked himself, coming to a realization soon after. Why else would the wagon stop there? This can't be a coincidence. He wondered if the wealthy lady from earlier was in there, teaming up with the guy who kidnapped him. After all, they both probably witnessed what happened back at the village.

If we run, we could get shot down with darts, and if we stay, we'll be discovered. But maybe if I use my magic, we can get out of here... but... if Tilly sees it... she'll think I'm in command of the Shaden... and she'll be afraid of me... I don't want that to happen... why does this have to be so complicated? He glanced at Tilly, as if asking her what they should do.
xk7ymDQ.png
Tilly drifted behind Callum, amused by his awkward apology for asking a harmless question, or it should have been harmless, if he had asked anyone but her. Biting her lower lip, she glanced around the trees. Was traveling with him such a good idea? What if he tried to prod her some more? If he found out what she knew, he’d turn her over to the King’s Guard or maybe just kill her on the spot.

Her fearful musings were interrupted by Callum’s question. Tilly frowned, pushing her thoughts aside as she tried to see if she could feel the same thing he was, but now that he had brought it up, she couldn’t help but feel that they were being watched. That just his paranoidness rubbing off on me?

“Hey, wha-” Tilly was yanked back by Callum just as she was about to step out on the road. Hand twitching towards her hidden dagger, she paused when she heard the wagon coming down the road. The wagon, and the horses pulling it, came to a stop near their hiding spot.

Tilly shifted uncomfortably, not too enthused about being this close to a stranger. Her eyes flicked to his scarf and where the pendant lay hidden. Just a quick grab… Callum’s quiet whisper confused her. Why wasn’t the wagon good? He seemed on edge about it and Tilly had no idea why. It looked like every other wagon, though this one was covered and it was angled in such a way that she couldn’t see the driver.

Callum looked to her, a question written in his eyes. “What? It’s a wagon. Think it’s going to eat you, stormy eyes?” She arched an eyebrow at him before stepping out from behind the tree. “Don’t be shy, let’s go. Daylight's a wasting.”
Tilly drifted behind Callum, amused by his awkward apology for asking a harmless question, or it should have been harmless, if he had asked anyone but her. Biting her lower lip, she glanced around the trees. Was traveling with him such a good idea? What if he tried to prod her some more? If he found out what she knew, he’d turn her over to the King’s Guard or maybe just kill her on the spot.

Her fearful musings were interrupted by Callum’s question. Tilly frowned, pushing her thoughts aside as she tried to see if she could feel the same thing he was, but now that he had brought it up, she couldn’t help but feel that they were being watched. That just his paranoidness rubbing off on me?

“Hey, wha-” Tilly was yanked back by Callum just as she was about to step out on the road. Hand twitching towards her hidden dagger, she paused when she heard the wagon coming down the road. The wagon, and the horses pulling it, came to a stop near their hiding spot.

Tilly shifted uncomfortably, not too enthused about being this close to a stranger. Her eyes flicked to his scarf and where the pendant lay hidden. Just a quick grab… Callum’s quiet whisper confused her. Why wasn’t the wagon good? He seemed on edge about it and Tilly had no idea why. It looked like every other wagon, though this one was covered and it was angled in such a way that she couldn’t see the driver.

Callum looked to her, a question written in his eyes. “What? It’s a wagon. Think it’s going to eat you, stormy eyes?” She arched an eyebrow at him before stepping out from behind the tree. “Don’t be shy, let’s go. Daylight's a wasting.”
91586610.png
((So sorry this is late! Back to school shopping kind of sucks ^^;))

Callum remained rooted to the ground as Tilly dismissed his worries and stepped out from behind the tree. To be fair, what she was saying was true; they were losing light pretty fast. The problem wasn't the wagon itself, but rather, the person, or people, inside. He was about to speak, but he then fell silent. "No... it's not that," he murmured, going over his options. He watched as someone exited the wagon... oddly enough, it wasn't the man who "greeted" him when he woke up earlier. It was another man; this one looked younger than the other one, with copper hair and brown eyes. Yet Callum wasn't getting a friendly vibe from this man.

The man noticed Tilly there and put on a fake smile that Callum could see as fake. That same man approached Tilly, keeping his distance at the same time. "Hello, young lady," he greeted, standing tall. "You appear to be lost... are you, by chance, heading to the Capitol? If so, I can offer a ride; I'm sure my friend won't mind. He's looking for someone, and he thinks they fled to the Capitol." The man paused before his fake smile melted into a frown, a hint of a glare forming in his eyes. "Someone is looking for you too," he added to Tilly, hand shifting slightly. "Someone who lost one of her rings. It seems as though she won't stop until you are caught and brought to justice, so... let's just make this quick."

As soon as the man made a move to draw his dagger, Callum quickly reacted, drawing his magic forth. He formed shadows in his hand and thrust it forward, forming some kind of pitch-black ribbon which wrapped around the man's wrist, causing him to drop his dagger. He forced the man's hand away from his side and threw him against a nearby tree, shocking and knocking him out. The shadowy ribbon then disintegrated into ash-like shadows and flew back to Callum, who was walking out from behind the tree. He absorbed the darkness back into his hand as he approached the unconscious man, checking for any serious injuries. He was relieved when he found none; he stood and faced Tilly. He just now realized that she had possibly seen what he did, now most likely thinking that he was connected to the Shaden. Shadow mages generally aren't treated too well... he thought nervously. "Tilly... I'm not who you may think I am," he prefaced, holding his hands up as if trying to reassure her that he wasn't going to kill her.
((So sorry this is late! Back to school shopping kind of sucks ^^;))

Callum remained rooted to the ground as Tilly dismissed his worries and stepped out from behind the tree. To be fair, what she was saying was true; they were losing light pretty fast. The problem wasn't the wagon itself, but rather, the person, or people, inside. He was about to speak, but he then fell silent. "No... it's not that," he murmured, going over his options. He watched as someone exited the wagon... oddly enough, it wasn't the man who "greeted" him when he woke up earlier. It was another man; this one looked younger than the other one, with copper hair and brown eyes. Yet Callum wasn't getting a friendly vibe from this man.

