Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [GG] Cooking Contest!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
@Kvon You do not have to use the ingredients listed on the Stardew Valley wiki page; they are just a guideline. It's hard to make an omelet without eggs! But you can add whatever you like as long as it's still an omelet: cheese, peppers, bacon...
@Kvon You do not have to use the ingredients listed on the Stardew Valley wiki page; they are just a guideline. It's hard to make an omelet without eggs! But you can add whatever you like as long as it's still an omelet: cheese, peppers, bacon...
1fTWTjV.png
[center][font="Segoe UI"][size=7][b][color=#498732]Ev[/color][color=#376824]er[/color][color=#2E591D]blo[/color][color=#19330F]om[/color] [color=#498732]V[/color][color=#376824]a[/color][color=#2E591D]l[/color][color=#19330F]e[/color] [color=#498732]Be[/color][color=#376824]n[/color][color=#19330F]to[/color][/b][/size][/font][/center] [center][img]https://i.imgur.com/E8DT9sY.png[/img][/center] [center][url=https://imgur.com/v0uUSzg]- Full size link -[/url][/center] [size=4] The Everbloom Vale Bento combines three dishes in the [url=https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Cooking#Recipes]original recipe list[/url]: Omelet, Stir Fry, and Maki Roll. Every ingredient in the original recipes has been used to prepare the respective sections of the bento box, and accompanying ingredients have been chosen to build an oriental flavor profile that harmonizes with each portion of the meal. The overall result is a light, balanced meal with a generous helping of vegetables and ingredients with enough body to satisfy the palette. [font="Segoe UI"][size=5][b][color=#2E591D]Omelet[/color][/b][/size][/font] [img]https://i.imgur.com/gkLUxDx.png[/img] Original recipe: Egg, Milk [color=#2E591D][b][u]Adapted Recipe[/u][/b][/color] The omelet for the bento is prepared tamagoyaki-style. The ingredients are as follows: 2 eggs 1/2 tbsp milk 1/2 tbsp mirin 1/4 tbsp sugar 1/4 tbsp soy sauce 1/8 tsp salt Cooking oil 1. Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them. 2. Stir in the mirin, soy sauce, sugar, and salt until the mixture becomes even. The color of the omelet will mostly be affected by the ratio of the egg to the soy sauce, so depending on your color preferences, you could modify the relative amount of soy sauce and salt. For a yellower omelet, you need less soy sauce. (The base color of your egg yolk also matters.) 3. Coat a medium-to-large skillet with oil and heat it with a medium-low fire. When the desired base temperature is reached, prepare to add the egg. 4. Spoon a small portion of the egg in roughly a straight line along one side of the skillet. (You will be folding each of these layers onto each other in separate steps.) Let the bottom of the egg cook enough to solidify and slide easily on the skillet, but you don't want the top part of the egg to become too cooked. 5. Once your egg layer is ready, push it to one side, then spoon more egg into the skillet. The new egg should attach to the old part of the egg. Once it's cooked enough on the bottom but not too cooked on the top, fold the old layer onto the new layer. 6. Continually add and fold new layers of egg step by step, adding oil to the skillet if needed. You don't want the bottom of the egg to get stuck. 7. Once the egg mixture has been used up, you should be done folding the omelet. Set it aside and allow it to cool a little, then cut cleanly into the roll with a sharp knife. The exact thickness of each piece is up to preference. [font="Segoe UI"][size=5][b][color=#2E591D]Stir Fry[/color][/b][/size][/font] [img]https://i.imgur.com/si0jEWd.png[/img] Original recipe: Cave Carrot, Common Mushroom, Kale, Oil [color=#2E591D][b][u]Adapted Recipe[/u][/b][/color] 1 carrot 1/2 cup fresh shiitake mushrooms 1 cup kale 2 cloves garlic A pinch of salt Sesame oil * * Sesame oil is deliberately selected to add the desired flavor profile to the stir fry. However, if allergies or preference dictate, you may substitute for a different kind of oil. 1. Wash all of the vegetables thoroughly. 2. Chop the garlic into fine bits. 3. Julienne the carrot into thin strips. 4. Slice the shiitake mushrooms. 5. Chop the kale leaves, getting rid of extra stem at the ends. (You can use the stems for a different meal if you'd like.) 6. Heat the sesame oil in a skillet. 7. Once the oil is sufficiently heated, add the garlic and stir until it becomes aromatic. 8. Add the carrot strips and shiitake mushrooms. They need to cook slightly longer than the kale to get the rawness out. Depending on how much carrot you want in your stir fry, you may choose to withhold some of it. 9. Add a pinch of salt to taste and stir it in evenly. 