Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [SFC] The Arcanist's Lorebook
1 2 3 4 5 6
[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/BjVkwbL.png[/img][/center] [center][size=5][u]Prologue[/u][/size][/center] [i]The Observatory is more book than building these days, with sprawling libraries tucked away behind even the most unobtrusive doors. Bookshelves line the walls, crowded and overflowing with tomes both ancient and modern. The Arcanist has been troubled recently, and it shows in the way that his once prim organisational system has been seemingly left to rot. Books have been flung across the floor, and others are stacked into meters-high piles, towering over the Fae workers in the upper echelon of the Arcanist's personal staff. It's the moons that are causing the issue. As much as the Arcanist trusts in his disciples- his children- he fears for them in equal measure. Had it not been his own stargazing that had caused the re-emergence of the Shade? Arcanites are curious creatures, but that wasn't always the best thing for their health. Still, even he couldn't shake the feeling of wonder, the need to [b]know[/b] the truth beyond the reaches of their small blue planet. And now his dream could be somewhat realised- even under these strange circumstances. If all went as planned, his children's trip to the twin moons would go smoothly. But things very rarely went according to plan, didn't they? The Arcanist was struck by a sense of deja-vu, and he rushed towards one of the older books scattered around his multi-limbed form. It was faded and cracked, the years taking their toll on its pages, even despite the gentle care the Arcanist usually awarded to his possessions. Thumbing through it, the Arcanist paused on a page near the middle- the beginning of a series of diary entries from the book's former owner. One of nine children who had turned to stardust.[/i] [b]To be continued...[/b]
BjVkwbL.png
Prologue

The Observatory is more book than building these days, with sprawling libraries tucked away behind even the most unobtrusive doors. Bookshelves line the walls, crowded and overflowing with tomes both ancient and modern. The Arcanist has been troubled recently, and it shows in the way that his once prim organisational system has been seemingly left to rot. Books have been flung across the floor, and others are stacked into meters-high piles, towering over the Fae workers in the upper echelon of the Arcanist's personal staff.

It's the moons that are causing the issue. As much as the Arcanist trusts in his disciples- his children- he fears for them in equal measure. Had it not been his own stargazing that had caused the re-emergence of the Shade? Arcanites are curious creatures, but that wasn't always the best thing for their health. Still, even he couldn't shake the feeling of wonder, the need to know the truth beyond the reaches of their small blue planet. And now his dream could be somewhat realised- even under these strange circumstances.

If all went as planned, his children's trip to the twin moons would go smoothly. But things very rarely went according to plan, didn't they? The Arcanist was struck by a sense of deja-vu, and he rushed towards one of the older books scattered around his multi-limbed form. It was faded and cracked, the years taking their toll on its pages, even despite the gentle care the Arcanist usually awarded to his possessions. Thumbing through it, the Arcanist paused on a page near the middle- the beginning of a series of diary entries from the book's former owner.

One of nine children who had turned to stardust.

To be continued...
tumblr_puyi19gS0K1ta9vl4o9_r1_500.png
tumblr_puyi19gS0K1ta9vl4o10_r1_500.png
tumblr_puyi19gS0K1ta9vl4o7_r1_500.png
tumblr_puyi19gS0K1ta9vl4o8_r1_500.png
[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/Vu3xGBW.png[/img][/center] Welcome to the Arcanist's Lorebook! This event will be running during the week of Starfall, from [b]September 22 - 28.[/b] Each day, a prompt dragon will be provided, complete with an outfit and a familiar. It's up to [i]you[/i] to provide that dragon with lore or a biography you feel suits them and the story! The winning entry will receive that dragon, along with their outfit, familiar, etc. as their prize. Winners of each dragon- as well as grand prize winners- will only be announced on the day after the event concludes. [u]Rules:[/u] [LIST] [*]Each entry must be 500 - 1500 words long, no more, no less. I will be using a wordcounter to check this, so make sure to keep within the limit! [*]One entry per dragon. If you are unsatisfied with your entry, delete it before time is up and re-post the entry. This includes typo-ed entries, etc. You may NOT edit your original entry. All edited posts will be disqualified. [*]Do not join this event if you do not have lairspace for at [i]least[/i] one more dragon to enter your lair. I will not hold dragons for you, and if you do not have the space to receive them, they will go to a second-place winner instead. [*]Submit your entries between 3 AM game time and 11:59 PM game time. Entries submitted before or after these times will be automatically disqualified. [*]Keep entries to one per post. [*]Tag me in each entry. I am subscribed to this thread, but double-pinging me allows me to seperate the entries from thread comments. [*]If you are not satisfied with your grand prize, should you receive one, you are allowed to pick another prize pack to take its place- [i]if[/i] the recipient of that prize pack consents to trade with you. [*]Minor typos will not affect your score. Don't worry too much about grammar- although I would prefer everything be legible- just focus on the story aspect of the competition. [*]Most importantly- have fun! [/LIST]
Vu3xGBW.png

