Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | Wanderlust | Astral's Pinkerlocke
1 2 3
Rules

(These have been modified from the original Nuzlocke challenge and the Pinkerlocke rules. Rules for this Pinkerlocke have been inspired by @Sabariel’s Pinkerlocke, “Just Go”, as I was deeply inspired by the format they’ve been using.)

• If a dragon faints in the Coliseum, it is dead and must be Exalted.
  • You can buy any dragon from the AH after you've leveled three dragons to level 25.
  • You can only buy one egg or G1 a month for the challenge.
  • You can't scatterscroll a dragon until they've reached level 25.
  • You can't give a dragon a primary gene until level 10, can't give them a secondary gene until level 15, and can't give them a tertiary gene until level 20.
  • For every egg you find, whether in the coliseum or by scavenging, you may purchase one breed change for any dragon.
  • All Nuzlocke activity corresponds with the loot you obtain daily from Pinkerton's plundered pile.

Marina is the main character and is thus immune to death. If she were to die, however, she is unable to engage in any Nuzlocke activities for 15 days.
If a dragon is born with special eyes (indicated by icon), they are guaranteed to survive to adulthood. After that, regular Nuzlocke rules apply.

New dragons in the coliseum are protected against 1-shot kills while still level 1. After this level, if a lower level dragon in a higher level venue is 1-shot, the higher level party members have a chance to rescue them in a saving throw, the odds of which are as follows:
  • Levels 2-3: Flip a coin. If Heads, they have failed. If Tails, they are successful.
  • Levels 4-8: They have 1/(1*level of the dragon at risk) chance of success. IE: A level 4 has 1/4 chance to live, a level 5 has 1/5 chance to live, etc. The appropriate die or dice will be rolled and the saving throw is successful with only the highest possible number.
  • Level 9: Roll a d10. If 10, they are successful.
  • Level 10: Roll a d20. If 20, they are successful.
  • Levels 11+: Saving throws no longer apply.
If a dragon has a Familiar and is killed in the coliseum, roll two d4s.
  • If total is 8: both the dragon and familiar survives.
  • If total is over 4: the dragon is saved, but the familiar dies.
  • If total is less than 4: the dragon dies, but the familiar survives. Equip the familiar to a new dragon. If no dragon can equip the familiar, save the familiar to replace any that die later.
Drops of Fate:

Food: Coliseum time!
Plants: 10-20 matches
Insects: 20-30 matches
Seafood: 30-40 matches
Meat: 40-50 matches
Difficulty - Medium Mode: You must select coliseum challengers in your lair using a random number generator. Then, select the coliseum arena that corresponds with or is 1 tier down from the highest level dragon of that group. If your dragons level up while in an area, you can still stay there for the whole day. You can quit your battle streak at any time to regen health, and flee from battles if it is appropriate.

Materials and trinkets: Flex your creative muscles!

Materials: Do some writing for your nuzlocke.

Trinkets: Do some art for your nuzlocke!

Rare drops: Wildcards

Familiars: Buy the cheapest dragon in the auction house of a specific breed. Use a random number generator (between 1-14) to determine which breed you will get! (Optionally: attach the familiar to the new dragon.)
1. Fae
2. Guardian
3. Mirror
4. Pearlcatcher
5. Ridgeback
6. Tundra
7. Spiral
8. Imperial
9. Snapper
10. Wildclaw
11. Nocturne
12. Coatl
13. Skydancer
14. Bogsneak
15. A dragon for sale in my lair is picked at random and must join the Locke.

Apparel: Breed two of your dragons OR Buy the cheapest G1 OR Scatter Scroll a Lvl 25.
Note: You must flip a coin for each hatchling once they hatch. If tails, the dragon is dead and you must exalt it. This is in keeping with the original Nuzlocke thread's rule, because I really like it.

Battle items: Uh-oh!!!
Flip a coin.
Heads = DEATH STREAK
Tails = Increase the level of three random dragons by 1.

DEATH STREAK rules: Randomly select three dragons using a random number generator. Fight in the coliseum using the "food" rules 10 rounds consecutively (ie. you cannot leave that arena), quitting midway if a dragon dies. You must be in a venue equal to the level of your highest dragon.
Rules

(These have been modified from the original Nuzlocke challenge and the Pinkerlocke rules. Rules for this Pinkerlocke have been inspired by @Sabariel’s Pinkerlocke, “Just Go”, as I was deeply inspired by the format they’ve been using.)

• If a dragon faints in the Coliseum, it is dead and must be Exalted.
  • You can buy any dragon from the AH after you've leveled three dragons to level 25.
  • You can only buy one egg or G1 a month for the challenge.
  • You can't scatterscroll a dragon until they've reached level 25.
  • You can't give a dragon a primary gene until level 10, can't give them a secondary gene until level 15, and can't give them a tertiary gene until level 20.
  • For every egg you find, whether in the coliseum or by scavenging, you may purchase one breed change for any dragon.
  • All Nuzlocke activity corresponds with the loot you obtain daily from Pinkerton's plundered pile.