The man noticed Tilly there and put on a fake smile that Callum could see as fake. That same man approached Tilly, keeping his distance at the same time. "Hello, young lady," he greeted, standing tall. "You appear to be lost... are you, by chance, heading to the Capitol? If so, I can offer a ride; I'm sure my friend won't mind. He's looking for someone, and he thinks they fled to the Capitol." The man paused before his fake smile melted into a frown, a hint of a glare forming in his eyes. "Someone is looking for you too," he added to Tilly, hand shifting slightly. "Someone who lost one of her rings. It seems as though she won't stop until you are caught and brought to justice, so... let's just make this quick."

As soon as the man made a move to draw his dagger, Callum quickly reacted, drawing his magic forth. He formed shadows in his hand and thrust it forward, forming some kind of pitch-black ribbon which wrapped around the man's wrist, causing him to drop his dagger. He forced the man's hand away from his side and threw him against a nearby tree, shocking and knocking him out. The shadowy ribbon then disintegrated into ash-like shadows and flew back to Callum, who was walking out from behind the tree. He absorbed the darkness back into his hand as he approached the unconscious man, checking for any serious injuries. He was relieved when he found none; he stood and faced Tilly. He just now realized that she had possibly seen what he did, now most likely thinking that he was connected to the Shaden. Shadow mages generally aren't treated too well... he thought nervously. "Tilly... I'm not who you may think I am," he prefaced, holding his hands up as if trying to reassure her that he wasn't going to kill her.
xk7ymDQ.png
((School, yuck xD))

Tilly blinked when a man stepped down from inside the wagon and started to approach her. The smile plastered across his face immediately put her on edge. “I’m not lost!” She grinned sheepishly. “Just out for a stroll!” Tilly started to back away, hands held behind her back as she tried for her most innocent expression. “I’ll just be hea-” Her little act dropped the moment the man revealed his true intentions.

“Guess she’s going to be looking for a loooong time.” Tilly stuck her tongue out at him. “I don’t do the whole justice thing, it’s very messed up! And one sided! I mean, getting thrown into a dungeon for stealing one little ring? How do you guys not run out of room?” Her eyes on the dagger, Tilly continued to back away.

A flash of black flew past her and snagged the man around the wrist, disarming him and then flung him into a tree with a wince worthy crack of breaking bark. Tilly jumped when the dark ribbons disintegrated and swept back past her. Eyes wide, Tilly turned and watched Callum check the man he had just tossed casually through the air.

“You’re a human Shaden!” She shouted, pointing a finger at him when he turned to her. Does that even exist? Whatever, he ain’t taking me alive! “You’re after me for what I know! I should have known the apple was a lie.” Tilly whipped around and fled back into the darkening forest, hoping the trees would get in the way of whatever dark magic he had used on that man.
((School, yuck xD))

Tilly blinked when a man stepped down from inside the wagon and started to approach her. The smile plastered across his face immediately put her on edge. “I’m not lost!” She grinned sheepishly. “Just out for a stroll!” Tilly started to back away, hands held behind her back as she tried for her most innocent expression. “I’ll just be hea-” Her little act dropped the moment the man revealed his true intentions.

“Guess she’s going to be looking for a loooong time.” Tilly stuck her tongue out at him. “I don’t do the whole justice thing, it’s very messed up! And one sided! I mean, getting thrown into a dungeon for stealing one little ring? How do you guys not run out of room?” Her eyes on the dagger, Tilly continued to back away.

A flash of black flew past her and snagged the man around the wrist, disarming him and then flung him into a tree with a wince worthy crack of breaking bark. Tilly jumped when the dark ribbons disintegrated and swept back past her. Eyes wide, Tilly turned and watched Callum check the man he had just tossed casually through the air.

“You’re a human Shaden!” She shouted, pointing a finger at him when he turned to her. Does that even exist? Whatever, he ain’t taking me alive! “You’re after me for what I know! I should have known the apple was a lie.” Tilly whipped around and fled back into the darkening forest, hoping the trees would get in the way of whatever dark magic he had used on that man.
91586610.png
((Ikr... I had a ball writing this one XD))

There were times when Callum wished he was wrong about something. This was most certainly one of those times. He was right; Tilly now thought he was a human Shaden. She now seemed to think that the kind attitude from earlier was a hoax to lure her in. He was a little confused when she accused him of being after her for what she knew. What did she know? Was it something about the Shaden? Maybe she knew where they originated. If that was the case, then why would she assume that he needed to know that? I would most likely already know that information if I was a Shaden... I mean, I would've come from there and thus know where it is, he thought sadly, that very sadness reflecting in his eyes. Why did he think this was a good idea?

"Wait, no! I'm not a Shaden! I'm not...!" he shouted after Tilly, despite knowing that it was too late. She was already fleeing into the darkening forest, probably convinced he was going to attack her now. Shadow mages were always associated with the Shaden nowadays. Even before the Shaden existed, those with dark magic were considered evil; they were thus captured and executed whenever they were found. Now what was Tilly going to do? Perhaps she would report him to someone, who would then hunt him down. He sighed hopelessly, staring in the direction Tilly ran in.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Callum stood there, questioning himself. He contemplated going after her, but that would just prove her point further. The Shaden usually chased after a victim until they reached said victim and killed them. If he ran after her, she would never think of him as anything other than a Shaden. He finally made his decision; he was going to stay. Maybe she would come back if he stayed where he was.

Or maybe she would keep running.