Welcome to the Arcanist's Lorebook! This event will be running during the week of Starfall, from September 22 - 28. Each day, a prompt dragon will be provided, complete with an outfit and a familiar. It's up to you to provide that dragon with lore or a biography you feel suits them and the story! The winning entry will receive that dragon, along with their outfit, familiar, etc. as their prize. Winners of each dragon- as well as grand prize winners- will only be announced on the day after the event concludes.

Rules:
  • Each entry must be 500 - 1500 words long, no more, no less. I will be using a wordcounter to check this, so make sure to keep within the limit!
  • One entry per dragon. If you are unsatisfied with your entry, delete it before time is up and re-post the entry. This includes typo-ed entries, etc. You may NOT edit your original entry. All edited posts will be disqualified.
  • Do not join this event if you do not have lairspace for at least one more dragon to enter your lair. I will not hold dragons for you, and if you do not have the space to receive them, they will go to a second-place winner instead.
  • Submit your entries between 3 AM game time and 11:59 PM game time. Entries submitted before or after these times will be automatically disqualified.
  • Keep entries to one per post.
  • Tag me in each entry. I am subscribed to this thread, but double-pinging me allows me to seperate the entries from thread comments.
  • If you are not satisfied with your grand prize, should you receive one, you are allowed to pick another prize pack to take its place- if the recipient of that prize pack consents to trade with you.
  • Minor typos will not affect your score. Don't worry too much about grammar- although I would prefer everything be legible- just focus on the story aspect of the competition.
  • Most importantly- have fun!
[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/T3lotQj.png[/img][/center] [center][font=century gothic][size=5][u]CHAPTER SEVEN: Ouranos and Neptune, the Lovers[/u][/size][/center] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=54597672] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/545977/54597672_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52412324] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/524124/52412324_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] [i]The Arcanist decides to read the next two stories- the last two he can muster the strength from- in tandem. These two children had found resolve and home in each other's souls, so it was natural that their diaries frequently overlapped, each scrawling text into the margins of the others'. Young love... the thought was strange to the Arcanist, who had never experienced something like the strange emotional whims that threaded through the lives of his children. But he knew familial love, washing over him in waves as he delved deep into his memories for the last time today.[/i] But what memories does the Arcanist hold in his stead? What words could have been scrawled in these two diaries? That is for you to decide. Ouranos and Neptune's stories are in your hands. Using these prompts ([b]Noble and Warrior Apparel,[/b] [b]Frosted and Satin Pocketmouse Familiars,[/b] [b]Lightning and Water Flights[/b], [b]title of "The Lovers"[/b]), write a story fitting of these long-lost dragons.
T3lotQj.png
CHAPTER SEVEN: Ouranos and Neptune, the Lovers

The Arcanist decides to read the next two stories- the last two he can muster the strength from- in tandem. These two children had found resolve and home in each other's souls, so it was natural that their diaries frequently overlapped, each scrawling text into the margins of the others'. Young love... the thought was strange to the Arcanist, who had never experienced something like the strange emotional whims that threaded through the lives of his children. But he knew familial love, washing over him in waves as he delved deep into his memories for the last time today.