Marina is the main character and is thus immune to death. If she were to die, however, she is unable to engage in any Nuzlocke activities for 15 days.
If a dragon is born with special eyes (indicated by icon), they are guaranteed to survive to adulthood. After that, regular Nuzlocke rules apply.

New dragons in the coliseum are protected against 1-shot kills while still level 1. After this level, if a lower level dragon in a higher level venue is 1-shot, the higher level party members have a chance to rescue them in a saving throw, the odds of which are as follows:
  • Levels 2-3: Flip a coin. If Heads, they have failed. If Tails, they are successful.
  • Levels 4-8: They have 1/(1*level of the dragon at risk) chance of success. IE: A level 4 has 1/4 chance to live, a level 5 has 1/5 chance to live, etc. The appropriate die or dice will be rolled and the saving throw is successful with only the highest possible number.
  • Level 9: Roll a d10. If 10, they are successful.
  • Level 10: Roll a d20. If 20, they are successful.
  • Levels 11+: Saving throws no longer apply.
If a dragon has a Familiar and is killed in the coliseum, roll two d4s.
  • If total is 8: both the dragon and familiar survives.
  • If total is over 4: the dragon is saved, but the familiar dies.
  • If total is less than 4: the dragon dies, but the familiar survives. Equip the familiar to a new dragon. If no dragon can equip the familiar, save the familiar to replace any that die later.
Drops of Fate:

Food: Coliseum time!
Plants: 10-20 matches
Insects: 20-30 matches
Seafood: 30-40 matches
Meat: 40-50 matches
Difficulty - Medium Mode: You must select coliseum challengers in your lair using a random number generator. Then, select the coliseum arena that corresponds with or is 1 tier down from the highest level dragon of that group. If your dragons level up while in an area, you can still stay there for the whole day. You can quit your battle streak at any time to regen health, and flee from battles if it is appropriate.

Materials and trinkets: Flex your creative muscles!

Materials: Do some writing for your nuzlocke.

Trinkets: Do some art for your nuzlocke!

Rare drops: Wildcards

Familiars: Buy the cheapest dragon in the auction house of a specific breed. Use a random number generator (between 1-14) to determine which breed you will get! (Optionally: attach the familiar to the new dragon.)
1. Fae
2. Guardian
3. Mirror
4. Pearlcatcher
5. Ridgeback
6. Tundra
7. Spiral
8. Imperial
9. Snapper
10. Wildclaw
11. Nocturne
12. Coatl
13. Skydancer
14. Bogsneak
15. A dragon for sale in my lair is picked at random and must join the Locke.

Apparel: Breed two of your dragons OR Buy the cheapest G1 OR Scatter Scroll a Lvl 25.
Note: You must flip a coin for each hatchling once they hatch. If tails, the dragon is dead and you must exalt it. This is in keeping with the original Nuzlocke thread's rule, because I really like it.

Battle items: Uh-oh!!!
Flip a coin.
Heads = DEATH STREAK
Tails = Increase the level of three random dragons by 1.

DEATH STREAK rules: Randomly select three dragons using a random number generator. Fight in the coliseum using the "food" rules 10 rounds consecutively (ie. you cannot leave that arena), quitting midway if a dragon dies. You must be in a venue equal to the level of your highest dragon.
astralDragonsHatchery_buttonrounded.png
[size=5][b]The Cast[/b][/size] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=50897011][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/508971/50897011p.png[/img][/url] [i]Marina[/i], a Guardian on the Search for her destined Charge. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=50823260][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/508233/50823260p.png[/img][/url] [i]Zola[/i], a wandering Nocturne. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=51505447] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/515055/51505447p.png[/img] [/url] [i]Sapphire[/i], a young Mirror taken in by Marina and Zola. [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=52028056][img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/portraits/520281/52028056p.png[/img][/url] [i]Aluino[/i], a young Snapper whom is a healer-in-training.
The Cast

50897011p.png
Marina, a Guardian on the Search for her destined Charge.

50823260p.png
Zola, a wandering Nocturne.

51505447p.png

Sapphire, a young Mirror taken in by Marina and Zola.