He stared up at the sky, feeling alone once more. It was for the best. He had to convince himself that this was the way things were supposed to be. Now all he had to do was leave this detour behind and continue on the path he had been following for the past two years. Find where the Shaden came from... and destroy them. That is my purpose. He turned towards the wagon, which the driver had yet to leave. It was like he was asleep or something... it seemed strange. Now I just need to fulfill that purpose... I just hope-

A bright flash of light suddenly blinded him; pain flooded his entire body. It was a given for light to hurt him, considering he was a shadow mage. He howled in pain and fell on his knees, slamming a palm onto the ground to keep himself from collapsing. Soon enough, the driver of the wagon took a few steps towards him; he was the one who "woke" him up earlier. He must've used light magic on me! Callum realized, now attempting to stand and run, yet another flash of light caused him to use both hands to remain upright. Come on... I have to get up! Why am I failing!? I'm stronger than this! Why... why can't I move...?

"Well, well, if it isn't you again," the man growled, looming over Callum, who was quivering slightly due to the amount of effort he was putting into holding himself up. "I should've known you were a magic user... how else would you have escaped? It doesn't really matter... shadow mage." The man spat the last part at him with a scathing tone, causing him to flinch slightly. His eyes were firmly planted on the floor, not looking up at the man whatsoever. "You and that no-good thief shall be punished," the man added, glaring at Callum, who finally lifted his head to return it with a glare of his own.

"She is not a thief," Callum spat, daring to smirk after a few seconds. "She is a professional appropriating liberator. Get it right." He felt a twinge of satisfaction for a split second before the man growled audibly and willed his palm to light up, holding it in front of Callum's face. He yelped quietly, wincing and squeezing his eyes shut; he could already see spots dancing in his vision, even with his eyes closed. "I could care less what that stuck-up brat calls herself!" the man snapped, grabbing him by his hair and lifting his head up, forcing him to look at him. "She is still a thief... and you're gonna help us find her. You don't have a choice in the matter. I told you I would make you pay dearly if you tried to escape, and that is exactly what I will do. Besides... she isn't really a friend of yours, is she? That girl called you a Shaden. You're not shaken up by that at all? After the kindness you offered, she still left you alone. That's simply what these thieves do; they only look out for themselves. She was probably planning on stealing your pendant too, and yet, you were too blind to see it and distance yourself from her. Both of you are as blind as bats."

Being called blind was one thing, but having to listen to this guy insult and berate Tilly was the last straw. Callum coated himself with darkness, growling angrily. The man let go of his hair and backed up slightly, unafraid. "You have no idea what you are getting yourself into," he seethed. "What even is this? There are packs of Shaden out there, and your biggest concern is catching one person who stole one tiny ring!? Wow... priorities, am I right!? You're kidding me! Those are the worst priorities I've heard in a long time!"

The man froze stiff for a second before his anger began to truly show. He formed a ball of light in his hand and threw it at Callum, who couldn't move out of its path of travel in time, despite him leaning to the side to try and will his legs to move. It caught him in the chest and sent him flying a few feet back. His head spun as his surroundings became nothing but a blur. What was the point... why do I insist...? he asked himself glumly, barely staying awake. "Don't you dare say their name," the man shot back. "You don't have a right to judge a grown man's priorities, kid. But what you will do is tell me where the thief went. I know you saw which direction she ran. Now share it with me, or we'll just keep doing this, minute after minute of pain, until you cave in and tell me. She will get caught either way, so you should go ahead and spare yourself the torture."

In response, Callum continued to resist, remaining silent while plotting a way to escape. It seemed rather hopeless, considering how weak he was at the moment. "Alright... so you think playing the silent treatment will prevent me from finding the thief? Okay then," the man growled, throwing another ball of light at Callum. He cried out as the sphere collided with him, draining more of his energy. "You won't be able to take any more of this," the man added, crossing his arms. "Just tell me where she went, and this will end." At that moment, Callum leaned to the side, breathing heavily. He looked to the right, which was not where Tilly went, and kept his gaze there, just long enough for the man to turn in that direction.

Callum then counted down from three to one in his head before taking off in a sprint towards one of the horses pulling the wagon. Before the man could react to his sudden movements, he hopped on a white horse and detached the reins from the wagon. "Where do you think you're going!?" the man shouted angrily, lobbing another ball of light at him. Callum could block it this time with an intensified shadowy aura, much stronger than it was just a few minutes ago. The horse then took off, galloping away from the wagon and leaving the scene behind. Callum was too tired to command the horse, so he let it go in whatever direction it wanted, as long as it didn't go back to the wagon. He felt pulsing pain all throughout his body as he slowly started to drift off.

After a while, the horse slowed down to a trot when Callum accidentally pulled back on the reins just slightly. "Ugh..." he moaned quietly. He hoped Tilly was far away from that wagon, otherwise she was going to be facing hell, and for what? Just because she stole a small ring? He was honestly confused; that thought process only drove him to despise the rich more than he already did. Just... sleep on it... you need the rest anyway... you're too weak to fight now... he told himself, not being as cautious as he was before.
((Ikr... I had a ball writing this one XD))

There were times when Callum wished he was wrong about something. This was most certainly one of those times. He was right; Tilly now thought he was a human Shaden. She now seemed to think that the kind attitude from earlier was a hoax to lure her in. He was a little confused when she accused him of being after her for what she knew. What did she know? Was it something about the Shaden? Maybe she knew where they originated. If that was the case, then why would she assume that he needed to know that? I would most likely already know that information if I was a Shaden... I mean, I would've come from there and thus know where it is, he thought sadly, that very sadness reflecting in his eyes. Why did he think this was a good idea?

"Wait, no! I'm not a Shaden! I'm not...!" he shouted after Tilly, despite knowing that it was too late. She was already fleeing into the darkening forest, probably convinced he was going to attack her now. Shadow mages were always associated with the Shaden nowadays. Even before the Shaden existed, those with dark magic were considered evil; they were thus captured and executed whenever they were found. Now what was Tilly going to do? Perhaps she would report him to someone, who would then hunt him down. He sighed hopelessly, staring in the direction Tilly ran in.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Callum stood there, questioning himself. He contemplated going after her, but that would just prove her point further. The Shaden usually chased after a victim until they reached said victim and killed them. If he ran after her, she would never think of him as anything other than a Shaden. He finally made his decision; he was going to stay. Maybe she would come back if he stayed where he was.