But what memories does the Arcanist hold in his stead? What words could have been scrawled in these two diaries? That is for you to decide. Ouranos and Neptune's stories are in your hands.

Using these prompts (Noble and Warrior Apparel, Frosted and Satin Pocketmouse Familiars, Lightning and Water Flights, title of "The Lovers"), write a story fitting of these long-lost dragons.
[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/LhosGZF.png[/img][/center] Winners of each day will receive the associated DRAGON, FAMILIAR, and APPAREL ITEMS found on their page. Their lore will be formatted into the dragon's bio, a commendation of their writing efforts. Additionally, three [b]grand prizes[/b] will be awarded to first, second, and third place winners of the overall competition. I'm looking for those who have answered at least 5 of the prompts, with consistent quality and inventive storylines. The prize packs for these grand winners are listed below: [center][b]FIRST PRIZE: The Forgotten Planet[/b][/center] [center][url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=54828420] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/548285/54828420_350.png[/img] [/url][/center] An XXX permababy Nocturne (Named "Pluto") with full gem genes and a festival familiar (Spirit of Shadow). You will be given the chance to write lore for this dragon, but if you'd rather not to, lore will be provided by myself. [center][b]SECOND PRIZE: A Fae-ted Meeting[/b][/center] [center][skin=17485] [skin=19715] [item=Breed Change: Fae] [skin=24266] [skin=19726][/center] Several skins for Fae dragons (most of them being cycled-out Festival Skins), as well as a Fae breed change. [center][b]THIRD PRIZE: Spacedad's Party Favours[/b][/center] [center][item=Vista: Starfall Celebration] [item=Starlight Cloak] [item=Exotic Arcanist Idol] [item=Spirit of the Arcane] [item=Vista: Arcanist][/center] Festival items (as well as a plush idol) from previous Starfall Celebrations. The first-place winner will be given [b]first choice[/b] of these three prize packs, with the second-place winner being given a choice between the remaining two, and the third place winner receiving the last prize pack.
LhosGZF.png

Winners of each day will receive the associated DRAGON, FAMILIAR, and APPAREL ITEMS found on their page. Their lore will be formatted into the dragon's bio, a commendation of their writing efforts.

Additionally, three grand prizes will be awarded to first, second, and third place winners of the overall competition. I'm looking for those who have answered at least 5 of the prompts, with consistent quality and inventive storylines. The prize packs for these grand winners are listed below:
FIRST PRIZE: The Forgotten Planet

An XXX permababy Nocturne (Named "Pluto") with full gem genes and a festival familiar (Spirit of Shadow). You will be given the chance to write lore for this dragon, but if you'd rather not to, lore will be provided by myself.
SECOND PRIZE: A Fae-ted Meeting
Breed Change: Fae

Several skins for Fae dragons (most of them being cycled-out Festival Skins), as well as a Fae breed change.
THIRD PRIZE: Spacedad's Party Favours
Vista: Starfall Celebration Starlight Cloak Exotic Arcanist Idol Spirit of the Arcane Vista: Arcanist

Festival items (as well as a plush idol) from previous Starfall Celebrations.

The first-place winner will be given first choice of these three prize packs, with the second-place winner being given a choice between the remaining two, and the third place winner receiving the last prize pack.
[center][img]https://i.imgur.com/YSiVIcE.png[/img][/center] [center]@ThePlasticTree, @Onceler, @shoujo, @Watercolour, @Pufferheart, @Disillusionist, @Nrogara, @LoversMasque, @Salteas[/center] [center]Ask to be added to the pinglist! (Do not ping the thread, simply comment. Only ping me for challenge entries.)[/center]
YSiVIcE.png
Ask to be added to the pinglist! (Do not ping the thread, simply comment. Only ping me for challenge entries.)
Graphics credit goes to @Lee! Thank you so much to everyone in Arcane who helped crowdfund the prizes, I couldn't have done this without you. <3
Graphics credit goes to @Lee! Thank you so much to everyone in Arcane who helped crowdfund the prizes, I couldn't have done this without you. <3
-.-
-.-
-.-
-.-