52028056p.png
Aluino, a young Snapper whom is a healer-in-training.
The Road So Far

Day 0 | Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 | Day 4 | Day 5 | Day 6 | Day 6.5 | Day 7 | Day 8 | Day 9 | Day 10

Posts with Art

Day 1; Marina and the Necklace
Day 3; Zola
Day 4; Zola and Marina
The Road So Far

Day 0 | Day 1 | Day 2 | Day 3 | Day 4 | Day 5 | Day 6 | Day 6.5 | Day 7 | Day 8 | Day 9 | Day 10

Posts with Art

Day 1; Marina and the Necklace
Day 3; Zola
Day 4; Zola and Marina
Pinglist

@/Sabariel @/Rosesinger @/MisterMylez
Pinglist

@/Sabariel @/Rosesinger @/MisterMylez
[b][size=5]Day Zero: Prologue[/size][/b] [center][img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=119&bodygene=0&breed=2&element=4&eyetype=1&gender=1&tert=176&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=28&auth=8763eadba2624b6b5dde27f2434c8c5005a8a1d0&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/center] The waves crash rhythmically against the shore, the sun already dipping below the distant horizon. Hundreds of tide pools stretch into the distance, each one shimmering in the burning red and gold of the setting sun. Marina has seen this view hundreds-- perhaps even thousands-- of times throughout her life, but it’s with an aching heart that she recognizes she might never witness it again. She sighs wistfully, digging her claws into the loamy sand of the shore. She wants to stay, but that’s impossible. Marina’s already felt the urge calling to her, seeping into her dreams, making her very soul ache when she’s alone. As with all young Guardians, Marina feels the pull of the Search… the need to find her Charge. She just wishes she could enjoy it a little more. She loves this place so dearly… And even more than the place, well… As soon as she enters the familiarity of the shoreside cave, the fins along the side of her face smooth out in contentment. The scent of cinnamon wafts through the craggy rocks, each one decorated with shells, feathers, and any other trinkets Marina had been able to get her claws on as a hatchling. “Marina?” The Guardian perks up, a hint of her melancholy mood already beginning to fade away. Brooke’s presence alone was usually enough to soothe any of her worries. “Yeah, it’s me-- sorry for taking so long, I just… got a bit held up.” A long, blue, serpentine body slides between the dozens of decorated crags with a practiced ease. Beautiful and regal-- that’s how Marina has always seen her aunt. Larger than life and gifted with a heart made of gold, Brooke is a dragon whom Marina has always wanted to be like from the moment she had cooed her first words. [center][img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=136&bodygene=10&breed=8&element=4&eyetype=1&gender=1&tert=112&tertgene=11&winggene=24&wings=136&auth=1c65e9ab271ed65f04a829fd05aa62e12de11c49&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/center] “I understand completely,” Brooke hums, already lowering her head down to Marina’s level. “It’s always difficult to say goodbye. I, for one, am glad that you’re taking the time to come to terms with it all. That takes a level of maturity that, well. A younger me certainly wouldn’t have possessed.” Marina’s frills ruffle in embarrassment, unsure of how to respond to the compliment. Fortunately enough, Brooke continues to speak. “...It will be difficult to see you go.” Oh, great. That was even worse. “I know,” Marina tentatively murmurs. “I’m sorry, I just…” The Imperial gently brings a claw to Marina’s lower jaw. “Shh. I know-- you have to go, my sweet. I’ve had many Guardian friends over the years, and I know… I know this Search is something you have to do on your own. To find the other half of your soul.” Despite her words, Brooke’s eyes are pained as she gently brushes Marina’s fins back. “I just want you to be safe, Marina.” Marina quietly sighs, leaning into the Imperial’s touch. “I will. I promise… and I’ll try to visit, too, I just… I’ll. I’ll send letters at the very least. And maybe, when I find my Charge, you could come visit.” That earns a soft nod from Brooke. “I would love that, Marina. Please stay in touch when you can-- you know I worry.” She sighs before eventually lowering her claw back to the ground. “And you’re ready for tomorrow morning? You’ve packed your rations?” “Brooke, you’ve asked that three times already today--” “I worry.” Marina softly chuckles. “I know. Yes, I packed them, and yes, my bags are ready to go. And I packed that spare map you wanted me to take so badly.” Brooke fondly presses her muzzle to Marina’s, sighing quietly from her nose. “Good girl. That extra map will come in handy later-- just you wait. Now, what say you help me cook dinner for tonight one last time, hm? I caught extra scallops, just for you.” Marina perks up, her tail switching from side to side in anticipation. “You had me at ‘scallops’.” As she follows Brooke deeper into the cave, Marina glances at the walls-- the paintings, the chimes, the decorations… The Search may feel right in her bones, but her heart is going to beg to differ for a long, long while.
Day Zero: Prologue
dragon?age=1&body=119&bodygene=0&breed=2&element=4&eyetype=1&gender=1&tert=176&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=28&auth=8763eadba2624b6b5dde27f2434c8c5005a8a1d0&dummyext=prev.png

The waves crash rhythmically against the shore, the sun already dipping below the distant horizon. Hundreds of tide pools stretch into the distance, each one shimmering in the burning red and gold of the setting sun.

