Back

Raffles & Giveaways

Share your raffles and giveaways with the Flight Rising community.
TOPIC | [RAFFLE/GIVEAWAY] Scary Story Share
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 14
The Kirlian Frequency! It's on Neflix, (canadian, at least), and it's amazing. I'm not usually one for horror, but the animation style drew me in and i loved it. Takes an hour or so to watch it start to finish, and it's so worth it.
The Kirlian Frequency! It's on Neflix, (canadian, at least), and it's amazing. I'm not usually one for horror, but the animation style drew me in and i loved it. Takes an hour or so to watch it start to finish, and it's so worth it.
tumblr_obcrybYghZ1tfzajgo1_r1_500.gif
I'm tentatively recommending this book because I'm unsure if it counts, considering it's either a horror story or not depending on who you ask, but... House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski.
The book has multiple narrators that occasionally pop up with their own story, comments, footnotes (and footnotes of footnotes), which leaves you in the end with a book about an academic study about a film documentary that apparently doesn't exist. The film depicts a family moving in a new house that, they discover, is bigger in the inside than the outside. Initially a couple inches, but a LOT bigger by the end.
Honestly, it's a difficult book to summarize. And an interesting read if only to appreciate the deliberately weird formating.
I'm tentatively recommending this book because I'm unsure if it counts, considering it's either a horror story or not depending on who you ask, but... House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski.
The book has multiple narrators that occasionally pop up with their own story, comments, footnotes (and footnotes of footnotes), which leaves you in the end with a book about an academic study about a film documentary that apparently doesn't exist. The film depicts a family moving in a new house that, they discover, is bigger in the inside than the outside. Initially a couple inches, but a LOT bigger by the end.
Honestly, it's a difficult book to summarize. And an interesting read if only to appreciate the deliberately weird formating.
pCxMRnd.gif 9INKMbn.png Plentiful-Meat.png VEvBB7l.pngKp99Tes.png
Today's recommendation from me will be a bit different from the films and shows I've recommended. Instead, why not try out a classic tabletop RPG?

Perhaps you're not keen on the gore and jumpscares that are prevalent in visual horror media. Or scary video games aren't your style. Maybe you really love D&D and want to explore more of the world of tabletop RPGs. Either way, why not delve into a perilous adventure of your own making?

Call of Cthulthu (Tabletop RPG)

Call of Cthulhu is a tabletop rpg that is run in a similar manner to Dungeons and Dragons, by a game master. The game master in Call of Cthulthu, rather than being a DM, is called the Keeper. Player characters are known as the Investigators. Playing as either the Keeper or an Investigator in CoC is very rewarding. The Keeper's job is to weave together the world the Investigators themselves in and frightening adventure they must undertake. Call of Cthulhu takes inspiration from the works of HP Lovecraft, pitting player characters against the monstrous creatures in his works.

The Keeper can create a campaign from scratch, using the information that's presented in the Keeper's Rulebook. This book also has the information that is necessary for creating Investigators. There is also, of course, the Investigator's Handbook for more in depth detail about creating your character. Are you a practiced DM but unsure how to create a campaign for CoC? Or new to being a Game Master altogether? Well, Call of Cthulthu offers several premade campaigns that you can run and alter as you please! Take off a bit of the pressure of creating every detail, and practice getting a handle on game mechanics.
Which brings me to:
Game mechanics! Like D&D, CoC is all based on the roll of the dice. You roll to find values of several stats your Investigator will start with, and depending on how lucky your dice are (or how nice your Keeper is), you have a nice little stack of points to spend to improve various skills, from occult knowlege to law, from persuasion to first aid. What skills do you choose to improve? Well, what you can put points into depends on your Occupation. Think like Classes in D&D. You can be a Journalist investigating a series of mysterious disappearances, a Deep Sea Diver who encountered a strange man with bulging eyes and what may have been gills, an Antiquarian who came into possession of a strange relic. All of these occupations have skills that are their strengths, but not to worry! You are still able to improve any skill, whether or not it's a strength of your Occupation, so at least some degree. After all, perhaps when you you aren't busy at your bank job, you research everything you can about the occult.