10. Once the carrot and mushrooms have had a sufficient headstart, stir in the kale and cook only until the rawness is gone, leaving it still reasonably fresh and crunchy. 11. Remove and set aside. [font="Segoe UI"][size=5][b][color=#2E591D]Maki Roll[/color][/b][/size][/font] [img]https://i.imgur.com/V2ar0iW.png[/img] Original recipe: Any Fish, Seaweed, Rice [color=#2E591D][b][u]Adapted Recipe[/u][/b][/color] Nori seaweed sheets 1 cup raw sushi rice Water for steaming 1 tbsp rice vinegar 1 tbsp sugar 1/8 tsp salt Fresh, good quality salmon * Takuan ** Cucumber * Salmon was chosen for this side dish due to its taste, fattiness, and color. It is very, very important that the salmon is fresh and that you clean it properly. If you are not confident in the quality or cleanliness of your salmon, [i]do not consume it raw[/i]. You may contract a foodborne illness. Please substitute the raw salmon for a cooked ingredient if you have to. ** Takuan is a Japanese pickled daikon that turns a bright yellow during its pickling process. It was chosen for its color, texture, and ability to balance the flavor with the fatty salmon. However, it may sometimes be difficult for you to get a hold of takuan. If that is the case, you may substitute it for fresh yellow bell pepper, but be aware that the taste will not be the same. Yellow bell pepper has a similar color to takuan and its water content gives it a satisfying crunchy texture. When raw, it has a "fresh kick"; if you like this flavor, you may leave it raw, but if you want to get closer to the intended acidity for balancing with the salmon, you may pre-soak the bell pepper strips in a vinegar and sugar mixture, then lightly stir fry them before adding them to the maki roll. 1. Steam the sushi rice. 2. When the rice is ready and still warm, mix it evenly with the vinegar, sugar, and salt. 3. Remove the skin from the cucumber and slice it into thin strips, making them as long as possible. 4. Slice the takuan into thin strips, making them as long as possible. 5. Make sure that the salmon is thoroughly clean. Slice salmon strips about half an inch thick, making them as long as possible. 6. Lay out the nori sheet. It would be nice if you have a sushi roller, but otherwise just prepare a flat surface. 7. Pick the side of the sheet where you will begin the maki roll. Spoon and spread a thin layer of seasoned sushi rice starting from this side and almost all the way to the end of the other side, but [i]do not fill the nori sheet with rice the entire way[/i]. Leave about an inch of the nori sheet on the opposite side empty. This will allow you to complete the roll cleanly. 8. Carefully place your ingredient strips along the edge of the sheet that you chose. You need to pack them together tightly so that there are no visible holes in the middle of the roll. You want one of each ingredient strip in each section of the roll. If your cucumber, takuan, or salmon strips are not long enough to fill the length of one roll, that is ok. You may need to use multiple strips. Try to line the repeated strips up such that the gaps for each ingredient all coincide at the same point(s) so that when cutting, you minimize the amount of "ugly" pieces. 9. Begin rolling your maki roll little by little, making sure to keep the ingredients bound together as compactly as possible. Once you get to the end of the nori sheet, it should close cleanly without any leftover rice hanging out of the edges. 10. Slice the maki roll into pieces with a very sharp knife. Cut as cleanly as you can; you don't want jagged edges or a misshapen roll from squeezing too hard. Some of your pieces will be inevitably ugly, such as the pieces at the very edge or the parts where you had to make multiple ingredient strips meet due to not having single long strips. Just eat those pieces yourself. [font="Segoe UI"][size=5][b][color=#2E591D]Extras[/color][/b][/size][/font] Steam your rice of choice to serve with the bento. Fragrant rice like jasmine works well, as do puffy medium-grain Japanese varieties. Brew your tea of choice to serve with the bento. The tea in this entry is matcha. You may include extra soy sauce as pictured in this entry, but it is not necessary. [font="Segoe UI"][size=5][b][color=#2E591D]Setting the bento[/color][/b][/size][/font] Depending on the setup of your bento box, you may have to set different portions of the meal in different sections. The largest section is usually reserved for the rice. For the pictured bento, the vegetable stir fry goes in the L-shaped compartment since the veggies are the most flexible shape-wise. Bring out your favorite chopsticks, serve with your hot tea of choice, and enjoy! Happy Greenskeeper Gathering. :) [/size]
Everbloom Vale Bento
E8DT9sY.png