Or maybe she would keep running.

He stared up at the sky, feeling alone once more. It was for the best. He had to convince himself that this was the way things were supposed to be. Now all he had to do was leave this detour behind and continue on the path he had been following for the past two years. Find where the Shaden came from... and destroy them. That is my purpose. He turned towards the wagon, which the driver had yet to leave. It was like he was asleep or something... it seemed strange. Now I just need to fulfill that purpose... I just hope-

A bright flash of light suddenly blinded him; pain flooded his entire body. It was a given for light to hurt him, considering he was a shadow mage. He howled in pain and fell on his knees, slamming a palm onto the ground to keep himself from collapsing. Soon enough, the driver of the wagon took a few steps towards him; he was the one who "woke" him up earlier. He must've used light magic on me! Callum realized, now attempting to stand and run, yet another flash of light caused him to use both hands to remain upright. Come on... I have to get up! Why am I failing!? I'm stronger than this! Why... why can't I move...?

"Well, well, if it isn't you again," the man growled, looming over Callum, who was quivering slightly due to the amount of effort he was putting into holding himself up. "I should've known you were a magic user... how else would you have escaped? It doesn't really matter... shadow mage." The man spat the last part at him with a scathing tone, causing him to flinch slightly. His eyes were firmly planted on the floor, not looking up at the man whatsoever. "You and that no-good thief shall be punished," the man added, glaring at Callum, who finally lifted his head to return it with a glare of his own.

"She is not a thief," Callum spat, daring to smirk after a few seconds. "She is a professional appropriating liberator. Get it right." He felt a twinge of satisfaction for a split second before the man growled audibly and willed his palm to light up, holding it in front of Callum's face. He yelped quietly, wincing and squeezing his eyes shut; he could already see spots dancing in his vision, even with his eyes closed. "I could care less what that stuck-up brat calls herself!" the man snapped, grabbing him by his hair and lifting his head up, forcing him to look at him. "She is still a thief... and you're gonna help us find her. You don't have a choice in the matter. I told you I would make you pay dearly if you tried to escape, and that is exactly what I will do. Besides... she isn't really a friend of yours, is she? That girl called you a Shaden. You're not shaken up by that at all? After the kindness you offered, she still left you alone. That's simply what these thieves do; they only look out for themselves. She was probably planning on stealing your pendant too, and yet, you were too blind to see it and distance yourself from her. Both of you are as blind as bats."

Being called blind was one thing, but having to listen to this guy insult and berate Tilly was the last straw. Callum coated himself with darkness, growling angrily. The man let go of his hair and backed up slightly, unafraid. "You have no idea what you are getting yourself into," he seethed. "What even is this? There are packs of Shaden out there, and your biggest concern is catching one person who stole one tiny ring!? Wow... priorities, am I right!? You're kidding me! Those are the worst priorities I've heard in a long time!"

The man froze stiff for a second before his anger began to truly show. He formed a ball of light in his hand and threw it at Callum, who couldn't move out of its path of travel in time, despite him leaning to the side to try and will his legs to move. It caught him in the chest and sent him flying a few feet back. His head spun as his surroundings became nothing but a blur. What was the point... why do I insist...? he asked himself glumly, barely staying awake. "Don't you dare say their name," the man shot back. "You don't have a right to judge a grown man's priorities, kid. But what you will do is tell me where the thief went. I know you saw which direction she ran. Now share it with me, or we'll just keep doing this, minute after minute of pain, until you cave in and tell me. She will get caught either way, so you should go ahead and spare yourself the torture."

In response, Callum continued to resist, remaining silent while plotting a way to escape. It seemed rather hopeless, considering how weak he was at the moment. "Alright... so you think playing the silent treatment will prevent me from finding the thief? Okay then," the man growled, throwing another ball of light at Callum. He cried out as the sphere collided with him, draining more of his energy. "You won't be able to take any more of this," the man added, crossing his arms. "Just tell me where she went, and this will end." At that moment, Callum leaned to the side, breathing heavily. He looked to the right, which was not where Tilly went, and kept his gaze there, just long enough for the man to turn in that direction.

Callum then counted down from three to one in his head before taking off in a sprint towards one of the horses pulling the wagon. Before the man could react to his sudden movements, he hopped on a white horse and detached the reins from the wagon. "Where do you think you're going!?" the man shouted angrily, lobbing another ball of light at him. Callum could block it this time with an intensified shadowy aura, much stronger than it was just a few minutes ago. The horse then took off, galloping away from the wagon and leaving the scene behind. Callum was too tired to command the horse, so he let it go in whatever direction it wanted, as long as it didn't go back to the wagon. He felt pulsing pain all throughout his body as he slowly started to drift off.

After a while, the horse slowed down to a trot when Callum accidentally pulled back on the reins just slightly. "Ugh..." he moaned quietly. He hoped Tilly was far away from that wagon, otherwise she was going to be facing hell, and for what? Just because she stole a small ring? He was honestly confused; that thought process only drove him to despise the rich more than he already did. Just... sleep on it... you need the rest anyway... you're too weak to fight now... he told himself, not being as cautious as he was before.
xk7ymDQ.png
Callum’s shouts faded into the distance, swallowed up by the forest closing in around Tilly. When she heard nothing but the sounds of nature around her, she slowed and then stopped, leaning against a tree as she tried to catch her breath. The shadows beneath the trees were deepening as the sun sank further below the treeline, casting the sky in shades of fire.

“That was a close one,” she sighed and pushed away from the tree, trying to get her bearings. Never once had it occurred to her that the Shaden might try to do away with her because of what she knew, though stormy eyes was a terrible assassin; giving her an apple and then not killing her before he revealed his true nature to her.