While many tabletop players are accustomed to using the 20 sided die to decide the fate of their adventures, CoC is based heavily in using the d100, or 100 sided die. Well, d100s are actually pretty difficult to use and not all that practical, so we use a d10 and a percentile die. Standard tabletop dice sets include a percentile die. That weird second d10 with sides labeled 00, 10, 20, etc? That's it! Roll both of the dice at once, and use the percentile as the tens place and the d10 as the ones place. So a roll of 7 and 20 would be a 27! The exception is the roll of 0 and 00, which is a 100.
In D&D, rolling high numbers usually means good things coming your way. In CoC, the opposite is true. Where a "Natural 1" is the worst roll and critical failure in Dungeons and Dragons, in Call of Cthulhu it's a critical success! Rolling a 100, on the other hand, makes things look grim. Still, there is hope! In CoC you have the ability to "push a roll," which gives you the chance to reroll, so long as the Keeper agrees. Be warned, as failing a pushed roll will attract consequences even more dire than before.

Call of Cthulthu was the third ever tabletop I've played, and the first that I've been GM for. I always have a ton of fun with it. All materials are sold on the Chaosium website.
And listen, we know that HP Lovecraft was not at all good at being a decent human being, but he's long dead and never getting royalties from his works again. I believe personally that there is no better way to ensure he is rolling in his grave than by rubbing my little queer hands all over his life's work. Your creepy monsters are better than you, dude.

Today's recommendation from me will be a bit different from the films and shows I've recommended. Instead, why not try out a classic tabletop RPG?

Perhaps you're not keen on the gore and jumpscares that are prevalent in visual horror media. Or scary video games aren't your style. Maybe you really love D&D and want to explore more of the world of tabletop RPGs. Either way, why not delve into a perilous adventure of your own making?

Call of Cthulthu (Tabletop RPG)

Call of Cthulhu is a tabletop rpg that is run in a similar manner to Dungeons and Dragons, by a game master. The game master in Call of Cthulthu, rather than being a DM, is called the Keeper. Player characters are known as the Investigators. Playing as either the Keeper or an Investigator in CoC is very rewarding. The Keeper's job is to weave together the world the Investigators themselves in and frightening adventure they must undertake. Call of Cthulhu takes inspiration from the works of HP Lovecraft, pitting player characters against the monstrous creatures in his works.

The Keeper can create a campaign from scratch, using the information that's presented in the Keeper's Rulebook. This book also has the information that is necessary for creating Investigators. There is also, of course, the Investigator's Handbook for more in depth detail about creating your character. Are you a practiced DM but unsure how to create a campaign for CoC? Or new to being a Game Master altogether? Well, Call of Cthulthu offers several premade campaigns that you can run and alter as you please! Take off a bit of the pressure of creating every detail, and practice getting a handle on game mechanics.
Which brings me to:
Game mechanics! Like D&D, CoC is all based on the roll of the dice. You roll to find values of several stats your Investigator will start with, and depending on how lucky your dice are (or how nice your Keeper is), you have a nice little stack of points to spend to improve various skills, from occult knowlege to law, from persuasion to first aid. What skills do you choose to improve? Well, what you can put points into depends on your Occupation. Think like Classes in D&D. You can be a Journalist investigating a series of mysterious disappearances, a Deep Sea Diver who encountered a strange man with bulging eyes and what may have been gills, an Antiquarian who came into possession of a strange relic. All of these occupations have skills that are their strengths, but not to worry! You are still able to improve any skill, whether or not it's a strength of your Occupation, so at least some degree. After all, perhaps when you you aren't busy at your bank job, you research everything you can about the occult.