Marina has seen this view hundreds-- perhaps even thousands-- of times throughout her life, but it’s with an aching heart that she recognizes she might never witness it again.
She sighs wistfully, digging her claws into the loamy sand of the shore.

She wants to stay, but that’s impossible.
Marina’s already felt the urge calling to her, seeping into her dreams, making her very soul ache when she’s alone. As with all young Guardians, Marina feels the pull of the Search… the need to find her Charge.

She just wishes she could enjoy it a little more. She loves this place so dearly… And even more than the place, well…

As soon as she enters the familiarity of the shoreside cave, the fins along the side of her face smooth out in contentment. The scent of cinnamon wafts through the craggy rocks, each one decorated with shells, feathers, and any other trinkets Marina had been able to get her claws on as a hatchling.

“Marina?”
The Guardian perks up, a hint of her melancholy mood already beginning to fade away. Brooke’s presence alone was usually enough to soothe any of her worries.
“Yeah, it’s me-- sorry for taking so long, I just… got a bit held up.”

A long, blue, serpentine body slides between the dozens of decorated crags with a practiced ease. Beautiful and regal-- that’s how Marina has always seen her aunt. Larger than life and gifted with a heart made of gold, Brooke is a dragon whom Marina has always wanted to be like from the moment she had cooed her first words.
dragon?age=1&body=136&bodygene=10&breed=8&element=4&eyetype=1&gender=1&tert=112&tertgene=11&winggene=24&wings=136&auth=1c65e9ab271ed65f04a829fd05aa62e12de11c49&dummyext=prev.png

“I understand completely,” Brooke hums, already lowering her head down to Marina’s level. “It’s always difficult to say goodbye. I, for one, am glad that you’re taking the time to come to terms with it all. That takes a level of maturity that, well. A younger me certainly wouldn’t have possessed.”
Marina’s frills ruffle in embarrassment, unsure of how to respond to the compliment. Fortunately enough, Brooke continues to speak.
“...It will be difficult to see you go.”

Oh, great. That was even worse.

“I know,” Marina tentatively murmurs. “I’m sorry, I just…”
The Imperial gently brings a claw to Marina’s lower jaw. “Shh. I know-- you have to go, my sweet. I’ve had many Guardian friends over the years, and I know… I know this Search is something you have to do on your own. To find the other half of your soul.” Despite her words, Brooke’s eyes are pained as she gently brushes Marina’s fins back.
“I just want you to be safe, Marina.”

Marina quietly sighs, leaning into the Imperial’s touch.
“I will. I promise… and I’ll try to visit, too, I just… I’ll. I’ll send letters at the very least. And maybe, when I find my Charge, you could come visit.”

That earns a soft nod from Brooke.
“I would love that, Marina. Please stay in touch when you can-- you know I worry.” She sighs before eventually lowering her claw back to the ground. “And you’re ready for tomorrow morning? You’ve packed your rations?”

“Brooke, you’ve asked that three times already today--”
“I worry.”
Marina softly chuckles. “I know. Yes, I packed them, and yes, my bags are ready to go. And I packed that spare map you wanted me to take so badly.”

Brooke fondly presses her muzzle to Marina’s, sighing quietly from her nose.
“Good girl. That extra map will come in handy later-- just you wait. Now, what say you help me cook dinner for tonight one last time, hm? I caught extra scallops, just for you.”

Marina perks up, her tail switching from side to side in anticipation. “You had me at ‘scallops’.”
As she follows Brooke deeper into the cave, Marina glances at the walls-- the paintings, the chimes, the decorations…