The Everbloom Vale Bento combines three dishes in the original recipe list: Omelet, Stir Fry, and Maki Roll. Every ingredient in the original recipes has been used to prepare the respective sections of the bento box, and accompanying ingredients have been chosen to build an oriental flavor profile that harmonizes with each portion of the meal.

The overall result is a light, balanced meal with a generous helping of vegetables and ingredients with enough body to satisfy the palette.

Omelet

gkLUxDx.png

Original recipe: Egg, Milk

Adapted Recipe

The omelet for the bento is prepared tamagoyaki-style. The ingredients are as follows:

2 eggs
1/2 tbsp milk
1/2 tbsp mirin
1/4 tbsp sugar
1/4 tbsp soy sauce
1/8 tsp salt
Cooking oil

1. Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat them.

2. Stir in the mirin, soy sauce, sugar, and salt until the mixture becomes even.

The color of the omelet will mostly be affected by the ratio of the egg to the soy sauce, so depending on your color preferences, you could modify the relative amount of soy sauce and salt. For a yellower omelet, you need less soy sauce. (The base color of your egg yolk also matters.)

3. Coat a medium-to-large skillet with oil and heat it with a medium-low fire. When the desired base temperature is reached, prepare to add the egg.

4. Spoon a small portion of the egg in roughly a straight line along one side of the skillet. (You will be folding each of these layers onto each other in separate steps.) Let the bottom of the egg cook enough to solidify and slide easily on the skillet, but you don't want the top part of the egg to become too cooked.

5. Once your egg layer is ready, push it to one side, then spoon more egg into the skillet. The new egg should attach to the old part of the egg. Once it's cooked enough on the bottom but not too cooked on the top, fold the old layer onto the new layer.

6. Continually add and fold new layers of egg step by step, adding oil to the skillet if needed. You don't want the bottom of the egg to get stuck.

7. Once the egg mixture has been used up, you should be done folding the omelet. Set it aside and allow it to cool a little, then cut cleanly into the roll with a sharp knife. The exact thickness of each piece is up to preference.

Stir Fry
si0jEWd.png

Original recipe: Cave Carrot, Common Mushroom, Kale, Oil

Adapted Recipe

1 carrot
1/2 cup fresh shiitake mushrooms
1 cup kale
2 cloves garlic
A pinch of salt
Sesame oil *

* Sesame oil is deliberately selected to add the desired flavor profile to the stir fry. However, if allergies or preference dictate, you may substitute for a different kind of oil.

1. Wash all of the vegetables thoroughly.

2. Chop the garlic into fine bits.

3. Julienne the carrot into thin strips.

4. Slice the shiitake mushrooms.

5. Chop the kale leaves, getting rid of extra stem at the ends. (You can use the stems for a different meal if you'd like.)

6. Heat the sesame oil in a skillet.

7. Once the oil is sufficiently heated, add the garlic and stir until it becomes aromatic.

8. Add the carrot strips and shiitake mushrooms. They need to cook slightly longer than the kale to get the rawness out. Depending on how much carrot you want in your stir fry, you may choose to withhold some of it.

9. Add a pinch of salt to taste and stir it in evenly.

10. Once the carrot and mushrooms have had a sufficient headstart, stir in the kale and cook only until the rawness is gone, leaving it still reasonably fresh and crunchy.

11. Remove and set aside.

Maki Roll
V2ar0iW.png

Original recipe: Any Fish, Seaweed, Rice

Adapted Recipe

Nori seaweed sheets

1 cup raw sushi rice
Water for steaming
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt

Fresh, good quality salmon *
Takuan **
Cucumber

* Salmon was chosen for this side dish due to its taste, fattiness, and color. It is very, very important that the salmon is fresh and that you clean it properly. If you are not confident in the quality or cleanliness of your salmon, do not consume it raw. You may contract a foodborne illness. Please substitute the raw salmon for a cooked ingredient if you have to.

** Takuan is a Japanese pickled daikon that turns a bright yellow during its pickling process. It was chosen for its color, texture, and ability to balance the flavor with the fatty salmon. However, it may sometimes be difficult for you to get a hold of takuan. If that is the case, you may substitute it for fresh yellow bell pepper, but be aware that the taste will not be the same. Yellow bell pepper has a similar color to takuan and its water content gives it a satisfying crunchy texture. When raw, it has a "fresh kick"; if you like this flavor, you may leave it raw, but if you want to get closer to the intended acidity for balancing with the salmon, you may pre-soak the bell pepper strips in a vinegar and sugar mixture, then lightly stir fry them before adding them to the maki roll.

