Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | The Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16
[center][size=6]The Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge (v2)[/size] [size=2][i]"Know your opponent, and you will never lose. Know yourself, and you will always win."[/i] -- Sun Tzu[/size][/center] People who regularly take breeding challenges have probably seen me around by now since I've made or adapted five of them for FR. I'm proud of all the challenge threads I've made (and I love being subscribed to them so I can watch the progress people share!), but it's recently occurred to me that I've never made a Coliseum challenge. And what better day to post such a challenge than on the first day of Night of the Nocturne? Ladies and gentlemen, may I present the [b]Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge[/b], or a TvN Challenge for short! [quote="The Pitch"] [i]Two powerful, opposing alliances have formed between most of the Flights. The land of your Flight -- the one neutral entity in this mess -- has inadvertently become the battleground by which these factions will wage war. You would be quaking with fear if they were after you, but the truth is, they only have one goal in mind: to wipe out their opposition once and for all and convince you to join their cause. Which side will emerge victorious? It's hard to say, for war is not easily won, and many twists and turns can happen along the way....[/i] [/quote] Of course, anyone who wants to do this challenge for lore can go wild with the setup of their own Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge, but this serves as an introduction to the main concept of the challenge as a whole. [b]Warning:[/b] The basic rules for this challenge can be daunting because there are a lot of them; however, most of them are based off of "interesting" Coliseum drops and the effects they have. In linked posts below, you'll be able to read up on: [LIST] [*][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2338903#post_30862192][b]The Rules of Combat:[/b][/url] This goes over how to determine which dragons in each faction fight, how many completed battles they must do, and Coliseum mechanics. [*][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2338903#post_30862193][b]The Faction's Hoards:[/b][/url] This goes over how faction hoards work and what "interesting" Coliseum drops can be added to them. It also talks about faction finances! [*][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2338903#post_30862195][b]Drops of Fate:[/b][/url] This discusses items that drop (or are found in chests or loot crates) that [i]are not[/i] objects in a faction's hoard, but still have side-effects. [*][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2338903#post_30862196][b]The Tides of War -- Elemental Stones:[/b][/url] This discusses how elemental battle stones are tallied and what impact they have when a faction tallies enough. [*][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2338903#post_30862198][b]The Tides of War -- Everything Else:[/b][/url] This discusses the impact of drops that are faction hoard items, but are not elemental battle stones. I originally planned for this to be in one whole section with the elemental stones, but that would've been a massive post. [*][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2338903#post_30862200][b]Optional Rules:[/b][/url] This discusses a number of changes or additions to the challenge rules that anyone can use. [i]It's the place to go if you want a simpler version of the challenge or more diversity (and/or restrictions) in the kinds of dragons you get![/i] [*][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2338903#post_30862205][b]FAQ:[/b][/url] This answers questions that may arise that I haven't preemptively written as part of the main rules. Hopefully it clears up any confusion you may have! [*][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2338903#post_30862207][b]Extended Examples:[/b][/url] If something is confusing in the rules, I may write an extended example to demonstrate how it works. If the FAQ doesn't have a simpler answer, this may be the place to go. [*][url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2338903#post_30862209][b]Post Update Example Format:[/b][/url] A possible format for anyone who wants to update their TvNCC on the forums. Hopefully it can be adapted to any challenger's play-style! [/LIST] Feel free to click the links to navigate as you need! If you feel like starting this challenge for yourself, continue by reading the quote box below. [quote="Setup and Key Concepts"] [b][u]Determining the Factions:[/b][/u] 1. Copy the following list of the eleven Flights into this [url=https://www.random.org/lists/]list randomizer[/url]. [center]Arcane Earth Fire Ice Light Lightning Nature Plague Shadow Water Wind[/center] 2. Remove [i]your[/i] Flight from the list. 3. Generate the randomized list. The Flights in numbers 1 through 5 have formed one of the two rival factions, and the Flights in numbers 6 through 10 have formed the other! [b][u]Setting Up, Main Concepts, and Goals:[/b][/u] The challenge begins with ten dragons: one from each of the Flights that isn't your own. How random you make the selection process is up to you, but here are some basic rules to go by for setting up: [LIST] [*]They should all be hatchlings or Level 1 adults. [*]They should all be bought from the Auction House. [*]They [i]cannot[/i] be G1s. For this challenge, G1s have special bonuses, so you can only receive them from eggs you find in the Coliseum! [*]Ideally, each faction should have a relatively even split of biological sexes (2 of one and 3 of the other). [*]By default, the type of eye a dragon has is purely cosmetic; however, playing with the [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2338903/11#post_33568626]Eye Adjustments[/url] optional rules applies special effects to those who have mutant eye types. If playing with these optional rules, do [i]not[/i] buy any starter dragons with mutant eyes. [/LIST] [i]The challenge does not begin until all the dragons involved are old enough to fight in the Coliseum.[/i] Having a unifying trait to differentiate each faction is optional but recommended. If you opt to do this, they could have names that fit a specific theme, a common piece or set of apparel, etc. Dragons in each faction will be selected in a pseudo-random fashion to battle in the Coliseum. Each faction will fight a specific number of battles per day based on the size of the faction (see [b]The Rules of Combat[/b]). [i]Individual dragons have life points that should be kept track of![/i] These represent a dragon's long-term health. Each dragon starts with a total of 10 life points (except G1s; see [b]Drops of Fate[/b]). This number can decrease (or, less often, increase) in intervals as small as ½ of a life point. [i]The moment a dragon's life points reach zero, they are eliminated and must be removed from the challenge.[/i] Standard practice is to consider it a death in the lore and exalt, but you can also sell them or give them residence in the "main" portion of your lair. Keep track of all "interesting" drops, including potions, chests, familiars, loot crates, battle stones, apparel, and unhatched eggs. Be sure to separate which faction gets what! Some of them (or the money that's found inside) will go into an individual "faction hoard," while others can impact the faction for a moment or for the rest of the current week. This can be good or bad, depending on what kind of item it is! [/quote] [b]The Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge immediately ends when one faction's adult dragons have all been eliminated (resulting in their faction losing) [i]or[/i] a dragon from one of the factions reaches level 25 (resulting in their faction winning).[/b]
The Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge (v2)

"Know your opponent, and you will never lose. Know yourself, and you will always win."
-- Sun Tzu

People who regularly take breeding challenges have probably seen me around by now since I've made or adapted five of them for FR. I'm proud of all the challenge threads I've made (and I love being subscribed to them so I can watch the progress people share!), but it's recently occurred to me that I've never made a Coliseum challenge.

And what better day to post such a challenge than on the first day of Night of the Nocturne?

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present the Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge, or a TvN Challenge for short!

The Pitch wrote:
Two powerful, opposing alliances have formed between most of the Flights. The land of your Flight -- the one neutral entity in this mess -- has inadvertently become the battleground by which these factions will wage war. You would be quaking with fear if they were after you, but the truth is, they only have one goal in mind: to wipe out their opposition once and for all and convince you to join their cause. Which side will emerge victorious? It's hard to say, for war is not easily won, and many twists and turns can happen along the way....

Of course, anyone who wants to do this challenge for lore can go wild with the setup of their own Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge, but this serves as an introduction to the main concept of the challenge as a whole.

Warning: The basic rules for this challenge can be daunting because there are a lot of them; however, most of them are based off of "interesting" Coliseum drops and the effects they have. In linked posts below, you'll be able to read up on:

• The Rules of Combat: This goes over how to determine which dragons in each faction fight, how many completed battles they must do, and Coliseum mechanics.

• The Faction's Hoards: This goes over how faction hoards work and what "interesting" Coliseum drops can be added to them. It also talks about faction finances!

• Drops of Fate: This discusses items that drop (or are found in chests or loot crates) that are not objects in a faction's hoard, but still have side-effects.

• The Tides of War -- Elemental Stones: This discusses how elemental battle stones are tallied and what impact they have when a faction tallies enough.

• The Tides of War -- Everything Else: This discusses the impact of drops that are faction hoard items, but are not elemental battle stones. I originally planned for this to be in one whole section with the elemental stones, but that would've been a massive post.

• Optional Rules: This discusses a number of changes or additions to the challenge rules that anyone can use. It's the place to go if you want a simpler version of the challenge or more diversity (and/or restrictions) in the kinds of dragons you get!

• FAQ: This answers questions that may arise that I haven't preemptively written as part of the main rules. Hopefully it clears up any confusion you may have!

• Extended Examples: If something is confusing in the rules, I may write an extended example to demonstrate how it works. If the FAQ doesn't have a simpler answer, this may be the place to go.

• Post Update Example Format: A possible format for anyone who wants to update their TvNCC on the forums. Hopefully it can be adapted to any challenger's play-style!

Feel free to click the links to navigate as you need! If you feel like starting this challenge for yourself, continue by reading the quote box below.

Setup and Key Concepts wrote:
Determining the Factions:

1. Copy the following list of the eleven Flights into this list randomizer.

Arcane
Earth
Fire
Ice
Light
Lightning
Nature
Plague
Shadow
Water
Wind

2. Remove your Flight from the list.

3. Generate the randomized list. The Flights in numbers 1 through 5 have formed one of the two rival factions, and the Flights in numbers 6 through 10 have formed the other!

Setting Up, Main Concepts, and Goals:

The challenge begins with ten dragons: one from each of the Flights that isn't your own. How random you make the selection process is up to you, but here are some basic rules to go by for setting up:

• They should all be hatchlings or Level 1 adults.

• They should all be bought from the Auction House.

• They cannot be G1s. For this challenge, G1s have special bonuses, so you can only receive them from eggs you find in the Coliseum!

• Ideally, each faction should have a relatively even split of biological sexes (2 of one and 3 of the other).

• By default, the type of eye a dragon has is purely cosmetic; however, playing with the Eye Adjustments optional rules applies special effects to those who have mutant eye types. If playing with these optional rules, do not buy any starter dragons with mutant eyes.

The challenge does not begin until all the dragons involved are old enough to fight in the Coliseum.

Having a unifying trait to differentiate each faction is optional but recommended. If you opt to do this, they could have names that fit a specific theme, a common piece or set of apparel, etc.

Dragons in each faction will be selected in a pseudo-random fashion to battle in the Coliseum.

Each faction will fight a specific number of battles per day based on the size of the faction (see The Rules of Combat).

Individual dragons have life points that should be kept track of! These represent a dragon's long-term health. Each dragon starts with a total of 10 life points (except G1s; see Drops of Fate). This number can decrease (or, less often, increase) in intervals as small as ½ of a life point.

The moment a dragon's life points reach zero, they are eliminated and must be removed from the challenge. Standard practice is to consider it a death in the lore and exalt, but you can also sell them or give them residence in the "main" portion of your lair.

Keep track of all "interesting" drops, including potions, chests, familiars, loot crates, battle stones, apparel, and unhatched eggs. Be sure to separate which faction gets what! Some of them (or the money that's found inside) will go into an individual "faction hoard," while others can impact the faction for a moment or for the rest of the current week. This can be good or bad, depending on what kind of item it is!

The Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge immediately ends when one faction's adult dragons have all been eliminated (resulting in their faction losing) or a dragon from one of the factions reaches level 25 (resulting in their faction winning).
[center][size=6]The Rules of Combat[/size] [size=2][i]"Battle is the most magnificent competition in which we can indulge."[/i] -- George S. Patton[/size][/center] The cornerstone of a Coliseum challenge is, of course, combat. However, to keep things fair relative to the scale of each faction and the members in it, there are certain rules that a challenge-taker should follow in order to keep things interesting. [quote="Combat Rules"] 1. At the start of each day, flip a coin. On a result of heads, the faction who made slots 1-5 of the original randomly generated list enters the Coliseum first; on a result of tails, the faction who made slots 6-10 get this honor instead. Whichever faction you are following the events of at any given time is considered the [b]active faction[/b], and the other side is the [b]opposing faction.[/b] 2. The dragons battling in your active faction is determined in part via the [url=https://www.random.org/lists/]list randomizer[/url]. [LIST] [*]Make a list of the names of each adult, battle-ready member of the active faction and then randomize it. The dragon at the top is [i]guaranteed[/i] to battle that day. [*]After the guaranteed dragon has been selected, you may pick up to two other dragons (if applicable) to join them in the Coliseum. If there are options, I recommend choosing those that are of a roughly equal level in order to maximize potential experience. [*]If there is a discrepancy of 5 or more levels between the lowest-level party member and the highest-level party member, then anytime the lowest-level party member faints, they [i]do not[/i] incur a life point penalty. However, they also cannot gain any life points in the Coliseum due to drops such as health potions and skin crates (see [b]The Faction's Hoards[/b]). [/LIST] 3. The number of battles your first faction undertakes is determined by multiplying [b]3[/b] times the number of adult, battle-ready dragons you have available for that faction. [LIST] [*]If you'd like, you can change the interval number to something other than three. Just make sure the number quantity per adult, battle-ready dragon is consistent between the factions so that neither one favors the other! [/LIST] 4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the other faction. 5. [i]Never[/i] exceed the number of completed battles intended for a faction on any given day. This would be giving their side an unfair advantage. 6. You must note every "interesting" Coliseum drop (see the posts below) [i]and[/i] which faction found them during their adventures in the Coliseum. I recommend keeping a list for each faction because these items [i]will[/i] have an effect (either immediately or in the long haul) and some will even become part of that [b]Faction's Hoard![/b] 7. You may heal as often as you want in battle provided the faction has potions in their [b]Faction Hoard[/b] or (obviously) as long as any party mages have sufficient breath for healing spells. If the faction run out of potions, you can no longer heal with them until the faction either earns more in the Coliseum or buys more on the Auction House using their faction finances. 8. Upon level-up, you must distribute stat upgrades and battle stones in such a way to ensure the members of each side get changes that are relatively balanced and viable. Don't give the members of one side painstaking and effective stat distributions while members from the other get all their upgrade points dumped in one slot! [LIST] [*]As a side note, you can give any dragon any build you want. If, for instance, you want to turn a Mirror into a mage or a Fae into a tank, that's entirely up to you! [*][i]The moment a dragon reaches Level 25, their faction is declared victorious![/i] [/LIST] 9. You [i]cannot[/i] refresh the page at the start or in the middle of a fight, even if things are going poorly. You may, however, use the fleeing feature and have your Coliseum team suffer the energy penalty that comes with it. [LIST] [*]If you do this, roll a die for each [i]non-fainted[/i] dragon in the party. On a roll of 1 through 4, nothing happens. On a roll of 5 or 6, that dragon loses ½ of a life point by exhausting themself during their escape. [*]A fled battle is considered incomplete and will [i]not[/i] count towards the total number of battles a faction must complete on a given day. [/LIST] 10. Any time after a battle ends (when you see the victory screen) [i]and[/i] if one or more of your dragons in the Coliseum have less than a third of their health, you may refresh the Coliseum without penalty to start a fresh battle streak. In lore, this can be considered taking a break. 11. Battles must be done in a venue that offers experience points to all dragons involved. In the case where there is an extremely uneven distribution of levels [i]or[/i] when there are less than three dragons available to fight in a faction, this can be the lowest-level venue that still gives experience points; otherwise, it should be a venue deemed "fair" with the levels of each party member considered that still gives experience points. 12. If a dragon faints, they immediately lose 1 life point and are sent to an infirmary to heal, removing them from all remaining Coliseum battles for the day. If this happens to be your last battle-ready dragon in a faction, then that faction’s streak of Coliseum battles ends prematurely. 13. If a dragon dies (aka: their life points reach zero) during Coliseum activities for the day, they are immediately removed from the Coliseum party and eliminated from the challenge. [i]If this happens to be the last adult dragon in the active faction, then the opposing faction is declared victorious![/i] 14. If a dragon faints or dies and is rendered unable to fight in the Coliseum, you can end the battle (by winning or by fleeing) and add new members to fill out your party, if applicable. In lore, this can be considered calling for backup. 15. On challenge rollover, all living adult dragons in each faction receive ½ of a life point for surviving a full week. [LIST] [*]For the sake of consistency in these rules, I will always refer to "challenge rollover" as the point after which seven rounds for each faction have been played, capping a full "week" of the war. However, if you want your challenge to have a weekly rollover on a set day, that's fine, too! As long as you remain consistent and fair between the factions, feel free to set your own challenge rollover! [/LIST] [/quote]
The Rules of Combat

"Battle is the most magnificent competition in which we can indulge."
-- George S. Patton

The cornerstone of a Coliseum challenge is, of course, combat. However, to keep things fair relative to the scale of each faction and the members in it, there are certain rules that a challenge-taker should follow in order to keep things interesting.

Combat Rules wrote:
1. At the start of each day, flip a coin. On a result of heads, the faction who made slots 1-5 of the original randomly generated list enters the Coliseum first; on a result of tails, the faction who made slots 6-10 get this honor instead. Whichever faction you are following the events of at any given time is considered the active faction, and the other side is the opposing faction.

2. The dragons battling in your active faction is determined in part via the list randomizer.

• Make a list of the names of each adult, battle-ready member of the active faction and then randomize it. The dragon at the top is guaranteed to battle that day.

• After the guaranteed dragon has been selected, you may pick up to two other dragons (if applicable) to join them in the Coliseum. If there are options, I recommend choosing those that are of a roughly equal level in order to maximize potential experience.

• If there is a discrepancy of 5 or more levels between the lowest-level party member and the highest-level party member, then anytime the lowest-level party member faints, they do not incur a life point penalty. However, they also cannot gain any life points in the Coliseum due to drops such as health potions and skin crates (see The Faction's Hoards).

3. The number of battles your first faction undertakes is determined by multiplying 3 times the number of adult, battle-ready dragons you have available for that faction.

• If you'd like, you can change the interval number to something other than three. Just make sure the number quantity per adult, battle-ready dragon is consistent between the factions so that neither one favors the other!

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the other faction.

5. Never exceed the number of completed battles intended for a faction on any given day. This would be giving their side an unfair advantage.

6. You must note every "interesting" Coliseum drop (see the posts below) and which faction found them during their adventures in the Coliseum. I recommend keeping a list for each faction because these items will have an effect (either immediately or in the long haul) and some will even become part of that Faction's Hoard!

7. You may heal as often as you want in battle provided the faction has potions in their Faction Hoard or (obviously) as long as any party mages have sufficient breath for healing spells. If the faction run out of potions, you can no longer heal with them until the faction either earns more in the Coliseum or buys more on the Auction House using their faction finances.

8. Upon level-up, you must distribute stat upgrades and battle stones in such a way to ensure the members of each side get changes that are relatively balanced and viable. Don't give the members of one side painstaking and effective stat distributions while members from the other get all their upgrade points dumped in one slot!

• As a side note, you can give any dragon any build you want. If, for instance, you want to turn a Mirror into a mage or a Fae into a tank, that's entirely up to you!

• The moment a dragon reaches Level 25, their faction is declared victorious!

9. You cannot refresh the page at the start or in the middle of a fight, even if things are going poorly. You may, however, use the fleeing feature and have your Coliseum team suffer the energy penalty that comes with it.

• If you do this, roll a die for each non-fainted dragon in the party. On a roll of 1 through 4, nothing happens. On a roll of 5 or 6, that dragon loses ½ of a life point by exhausting themself during their escape.

• A fled battle is considered incomplete and will not count towards the total number of battles a faction must complete on a given day.

10. Any time after a battle ends (when you see the victory screen) and if one or more of your dragons in the Coliseum have less than a third of their health, you may refresh the Coliseum without penalty to start a fresh battle streak. In lore, this can be considered taking a break.

11. Battles must be done in a venue that offers experience points to all dragons involved. In the case where there is an extremely uneven distribution of levels or when there are less than three dragons available to fight in a faction, this can be the lowest-level venue that still gives experience points; otherwise, it should be a venue deemed "fair" with the levels of each party member considered that still gives experience points.

12. If a dragon faints, they immediately lose 1 life point and are sent to an infirmary to heal, removing them from all remaining Coliseum battles for the day. If this happens to be your last battle-ready dragon in a faction, then that faction’s streak of Coliseum battles ends prematurely.

13. If a dragon dies (aka: their life points reach zero) during Coliseum activities for the day, they are immediately removed from the Coliseum party and eliminated from the challenge. If this happens to be the last adult dragon in the active faction, then the opposing faction is declared victorious!

14. If a dragon faints or dies and is rendered unable to fight in the Coliseum, you can end the battle (by winning or by fleeing) and add new members to fill out your party, if applicable. In lore, this can be considered calling for backup.

15. On challenge rollover, all living adult dragons in each faction receive ½ of a life point for surviving a full week.

• For the sake of consistency in these rules, I will always refer to "challenge rollover" as the point after which seven rounds for each faction have been played, capping a full "week" of the war. However, if you want your challenge to have a weekly rollover on a set day, that's fine, too! As long as you remain consistent and fair between the factions, feel free to set your own challenge rollover!
[center][size=6]The Faction's Hoards[/size] [size=2][i]"To the victor belong the spoils."[/i] -- William Learned Marcy[/size][/center] In a Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge, every faction has a hoard. This is composed of certain items won by members of their faction during Coliseum fights and can [i]only[/i] be used to aid members of that particular faction. Most also come with side-effects that can impact [b]the Tides of War![/b] If you don't see a specific kind of "interesting" Coliseum drop here, that's because it doesn't count as an item for a faction's hoard and [i]only[/i] has fateful effects (see [b]Drops of Fate[/b]). [quote="Faction Hoards"] [center][b][u]Battle Stones:[/b][/u][/center] Any and all battle stones found by a faction can be given to members in that faction for use! Unless stolen (see [b]The Tides of War -- Elemental Stones; Shadow Shroud[/b]) or misplaced (see [b]Drops of Fate -- Vial of Hypnotic Sight[/b]), none of these can be used by members of the rival faction. If you want to give any member of one faction a battle stone that is not in its faction hoard, it must be bought on the Auction House or in the Marketplace using money obtained from chests and loot crates. In lore, this could be considered a dragon going out and training in a certain skill. Of course, this money must then be depleted from the faction's finances. [LIST] [*]The only two battle stones that your faction can "purchase" for lower than AH price would be Rally and Eliminate. If you want to buy a Rally for a dragon, the transaction must deplete 11,000 treasure from their faction's finances. If you want to buy an Eliminate for a dragon, the transaction must deplete 55,000 treasure from their faction's finances. [/LIST] Battle stones come with side-effects! See [b]The Tides of War[/b] posts for details on what specific battle stones do (or contribute to). [center][b][u]Chests:[/b][/u][/center] When a standard Coliseum chest drops, make a note of how much treasure it holds. This treasure count is added to the faction's finances and can be used to buy battle stones or potions for this specific faction. [center][b][u]Loot Crates:[/b][/u][/center] Much like chests, the amount of treasure a loot crate holds should be noted and added to the faction's finances, and the treasure can be used to buy battle stones or potions for this specific faction. However, unlike chests, loot crates come with more than just treasure (food, materials, skins, etc.) and these can influence [b]The Tides of War![/b] [center][b][u]Potions:[/b][/u][/center] Any and all potions found by a faction can be given to members in that faction for use! Unless stolen (see [b]The Tides of War -- Elemental Stones; Shadow Shroud[/b]) or misplaced (see [b]Drops of Fate -- Vial of Hypnotic Sight[/b]), none of these can go to members of the rival faction. If found in the Coliseum a potion also has a chance to increase the life points of a dragon in the current Coliseum party! Roll a die. On a 1-2, it impacts the dragon with the least experience in the party (as long as they aren't 5 or more levels lower than the one with the highest experience; if they are, then reroll). On a 3-4, it impacts the dragon with intermediate experience in the party. On a 5-6, it impacts the dragon with the most experience in the party. Then, re-roll in comparison to this chart: [LIST] [*]For a [b]Minor Health Potion[/b], on a 1-4 nothing happens, on a 5 that dragon gains +½ LP, and on a 6 that dragon gains +1 LP. [*]For a [b]Health Potion[/b], on a 1-3 nothing happens, on a 4 that dragon gains +½ LP, on a 5 that dragon gains +1 LP, and on a 6 that dragon gains +1½ LP. [*]For a [b]Major Health Potion[/b], on a 1-2 nothing happens, on a 3 that dragon gains +½ LP, on a 4 that dragon gains +1 LP, on a 5 that dragon gains +1½ LP, and on a 6 that dragon gains +2 LP. [/LIST] If you want to stock up on more potions than the faction currently has, they must be bought from the Auction House or the Marketplace using money obtained from chests and loot crates. These do not, however, come with the possible life point benefit In theory, you may have your faction hoardsell them and add the finances to their faction hoard. [/quote]
The Faction's Hoards

"To the victor belong the spoils."
-- William Learned Marcy

In a Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge, every faction has a hoard. This is composed of certain items won by members of their faction during Coliseum fights and can only be used to aid members of that particular faction. Most also come with side-effects that can impact the Tides of War!