The Search may feel right in her bones, but her heart is going to beg to differ for a long, long while.
[size=5][b]Day 1: The Search Begins[/b][/size] The travel packs weigh heavily on Marina’s back, despite their relatively-light load. She stifles a yawn as she gazes out from the cave’s entrance, eyeing the rising sun-- it was finally time to set off on her Search. The thought alone causes her heart to flutter… both in anticipation and in nervousness. From here, she would be on her own. No Brooke, no cave, no seaside. Her fins ruffle in agitation before she forcibly smooths them back down, finally turning back to look into the cave. “Brooke, I thought you said you were only going to take a minute!” Marina half-heartedly calls. [i]“One second!”[/i] Brooke’s voice echoes from the back of the cave, followed by a distant [i]crash[/i]. Marina blinks, her brows furrowing. “...Are you oka--” [i]”Yes. Just a few more seconds than anticipated.”[/i] That finally gets a snort out of the young Guardian. While she waits, she double-checks her packs-- plenty of fish jerky and salted meat to last for a week-- just in case-- her two maps, a stick of writing charcoal, a stack of parchment paper, and her lucky shell-- a cream-colored cone with soft, chocolate-colored gradients. Brooke had tried to insist on packing more for Marina, but as she had insisted, she was almost certain that she could find everything else she needed on the journey. Marina looks up as Brooke finally comes hurrying from the back of the cave-- still somehow looking graceful despite being so frazzled. In her claws is a wound-up cord, something shimmering a beautiful blue at the center of the cord. “Sorry, sorry,” Brooke huffs, shoving her paw towards Marina. “This was… further back in there than I had expected.” Marina’s fins perk up at the sight, taking the cord from Brooke’s hold. “...A necklace?” Marina questions, gently running a claw over the source of the blue shimmer-- a polished piece of lapis lazuli. “Brooke, this is beautiful, but I can’t just--” “Shh. It’s yours now.” Brooke softly brushes her paw against Brook’s cheek. “It was mine ages ago, but it’s been... gathering dust, over the past decade. I have a feeling that it would be better off with you, instead of sitting around in a cluttered pile for the following decade, too.” “I…” Marina swallows thickly before sliding the cord over her neck, the teardrop-shaped piece of lapis clinking softly against the scales of her underbelly. “It’s beautiful, Brooke. I can’t thank you enough-- for this and everything else.” “Oh, you most certainly can thank me enough, by staying in touch.” Brooke licks her raspy tongue up Marina’s forehead, causing the Guardian to groan in embarrassment. “Send a letter every time you run into a messenger, alright? I want to hear about all of your adventures.” Marina snorts, ducking under Brooke’s touch. “I can’t just sit around writing all the time, Brooke; I promise that I’ll stay in touch, but I can’t just hunt down every messenger in Sornieth!” “You [i]could[/i], especially if one of them ends up being your Charge,” Brooke teases. “You never know.” Marina snorts before straightening up. “Yeah, yeah. I’ll do my best, Brooke.” After a brief pause, she sighs, her somber mood returning. “And you have to take good care of yourself too, okay? I’m… I’m really going to miss you.” Brooke sighs quietly, gently pressing her muzzle against Marina’s. “I’ll miss you too, sweetscale. Don’t worry about me-- I’ve survived this long, after all. Just make sure you remember your combat and survival training, and be careful to space out your rations. And find landmarks on your map if you get lost, and…” Another groan from Marina causes Brooke to chuckle. “I know you’ll be fine, even if I worry a seemingly-excessive amount.” They stay like that for what feels like an eternity. Finally, the Imperial gives Marina a firm nudge. “You should head out, Marina. Give yourself some time to travel and find a good place for shelter, alright?” “...Yeah.” Marina straightens up, drawing a shaken breath as her frills flutter. “I love you.” Brooke gives Marina one last frill-ruffle with her claws before she finally, reluctantly steps back. “I love you too, Marina. Just remember, I believe in you. I know the Tidelord will guide you safely to your Charge.” As Marina finally steps free of the cave entrance, it’s a miracle that she keeps herself from crying and turning back. She keeps going, step after step, and before she knows it, her home is already distant-- she can only barely make out the shine of Brooke’s cobalt scales in the distance by the time she looks back. And after looking back… Marina sets forth towards the east. Towards the future. ----- [item=daydreamer's spines] Honestly, I'm not too satisfied with days 0 and 1, but if I pore over them one more time, my poor eyes might fall out. Mandatory writing, followed by a quick illustration of Marina-- the Lord Pinkerton has willed it, and so it shall be. [s]Also how the hell do Guardians' spines work[/s] [img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/b096ee8b045850fdf9f6c49fc524440c/tumblr_pqujqczmuh1xk9qsto1_400.jpg[/img]
Day 1: The Search Begins

The travel packs weigh heavily on Marina’s back, despite their relatively-light load. She stifles a yawn as she gazes out from the cave’s entrance, eyeing the rising sun-- it was finally time to set off on her Search. The thought alone causes her heart to flutter… both in anticipation and in nervousness.

From here, she would be on her own. No Brooke, no cave, no seaside.
Her fins ruffle in agitation before she forcibly smooths them back down, finally turning back to look into the cave.
“Brooke, I thought you said you were only going to take a minute!” Marina half-heartedly calls.

“One second!” Brooke’s voice echoes from the back of the cave, followed by a distant crash.

Marina blinks, her brows furrowing. “...Are you oka--”
”Yes. Just a few more seconds than anticipated.”
That finally gets a snort out of the young Guardian. While she waits, she double-checks her packs-- plenty of fish jerky and salted meat to last for a week-- just in case-- her two maps, a stick of writing charcoal, a stack of parchment paper, and her lucky shell-- a cream-colored cone with soft, chocolate-colored gradients. Brooke had tried to insist on packing more for Marina, but as she had insisted, she was almost certain that she could find everything else she needed on the journey.