While many tabletop players are accustomed to using the 20 sided die to decide the fate of their adventures, CoC is based heavily in using the d100, or 100 sided die. Well, d100s are actually pretty difficult to use and not all that practical, so we use a d10 and a percentile die. Standard tabletop dice sets include a percentile die. That weird second d10 with sides labeled 00, 10, 20, etc? That's it! Roll both of the dice at once, and use the percentile as the tens place and the d10 as the ones place. So a roll of 7 and 20 would be a 27! The exception is the roll of 0 and 00, which is a 100.
In D&D, rolling high numbers usually means good things coming your way. In CoC, the opposite is true. Where a "Natural 1" is the worst roll and critical failure in Dungeons and Dragons, in Call of Cthulhu it's a critical success! Rolling a 100, on the other hand, makes things look grim. Still, there is hope! In CoC you have the ability to "push a roll," which gives you the chance to reroll, so long as the Keeper agrees. Be warned, as failing a pushed roll will attract consequences even more dire than before.

Call of Cthulthu was the third ever tabletop I've played, and the first that I've been GM for. I always have a ton of fun with it. All materials are sold on the Chaosium website.
And listen, we know that HP Lovecraft was not at all good at being a decent human being, but he's long dead and never getting royalties from his works again. I believe personally that there is no better way to ensure he is rolling in his grave than by rubbing my little queer hands all over his life's work. Your creepy monsters are better than you, dude.

oh no, that's so much longer than i thought it was. im so sorry. rip
oh no, that's so much longer than i thought it was. im so sorry. rip
@daniellefaye
Practice!! A lot of the things I recommended have japanese origins, so you could always try out the original if you'd like more practice!! The fatal frame game I recommended too you could play/watch in japanese w/ an english disc so the dialogue is in english but the voice acting is not. (Granted the voice acting of the ghosts is always in japanese and extremely haunting once you start to understand what they're saying LOL) ((I'M SORRY I REPLY HERE I JUST. I'M STUDYING TOO SO I WAS EXCITE)) ANYWAY

As far as japanese horror goes, Junji Ito is literally The Worst. He worked on Silent Hill 2?? And makes manga for a living and he's just all around terrible. (I think ppl likened him to the japanese stephen king?) his absolutely horrifying style never ceases to make your skin crawl. Don't get me wrong, I love his style to death. It's beautiful, but he somehow knows just how to draw to make someone uncomfortable. From land-sharks to pus-babies, he's definitely got a story that's going to make you wish you had never heard of it or bothered to lay eyes on the cover. He does do a lot of body horror, though he was genuinely surprised when his works were called as such.

Besides his more popular works, most of his stories are short stories compiled into a single volume. I'll link you to the single most disturbing one I ever read, that still messes me up to this day. Like I mean LITERALLY makes me not want to go to sleep. Like ever.
Long Dream and my partner just informed me in a frantic stupor that this person is exactly where they read it too, so they have more Junji Ito if you're interested after taking a peek.

Edited out my over-excited explanations! <3
@daniellefaye
Practice!! A lot of the things I recommended have japanese origins, so you could always try out the original if you'd like more practice!! The fatal frame game I recommended too you could play/watch in japanese w/ an english disc so the dialogue is in english but the voice acting is not. (Granted the voice acting of the ghosts is always in japanese and extremely haunting once you start to understand what they're saying LOL) ((I'M SORRY I REPLY HERE I JUST. I'M STUDYING TOO SO I WAS EXCITE)) ANYWAY

As far as japanese horror goes, Junji Ito is literally The Worst. He worked on Silent Hill 2?? And makes manga for a living and he's just all around terrible. (I think ppl likened him to the japanese stephen king?) his absolutely horrifying style never ceases to make your skin crawl. Don't get me wrong, I love his style to death. It's beautiful, but he somehow knows just how to draw to make someone uncomfortable. From land-sharks to pus-babies, he's definitely got a story that's going to make you wish you had never heard of it or bothered to lay eyes on the cover. He does do a lot of body horror, though he was genuinely surprised when his works were called as such.