If you don't see a specific kind of "interesting" Coliseum drop here, that's because it doesn't count as an item for a faction's hoard and only has fateful effects (see Drops of Fate).

Faction Hoards wrote:
Battle Stones:

Any and all battle stones found by a faction can be given to members in that faction for use! Unless stolen (see The Tides of War -- Elemental Stones; Shadow Shroud) or misplaced (see Drops of Fate -- Vial of Hypnotic Sight), none of these can be used by members of the rival faction.

If you want to give any member of one faction a battle stone that is not in its faction hoard, it must be bought on the Auction House or in the Marketplace using money obtained from chests and loot crates. In lore, this could be considered a dragon going out and training in a certain skill. Of course, this money must then be depleted from the faction's finances.

• The only two battle stones that your faction can "purchase" for lower than AH price would be Rally and Eliminate. If you want to buy a Rally for a dragon, the transaction must deplete 11,000 treasure from their faction's finances. If you want to buy an Eliminate for a dragon, the transaction must deplete 55,000 treasure from their faction's finances.

Battle stones come with side-effects! See The Tides of War posts for details on what specific battle stones do (or contribute to).

Chests:

When a standard Coliseum chest drops, make a note of how much treasure it holds. This treasure count is added to the faction's finances and can be used to buy battle stones or potions for this specific faction.

Loot Crates:

Much like chests, the amount of treasure a loot crate holds should be noted and added to the faction's finances, and the treasure can be used to buy battle stones or potions for this specific faction. However, unlike chests, loot crates come with more than just treasure (food, materials, skins, etc.) and these can influence The Tides of War!

Potions:

Any and all potions found by a faction can be given to members in that faction for use! Unless stolen (see The Tides of War -- Elemental Stones; Shadow Shroud) or misplaced (see Drops of Fate -- Vial of Hypnotic Sight), none of these can go to members of the rival faction.

If found in the Coliseum a potion also has a chance to increase the life points of a dragon in the current Coliseum party! Roll a die. On a 1-2, it impacts the dragon with the least experience in the party (as long as they aren't 5 or more levels lower than the one with the highest experience; if they are, then reroll). On a 3-4, it impacts the dragon with intermediate experience in the party. On a 5-6, it impacts the dragon with the most experience in the party. Then, re-roll in comparison to this chart:

• For a Minor Health Potion, on a 1-4 nothing happens, on a 5 that dragon gains +½ LP, and on a 6 that dragon gains +1 LP.

• For a Health Potion, on a 1-3 nothing happens, on a 4 that dragon gains +½ LP, on a 5 that dragon gains +1 LP, and on a 6 that dragon gains +1½ LP.

• For a Major Health Potion, on a 1-2 nothing happens, on a 3 that dragon gains +½ LP, on a 4 that dragon gains +1 LP, on a 5 that dragon gains +1½ LP, and on a 6 that dragon gains +2 LP.

If you want to stock up on more potions than the faction currently has, they must be bought from the Auction House or the Marketplace using money obtained from chests and loot crates. These do not, however, come with the possible life point benefit

In theory, you may have your faction hoardsell them and add the finances to their faction hoard.
[center][size=6]Drops of Fate[/size] [size=2][i]"We don't even know how strong we are until we are forced to bring that hidden strength forward. In times of tragedy, of war, of necessity, people do amazing things."[/i] -- Isabel Allende[/size][/center] "Interesting" Coliseum drops that do not count as items or money in a [b]Faction's Hoard[/b] are known as drops of fate. These only come with side-effects that can influence how certain aspects of the war play out. Drops that are both faction hoard items [i]and[/i] drops of fate influence [b]The Tides of War.[/b] [quote="Drops of Fate"] [center][b][u]Apparel:[/b][/u][/center] Any apparel item dropped means two members of the active faction get to breed immediately! It can be any two of your choice who are compatible and RTB, and their hatchling(s) may grow up to be members of their parents' faction (unless their parents were from rival factions, which can only happen under Light Enamorment; see [b]The Tides of War -- Elemental Stones[/b]). [LIST] [*]If [i]neither[/i] of the members of the nesting couple lose all their life points over the next five challenge days before their hatchlings grow up, then roll a die for each hatchling in birth order. On a result 1-4, the hatchling chooses not to join the war. On a result of 5-6, the hatchling chooses to join the war. [LIST] [*]For alternative drama, you can have a result of 1 mean the hatchling joins the opposing faction instead! [/LIST] [*]If [i]one[/i] of the members of the nesting couple lose all their life points over the next five challenge days before their hatchlings grow up, that parent is considered eliminated immediately -- even if they are still on the nest! That parent no longer qualifies as a member of the faction for battle or for randomized list generation. If they were involved in lore, they should be considered dead, disappeared, etc. As soon as their nest hatches, said parent should be removed permanently from the challenge in the manner you choose. [LIST] [*][i]Because one of the parents died, the hatchlings have an increased chance of wanting to join the war for vengeance.[/i] Flip a coin for each hatchling in birth order. On a result of tails, the hatchling chooses not to join the war. On a result of heads, the hatchling chooses to join the war. [/LIST] [*]If [i]both[/i] of the members of the nesting couple lost all their life points over the next five challenge days, the results are similar. This time, neither will qualify as members of the faction for battle or for randomized list generation anymore, even if they are still on a nest at the time, and as soon as their nest hatches, they should both be removed permanently from the challenge. [LIST] [*][i]Since neither parent is alive when the nest hatches, the chances of the hatchlings joining the war for vengeance is even higher.[/i] Roll a die for each hatchling in birth order. On a result 1-2, the hatchling chooses not to join the war. On a result of 3-6, the hatchling chooses to join the war. [/LIST] [/LIST] If immediate breeding is impossible due to any number of factors (no one is RTB, there are no compatible pairs, etc.), then roll a die. [LIST] [*]On a result of [b]1[/b], buy one hatchling of your element on the AH. [*]On a result of [b]2 or 3[/b], buy two hatchlings of your element on the AH. [*]On a result of [b]4 or 5[/b], buy three hatchlings of your element on the AH. [*]On a result of [b]6[/b], buy four hatchlings of your element on the AH. [/LIST] All of these purchased hatchlings are added to the active faction immediately in lieu of a nest. In lore, this could be considered young dragons being recruited for that faction's cause. Though a user can sell a dropped apparel piece for however much it is worth, a faction may "sell" it for its hoardsell price and add the resulting finances to their faction hoard once its effects have been completed. [center][b][u]Boss Familiars:[/b][/u][/center] A boss familiar drop has a similar effect to a normal familiar drop (see below), but it bypasses the tally system entirely. The tallies for normal familiars are unaffected, but a boss familiar signifies that five hatchlings -- one of each of the valid elements for that faction -- immediately joins the active faction from the AH. Though a user can sell a dropped boss familiar for however much it is worth, a faction may "sell" it for its hoardsell price and add the resulting finances to their faction hoard once its effects have been completed. [center][b][u]Festival Currency:[/b][/u][/center] Though festival currency itself isn't added to a [b]Faction's Hoard[/b], it does translate into more money they can spend! For every piece of festival currency a faction finds, add 25 treasure to their finances. In the case of Strange Chests during Night of the Nocturne, add 25 treasure to their finances [i]per chest[/i], regardless of what item it contains. [center][b][u]Normal Familiars:[/b][/u][/center] This drop utilizes the tally system. To learn more about the tally system, read [b]The Tides of War -- Elemental Stones.[/b] When a non-boss familiar drops, tally it under the faction that earned it. Once they have reached 10 tallies, a new hatchling immediately joins that faction. They should be one of the valid elements for the faction, and if you are lacking a member of any particular element(s), they should be of that element to maximize variety. Though a user can sell a dropped familiar for however much it is worth, a faction may "sell" it for its hoardsell price and add the resulting finances to their faction hoard. [i]This effect is considered positive on behalf of the active faction and negative on behalf of the opposing faction.[/i] [center][b][u]Primary Genes:[/b][/u][/center] The moment this drops, one of the dragons in your Coliseum party is outed as a traitor! To determine which one it is, roll a die: [LIST] [*]On a [b]1 or 2[/b], it's the dragon with the least experience of the party. [*]On a [b]3 or 4[/b], it's the dragon with the intermediate experience of the party. [*]On a [b]5 or 6[/b], it's the dragon with the most experience of the party. [/LIST] [i]In the unlikely event of a tie, pick one at random.[/i] The traitor is taken out of the Coliseum streak prematurely. They're sent to the opposing faction and lose 2 life points in their hasty escape. Additionally, the active faction is relieved that the traitor is now gone; all dragons in the active faction receive 1 life point. In the case that the traitorous dragon is functioning as a temporary member of the active faction (under the effects of Light Enamorment, Shadow Shroud, or Windy Disorientation; see [b]The Tides of War -- Elemental Stones[/b]), the effects are much the same, but with no true shift in allegiance. The traitor returns to the opposing (their "home") faction and loses 2 life points in their escape, and every dragon in the active faction receives 1 life point. This will also prematurely end the elemental stone effect for the traitor, and as such, they are barred from functioning as a member of the active faction until the next time they are under such an effect. [center][b][u]Runestones:[/b][/u][/center] The moment this drops, it bypasses the tally system completely and enables its corresponding element's effect at once. If on the unusual chance this effect is already in place for the active faction, then this means that the effect will continue past the "upcoming" challenge rollover to the challenge rollover succeeding it! [LIST] [*][b]Example:[/b] It's day 4 of the challenge week. Lightning runestone drops, but the active faction already has Lightning Shock activated for randomized Dragon A of the opposing faction. [i]If[/i] Dragon A doesn't defect to the active faction before the effect ends on challenge rollover, then they're under the Lightning Shock effect for a whole additional challenge week! If they [i]do[/i] defect to the active faction before the upcoming challenge rollover, then Lightning Shock takes effect for randomized Dragon B of the opposing flight on the first day of the next challenge week. [/LIST] [center][b][u]Scrolls of Renaming:[/b][/u][/center] Generate a randomized list of the dragons in the opposing faction. The one at the top of the list has decided to start anew. [LIST] [*][b]If Playing With Wandering Dragons:[/b] This dragon immediately defects to the wandering dragons with 0 Sway towards the active faction and -3 Sway towards the opposing faction. [*][b]If Playing Without Wandering Dragons:[/b] This dragon immediately joins the active faction, but they must gain the faction's trust before they are accepted as a new member. Until the start of the new challenge week, they must offer to split the life point penalties suffered by any members of the active faction. [LIST] [*][i]For Example:[/i] If any other dragon in the active faction is supposed to suffer a penalty of 2 LP, roll a die. On a 1-5, that dragon suffers the life point penalty as usual. On a 6, it instead loses only 1 LP, and the defected dragon suffers the other 1 LP worth of "damage." [/LIST] In the case of penalties with a ½ LP loss (½ LP, 1½ LP, etc.), the defected dragon loses [i]less LP[/i], rounded down to the nearest half. This means that if any other dragon suffers a penalty of a single ½ LP loss, the defected dragon cannot take that hit for them! [/LIST] [center][b][u]Scenes:[/b][/u][/center] Create two randomized lists of every adult, battle-ready dragon in each faction. Then roll a die. Whatever number it lands on is the number of dragons, in the order set by the lists, who will choose to switch to the opposite faction! This effect takes place [i]after[/i] all factions are done with their turns for the challenge day. If the number of dragons in either faction is less than the number rolled on the die, then [i]all[/i] dragons in that faction will switch to the opposite one, and the ones moving from the opposite faction take their place. [i]Please note that this effect does not change the elemental alignment requirements for newcomers.[/i] [center][b][u]Secondary Genes:[/b][/u][/center] Once all Coliseum battles are done for the active faction, generate a randomized list of adult dragons for the opposing faction. Then go to the Auction House and buy a Level 1 adult dragon [i]of your element[/i] that is breeding-compatible with the opposing dragon at the top of the list. The opposing faction dragon has fallen in love with the dragon of your element, and the dragon of your element has convinced them to join the active faction! They both lose 1 life point as they run away together. Meanwhile, once the opposing faction finds out that their former ally has left, they defiantly train even harder against the active faction; all dragons in the opposing faction receive 2 life points. While the two lovebirds are in the active faction together, they are first in line to breed with each other the next time apparel drops (see above). If either dragon falls under the effects of Light Enamorment (see [b]The Tides of War -- Elemental Stones[/b]) or switches allegiance, this is no longer the case. [center][b][u]Tertiary Genes:[/b][/u][/center] Generate a list of all adult, battle-ready dragons in the active faction. Remove all dragons level 20 and above and roll a die for each remaining dragon, in order. Any dragons that land on a 6 get a single free level up with no faints counting towards LP loss! This can be done with your standard fodder trainer, Sedona grinder, etc. as the one doing the brunt of the Coliseum work. The stipulations, however, are: [LIST] [*]The dragon must be pulled out of battle as soon as they've leveled up. [*]Any "special" drops found during these level-up sessions do [i]not[/i] count towards any tallies or immediate effects. [/LIST] [center][b][u]Unhatched Eggs:[/b][/u][/center] When an unhatched egg of any element drops, pick one of the following options: [LIST=1] [*]Hatch it. [*]Sell it for your personal finances ([i]not[/i] the finances of the active faction) and instead buy the cheapest triple-Basic plentiful G1 dragon on the Auction House of that same element, [i]regardless[/i] of its breed, gender, or colors. [/LIST] This hatchling will join the faction that found them, [i]even if[/i] their element belongs to the rival faction. Because they're a G1, they have a higher starting life point value (14) and will gain an additional 2 life points for every gene you replace Basic with, if desired. [center][b][u]Vial of (Any) Sight:[/b][/u][/center] Until challenge rollover, [i]every[/i] dragon in either faction will act and add tallies, loot, etc. towards the opposing faction instead! For example, if the active faction has a Hydro Bolt drop, then the opposing faction gets it in their hoard and has +2 tallies added towards the Watery Drowning effect! [center][b][u]Vistas:[/b][/u][/center] When the Coliseum events are done for the day, revisit your lists of the five elements meant to be represented in each faction. Randomize them once per faction. The ones at the top are [i]swapping allegiance[/i] for the foreseeable future. This comes with both an immediate and long-term effect. [LIST] [*][b]Immediate Effect:[/b] All current faction dragons [i]of these randomized elements[/i] that suddenly find themselves no longer in the appropriate faction must move to the other side! During this shuffle, make a list of [i]all[/i] dragons moving from one side to the other and randomize it. Then roll one die for each moving dragon in the order of the list and apply the following results: [LIST] [*]On a [b]1[/b], they lose 1 life point. [*]On a [b]2[/b], they lose ½ of a life point. [*]On a [b]3 or 4[/b], nothing happens. [*]On a [b]5[/b], they gain ½ of a life point. [*]On a [b]6[/b], they gain 1 life point. [/LIST] [*][b]Long-Term Effect:[/b] From now on, when buying new dragons from the Auction House, these elemental changes must be kept in mind. A faction can no longer recruit dragons from the Flight that swapped allegiance to the other side, and can instead now recruit dragons from the Flight that swapped allegiance to their own side. [/LIST] When dragons are transferring from one side to the other, it [i]does not[/i] impact: [LIST] [*]Dragons of elements who were [i]not[/i] randomized to move. [*]Dragons of elements who were randomized to move, [i]but[/i] are already personally aligned with the faction their flight is now meant to be in. [*]Wandering dragons of any element, if playing with the Neutral Entities variant (see [b]Optional Rules[/b]). [/LIST] [/quote]
Drops of Fate