Or whatever that magic stuff had been.

Tilly quietly hummed to herself, eyes searching the trees behind her. The road lay in that direction, supposedly. Forests were different than cities, she had no real sense of direction here as all the stupid trees looked the same. Green, leafy, and in her way. “Dumb trees, messing up m-”

A sudden thought occurred to her, eyes sweeping up the trunk of the nearest tree. It wasn’t a fire escape or a crumbling brick wall, but it still looked climbable. It took a few slips, but one scraped knee and a skinned palm later, Tilly was clambering through the higher branches until she could poke her head out of the tree top.

She could see the stretch of road where the wagon still sat and a dark shape in the fading light that must have been Callum who looked like he hadn’t moved. Why hadn’t he come after her? Didn’t the Shaden care that she had the knowledge of where they came from? Brow furrowing, she chewed on her lower lip, trying to make sense of his actions. Nothing was lining up.

Tilly spotted someone climbing out of the wagon and then sudden bright light flared on the road, making her blink and leaving behind an afterimage of the spell used. When her vision cleared, she saw the dark form that was Callum on the ground, a man standing over him. They looked like they were exchanging words before the man’s hand started to glow and he shoved it towards Callum’s face before grabbing his hair.

They were too far away for Tilly to make out any expressions, but by how Callum was reacting to the man’s magic she could tell that something was wrong. Another flash of light sent Callum out of her line of sight, the trees blocking the rest of the confrontation as the man advanced forward until he too was out of sight.

Tilly frowned, her grip on the branches tightening. Why was that man attacking stormy eyes? And if Callum really was a Shaden, why didn’t he kick that guy’s butt? Light magic may have been a deterrent to them, but it wasn’t like this guy was causing miniature suns to explode down there. Moments later, Callum burst back into her line of vision as he dashed for one of the two horses hitched to the wagon. She watched him vault onto its back, unhook the harness, and kick the animal into motion, the white form galloping down the road.

A flash of light chased after them, but it was rebuffed by a surge of shadow, and then Callum and the horse were gone from her sight again. Tilly spotted the man return to the wagon to shout at someone inside.

“Dang it, stormy eyes. Why you gotta go and be so confusing?” Tilly grumbled as she climbed her way back down to the ground. The light was nearly gone, but at least she knew where the road lay. Tilly began to walk in the correct direction when she noticed the silence around her. It hung in the air like that one annoying kid trying to get in on your group of friends.

“Oh…” Tilly whispered, catching sight of a pair of malevolent red eyes watching her from a hulking shape crouched between the trees a few yards away. Tilly was already moving as the Shadenified bear charged, it’s heavy paws smashing through the undergrowth towards her. “I taste terrible! Trust me, haven’t bathed in weeks!” That was a lie, but the Shaden didn’t need to know that.

Hot breath brushed against the back of her neck as Tilly veered right, the Shaden sliding into a tree trunk, dagger claws scrabbling on the ground for purchase as it lumbered after her, letting out a roar that shattered the silence. Tilly burst from the trees and made a beeline for the wagon just as the man came out again to investigate the noise. “Tag, you’re it!” She shouted as she darted past him and leaped for the remaining horse.

Unhitching the animal, she spared only a moment to glance over her shoulder as the Shaden, jaws gaping open, bore down on the horrified man. A terrible crunch and squish noise followed her as Tilly urged the horse down the road in the same direction Callum had gone. The animal didn’t need much prompting as the Shaden barreled down the road after them, clearly not as interested in the dead man as Tilly had hoped it would be.

The last vestiges of sunlight were fading from the sky when a white shape emerged from the gloom ahead, a hunched dark shape sitting atop it. “Hey, stormy eyes! Call your buddy off, huh?” She shouted as her horse swept past Callum’s, the Shaden letting out an angry roar behind them.
Callum’s shouts faded into the distance, swallowed up by the forest closing in around Tilly. When she heard nothing but the sounds of nature around her, she slowed and then stopped, leaning against a tree as she tried to catch her breath. The shadows beneath the trees were deepening as the sun sank further below the treeline, casting the sky in shades of fire.

“That was a close one,” she sighed and pushed away from the tree, trying to get her bearings. Never once had it occurred to her that the Shaden might try to do away with her because of what she knew, though stormy eyes was a terrible assassin; giving her an apple and then not killing her before he revealed his true nature to her.

Or whatever that magic stuff had been.

Tilly quietly hummed to herself, eyes searching the trees behind her. The road lay in that direction, supposedly. Forests were different than cities, she had no real sense of direction here as all the stupid trees looked the same. Green, leafy, and in her way. “Dumb trees, messing up m-”

A sudden thought occurred to her, eyes sweeping up the trunk of the nearest tree. It wasn’t a fire escape or a crumbling brick wall, but it still looked climbable. It took a few slips, but one scraped knee and a skinned palm later, Tilly was clambering through the higher branches until she could poke her head out of the tree top.

She could see the stretch of road where the wagon still sat and a dark shape in the fading light that must have been Callum who looked like he hadn’t moved. Why hadn’t he come after her? Didn’t the Shaden care that she had the knowledge of where they came from? Brow furrowing, she chewed on her lower lip, trying to make sense of his actions. Nothing was lining up.

Tilly spotted someone climbing out of the wagon and then sudden bright light flared on the road, making her blink and leaving behind an afterimage of the spell used. When her vision cleared, she saw the dark form that was Callum on the ground, a man standing over him. They looked like they were exchanging words before the man’s hand started to glow and he shoved it towards Callum’s face before grabbing his hair.

They were too far away for Tilly to make out any expressions, but by how Callum was reacting to the man’s magic she could tell that something was wrong. Another flash of light sent Callum out of her line of sight, the trees blocking the rest of the confrontation as the man advanced forward until he too was out of sight.