1. Steam the sushi rice.

2. When the rice is ready and still warm, mix it evenly with the vinegar, sugar, and salt.

3. Remove the skin from the cucumber and slice it into thin strips, making them as long as possible.

4. Slice the takuan into thin strips, making them as long as possible.

5. Make sure that the salmon is thoroughly clean. Slice salmon strips about half an inch thick, making them as long as possible.

6. Lay out the nori sheet. It would be nice if you have a sushi roller, but otherwise just prepare a flat surface.

7. Pick the side of the sheet where you will begin the maki roll. Spoon and spread a thin layer of seasoned sushi rice starting from this side and almost all the way to the end of the other side, but do not fill the nori sheet with rice the entire way. Leave about an inch of the nori sheet on the opposite side empty. This will allow you to complete the roll cleanly.

8. Carefully place your ingredient strips along the edge of the sheet that you chose. You need to pack them together tightly so that there are no visible holes in the middle of the roll. You want one of each ingredient strip in each section of the roll.

If your cucumber, takuan, or salmon strips are not long enough to fill the length of one roll, that is ok. You may need to use multiple strips. Try to line the repeated strips up such that the gaps for each ingredient all coincide at the same point(s) so that when cutting, you minimize the amount of "ugly" pieces.

9. Begin rolling your maki roll little by little, making sure to keep the ingredients bound together as compactly as possible. Once you get to the end of the nori sheet, it should close cleanly without any leftover rice hanging out of the edges.

10. Slice the maki roll into pieces with a very sharp knife. Cut as cleanly as you can; you don't want jagged edges or a misshapen roll from squeezing too hard. Some of your pieces will be inevitably ugly, such as the pieces at the very edge or the parts where you had to make multiple ingredient strips meet due to not having single long strips. Just eat those pieces yourself.

Extras

Steam your rice of choice to serve with the bento. Fragrant rice like jasmine works well, as do puffy medium-grain Japanese varieties.

Brew your tea of choice to serve with the bento. The tea in this entry is matcha.

You may include extra soy sauce as pictured in this entry, but it is not necessary.

Setting the bento

Depending on the setup of your bento box, you may have to set different portions of the meal in different sections. The largest section is usually reserved for the rice.

For the pictured bento, the vegetable stir fry goes in the L-shaped compartment since the veggies are the most flexible shape-wise.

Bring out your favorite chopsticks, serve with your hot tea of choice, and enjoy! Happy Greenskeeper Gathering. :)

Bonsai pixels (tofu and tea motif) by miirshroom
@EmpathNaga

Get cooking! =3
@EmpathNaga

Get cooking! =3
g9YXQbU.gifwpEE9mo.pngg9YXQbU.gif
oh I can't wait to do this!
oh I can't wait to do this!
4Pyee6b.png ZRxiLnz.gif
I love friends!!
I love talking with friends!!
I accept hatchling messages!!!
Feel free to say hi!!!! :D
@Sylvandyr What a beautiful way to kick off the contest! That looks delish.
@Sylvandyr What a beautiful way to kick off the contest! That looks delish.
1fTWTjV.png
This looks like so much fun! I'm currently still busy trying to get my event ready before the 26th, but if I have time I'm DEFINITELY going to cook something for this!!!
This looks like so much fun! I'm currently still busy trying to get my event ready before the 26th, but if I have time I'm DEFINITELY going to cook something for this!!!
@Tyta Thank you so much! I look forward to this event each year. :) I hope to see lots of yummy entries again!

[EDIT]: Oops, sorry for the ping, I keep forgetting about the subscription.
@Tyta Thank you so much! I look forward to this event each year. :) I hope to see lots of yummy entries again!

[EDIT]: Oops, sorry for the ping, I keep forgetting about the subscription.
This sounds like it will be very fun! I can't wait to pick a recipe to put together. Pinging myself so that I don't lose the thread @Alastriona1
This sounds like it will be very fun! I can't wait to pick a recipe to put together. Pinging myself so that I don't lose the thread @Alastriona1
4G1L5Tv.gifuFV2wbJ.gifw8o0xW1.png
@sylvandyr amazing! I’m gonna have to make it now cause it looks DELISH
@sylvandyr amazing! I’m gonna have to make it now cause it looks DELISH
2ko8cXz.png
@Layali Thank you! I hope you enjoy the meal :)
@Layali Thank you! I hope you enjoy the meal :)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9