"We don't even know how strong we are until we are forced to bring that hidden strength forward. In times of tragedy, of war, of necessity, people do amazing things."
-- Isabel Allende

"Interesting" Coliseum drops that do not count as items or money in a Faction's Hoard are known as drops of fate. These only come with side-effects that can influence how certain aspects of the war play out.

Drops that are both faction hoard items and drops of fate influence The Tides of War.

Drops of Fate wrote:
Apparel:

Any apparel item dropped means two members of the active faction get to breed immediately! It can be any two of your choice who are compatible and RTB, and their hatchling(s) may grow up to be members of their parents' faction (unless their parents were from rival factions, which can only happen under Light Enamorment; see The Tides of War -- Elemental Stones).

• If neither of the members of the nesting couple lose all their life points over the next five challenge days before their hatchlings grow up, then roll a die for each hatchling in birth order. On a result 1-4, the hatchling chooses not to join the war. On a result of 5-6, the hatchling chooses to join the war.

• For alternative drama, you can have a result of 1 mean the hatchling joins the opposing faction instead!
  • If one of the members of the nesting couple lose all their life points over the next five challenge days before their hatchlings grow up, that parent is considered eliminated immediately -- even if they are still on the nest! That parent no longer qualifies as a member of the faction for battle or for randomized list generation. If they were involved in lore, they should be considered dead, disappeared, etc. As soon as their nest hatches, said parent should be removed permanently from the challenge in the manner you choose.

• Because one of the parents died, the hatchlings have an increased chance of wanting to join the war for vengeance. Flip a coin for each hatchling in birth order. On a result of tails, the hatchling chooses not to join the war. On a result of heads, the hatchling chooses to join the war.
  • If both of the members of the nesting couple lost all their life points over the next five challenge days, the results are similar. This time, neither will qualify as members of the faction for battle or for randomized list generation anymore, even if they are still on a nest at the time, and as soon as their nest hatches, they should both be removed permanently from the challenge.

• Since neither parent is alive when the nest hatches, the chances of the hatchlings joining the war for vengeance is even higher. Roll a die for each hatchling in birth order. On a result 1-2, the hatchling chooses not to join the war. On a result of 3-6, the hatchling chooses to join the war.

If immediate breeding is impossible due to any number of factors (no one is RTB, there are no compatible pairs, etc.), then roll a die.

• On a result of 1, buy one hatchling of your element on the AH.

• On a result of 2 or 3, buy two hatchlings of your element on the AH.

• On a result of 4 or 5, buy three hatchlings of your element on the AH.

• On a result of 6, buy four hatchlings of your element on the AH.

All of these purchased hatchlings are added to the active faction immediately in lieu of a nest. In lore, this could be considered young dragons being recruited for that faction's cause.

Though a user can sell a dropped apparel piece for however much it is worth, a faction may "sell" it for its hoardsell price and add the resulting finances to their faction hoard once its effects have been completed.

Boss Familiars:

A boss familiar drop has a similar effect to a normal familiar drop (see below), but it bypasses the tally system entirely. The tallies for normal familiars are unaffected, but a boss familiar signifies that five hatchlings -- one of each of the valid elements for that faction -- immediately joins the active faction from the AH.

Though a user can sell a dropped boss familiar for however much it is worth, a faction may "sell" it for its hoardsell price and add the resulting finances to their faction hoard once its effects have been completed.

Festival Currency:

Though festival currency itself isn't added to a Faction's Hoard, it does translate into more money they can spend! For every piece of festival currency a faction finds, add 25 treasure to their finances. In the case of Strange Chests during Night of the Nocturne, add 25 treasure to their finances per chest, regardless of what item it contains.

Normal Familiars:

This drop utilizes the tally system. To learn more about the tally system, read The Tides of War -- Elemental Stones.

When a non-boss familiar drops, tally it under the faction that earned it. Once they have reached 10 tallies, a new hatchling immediately joins that faction. They should be one of the valid elements for the faction, and if you are lacking a member of any particular element(s), they should be of that element to maximize variety.

Though a user can sell a dropped familiar for however much it is worth, a faction may "sell" it for its hoardsell price and add the resulting finances to their faction hoard.

This effect is considered positive on behalf of the active faction and negative on behalf of the opposing faction.

Primary Genes:

The moment this drops, one of the dragons in your Coliseum party is outed as a traitor! To determine which one it is, roll a die:

• On a 1 or 2, it's the dragon with the least experience of the party.

• On a 3 or 4, it's the dragon with the intermediate experience of the party.

• On a 5 or 6, it's the dragon with the most experience of the party.

In the unlikely event of a tie, pick one at random.

The traitor is taken out of the Coliseum streak prematurely. They're sent to the opposing faction and lose 2 life points in their hasty escape. Additionally, the active faction is relieved that the traitor is now gone; all dragons in the active faction receive 1 life point.

In the case that the traitorous dragon is functioning as a temporary member of the active faction (under the effects of Light Enamorment, Shadow Shroud, or Windy Disorientation; see The Tides of War -- Elemental Stones), the effects are much the same, but with no true shift in allegiance. The traitor returns to the opposing (their "home") faction and loses 2 life points in their escape, and every dragon in the active faction receives 1 life point. This will also prematurely end the elemental stone effect for the traitor, and as such, they are barred from functioning as a member of the active faction until the next time they are under such an effect.

Runestones:

The moment this drops, it bypasses the tally system completely and enables its corresponding element's effect at once. If on the unusual chance this effect is already in place for the active faction, then this means that the effect will continue past the "upcoming" challenge rollover to the challenge rollover succeeding it!

• Example: It's day 4 of the challenge week. Lightning runestone drops, but the active faction already has Lightning Shock activated for randomized Dragon A of the opposing faction. If Dragon A doesn't defect to the active faction before the effect ends on challenge rollover, then they're under the Lightning Shock effect for a whole additional challenge week! If they do defect to the active faction before the upcoming challenge rollover, then Lightning Shock takes effect for randomized Dragon B of the opposing flight on the first day of the next challenge week.

Scrolls of Renaming:

Generate a randomized list of the dragons in the opposing faction. The one at the top of the list has decided to start anew.

• If Playing With Wandering Dragons: This dragon immediately defects to the wandering dragons with 0 Sway towards the active faction and -3 Sway towards the opposing faction.

• If Playing Without Wandering Dragons: This dragon immediately joins the active faction, but they must gain the faction's trust before they are accepted as a new member. Until the start of the new challenge week, they must offer to split the life point penalties suffered by any members of the active faction.

• For Example: If any other dragon in the active faction is supposed to suffer a penalty of 2 LP, roll a die. On a 1-5, that dragon suffers the life point penalty as usual. On a 6, it instead loses only 1 LP, and the defected dragon suffers the other 1 LP worth of "damage."

In the case of penalties with a ½ LP loss (½ LP, 1½ LP, etc.), the defected dragon loses less LP, rounded down to the nearest half. This means that if any other dragon suffers a penalty of a single ½ LP loss, the defected dragon cannot take that hit for them!

Scenes:

Create two randomized lists of every adult, battle-ready dragon in each faction. Then roll a die. Whatever number it lands on is the number of dragons, in the order set by the lists, who will choose to switch to the opposite faction!

This effect takes place after all factions are done with their turns for the challenge day. If the number of dragons in either faction is less than the number rolled on the die, then all dragons in that faction will switch to the opposite one, and the ones moving from the opposite faction take their place.

Please note that this effect does not change the elemental alignment requirements for newcomers.

Secondary Genes:

Once all Coliseum battles are done for the active faction, generate a randomized list of adult dragons for the opposing faction. Then go to the Auction House and buy a Level 1 adult dragon of your element that is breeding-compatible with the opposing dragon at the top of the list.

The opposing faction dragon has fallen in love with the dragon of your element, and the dragon of your element has convinced them to join the active faction! They both lose 1 life point as they run away together. Meanwhile, once the opposing faction finds out that their former ally has left, they defiantly train even harder against the active faction; all dragons in the opposing faction receive 2 life points.

While the two lovebirds are in the active faction together, they are first in line to breed with each other the next time apparel drops (see above). If either dragon falls under the effects of Light Enamorment (see The Tides of War -- Elemental Stones) or switches allegiance, this is no longer the case.

Tertiary Genes:

Generate a list of all adult, battle-ready dragons in the active faction. Remove all dragons level 20 and above and roll a die for each remaining dragon, in order. Any dragons that land on a 6 get a single free level up with no faints counting towards LP loss! This can be done with your standard fodder trainer, Sedona grinder, etc. as the one doing the brunt of the Coliseum work. The stipulations, however, are:

• The dragon must be pulled out of battle as soon as they've leveled up.