Tilly frowned, her grip on the branches tightening. Why was that man attacking stormy eyes? And if Callum really was a Shaden, why didn’t he kick that guy’s butt? Light magic may have been a deterrent to them, but it wasn’t like this guy was causing miniature suns to explode down there. Moments later, Callum burst back into her line of vision as he dashed for one of the two horses hitched to the wagon. She watched him vault onto its back, unhook the harness, and kick the animal into motion, the white form galloping down the road.

A flash of light chased after them, but it was rebuffed by a surge of shadow, and then Callum and the horse were gone from her sight again. Tilly spotted the man return to the wagon to shout at someone inside.

“Dang it, stormy eyes. Why you gotta go and be so confusing?” Tilly grumbled as she climbed her way back down to the ground. The light was nearly gone, but at least she knew where the road lay. Tilly began to walk in the correct direction when she noticed the silence around her. It hung in the air like that one annoying kid trying to get in on your group of friends.

“Oh…” Tilly whispered, catching sight of a pair of malevolent red eyes watching her from a hulking shape crouched between the trees a few yards away. Tilly was already moving as the Shadenified bear charged, it’s heavy paws smashing through the undergrowth towards her. “I taste terrible! Trust me, haven’t bathed in weeks!” That was a lie, but the Shaden didn’t need to know that.

Hot breath brushed against the back of her neck as Tilly veered right, the Shaden sliding into a tree trunk, dagger claws scrabbling on the ground for purchase as it lumbered after her, letting out a roar that shattered the silence. Tilly burst from the trees and made a beeline for the wagon just as the man came out again to investigate the noise. “Tag, you’re it!” She shouted as she darted past him and leaped for the remaining horse.

Unhitching the animal, she spared only a moment to glance over her shoulder as the Shaden, jaws gaping open, bore down on the horrified man. A terrible crunch and squish noise followed her as Tilly urged the horse down the road in the same direction Callum had gone. The animal didn’t need much prompting as the Shaden barreled down the road after them, clearly not as interested in the dead man as Tilly had hoped it would be.

The last vestiges of sunlight were fading from the sky when a white shape emerged from the gloom ahead, a hunched dark shape sitting atop it. “Hey, stormy eyes! Call your buddy off, huh?” She shouted as her horse swept past Callum’s, the Shaden letting out an angry roar behind them.
91586610.png
Callum rested his head on his steed's neck, close to drifting off to sleep. However, a silence-shattering roar shook him to no end, causing him to sit straight up on his horse. "Huzzah??" he slurred, shaking his head. He looked back to see Tilly riding a horse... and they were coming right at him. How did she know where he was? Maybe she was watching from a tree? Or maybe she saw the flashes of light while he was attacked. She bum-rushed past him, telling him to call off his buddy. "What?" he yelped, confused. His horse let out a panicked neighing sound and immediately sped up, catching Callum off guard, yet he managed to grip the reins before he could fall off.

"What do you mean, buddy?" he shouted over the wind, looking behind him to see an enraged, hulking bear chasing after them, unrelenting. Shaden, a voice echoed in his mind. "I'm not a Shaden! I'm a shadow mage!" he added, keeping his hold on the reins with one hand and forming shadow magic in his hand. Remember your training... you've taken these things down before... you can do this, he told himself, forming a sphere of shadows out of the darkness coating his hand. He then threw it at the bear, hoping it would at least slow the Shaden down. It tripped the Shaden up, sure, but it didn't stop the raging creature. It probably would've been more powerful if he had more energy.

He cursed under his breath and made sure he and his horse were behind Tilly; at least if he didn't get away, Tilly would. Anything to prove his innocence. Wait... there's something else I can do... but do I have enough energy to do it? he asked himself, finally coming to a decision. "Keep going and don't stop!" he shouted to Tilly, bracing himself. He called the surrounding shadows to him, absorbing the darkness and becoming a shadowy being. He still looked humanoid enough, except his entire form was pitch black and pulsing with darkness.

His eyes glowed a fiery orange as the Shaden ran closer to him and his horse. He growled and leapt off of his horse, landing on top of the raging bear. He removed a dagger from his bag and thrust it into the Shaden's hide, imbuing the blade with darkness. Leaving the dagger in the animal, he grabbed fistfuls of fur while on top of the bear and yanked back roughly, slowing the Shaden down. That same Shaden roared and thrashed around to try and knock him off, yet he held firm, gritting his teeth.

((Shaden's an NPC, I'm assuming, control it however you like, since it's mostly yours and everything ^^))
Callum rested his head on his steed's neck, close to drifting off to sleep. However, a silence-shattering roar shook him to no end, causing him to sit straight up on his horse. "Huzzah??" he slurred, shaking his head. He looked back to see Tilly riding a horse... and they were coming right at him. How did she know where he was? Maybe she was watching from a tree? Or maybe she saw the flashes of light while he was attacked. She bum-rushed past him, telling him to call off his buddy. "What?" he yelped, confused. His horse let out a panicked neighing sound and immediately sped up, catching Callum off guard, yet he managed to grip the reins before he could fall off.

"What do you mean, buddy?" he shouted over the wind, looking behind him to see an enraged, hulking bear chasing after them, unrelenting. Shaden, a voice echoed in his mind. "I'm not a Shaden! I'm a shadow mage!" he added, keeping his hold on the reins with one hand and forming shadow magic in his hand. Remember your training... you've taken these things down before... you can do this, he told himself, forming a sphere of shadows out of the darkness coating his hand. He then threw it at the bear, hoping it would at least slow the Shaden down. It tripped the Shaden up, sure, but it didn't stop the raging creature. It probably would've been more powerful if he had more energy.

He cursed under his breath and made sure he and his horse were behind Tilly; at least if he didn't get away, Tilly would. Anything to prove his innocence. Wait... there's something else I can do... but do I have enough energy to do it? he asked himself, finally coming to a decision. "Keep going and don't stop!" he shouted to Tilly, bracing himself. He called the surrounding shadows to him, absorbing the darkness and becoming a shadowy being. He still looked humanoid enough, except his entire form was pitch black and pulsing with darkness.