Marina looks up as Brooke finally comes hurrying from the back of the cave-- still somehow looking graceful despite being so frazzled. In her claws is a wound-up cord, something shimmering a beautiful blue at the center of the cord.
“Sorry, sorry,” Brooke huffs, shoving her paw towards Marina. “This was… further back in there than I had expected.”

Marina’s fins perk up at the sight, taking the cord from Brooke’s hold.
“...A necklace?” Marina questions, gently running a claw over the source of the blue shimmer-- a polished piece of lapis lazuli. “Brooke, this is beautiful, but I can’t just--”

“Shh. It’s yours now.” Brooke softly brushes her paw against Brook’s cheek.
“It was mine ages ago, but it’s been... gathering dust, over the past decade. I have a feeling that it would be better off with you, instead of sitting around in a cluttered pile for the following decade, too.”

“I…”
Marina swallows thickly before sliding the cord over her neck, the teardrop-shaped piece of lapis clinking softly against the scales of her underbelly.
“It’s beautiful, Brooke. I can’t thank you enough-- for this and everything else.”

“Oh, you most certainly can thank me enough, by staying in touch.” Brooke licks her raspy tongue up Marina’s forehead, causing the Guardian to groan in embarrassment. “Send a letter every time you run into a messenger, alright? I want to hear about all of your adventures.”

Marina snorts, ducking under Brooke’s touch. “I can’t just sit around writing all the time, Brooke; I promise that I’ll stay in touch, but I can’t just hunt down every messenger in Sornieth!”
“You could, especially if one of them ends up being your Charge,” Brooke teases. “You never know.”
Marina snorts before straightening up. “Yeah, yeah. I’ll do my best, Brooke.” After a brief pause, she sighs, her somber mood returning. “And you have to take good care of yourself too, okay? I’m… I’m really going to miss you.”

Brooke sighs quietly, gently pressing her muzzle against Marina’s.
“I’ll miss you too, sweetscale. Don’t worry about me-- I’ve survived this long, after all. Just make sure you remember your combat and survival training, and be careful to space out your rations. And find landmarks on your map if you get lost, and…”

Another groan from Marina causes Brooke to chuckle. “I know you’ll be fine, even if I worry a seemingly-excessive amount.”

They stay like that for what feels like an eternity.

Finally, the Imperial gives Marina a firm nudge.
“You should head out, Marina. Give yourself some time to travel and find a good place for shelter, alright?”

“...Yeah.”
Marina straightens up, drawing a shaken breath as her frills flutter.
“I love you.”
Brooke gives Marina one last frill-ruffle with her claws before she finally, reluctantly steps back. “I love you too, Marina. Just remember, I believe in you. I know the Tidelord will guide you safely to your Charge.”

As Marina finally steps free of the cave entrance, it’s a miracle that she keeps herself from crying and turning back. She keeps going, step after step, and before she knows it, her home is already distant-- she can only barely make out the shine of Brooke’s cobalt scales in the distance by the time she looks back.

And after looking back…

Marina sets forth towards the east.
Towards the future.

Daydreamer's Spines
Honestly, I'm not too satisfied with days 0 and 1, but if I pore over them one more time, my poor eyes might fall out.
Mandatory writing, followed by a quick illustration of Marina-- the Lord Pinkerton has willed it, and so it shall be.
Also how the hell do Guardians' spines work