Besides his more popular works, most of his stories are short stories compiled into a single volume. I'll link you to the single most disturbing one I ever read, that still messes me up to this day. Like I mean LITERALLY makes me not want to go to sleep. Like ever.
Long Dream and my partner just informed me in a frantic stupor that this person is exactly where they read it too, so they have more Junji Ito if you're interested after taking a peek.

Edited out my over-excited explanations! <3
E9E8F185-9CF8-4F34-AA43-E225D87767C5.png FR+0 / Fluid
Art shop
Adoptables shop
LF dergs thread
Alright, my next recommendation is an anime I just recently watched, and I loved it.

Juni Taisen: Zodiac War

Let me preface this with the usual content warnings for violence and gore and death. It's a horror anime for sure.

Every 12 years, a battle to the death between the fiercest clans of mercenaries is held in a giant vacant city. For some, participating in the Taisen is an honored family tradition. For others, it is a chance to achieve their life long dream. You see, in this world some individuals possess amazing skills, and the prize given to the Taisen's victor? A wish. Any wish they desire, granted.

Each of the fighters in the Taisen possess one of these special abilities. They are also given a name for one of the animals of the Chinese zodiac. Each episode is told from the point of view of a different mercenary in the Taisen, and a significant portion of the show is told through flashbacks that help explain the characters' motives and reason for being in the Taisen, their fighting styles, and their personalities.

I don't want to spoil too much of the plot, but the Taisen, already a battle to the death, has circumstances that become somehow even more dire.

It's a great plot and the anime is well paced and captivating. I ended up watching the entire series in one sitting.
Alright, my next recommendation is an anime I just recently watched, and I loved it.

Juni Taisen: Zodiac War

Let me preface this with the usual content warnings for violence and gore and death. It's a horror anime for sure.

Every 12 years, a battle to the death between the fiercest clans of mercenaries is held in a giant vacant city. For some, participating in the Taisen is an honored family tradition. For others, it is a chance to achieve their life long dream. You see, in this world some individuals possess amazing skills, and the prize given to the Taisen's victor? A wish. Any wish they desire, granted.

Each of the fighters in the Taisen possess one of these special abilities. They are also given a name for one of the animals of the Chinese zodiac. Each episode is told from the point of view of a different mercenary in the Taisen, and a significant portion of the show is told through flashbacks that help explain the characters' motives and reason for being in the Taisen, their fighting styles, and their personalities.

I don't want to spoil too much of the plot, but the Taisen, already a battle to the death, has circumstances that become somehow even more dire.

It's a great plot and the anime is well paced and captivating. I ended up watching the entire series in one sitting.
@Linhardt I really like your commentary and your suggestions! And I do like some Junji Ito! (Tomie is so good!)

But I do want to say here to just let everyone know that there's a lot of October yet and it's okay - and preferred - to just select one work by an author so that you can suggest more from them later or others can play off that suggestion.

I don't want people to run out of ideas because they feel they have to suggest "the collected works of Bob McHorrorwriter."
@Linhardt I really like your commentary and your suggestions! And I do like some Junji Ito! (Tomie is so good!)

But I do want to say here to just let everyone know that there's a lot of October yet and it's okay - and preferred - to just select one work by an author so that you can suggest more from them later or others can play off that suggestion.