His eyes glowed a fiery orange as the Shaden ran closer to him and his horse. He growled and leapt off of his horse, landing on top of the raging bear. He removed a dagger from his bag and thrust it into the Shaden's hide, imbuing the blade with darkness. Leaving the dagger in the animal, he grabbed fistfuls of fur while on top of the bear and yanked back roughly, slowing the Shaden down. That same Shaden roared and thrashed around to try and knock him off, yet he held firm, gritting his teeth.

((Shaden's an NPC, I'm assuming, control it however you like, since it's mostly yours and everything ^^))
xk7ymDQ.png
Tilly jerked on the reigns of her horse, the animal letting out a shrill protest as its hooves skidded in the dirt and it came to a halt, the whites of its eyes clearly visible. Callum had told her to go on, but why miss all the excitement?

She turned her horse around just in time to see Callum be consumed by shadows, the dark substance forming around him and leap onto the back of the Shaden. Callum’s horse charged past her and didn’t stop, the terrified animal bent on getting out of there. Tilly’s own horse tugged against the reigns, but she wouldn’t let it take off after its companion.

“Shadow mage?!” Tilly had never been very good with magic. She didn’t keep track of who controlled what or what that person was called. She just liberated their stuff. “Not much of a stormy eyes anymore, are you?” Tilly mouthed to herself, taking in Callum’s now fiery eyes that blazed out of the shadows surrounding him like miniature flames.

The Shaden let out a roar and came to a shambling stop a yard away from Tilly’s horse. She could feel the animal trembling beneath her, but she didn’t move away. The Shaden reared, malevolent red eyes filled with hatred. It twisted its head and tried to snap its jaws around Callum to yank him from its back.

((You can control it too, kill it even. I don’t mind.))
Tilly jerked on the reigns of her horse, the animal letting out a shrill protest as its hooves skidded in the dirt and it came to a halt, the whites of its eyes clearly visible. Callum had told her to go on, but why miss all the excitement?

She turned her horse around just in time to see Callum be consumed by shadows, the dark substance forming around him and leap onto the back of the Shaden. Callum’s horse charged past her and didn’t stop, the terrified animal bent on getting out of there. Tilly’s own horse tugged against the reigns, but she wouldn’t let it take off after its companion.

“Shadow mage?!” Tilly had never been very good with magic. She didn’t keep track of who controlled what or what that person was called. She just liberated their stuff. “Not much of a stormy eyes anymore, are you?” Tilly mouthed to herself, taking in Callum’s now fiery eyes that blazed out of the shadows surrounding him like miniature flames.

The Shaden let out a roar and came to a shambling stop a yard away from Tilly’s horse. She could feel the animal trembling beneath her, but she didn’t move away. The Shaden reared, malevolent red eyes filled with hatred. It twisted its head and tried to snap its jaws around Callum to yank him from its back.

((You can control it too, kill it even. I don’t mind.))
91586610.png
Callum swung his head in Tilly's direction, wondering why the heck she wasn't running away. No matter what reason it was, he obviously didn't want her to stick around and possibly get hurt. He yanked the Shaden's fur harder, even though the beast had already come to a stop about a yard away from Tilly and her horse, who looked scared out of its wits. "What are you doing!? Get out of here before you-!"

He didn't get to finish, for he let out a pained scream as the Shaden's jaws wrapped around his torso, sharp teeth sinking into his flesh. His shadowy form bristled further, tendrils automatically forming and wrapping around the Shaden to try and force it to the ground. However, those tendrils quickly dissipated as Callum was yanked off of the Shaden's back and slammed onto the ground. His hands twitched as spheres made of shadows formed in them. He tried to take aim, but before he knew what was happening, the bear lifted its head with Callum's body still in its jaws, suddenly shaking its head back and forth, flinging him about like he was just a child's toy. Callum's vision blurred almost instantly as he began seeing red, blood spurting out of his body. His arms were thrust forward by the force of the Shaden shaking him around, with the spheres still floating above them. Both spheres were accidentally launched at the Shaden; the first one flew right past it and hit a nearby tree, while the second one slammed into the Shaden's snout.

The Shaden roared and flung Callum roughly to the left, causing the latter to hit another nearby tree. He fell to the ground, feeling paralyzed, yet he squared his shoulders and pushed himself up. He shouldn't have been able to leave the ground. He was already tired from his confrontation with the light mage, but this was just making his condition worse. Adrenaline coursed through his veins as he grit his teeth and formed thicker tendrils of darkness. The tendrils wrapped tighter around the Shaden's limbs, keeping it mostly restrained. The beast roared hatefully and twisted its head to pierce Callum with its eyes alone. The Shaden tried to back away, yet Callum held firm, pulling on the tendrils to keep it rooted in place. However, he failed to see what the beast was actually trying to do.

The Shaden, strangely enough, had a wicked grin on its face just before it roared loudly and sprinted at Callum, claws outstretched. He just barely reacted, leaping to the side as the bear's weight bore down on the tree, causing it to fall down. However, as he moved out of the way, one of the Shaden's claws sliced deeply into his cheek, spilling more blood. Callum felt like he was on the brink of passing out, yet he was determined to finish the creature off before it moved on to Tilly. Just as the Shaden turned towards Tilly, growling before charging at her and her horse, Callum's eyes glowed a brighter orange than before as a death glare formed on his face. Just a few seconds after, something began to form in the shadows near the raging bear. The next thing he heard was a deafening screech as a large spike made entirely of solidified shadows impaled the Shaden before it could reach Tilly, piercing its heart. Once the screech had ceased, the Shaden collapsed in front of her, the malevolent glow in its eyes fading as its last breath left it.