tumblr_pqujqczmuh1xk9qsto1_400.jpg
Pst. Put me on the pinglist~.
I like it so far! I think your writing is quite nice~. Also a very nice portrait of Marina, she's a pretty girl~. But I know what you mean, Guardian underbellies are a struggle to draw...
Pst. Put me on the pinglist~.
I like it so far! I think your writing is quite nice~. Also a very nice portrait of Marina, she's a pretty girl~. But I know what you mean, Guardian underbellies are a struggle to draw...
@Sabariel added you to the pinglist!! I’m really glad that you like it so far— it’s a huge compliment, coming from someone with writing and art like yours. <3
@Sabariel added you to the pinglist!! I’m really glad that you like it so far— it’s a huge compliment, coming from someone with writing and art like yours. <3
@Sabariel [size=5][b]Day 2: Encounter[/b][/size] Marina cries out in pain, swatting a Webwing Alpha into the ground with a sickening [i]crunch[/i]. The damn things are everywhere, and Marina’s skin is already marred with dozens of bruises and slashes. Of [i]course[/i] she had disturbed a nest. Of [i]COURSE[/i] she had. [i]No! I just started-- I can’t-- I won’t let it end like this![/i] Marina slashes a Ruby Webwing from the air, gasping for air as another of the multi-eyed birds screams and pecks the sensitive skin of her wing membranes. She manages to strike it down, but not before the thing had gotten a fairly good-sized hole punched into her wing. [i]Come on, it shouldn’t be this hard--! They’re just oversized birds, for tide’s sake, come on, Marina![/i] The swarm of webwings around her suddenly disperses with a loud, collective shriek. A red and blue streak surges through the air, knocking an Alpha from the sky with a spray of blood and an alarmed screech. Marina can only look on in awe as a creature rises from the Alpha’s grounded corpse, its blue wings fluttering rapidly as it straightens up. ...No, not just any creature. Another dragon, the likes of which Marina had never seen before. This dragon, a little beast hardly any bigger than Marina’s head, had just… helped her? [center][img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=161&bodygene=0&breed=11&element=8&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=134&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=148&auth=590b9320b8223ff3fb7f3b89a7e723eff855d642&dummyext=prev.png[/img][/center] “Hey!” the little dragon barks, bringing Marina out of her initial shock. “You gonna help me fight this flock or what?! Get a move-on!” Marina instinctively squeaks before jolting back into a defensive stance. “Y-yes, sorry!” The red dragon bares her fangs and crouches low to the ground, her gaze locked on the regrouping swarm of webwings. The colorful creatures, led by three more Alphas, seem even angrier than before. “Good, because ready or not… here they come.” ----- [item=dusky mealworm] Wooo, fun times! I. Tried going alone with Marina into the Training Fields and surprise! Guardians are [i]slow[/i]. Therefore, I decided to bring in an already-planned character ahead of schedule.~ She certainly made the Coli streak a lot easier to deal with, especially since literally everything was ganging up and beating the crap out of Marina. I only did the minimum 20 rounds today just because, as soon as ??? joined, the both of them started [i]destroying everything[/i]. They’re both at level 4 now already, and I’d like to pace this ‘locke out a bit!
@Sabariel

Day 2: Encounter

Marina cries out in pain, swatting a Webwing Alpha into the ground with a sickening crunch. The damn things are everywhere, and Marina’s skin is already marred with dozens of bruises and slashes. Of course she had disturbed a nest. Of COURSE she had.

No! I just started-- I can’t-- I won’t let it end like this!
Marina slashes a Ruby Webwing from the air, gasping for air as another of the multi-eyed birds screams and pecks the sensitive skin of her wing membranes. She manages to strike it down, but not before the thing had gotten a fairly good-sized hole punched into her wing.

Come on, it shouldn’t be this hard--! They’re just oversized birds, for tide’s sake, come on, Marina!

The swarm of webwings around her suddenly disperses with a loud, collective shriek. A red and blue streak surges through the air, knocking an Alpha from the sky with a spray of blood and an alarmed screech.

Marina can only look on in awe as a creature rises from the Alpha’s grounded corpse, its blue wings fluttering rapidly as it straightens up.
...No, not just any creature. Another dragon, the likes of which Marina had never seen before. This dragon, a little beast hardly any bigger than Marina’s head, had just… helped her?

dragon?age=1&body=161&bodygene=0&breed=11&element=8&eyetype=0&gender=1&tert=134&tertgene=0&winggene=0&wings=148&auth=590b9320b8223ff3fb7f3b89a7e723eff855d642&dummyext=prev.png

“Hey!” the little dragon barks, bringing Marina out of her initial shock. “You gonna help me fight this flock or what?! Get a move-on!”
Marina instinctively squeaks before jolting back into a defensive stance. “Y-yes, sorry!”
The red dragon bares her fangs and crouches low to the ground, her gaze locked on the regrouping swarm of webwings. The colorful creatures, led by three more Alphas, seem even angrier than before.
“Good, because ready or not… here they come.”