• Any "special" drops found during these level-up sessions do not count towards any tallies or immediate effects.

Unhatched Eggs:

When an unhatched egg of any element drops, pick one of the following options:

1. Hatch it.

2. Sell it for your personal finances (not the finances of the active faction) and instead buy the cheapest triple-Basic plentiful G1 dragon on the Auction House of that same element, regardless of its breed, gender, or colors.

This hatchling will join the faction that found them, even if their element belongs to the rival faction. Because they're a G1, they have a higher starting life point value (14) and will gain an additional 2 life points for every gene you replace Basic with, if desired.

Vial of (Any) Sight:

Until challenge rollover, every dragon in either faction will act and add tallies, loot, etc. towards the opposing faction instead! For example, if the active faction has a Hydro Bolt drop, then the opposing faction gets it in their hoard and has +2 tallies added towards the Watery Drowning effect!

Vistas:

When the Coliseum events are done for the day, revisit your lists of the five elements meant to be represented in each faction. Randomize them once per faction. The ones at the top are swapping allegiance for the foreseeable future. This comes with both an immediate and long-term effect.

• Immediate Effect: All current faction dragons of these randomized elements that suddenly find themselves no longer in the appropriate faction must move to the other side! During this shuffle, make a list of all dragons moving from one side to the other and randomize it. Then roll one die for each moving dragon in the order of the list and apply the following results:

• On a 1, they lose 1 life point.

• On a 2, they lose ½ of a life point.

• On a 3 or 4, nothing happens.

• On a 5, they gain ½ of a life point.

• On a 6, they gain 1 life point.

• Long-Term Effect: From now on, when buying new dragons from the Auction House, these elemental changes must be kept in mind. A faction can no longer recruit dragons from the Flight that swapped allegiance to the other side, and can instead now recruit dragons from the Flight that swapped allegiance to their own side.

When dragons are transferring from one side to the other, it does not impact:

• Dragons of elements who were not randomized to move.

• Dragons of elements who were randomized to move, but are already personally aligned with the faction their flight is now meant to be in.

• Wandering dragons of any element, if playing with the Neutral Entities variant (see Optional Rules).
[center][size=6]The Tides of War -- Elemental Stones[/size] [size=2][i]"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other [guy] die for his." -- George S. Patton[/i][/size][/center] Battle stones and loot crate items don't just count as items in a [b]Faction's Hoard[/b] -- they also influence what happens in the Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge! Generally, there are two varieties of items that influence the tides of war: elemental battle stones, and everything else. These are divided into two separate sections since they involve different mechanics. This post will exclusively discuss the elemental battle stones. [quote="Elemental Battle Stones"] [b][u]General Rules:[/b][/u] Every time you earn an elemental battle stone, you must make a certain number of tallies depending on its element and "potency." When 10 total tallies are reached, its effect takes place. To pick a dragon or the dragons who are inflicted, use the list randomizer linked in the first post. Effects last until challenge rollover. When 10 tallies are exceeded, the excess is lost. Each collection of tallies restarts at zero. The number of tallies per elemental battle stone category is as follows: [LIST] [*][b]1[/b] for Acuity or Might Fragments. [*][b]2[/b] for the Bolt or Slash stones. [*][b]3[/b] for the advanced mage stones. [/LIST] Additionally, if your faction has elemental battle stones that [i]cannot[/i] be applied to any member of your current faction, then you can make a choice to either hoardsell them and add their finances to your [b]Faction Hoard[/b], or hold onto them on the chance that another dragon of that element will make its way to your ranks soon. [center]-- [b][u]Arcane Enfeeblement:[b][/u] [Item="Magical Acuity Fragment"][Item="Mana Bolt"][item="Enfeeble"][item="Rune Slash"][Item="Magical Might Fragment"][/center] Generate a randomized list of the adult dragons of the opposing faction. The one at the top, through poor health or a spell, has become too weak to fight in the area of their level and must instead gain experience [i]only[/i] in the lowest levelled area applicable. If the enfeebled dragon is at Level 3 or below, then the effect of this stone is ignored until they reach Level 4. This effect begins on the opposing faction's next turn. [i]This effect is considered positive on behalf of the active faction and negative on behalf of the opposing faction.[/i] [center][b][u]Earthly Fossilization:[b][/u] [Item="Earthen Acuity Fragment"][Item="Boulder Bolt"][item="Fossilize"][item="Rock Slash"][Item="Earthen Might Fragment"][/center] Generate a randomized list of the adult dragons of the opposing faction. The one at the top is indisposed and unable to fight in the Coliseum. However, their lost life points are [i]halved[/i] in the meantime (rounded up to the nearest ½). This effect begins on the opposing faction's next turn. [i]This effect is considered positive on behalf of the active faction and negative on behalf of the opposing faction.[/i] [center][b][u]Fiery Sear:[b][/u] [Item="Fiery Acuity Fragment"][Item="Flame Bolt"][item="Sear"][item="Blazing Slash"][Item="Fiery Might Fragment"][/center] Generate a randomized list of all of the dragons of the opposing faction. The one at the top suffers a magical burn. While they have this burn, they lose [i]double[/i] the number of life points they would have lost normally. This effect begins on the opposing faction's next turn. [i]This effect is considered positive on behalf of the active faction and negative on behalf of the opposing faction.[/i] [center][b][u]Icy Congealment:[b][/u] [Item="Frozen Acuity Fragment"][Item="Frigid Bolt"][item="Congeal"][item="Freezing Slash"][Item="Frozen Might Fragment"][/center] Generate a randomized list of the adult dragons of the active faction. The one at the top has become discontent with their faction and is considering leaving. If they lose any life points in the Coliseum before the effect ends, then they will leave their active faction and pledge their loyalty to the opposing faction. This effect begins immediately. [i]This effect is considered negative on behalf of the active faction and positive on behalf of the opposing faction.[/i] [center][b][u]Light Enamorment:[b][/u] [Item="Shining Acuity Fragment"][Item="Bright Bolt"][item="Enamor"][item="Blinding Slash"][Item="Shining Might Fragment"][/center] Generate a randomized list of the adult dragons of the active faction [i]and[/i] the adult dragons in the opposing faction. The one at the top of the [i]active faction's[/i] list has become infatuated with the first breeding-compatible dragon closest to the top of the [i]opposing faction's[/i] list. If none are breeding-compatible with the dragon at the top of the active faction's list, then the second dragon is affected, or so on until the Light Enamorment effect can occur. Every day until the effect ends, roll one die. On a result of 1 through 3, nothing special happens. On a result of 4 or 5, the infatuated dragon will function as a member of the opposing faction for a day in an effort to woo their crush. On a result of 6, the infatuated dragon and their crush nest together; if either or both of them aren't RTB at the time [i]or[/i] if either or both are already on a nest, then treat a 6 as a 4 or 5 result. If a nest is made, roll a die for each hatchling born from oldest to youngest. [LIST] [*]On a [b]1 through 4[/b], the hatchling joins the faction of the infatuated dragon’s crush. [*]On a [b]5 or 6[/b], the hatchling joins the faction of the infatuated dragon. [/LIST] This effect begins on the opposing faction's next turn. [i]This effect is considered negative on behalf of the active faction and positive on behalf of the opposing faction.[/i] [center][b][u]Lightning Shock:[b][/u] [Item="Charged Acuity Fragment"][Item="Shock Bolt"][item="Shock"][item="Thunder Slash"][Item="Charged Might Fragment"][/center] Generate a randomized list of the adult dragons of the opposing faction. The one at the top has been shocked and disgusted by the actions of their faction and is considering leaving. If they lose any life points in the Coliseum before the effect ends, then they will leave their faction and pledge their loyalty to the active faction. This effect begins immediately. [i]This effect is considered positive on behalf of the active faction and negative on behalf of the opposing faction.[/i] [center][b][u]Natural Venom:[b][/u] [Item="Natural Acuity Fragment"][Item="Leaf Bolt"][item="Envenom"][item="Jungle Slash"][Item="Natural Might Fragment"][/center] Generate a randomized list of all the dragons of the opposing faction. The one at the top has been poisoned by a member of your active faction. At the start of every day until the effect ends (or until the dragon dies), they are guaranteed to lose ½ of a life point. This effect begins immediately. [i]This effect is considered positive on behalf of the active faction and negative on behalf of the opposing faction.[/i] [center][b][u]Plague Contamination:[b][/u] [Item="Diseased Acuity Fragment"][Item="Vile Bolt"][item="Contaminate"][item="Pestilent Slash"][Item="Diseased Might Fragment"][/center] Generate a randomized list of all the dragons of the active faction. The one at the top has fallen ill. At the start of every day until the effect ends (or until the dragon dies), they are guaranteed to lose ½ of a life point. This effect begins immediately. [i]This effect is considered negative on behalf of the active faction and positive on behalf of the opposing faction.[/i] [center][b][u]Shadow Shroud:[b][/u] [Item="Dark Acuity Fragment"][Item="Dark Bolt"][item="Shroud"][item="Mist Slash"][Item="Dark Might Fragment"][/center] Generate a randomized list of the adult dragons of the active faction [i]every day[/i] until the effect ends. Each day, the one at the top of the list will be a double agent and serve as the guaranteed dragon in the [i]opposing[/i] faction's Coliseum party; however, every time an "interesting" Coliseum drop occurs while fighting with their opposing faction, there is a chance that the double agent will steal it and bring it back with them to their active faction. A die is rolled every time an "interesting" Coliseum drop occurs. [LIST] [*]On a [b]1 through 4[/b], nothing happens. [*]On a [b]5 or 6[/b], the double agent takes the "interesting" Coliseum drop and its effects are applied to their active faction, including adding any applicable items to their [b]Faction Hoard.[/b] [/LIST] This effect begins on the opposing faction's next turn. [i]This effect is considered positive on behalf of the active faction and negative on behalf of the opposing faction.[/i] [center][b][u]Watery Drowning:[b][/u] [Item="Aquatic Acuity Fragment"][Item="Hydro Bolt"][item="Drown"][item="Wave Slash"][Item="Aquatic Might Fragment"][/center] Generate a randomized list of all the dragons of the opposing faction [i]every day[/i] until the effect ends. At the start of each day, the one at the top of the list faces a near-death (or deadly) experience due to an insurgence of terrible disasters, reducing their life points by 2½. For lore, the nature of these disasters can be physical, magical, deliberate, and/or accidental at the writer's choice. If a dragon is rolled more than once, the effect [i]does not[/i] stack. The dragon in second place will receive the effect unless already inflicted, or so on until one of the dragons in the list is impacted. The effect can end prematurely if every dragon has already been inflicted before challenge rollover. This effect begins immediately. [i]This effect is considered positive on behalf of the active faction and negative on behalf of the opposing faction.[/i] [center][b][u]Windy Disorientation:[b][/u] [Item="Zephyr Acuity Fragment"][Item="Zephyr Bolt"][item="Disorient"][item="Gust Slash"][Item="Zephyr Might Fragment"][/center] Generate a randomized list of the adult dragons of the active faction and make a note of the dragon at the top. Every day until the effect ends, flip a coin. On a result of heads, the dragon continues to fight for their faction as normal; on a result of tails, they function as a member of their opposing faction. If they are fighting for their opposing faction on the day before challenge roll over ("day" 7 of the challenge "week"), they pledge their allegiance to the opposing faction from then on. This effect begins on the opposing faction's next turn. [i]This effect is considered negative on behalf of the active faction and positive on behalf of the opposing faction.[/i] [/quote]
The Tides of War -- Elemental Stones

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other [guy] die for his."
-- George S. Patton

Battle stones and loot crate items don't just count as items in a Faction's Hoard -- they also influence what happens in the Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge!

Generally, there are two varieties of items that influence the tides of war: elemental battle stones, and everything else. These are divided into two separate sections since they involve different mechanics. This post will exclusively discuss the elemental battle stones.

Elemental Battle Stones wrote:
General Rules:

Every time you earn an elemental battle stone, you must make a certain number of tallies depending on its element and "potency." When 10 total tallies are reached, its effect takes place.

To pick a dragon or the dragons who are inflicted, use the list randomizer linked in the first post.

Effects last until challenge rollover.

When 10 tallies are exceeded, the excess is lost. Each collection of tallies restarts at zero.