Callum took deep, shuddering breaths, staring at the creature and taking one step back. His legs began to shake violently as his head spun and his vision blurred further. He looked at Tilly to make sure she was safe, yet his knees buckled and caused him to collapse on his back. His eyes soon returned to the stormy grey color they had before, the shadows separating from his body and disintegrating in midair; he looked like his normal self again. Well, except for the gaping bite wound on his torso. He moaned and stared up at the night sky, focusing on every breath he took as if the next one could be his last.

The blood, it was warm. He felt the blood slide down his cheek and spill out of his mouth. He was soon laying in a puddle of the crimson liquid. The sensation was odd. He was most likely dying, yet the liquid felt warm and ticklish. Blood continued to seep from his wounds as his breaths became more shallow. Throbbing pain took his focus and trapped it, rendering him unable to focus on anything else but the nauseating pain. He tried to move his body. He hated the feeling of laying in a puddle of his own warm, sticky blood. He tried to speak Tilly's name, or at least utter the word "help".

But he couldn't do anything.

Weak. That was how he felt. He also felt heavy... too heavy. He couldn't lift his head an inch off of the ground to look at anything else. All he saw was the night sky, which now looked red in his vision, almost as if the sky itself was a river of blood up above. Everything hurt... everything. He felt sleepy, he realized. Maybe if he took a quick nap, he would be able to get some much needed rest. No... no! I can't go to sleep, that will be my death. No... I have to stay awake. I have to make sure Tilly is okay... Callum moaned quietly, weakly coughing. How am I not dead yet...? Ugh... the pain... it won't stop... why won't it stop...? Please... I just want it to end... please...
Callum swung his head in Tilly's direction, wondering why the heck she wasn't running away. No matter what reason it was, he obviously didn't want her to stick around and possibly get hurt. He yanked the Shaden's fur harder, even though the beast had already come to a stop about a yard away from Tilly and her horse, who looked scared out of its wits. "What are you doing!? Get out of here before you-!"

He didn't get to finish, for he let out a pained scream as the Shaden's jaws wrapped around his torso, sharp teeth sinking into his flesh. His shadowy form bristled further, tendrils automatically forming and wrapping around the Shaden to try and force it to the ground. However, those tendrils quickly dissipated as Callum was yanked off of the Shaden's back and slammed onto the ground. His hands twitched as spheres made of shadows formed in them. He tried to take aim, but before he knew what was happening, the bear lifted its head with Callum's body still in its jaws, suddenly shaking its head back and forth, flinging him about like he was just a child's toy. Callum's vision blurred almost instantly as he began seeing red, blood spurting out of his body. His arms were thrust forward by the force of the Shaden shaking him around, with the spheres still floating above them. Both spheres were accidentally launched at the Shaden; the first one flew right past it and hit a nearby tree, while the second one slammed into the Shaden's snout.

The Shaden roared and flung Callum roughly to the left, causing the latter to hit another nearby tree. He fell to the ground, feeling paralyzed, yet he squared his shoulders and pushed himself up. He shouldn't have been able to leave the ground. He was already tired from his confrontation with the light mage, but this was just making his condition worse. Adrenaline coursed through his veins as he grit his teeth and formed thicker tendrils of darkness. The tendrils wrapped tighter around the Shaden's limbs, keeping it mostly restrained. The beast roared hatefully and twisted its head to pierce Callum with its eyes alone. The Shaden tried to back away, yet Callum held firm, pulling on the tendrils to keep it rooted in place. However, he failed to see what the beast was actually trying to do.

The Shaden, strangely enough, had a wicked grin on its face just before it roared loudly and sprinted at Callum, claws outstretched. He just barely reacted, leaping to the side as the bear's weight bore down on the tree, causing it to fall down. However, as he moved out of the way, one of the Shaden's claws sliced deeply into his cheek, spilling more blood. Callum felt like he was on the brink of passing out, yet he was determined to finish the creature off before it moved on to Tilly. Just as the Shaden turned towards Tilly, growling before charging at her and her horse, Callum's eyes glowed a brighter orange than before as a death glare formed on his face. Just a few seconds after, something began to form in the shadows near the raging bear. The next thing he heard was a deafening screech as a large spike made entirely of solidified shadows impaled the Shaden before it could reach Tilly, piercing its heart. Once the screech had ceased, the Shaden collapsed in front of her, the malevolent glow in its eyes fading as its last breath left it.

Callum took deep, shuddering breaths, staring at the creature and taking one step back. His legs began to shake violently as his head spun and his vision blurred further. He looked at Tilly to make sure she was safe, yet his knees buckled and caused him to collapse on his back. His eyes soon returned to the stormy grey color they had before, the shadows separating from his body and disintegrating in midair; he looked like his normal self again. Well, except for the gaping bite wound on his torso. He moaned and stared up at the night sky, focusing on every breath he took as if the next one could be his last.

The blood, it was warm. He felt the blood slide down his cheek and spill out of his mouth. He was soon laying in a puddle of the crimson liquid. The sensation was odd. He was most likely dying, yet the liquid felt warm and ticklish. Blood continued to seep from his wounds as his breaths became more shallow. Throbbing pain took his focus and trapped it, rendering him unable to focus on anything else but the nauseating pain. He tried to move his body. He hated the feeling of laying in a puddle of his own warm, sticky blood. He tried to speak Tilly's name, or at least utter the word "help".

But he couldn't do anything.

Weak. That was how he felt. He also felt heavy... too heavy. He couldn't lift his head an inch off of the ground to look at anything else. All he saw was the night sky, which now looked red in his vision, almost as if the sky itself was a river of blood up above. Everything hurt... everything. He felt sleepy, he realized. Maybe if he took a quick nap, he would be able to get some much needed rest. No... no! I can't go to sleep, that will be my death. No... I have to stay awake. I have to make sure Tilly is okay... Callum moaned quietly, weakly coughing. How am I not dead yet...? Ugh... the pain... it won't stop... why won't it stop...? Please... I just want it to end... please...
xk7ymDQ.png
1 2 3 4 5