Dusky Mealworm
Wooo, fun times! I. Tried going alone with Marina into the Training Fields and surprise! Guardians are slow. Therefore, I decided to bring in an already-planned character ahead of schedule.~ She certainly made the Coli streak a lot easier to deal with, especially since literally everything was ganging up and beating the crap out of Marina.
I only did the minimum 20 rounds today just because, as soon as ??? joined, the both of them started destroying everything. They’re both at level 4 now already, and I’d like to pace this ‘locke out a bit!
@Sabariel [size=5][b]Day 3: Zola[/b][/size] Marina exhales shakily, her breaths coming out in brief pants. That was it-- the entire swarm of webwings had fallen to the claws of herself and the odd little newcomer. She glances over at the other dragon, her curiosity suddenly piqued now that the fight was finally over. “...What kind of dragon are you?” Marina questions, her frills tentatively returning to their normal, unflattened state. The little dragon raises her head, her expression a mixture of irritation and bewilderment. “Are you serious?” Marina winces at the other’s harsh tone, but she nods. “Y. Yeah, I am. I, um… I was raised by the sea, so I haven’t seen many other dragons. Only Imperials and, uhh… Brooke told me about Pearlcatchers and Coatls, and we saw a Ridgeback once, but they were far away, and--” “Nocturne.” Marina blinks in surprise at being cut off. “...What?” The smaller dragon snorts, raising a paw and swiping her rough tongue over a large gash between her claws. “I’m a Nocturne. Crafted by the Shadowbinder herself, but ironically enough, I was born in Light territory. You got a name, Guardian?” [i]Why does my mouth feel so dry…?[/i] “It’s-- My name is Marina.” She straightens upright, her fins briefly puffing up in embarrassment. For whatever reason, that finally draws a smirk out of the little Nocturne. “Marina? It’s a cute name. Very fitting.” She finally sits upright, coyly meeting Marina’s gaze. “The name’s Zola. I’m guessing you’re on the Search thingy? Looking for your Charge?” Marina perks up at the mention of The Search. “Yeah, actually, I am! What about you?” Zola hums before turning a one-eighty, continuing to head east. “Just wandering, I suppose. At any rate, you should follow me-- it’s getting dark, and there’s shelter up ahead. Don’t want to get caught by another swarm.” Marina tilts her head, baffled. After taking a second to process the Nocturne’s words, she tentatively begins to follow behind. “...Zola, I have some medical herbs, if you’d like. I think we both got roughed up pretty hard back there…” Zola pauses in her tracks before carrying on, not looking back at the Guardian. “I’m fine, but the concern is… appreciated. Save them for yourself.” Marina hums an uncertain note of agreement, continuing to follow the smaller dragon. What an odd dragon, but at least she’s not an enemy, as far as Marina can tell. Either way, Marina is grateful for the Nocturne’s help. ----- [item=Bluefin Charger Fin] Welcome to the team, Zola, you weirdo! Here’s a portrait of her, since Lord Pink has demanded it. Had to skip posting this yesterday, since I couldn’t whip out a sketch before I had to get ready for work. ^^;; [img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/20dff8ef251b7277b1f0fac403a3d8ec/tumblr_inline_pqulellrij1txpt3v_540.jpg[/img]
@Sabariel

Day 3: Zola

Marina exhales shakily, her breaths coming out in brief pants. That was it-- the entire swarm of webwings had fallen to the claws of herself and the odd little newcomer. She glances over at the other dragon, her curiosity suddenly piqued now that the fight was finally over.

“...What kind of dragon are you?” Marina questions, her frills tentatively returning to their normal, unflattened state.
The little dragon raises her head, her expression a mixture of irritation and bewilderment. “Are you serious?”
Marina winces at the other’s harsh tone, but she nods. “Y. Yeah, I am. I, um… I was raised by the sea, so I haven’t seen many other dragons. Only Imperials and, uhh… Brooke told me about Pearlcatchers and Coatls, and we saw a Ridgeback once, but they were far away, and--”
“Nocturne.”
Marina blinks in surprise at being cut off. “...What?”
The smaller dragon snorts, raising a paw and swiping her rough tongue over a large gash between her claws. “I’m a Nocturne. Crafted by the Shadowbinder herself, but ironically enough, I was born in Light territory. You got a name, Guardian?”

Why does my mouth feel so dry…?

“It’s-- My name is Marina.” She straightens upright, her fins briefly puffing up in embarrassment.
For whatever reason, that finally draws a smirk out of the little Nocturne.
“Marina? It’s a cute name. Very fitting.” She finally sits upright, coyly meeting Marina’s gaze. “The name’s Zola. I’m guessing you’re on the Search thingy? Looking for your Charge?”

Marina perks up at the mention of The Search. “Yeah, actually, I am! What about you?”
Zola hums before turning a one-eighty, continuing to head east. “Just wandering, I suppose. At any rate, you should follow me-- it’s getting dark, and there’s shelter up ahead. Don’t want to get caught by another swarm.”

Marina tilts her head, baffled. After taking a second to process the Nocturne’s words, she tentatively begins to follow behind.
“...Zola, I have some medical herbs, if you’d like. I think we both got roughed up pretty hard back there…”

Zola pauses in her tracks before carrying on, not looking back at the Guardian.
“I’m fine, but the concern is… appreciated. Save them for yourself.”

Marina hums an uncertain note of agreement, continuing to follow the smaller dragon. What an odd dragon, but at least she’s not an enemy, as far as Marina can tell. Either way, Marina is grateful for the Nocturne’s help.

Bluefin Charger Fin

Welcome to the team, Zola, you weirdo! Here’s a portrait of her, since Lord Pink has demanded it. Had to skip posting this yesterday, since I couldn’t whip out a sketch before I had to get ready for work. ^^;;

tumblr_inline_pqulellrij1txpt3v_540.jpg
1 2 3