The number of tallies per elemental battle stone category is as follows:

• 1 for Acuity or Might Fragments.

• 2 for the Bolt or Slash stones.

• 3 for the advanced mage stones.

Additionally, if your faction has elemental battle stones that cannot be applied to any member of your current faction, then you can make a choice to either hoardsell them and add their finances to your Faction Hoard, or hold onto them on the chance that another dragon of that element will make its way to your ranks soon.

--

Arcane Enfeeblement:

Magical Acuity Fragment Mana Bolt Enfeeble Rune Slash Magical Might Fragment

Generate a randomized list of the adult dragons of the opposing faction. The one at the top, through poor health or a spell, has become too weak to fight in the area of their level and must instead gain experience only in the lowest levelled area applicable.

If the enfeebled dragon is at Level 3 or below, then the effect of this stone is ignored until they reach Level 4.

This effect begins on the opposing faction's next turn.

This effect is considered positive on behalf of the active faction and negative on behalf of the opposing faction.

Earthly Fossilization:

Earthen Acuity Fragment Boulder Bolt Fossilize Rock Slash Earthen Might Fragment

Generate a randomized list of the adult dragons of the opposing faction. The one at the top is indisposed and unable to fight in the Coliseum. However, their lost life points are halved in the meantime (rounded up to the nearest ½).

Fiery Sear:

Fiery Acuity Fragment Flame Bolt Sear Blazing Slash Fiery Might Fragment

Generate a randomized list of all of the dragons of the opposing faction. The one at the top suffers a magical burn. While they have this burn, they lose double the number of life points they would have lost normally.

Icy Congealment:

Frozen Acuity Fragment Frigid Bolt Congeal Freezing Slash Frozen Might Fragment

Generate a randomized list of the adult dragons of the active faction. The one at the top has become discontent with their faction and is considering leaving. If they lose any life points in the Coliseum before the effect ends, then they will leave their active faction and pledge their loyalty to the opposing faction.

This effect begins immediately.

This effect is considered negative on behalf of the active faction and positive on behalf of the opposing faction.

Light Enamorment:

Shining Acuity Fragment Bright Bolt Enamor Blinding Slash Shining Might Fragment

Generate a randomized list of the adult dragons of the active faction and the adult dragons in the opposing faction. The one at the top of the active faction's list has become infatuated with the first breeding-compatible dragon closest to the top of the opposing faction's list. If none are breeding-compatible with the dragon at the top of the active faction's list, then the second dragon is affected, or so on until the Light Enamorment effect can occur.

Every day until the effect ends, roll one die. On a result of 1 through 3, nothing special happens. On a result of 4 or 5, the infatuated dragon will function as a member of the opposing faction for a day in an effort to woo their crush. On a result of 6, the infatuated dragon and their crush nest together; if either or both of them aren't RTB at the time or if either or both are already on a nest, then treat a 6 as a 4 or 5 result.

If a nest is made, roll a die for each hatchling born from oldest to youngest.

• On a 1 through 4, the hatchling joins the faction of the infatuated dragon’s crush.

• On a 5 or 6, the hatchling joins the faction of the infatuated dragon.

This effect is considered negative on behalf of the active faction and positive on behalf of the opposing faction.

Lightning Shock:

Charged Acuity Fragment Shock Bolt Shock Thunder Slash Charged Might Fragment

Generate a randomized list of the adult dragons of the opposing faction. The one at the top has been shocked and disgusted by the actions of their faction and is considering leaving. If they lose any life points in the Coliseum before the effect ends, then they will leave their faction and pledge their loyalty to the active faction.

Natural Venom:

Natural Acuity Fragment Leaf Bolt Envenom Jungle Slash Natural Might Fragment

Generate a randomized list of all the dragons of the opposing faction. The one at the top has been poisoned by a member of your active faction. At the start of every day until the effect ends (or until the dragon dies), they are guaranteed to lose ½ of a life point.

Plague Contamination:

Diseased Acuity Fragment Vile Bolt Contaminate Pestilent Slash Diseased Might Fragment

Generate a randomized list of all the dragons of the active faction. The one at the top has fallen ill. At the start of every day until the effect ends (or until the dragon dies), they are guaranteed to lose ½ of a life point.

Shadow Shroud:

Dark Acuity Fragment Dark Bolt Shroud Mist Slash Dark Might Fragment

Generate a randomized list of the adult dragons of the active faction every day until the effect ends. Each day, the one at the top of the list will be a double agent and serve as the guaranteed dragon in the opposing faction's Coliseum party; however, every time an "interesting" Coliseum drop occurs while fighting with their opposing faction, there is a chance that the double agent will steal it and bring it back with them to their active faction.

A die is rolled every time an "interesting" Coliseum drop occurs.

• On a 1 through 4, nothing happens.

• On a 5 or 6, the double agent takes the "interesting" Coliseum drop and its effects are applied to their active faction, including adding any applicable items to their Faction Hoard.

Watery Drowning:

Aquatic Acuity Fragment Hydro Bolt Drown Wave Slash Aquatic Might Fragment

Generate a randomized list of all the dragons of the opposing faction every day until the effect ends. At the start of each day, the one at the top of the list faces a near-death (or deadly) experience due to an insurgence of terrible disasters, reducing their life points by 2½. For lore, the nature of these disasters can be physical, magical, deliberate, and/or accidental at the writer's choice.

If a dragon is rolled more than once, the effect does not stack. The dragon in second place will receive the effect unless already inflicted, or so on until one of the dragons in the list is impacted. The effect can end prematurely if every dragon has already been inflicted before challenge rollover.

Windy Disorientation:

Zephyr Acuity Fragment Zephyr Bolt Disorient Gust Slash Zephyr Might Fragment

Generate a randomized list of the adult dragons of the active faction and make a note of the dragon at the top. Every day until the effect ends, flip a coin. On a result of heads, the dragon continues to fight for their faction as normal; on a result of tails, they function as a member of their opposing faction.

If they are fighting for their opposing faction on the day before challenge roll over ("day" 7 of the challenge "week"), they pledge their allegiance to the opposing faction from then on.

[center][size=6]The Tides of War -- Everything Else[/size] [size=2][i]"Bad things do happen in the world, like war, natural disasters, disease. But out of those situations always arise stories of ordinary people doing extraordinary things."[/i] -- Daryn Kagan[/size][/center] Battle stones and loot crate items don't just count as items in a [b]Faction's Hoard[/b] -- they also influence what happens in the Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge! Generally, there are two varieties of items that influence the tides of war: elemental battle stones, and everything else. These are divided into two separate sections since they involve different mechanics. This post will exclusively discuss everything [i]except[/i] the elemental battle stones. [quote="Everything Else"] [center][b][u]Accents:[/b][/u] [item="Accent: Janus Trap"][/center] If you receive a non-festival accent from a Coliseum loot crate, then every dragon in the party who found the crate receives 2 additional life points. If you receive an accent from a festival chest, then every dragon in the party who found the chest receives 1 additional life point. [center][b][u]Acuity Fragment:[/b][/u] [item="Acuity Fragment"][/center] Add two tallies to any tallyable effect that would positively impact the active faction. This can be randomized if desired. (A list of these can be found under [b]Scholar[/b].) [center][b][u]Aid:[/b][/u] [item="Aid"][/center] Generate a randomized list of the dragons of the active faction. The one at the top is given 2½ additional life points. [center][b][u]Ambush:[/b][/u] [item="Ambush"][/center] Roll a die for each dragon in the opposing faction. [LIST] [*]On a [b]1[/b], nothing happens. [*]On a [b]2[/b], that dragon loses ½ of a life point. [*]On a [b]3[/b], that dragon loses 1 life point. [*]On a [b]4[/b], that dragon loses 1½ life points. [*]On a [b]5[/b], that dragon loses 2 life points. [*]On a [b]6[/b], that dragon loses 2½ life points. [/LIST] [center][b][u]Anticipate:[/b][/u] [item="Anticipate"][/center] If the opposing faction tallies up one of the tide of war effects in a way that would negatively impact the active faction, then it is ignored. This stone's effect lasts until challenge rollover. [center][b][u]Berserker:[/b][/u] [item="Berserker"][/center] [LIST=1] [*]Pull up a list of the tallies for the active [i]and[/i] opposing factions. [*]Make a note of how many tallies are queued for effects that would [i]negatively affect[/i] the active faction. These effects are: [LIST] [*]Icy Congealment [*]Light Enamorment [*]Plague Contamination [*]Windy Disorientation [/LIST] [*]Erase the tallies from the active faction's negative queues, putting them at zero. [*]Add those tallies, [i]plus five[/i], to each of the respective queues of the opposing faction. [/LIST] If two or more queues for the opposing faction fill up simultaneously, then resolve them in alphabetical order by element. [center][b][u]Bolster:[/b][/u] [item="Bolster"][/center] Until challenge rollover, the dragon with the fewest life points of the active faction suffers half of the usual life point penalties, rounded up to the nearest ½. If there is a tie for the dragon with the fewest life points, then both receive this bonus until one falls below the other. [center][b][u]Clobber:[/b][/u] [item="Clobber"][/center] Generate a randomized list of the dragons of the the opposing faction. The one at the top is pummeled and loses 1½ life points. [center][b][u]Concentration:[/b][/u] [item="Concentration"][/center] Until challenge rollover, the tally count of elemental battle stones that would negatively impact the opposing faction [i]or[/i] positively impact the active faction is doubled. [center][b][u]Contuse:[/b][/u] [item="Contuse"][/center] Generate a randomized list of the dragons of the opposing faction. The one at the top suffers an accident and immediately loses 2 life points. [center][b][u]Discipline:[/b][/u] [item="Discipline"][/center] Roll a die for each dragon in the active faction. [LIST] [*]On a [b]1[/b], nothing happens. [*]On a [b]2[/b], that dragon gains ½ of a life point. [*]On a [b]3[/b], that dragon gains 1 life point. [*]On a [b]4[/b], that dragon gains 1½ life points. [*]On a [b]5[/b], that dragon gains 2 life points. [*]On a [b]6[/b], that dragon gains 2½ life points. [/LIST] [center][b][u]Eliminate:[/b][/u] [item="Eliminate"][/center] Determine which members of the opposing faction have these traits: the highest level, and the most life points. Make a note of any ties or overlap, if applicable. All of these qualifying dragons are immediately eliminated and must be removed from the challenge. [center][b][u]Field Manual:[/b][/u] [item="Field Manual"][/center] Until challenge rollover, the active faction suffers life point penalties at [i]half[/i] the usual rate (rounded up to the nearest ½), and the opposing faction suffers life point penalties at [i]double[/i] the usual rate. This does not stack if the same faction receives a Field Manual more than once in a week. If both factions receive a Field Manual within the same week, then their effects cancel out. [center][b][u]Food (from a Loot Crate):[/b][/u] [item="Cindervine"][item="Day Lilies"][item="Ivy"][item="Rotala"][item="Topaz Guppy"][/center] For every piece of food obtained in loot crates on a given day, generate a randomized list of the dragons of the opposing faction. The dragon at the top of the list suffers ½ a life point penalty from a lack of rations. If the dragon is rolled more than once, they do not suffer an additional ½ a life point penalty and the "roll" for hunger is wasted. For instance, if the active faction obtained two pieces of food and rolled for the same dragon of the opposing faction twice, that dragon only loses ½ a life point [i]and[/i] no other dragons of the opposing faction are affected. [center][b][u]Glass Hybrid Fragment:[/b][/u] [item="Glass Hybrid Fragment"][/center] Every Lightning, Ice, and Arcane dragon in the active faction receives 1 life point, [i]and[/i] the faction gets a 550t bonus for their finances. [center][b][u]Guard:[/b][/u] [item="Guard"][/center] Until challenge rollover, the dragon with the most life points in the Coliseum party at any given time will stand in and take the life point penalty of the dragon with the least. This stone has no effect if all the dragons in the party have the same number of life points [i]or[/i] if there's a tie for the dragon with the most or fewest life points in the Coliseum party at the time. As soon as there's a clear difference, this stone takes effect. [center][b][u]Haste:[/b][/u] [item="Haste"][/center] Until challenge rollover, the multiplier for the number of battles the active faction must complete changes from 3 per adult, battle-ready dragon to 4. [LIST] [*]If you have your own custom count for battles for day, multiply the number of daily battles by 1.25. Round up to the nearest number and have the active faction complete that number of battles per row occupied instead. [/LIST] [center][b][u]Materials or Trinkets (from a Loot Crate):[/b][/u] [item="Birch Twigs"][item="Broken Bottle"][item="Gravel"][item="Ice Crystal"][item="Waterskin"][/center] For every material or trinket obtained in loot crates on a given day, the active faction gains additional treasure for their faction finances. The amount of treasure is equivalent to one die roll times 10. (This can be any multiple of 10 through 60.) [center][b][u]Meditate:[/b][/u] [item="Meditate"][/center] One of the dragons in the party that found the stone receives 1½ life points. Which it is depends on the following results: [LIST] [*]On a [b]1 or 2[/b], it's given to the dragon with the least experience of the party. [*]On a [b]3 or 4[/b], it's given to the dragon with the intermediate experience of the party. [*]On a [b]5 or 6[/b], it's given to the dragon with the most experience of the party. [/LIST] [center][b][u]Might Fragment:[/b][/u] [item="Might Fragment"][/center] Add one tally to any tallyable effect that would negatively impact the active faction. This can be randomized if desired. (A list of these can be found under [b]Berserker[/b].) [center][b][u]Obsidian Hybrid Fragment:[/b][/u] [item="Obsidian Hybrid Fragment"][/center] Every Earth, Plague, Shadow, and Fire dragon in the active faction receives 1 life point. [center][b][u]Sap:[/b][/u] [item="Sap"][/center] Generate a randomized list of the dragons of the active faction [i]and[/i] the dragons in the opposing faction. The dragon at the top of the list of the active faction steals a fourth of the life points (rounded down to the nearest ½) from the dragon at the top of the list of the opposing faction. If the dragon of the opposing faction has 1½ or fewer life points remaining at the time of this attack, then the active dragon gains no life points; however, the opposing dragon is instantly eliminated from the challenge. [center][b][u]Scholar:[/b][/u] [item="Scholar"][/center] [LIST=1] [*]Pull up a list of the tallies for the active [i]and[/i] opposing factions. [*]Make a note of how many tallies are queued for effects that would [i]positively affect[/i] the opposing faction. These effects are: [LIST] [*]Familiars [*]Arcane Enfeeblement [*]Earthly Fossilization [*]Fiery Sear [*]Lightning Shock [*]Natural Venom [*]Shadow Shroud [*]Watery Drowning [/LIST] [*]Erase the tallies from the opposing faction's positive queues, putting them at zero. [*]Add the same number of tallies to the respective queues of the active faction. [/LIST] If two or more queues for the active faction fill up simultaneously, resolve the familiar queue [i]first[/i], and then resolve the elemental stone queues in alphabetical order by element. [center][b][u]Scratch:[/b][/u] [item="Scratch"][/center] One of the dragons in the party that found the stone is immediately damaged for a penalty of 2 life points. Which it is depends on the following results: [LIST] [*]On a [b]1 or 2[/b], it affects the dragon with the least experience of the party. [*]On a [b]3 or 4[/b], it affects the dragon with the intermediate experience of the party. [*]On a [b]5 or 6[/b], it affects the dragon with the most experience of the party. [/LIST] [center][b][u]Shale Hybrid Fragment:[/b][/u] [item="Shale Hybrid Fragment"][/center] Every Water, Nature, Light, and Wind dragon in the active faction receives 1 life point. [center][b][u]Shred:[/b][/u] [item="Shred"][/center] One of the dragons in the party that found the stone is damaged for a penalty of 3 life points. Which it is depends on the following results: [LIST] [*]On a [b]1 or 2[/b], it affects the dragon with the least experience of the party. [*]On a [b]3 or 4[/b], it affects the dragon with the intermediate experience of the party. [*]On a [b]5 or 6[/b], it affects the dragon with the most experience of the party. [/LIST] [center][b][u]Skins:[/b][/u] [item="Skin: Augite Protector"][/center] If you receive a non-festival skin from a Coliseum loot crate, then every dragon in the party who found the crate receives an additional 4 life points. If you receive a skin from a festival chest, then every dragon in the party who found the chest receives 2 additional life points. [center][b][u]Rally:[/b][/u] [item="Rally"][/center] Three new Level 1 adult dragons should be added immediately to the active faction. They should be of valid elements for the faction, and if you are lacking a member of any particular element(s), one or more should be of that element to maximize variety. [center][b][u]Reflect:[/b][/u] [item="Reflect"][/center] Until challenge rollover, when any dragon from the active faction is about to suffer a life point penalty, roll a die. [LIST] [*]On a [b]1 through 4[/b], they lose their life point(s) as normal. [*]On a [b]5 or 6[/b], generate a randomized list of the dragons of the opposing faction. The one at the top suffers the life point penalty instead of its intended target. [/LIST] [center][b][u]Regeneration:[/b][/u] [item="Regeneration"][/center] Generate a randomized list of the dragons of the active faction [i]every day[/i] until challenge rollover. At the start of each day, the one at the top is given an additional ½ of a life point. [center][b][u]Ward:[/b][/u] [item="Ward"][/center] Until challenge rollover, the dragon with the most life points of the active faction suffers ½ of the usual life point penalties, rounded up to the nearest ½. If there is a tie for the dragon with the most life points, then both receive this bonus until one falls below the other. [/quote]
The Tides of War -- Everything Else