I don't want people to run out of ideas because they feel they have to suggest "the collected works of Bob McHorrorwriter."
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1730?fbclid=IwAR12xrIKIoNU-m3zwgUhB_yqAPexjVnD3ScpbDN4--DWQfuM9sW7NGg6bTg
this SCP is really long, but it's also one of the best i've ever read. Even if you don't know anything about SCPs, i'd still recomend it.
http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1730?fbclid=IwAR12xrIKIoNU-m3zwgUhB_yqAPexjVnD3ScpbDN4--DWQfuM9sW7NGg6bTg
this SCP is really long, but it's also one of the best i've ever read. Even if you don't know anything about SCPs, i'd still recomend it.
tumblr_obcrybYghZ1tfzajgo1_r1_500.gif
Well, I have perhaps an obvious one, and I doubt I'm more convincing then Netflixs marketing, but anyway... Marianne. Netflix serie, obviously. Only watched the first three episodes and I have no plans to watch the rest. It was really good and they managed to get the world's scariest grandma to play the witch. So if you haven't seen it yet, check it out.
Ah, plot. A very succefull writer publishes her last book in a horror series about a witch named Marianne, which she started to write to stop nightmares she's had since childhood. When she finishes, the nightmares come back, together with a childhood friend that says that her elderly mother is now claiming to be Marianne, and she wants the writer to continue writing. And to come back to their town, I believe. Sorry about the messy summary. This one kinda got to me, to be honest.
Well, I have perhaps an obvious one, and I doubt I'm more convincing then Netflixs marketing, but anyway... Marianne. Netflix serie, obviously. Only watched the first three episodes and I have no plans to watch the rest. It was really good and they managed to get the world's scariest grandma to play the witch. So if you haven't seen it yet, check it out.
Ah, plot. A very succefull writer publishes her last book in a horror series about a witch named Marianne, which she started to write to stop nightmares she's had since childhood. When she finishes, the nightmares come back, together with a childhood friend that says that her elderly mother is now claiming to be Marianne, and she wants the writer to continue writing. And to come back to their town, I believe. Sorry about the messy summary. This one kinda got to me, to be honest.
pCxMRnd.gif 9INKMbn.png Plentiful-Meat.png VEvBB7l.pngKp99Tes.png
Fixed my last suggestion! <3

Today I want to take a moment to suggest a horror game that a lot of people overlook because of the huge reception it got when it first came out. Five Nights at Freddy's is really great when you think of the origins, which is just that the creator made a childrens game and got a lot of hate for his (bible) game because the characters he made for it looked really scary. He almost gave up doing games, ever, but came back to it later and took his "scary" characters and straight up made a horror game and said "Fine, there you go."

The premise is that you take a job as a night-time security at a pizzeria, your job is to look at the cameras and make sure nothing weird happens until the end of your shift at 6am. You were told that the animatronics used for the establishment sometimes wander around, but otherwise they're harmless....just, keep an eye on them and should they come to your room just shut the doors. They probably just think you're a kid that needs to be entertained.....right?? Right!!
Available on Steam

@Asphoxia
I was looking through the list and almost spit out my drink because I had to lay my eyes on Jad's name. smh. My partner was actually in that ARG, as weird as that sounds. It was so surreal to meet someone, then down the line they're just like "Yeah I was in that creepypasta" LMAO and the unrelenting resentment they feel toward Jad for breaking the fourth wall and asking for donations to keep the ARG up, only to...not continue it. ANYWAY hi lmao
Fixed my last suggestion! <3

Today I want to take a moment to suggest a horror game that a lot of people overlook because of the huge reception it got when it first came out. Five Nights at Freddy's is really great when you think of the origins, which is just that the creator made a childrens game and got a lot of hate for his (bible) game because the characters he made for it looked really scary. He almost gave up doing games, ever, but came back to it later and took his "scary" characters and straight up made a horror game and said "Fine, there you go."

The premise is that you take a job as a night-time security at a pizzeria, your job is to look at the cameras and make sure nothing weird happens until the end of your shift at 6am. You were told that the animatronics used for the establishment sometimes wander around, but otherwise they're harmless....just, keep an eye on them and should they come to your room just shut the doors. They probably just think you're a kid that needs to be entertained.....right?? Right!!
Available on Steam

@Asphoxia
I was looking through the list and almost spit out my drink because I had to lay my eyes on Jad's name. smh. My partner was actually in that ARG, as weird as that sounds. It was so surreal to meet someone, then down the line they're just like "Yeah I was in that creepypasta" LMAO and the unrelenting resentment they feel toward Jad for breaking the fourth wall and asking for donations to keep the ARG up, only to...not continue it. ANYWAY hi lmao
E9E8F185-9CF8-4F34-AA43-E225D87767C5.png FR+0 / Fluid
Art shop
Adoptables shop
LF dergs thread
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13 14