"Bad things do happen in the world, like war, natural disasters, disease. But out of those situations always arise stories of ordinary people doing extraordinary things."
-- Daryn Kagan

Battle stones and loot crate items don't just count as items in a Faction's Hoard -- they also influence what happens in the Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge!

Generally, there are two varieties of items that influence the tides of war: elemental battle stones, and everything else. These are divided into two separate sections since they involve different mechanics. This post will exclusively discuss everything except the elemental battle stones.

Everything Else wrote:
Accents:
Accent: Janus Trap

If you receive a non-festival accent from a Coliseum loot crate, then every dragon in the party who found the crate receives 2 additional life points.

If you receive an accent from a festival chest, then every dragon in the party who found the chest receives 1 additional life point.

Acuity Fragment:
Acuity Fragment

Add two tallies to any tallyable effect that would positively impact the active faction. This can be randomized if desired. (A list of these can be found under Scholar.)

Aid:
Aid

Generate a randomized list of the dragons of the active faction. The one at the top is given 2½ additional life points.

Ambush:
Ambush

Roll a die for each dragon in the opposing faction.

• On a 1, nothing happens.

• On a 2, that dragon loses ½ of a life point.

• On a 3, that dragon loses 1 life point.

• On a 4, that dragon loses 1½ life points.

• On a 5, that dragon loses 2 life points.

• On a 6, that dragon loses 2½ life points.

Anticipate:
Anticipate

If the opposing faction tallies up one of the tide of war effects in a way that would negatively impact the active faction, then it is ignored. This stone's effect lasts until challenge rollover.

Berserker:
Berserker

1. Pull up a list of the tallies for the active and opposing factions.

2. Make a note of how many tallies are queued for effects that would negatively affect the active faction. These effects are:

• Icy Congealment

• Light Enamorment

• Plague Contamination

• Windy Disorientation

3. Erase the tallies from the active faction's negative queues, putting them at zero.

4. Add those tallies, plus five, to each of the respective queues of the opposing faction.

If two or more queues for the opposing faction fill up simultaneously, then resolve them in alphabetical order by element.

Bolster:
Bolster

Until challenge rollover, the dragon with the fewest life points of the active faction suffers half of the usual life point penalties, rounded up to the nearest ½. If there is a tie for the dragon with the fewest life points, then both receive this bonus until one falls below the other.

Clobber:
Clobber

Generate a randomized list of the dragons of the the opposing faction. The one at the top is pummeled and loses 1½ life points.

Concentration:
Concentration

Until challenge rollover, the tally count of elemental battle stones that would negatively impact the opposing faction or positively impact the active faction is doubled.

Contuse:
Contuse

Generate a randomized list of the dragons of the opposing faction. The one at the top suffers an accident and immediately loses 2 life points.

Discipline:
Discipline

Roll a die for each dragon in the active faction.

• On a 1, nothing happens.

• On a 2, that dragon gains ½ of a life point.

• On a 3, that dragon gains 1 life point.

• On a 4, that dragon gains 1½ life points.

• On a 5, that dragon gains 2 life points.

• On a 6, that dragon gains 2½ life points.

Eliminate:
Eliminate

Determine which members of the opposing faction have these traits: the highest level, and the most life points. Make a note of any ties or overlap, if applicable. All of these qualifying dragons are immediately eliminated and must be removed from the challenge.

Field Manual:
Field Manual

Until challenge rollover, the active faction suffers life point penalties at half the usual rate (rounded up to the nearest ½), and the opposing faction suffers life point penalties at double the usual rate.

This does not stack if the same faction receives a Field Manual more than once in a week. If both factions receive a Field Manual within the same week, then their effects cancel out.

Food (from a Loot Crate):
Cindervine Day Lilies Ivy Rotala Topaz Guppy

For every piece of food obtained in loot crates on a given day, generate a randomized list of the dragons of the opposing faction. The dragon at the top of the list suffers ½ a life point penalty from a lack of rations.

If the dragon is rolled more than once, they do not suffer an additional ½ a life point penalty and the "roll" for hunger is wasted. For instance, if the active faction obtained two pieces of food and rolled for the same dragon of the opposing faction twice, that dragon only loses ½ a life point and no other dragons of the opposing faction are affected.

Glass Hybrid Fragment:
Glass Hybrid Fragment

Every Lightning, Ice, and Arcane dragon in the active faction receives 1 life point, and the faction gets a 550t bonus for their finances.

Guard:
Guard

Until challenge rollover, the dragon with the most life points in the Coliseum party at any given time will stand in and take the life point penalty of the dragon with the least.

This stone has no effect if all the dragons in the party have the same number of life points or if there's a tie for the dragon with the most or fewest life points in the Coliseum party at the time. As soon as there's a clear difference, this stone takes effect.

Haste:
Haste

Until challenge rollover, the multiplier for the number of battles the active faction must complete changes from 3 per adult, battle-ready dragon to 4.

• If you have your own custom count for battles for day, multiply the number of daily battles by 1.25. Round up to the nearest number and have the active faction complete that number of battles per row occupied instead.

Materials or Trinkets (from a Loot Crate):
Birch Twigs Broken Bottle Gravel Ice Crystal Waterskin

For every material or trinket obtained in loot crates on a given day, the active faction gains additional treasure for their faction finances. The amount of treasure is equivalent to one die roll times 10. (This can be any multiple of 10 through 60.)

Meditate:
Meditate

One of the dragons in the party that found the stone receives 1½ life points. Which it is depends on the following results:

• On a 1 or 2, it's given to the dragon with the least experience of the party.

• On a 3 or 4, it's given to the dragon with the intermediate experience of the party.

• On a 5 or 6, it's given to the dragon with the most experience of the party.

Might Fragment:
Might Fragment

Add one tally to any tallyable effect that would negatively impact the active faction. This can be randomized if desired. (A list of these can be found under Berserker.)

Obsidian Hybrid Fragment:
Obsidian Hybrid Fragment

Every Earth, Plague, Shadow, and Fire dragon in the active faction receives 1 life point.

Sap:
Sap

Generate a randomized list of the dragons of the active faction and the dragons in the opposing faction. The dragon at the top of the list of the active faction steals a fourth of the life points (rounded down to the nearest ½) from the dragon at the top of the list of the opposing faction.

If the dragon of the opposing faction has 1½ or fewer life points remaining at the time of this attack, then the active dragon gains no life points; however, the opposing dragon is instantly eliminated from the challenge.

Scholar:
Scholar

1. Pull up a list of the tallies for the active and opposing factions.

2. Make a note of how many tallies are queued for effects that would positively affect the opposing faction. These effects are:

• Familiars

• Arcane Enfeeblement

• Earthly Fossilization

• Fiery Sear

• Lightning Shock

• Natural Venom

• Shadow Shroud

• Watery Drowning

3. Erase the tallies from the opposing faction's positive queues, putting them at zero.

4. Add the same number of tallies to the respective queues of the active faction.

If two or more queues for the active faction fill up simultaneously, resolve the familiar queue first, and then resolve the elemental stone queues in alphabetical order by element.

Scratch:
Scratch

One of the dragons in the party that found the stone is immediately damaged for a penalty of 2 life points. Which it is depends on the following results:

• On a 1 or 2, it affects the dragon with the least experience of the party.

• On a 3 or 4, it affects the dragon with the intermediate experience of the party.

• On a 5 or 6, it affects the dragon with the most experience of the party.

Shale Hybrid Fragment:
Shale Hybrid Fragment

Every Water, Nature, Light, and Wind dragon in the active faction receives 1 life point.

Shred:
Shred

One of the dragons in the party that found the stone is damaged for a penalty of 3 life points. Which it is depends on the following results:

• On a 1 or 2, it affects the dragon with the least experience of the party.

• On a 3 or 4, it affects the dragon with the intermediate experience of the party.

• On a 5 or 6, it affects the dragon with the most experience of the party.

Skins:
Skin: Augite Protector

If you receive a non-festival skin from a Coliseum loot crate, then every dragon in the party who found the crate receives an additional 4 life points.

If you receive a skin from a festival chest, then every dragon in the party who found the chest receives 2 additional life points.

Rally:
Rally

Three new Level 1 adult dragons should be added immediately to the active faction. They should be of valid elements for the faction, and if you are lacking a member of any particular element(s), one or more should be of that element to maximize variety.

Reflect:
Reflect

Until challenge rollover, when any dragon from the active faction is about to suffer a life point penalty, roll a die.

• On a 1 through 4, they lose their life point(s) as normal.

• On a 5 or 6, generate a randomized list of the dragons of the opposing faction. The one at the top suffers the life point penalty instead of its intended target.

Regeneration:
Regeneration

Generate a randomized list of the dragons of the active faction every day until challenge rollover. At the start of each day, the one at the top is given an additional ½ of a life point.

Ward:
Ward

Until challenge rollover, the dragon with the most life points of the active faction suffers ½ of the usual life point penalties, rounded up to the nearest ½. If there is a tie for the dragon with the most life points, then both receive this bonus until one falls below the other.
[center][size=6]Optional Rules[/size] [size=2][i]"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."[/i] -- John F. Kennedy[/size][/center] If you've come looking spice your Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge, then you're in the right place. Below is a list of optional additions or changes for the main rules. Additionally, this is the hub for anyone who's looking to make the variety of their dragons as diverse as possible while introducing some randomness to the mix. More may be added to any of these quote boxes as inspiration comes to me [i]or[/i] as interesting suggestions come in from people who take on the challenge! First things first: optional mechanics changes are listed below. [quote="Optional Mechanics Changes"] [b]Ancient Adjustments:[/b] Ancient dragons are added into the game! They're deeply connected with the wild side of their elements and as a result can become unruly. [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2338903/15#post_53428594]Click here to learn more about their acquisition and effects![/url] [b]Bullheaded Combatants:[/b] If a dragon faints in the Coliseum but doesn't die, they are guaranteed to stay battling for the remainder of that faction's battle quota (unless this causes them to defect to the other side; see [b]The Tides of War -- Elemental Battle Stones; Icy Congealment and Lightning Shock[/b]). [b]Carry Over:[/b] Instead of excess tallies for familiars or elemental battle stones being lost, they carry over to charge the next iteration of that event for that faction. [b]Eye Adjustments:[/b] Eye types are no longer always cosmetic! Mutant eyes now affect dragons by granting them a special "asset" to aid them on their challenge journey. [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2338903/11#post_33568626]Click here to learn more about their acquisition and effects![/url] [b]Familiar Auras:[/b] Every time a familiar with a Flight Rising element drops in the Coliseum, you may add one tally to its appropriate elemental effect as well as one tally to the familiar effect. For neutral familiars, add an additional tally to the familiar effect. [i]This will of course make effects happen quicker so it's recommended if you want a faster-paced TvN![/i] [b]Fateful Motivation:[/b] Every time an "interesting" Coliseum drop happens, another battle must be fought by the active faction before their quota is considered complete. [b]Keep it Simple:[/b] The tallying system is removed. Instead, a familiar's effect only occurs if the dropped familiar has [i]no element[/i] (aka: it has a gray circle icon in the Coliseum), and an elemental battle stone's effect only occurs if the advanced mage stone is dropped (aka: Enfeeble, Fossilize, etc.). [b]Lairtight Variant:[/b] For this variation, getting new dragons is an extremely rare experience! As a result, certain Drops of Fate and Tides of War are altered to accommodate this change. [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2338903/5#post_33301972]Click here and skip to the {*} mark to learn more![/url] [b]Loot Insurance:[/b] Whenever a battle results in no loot, roll a die. Multiply its result by 100 and add that amount of treasure to that faction's finances. [b]Natural Remedies:[/b] Dragons can no longer heal in battle with potions. Ability stones that help dragons recover health (Aid, Regenerate, Sap) are still allowed. Dropped potions can also still be sold for the faction's finances. [b]Neutral Entities:[/b] Wandering dragons aligned to neither side are added! They come with their own set of functionality and slightly altered rules for drops that influence the [b]Tides of War[/b]. [url=http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/qnc/2338903/2#post_32602948]Click here to learn more about wandering dragons![/url] [b]Never Surrender:[/b] Dragons can no longer flee battles. They must stay until the party wins (regardless of fainted casualties) or until the whole party wipes out. [b]Poisoned Potions:[/b] Every time a potion drops, someone in the party who found it suffers a life point penalty. [LIST] [*]The penalty is ½ of a life point for a minor health potion; 1 life point for a health potion; 1½ life points for a major health potion; and 2 life points for a cleansing tonic. [*]On a result of [b]1 or 2[/b], the dragon with the most experience in the party suffers the penalty. [*]On a result of [b]3 or 4[/b], the dragon with the intermediate experience in the party suffers the penalty. [*]On a result of [b]5 or 6[/b], the dragon with the least experience in the party suffers the penalty. [*]If there is a tie in experience for any reason, [i]all[/i] qualifying dragons suffer the penalty. [/LIST] [b]The Price of Cowardice:[/b] Instead of randomizing which dragons (if any) suffer the ½ a life point penalty for fleeing a battle, [i]all of them[/i] suffer the ½ a life point penalty. [b]Priority Party:[/b] The dragon guaranteed to fight in the Coliseum for the faction who fights first on a given day earns an additional ½ of a life point. [b]Stay Determined:[/b] All life point bonuses given throughout the duration of the challenge are [i]doubled.[/i] [b]Sudden Death:[/b] All life point penalties suffered throughout the duration of the challenge are [i]doubled.[/i] [b]Trim the Fat:[/b] Ignore the entire post on [b]Everything Else[/b] in the Tides of War. Those items no longer do anything special for the challenge apart from being applied to the faction hoard or finances. [b]Unlimited Potions:[/b] Instead of having a restriction to the number and type of potions used for or by a faction, you may use them as often as you want for any members of either faction. [b]Unlimited Resources:[/b] Factions no longer have hoards or finances. You can spend as much as you want for battle stones or potions for both factions to use. [b]A War of Extremes:[/b] Changes to elemental battle stone effects are made to immediately incur the most extreme possible result. The following is a list of all applicable changes. If an element isn't listed here, then no change takes place. In order: [LIST] [*][b]Icy Congealment:[/b] The randomized dragon from the active faction immediately pledges their allegiance to the opposing faction. [*][b]Light Enamorment:[/b] The randomized dragons immediately form a nest, if applicable. Otherwise, the randomized dragon from the [i]active[/i] faction functions as a member of the opposing faction for the rest of the week. [*][b]Lightning Shock:[/b] The randomized dragon from the opposing faction immediately pledges their allegiance to the active faction. [*][b]Natural Venom:[/b] Multiply the number of days remaining until Saturday (including the day this takes effect) by ½. The result is the immediate life point penalty suffered by the randomized dragon of the opposing faction. [*][b]Plague Contamination:[/b] Multiply the number of days remaining until Saturday (including the day it takes effect) by ½. The result is the immediate life point penalty suffered by the randomized dragon of the active faction. [*][b]Shadow Shroud:[/b] All "interesting" Coliseum drops are applied to the double agent's faction. [*][b]Watery Drowning:[/b] Generate a random list of the dragons of the opposing faction and count how many days remain until Saturday (including the day it takes effect). Every dragon in those slots suffers an immediate 2½ life point penalty. [*][b]Windy Disorientation:[/b] Flip a coin. If it lands on heads, nothing happens. If it lands on tails, the randomized dragon of the active faction immediately pledges their allegiance to the opposing faction. [/quote] Next comes the variation for dragon selection called [b]Maximum Variety.[/b] This ensures that your team should have as many different kinds of dragons as possible while keeping things suitably random! [quote="Maximum Variety"] [b][u]Extra Random Version:[/b][/u] Every time you have to buy a dragon for a faction, in [i]addition[/i] to following the general guidelines for what element(s) and age (hatchling or dragon) to pick from, perform the following steps: [LIST] [*]Go to the Scrying Workshop. Refresh as many times as necessary to get a modern breed. The breed and gender combination of the random scry will dictate the breed and biological sex of the dragon you pick from the option house. [*]In the Dragons section of the Auction House, filter for the breed, biological sex, age, and for possible element(s). You can also set it up to filter for treasure only or triple-gened only, if desired. [*]Start the search and set the page to show 50 dragons. [*]Set [url=https://www.random.org/]this number randomizer[/url] to 50. Generate a number. Whichever number you get corresponds to the dragon on that page you must adopt! [*]If, for whatever reason, the dragon you were trying to adopt is no longer listed when you search for it, refresh the Auction House page. Then repeat the number randomization and attempt to purchase again. [/LIST] [b][u]Pseudo-Random Version:[/b][/u] Every time you have to buy a dragon for a faction, in [i]addition[/i] to following the general guidelines for what element(s) and age (hatchling or dragon) to pick from, that dragon must fulfill the following qualifications: [LIST] [*]It must be of the biological sex you have less of, if possible. [*]You can filter for triple-gened, if desired. [*]It must be a modern breed that is not represented in that faction, if possible. If there is already at least one dragon of each modern breed in the faction, then it must be of a modern breed with the least number of members, if applicable. [i]Ties qualify; for instance, if you have one breed with two members while all the rest only have one, then the dragon adopted cannot be of the breed with two.[/i] [*]If you want, it should be the cheapest dragon that qualifies, ensuring you don't quite know what you'll get until you buy it! [/LIST] [/quote]
Optional Rules

"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."
-- John F. Kennedy

If you've come looking spice your Tooth vs. Nail Coliseum Challenge, then you're in the right place. Below is a list of optional additions or changes for the main rules. Additionally, this is the hub for anyone who's looking to make the variety of their dragons as diverse as possible while introducing some randomness to the mix.

More may be added to any of these quote boxes as inspiration comes to me or as interesting suggestions come in from people who take on the challenge!

First things first: optional mechanics changes are listed below.

Optional Mechanics Changes wrote:
Ancient Adjustments: Ancient dragons are added into the game! They're deeply connected with the wild side of their elements and as a result can become unruly. Click here to learn more about their acquisition and effects!

Bullheaded Combatants: If a dragon faints in the Coliseum but doesn't die, they are guaranteed to stay battling for the remainder of that faction's battle quota (unless this causes them to defect to the other side; see The Tides of War -- Elemental Battle Stones; Icy Congealment and Lightning Shock).

Carry Over: Instead of excess tallies for familiars or elemental battle stones being lost, they carry over to charge the next iteration of that event for that faction.

Eye Adjustments: Eye types are no longer always cosmetic! Mutant eyes now affect dragons by granting them a special "asset" to aid them on their challenge journey. Click here to learn more about their acquisition and effects!

Familiar Auras: Every time a familiar with a Flight Rising element drops in the Coliseum, you may add one tally to its appropriate elemental effect as well as one tally to the familiar effect. For neutral familiars, add an additional tally to the familiar effect. This will of course make effects happen quicker so it's recommended if you want a faster-paced TvN!

Fateful Motivation: Every time an "interesting" Coliseum drop happens, another battle must be fought by the active faction before their quota is considered complete.

Keep it Simple: The tallying system is removed. Instead, a familiar's effect only occurs if the dropped familiar has no element (aka: it has a gray circle icon in the Coliseum), and an elemental battle stone's effect only occurs if the advanced mage stone is dropped (aka: Enfeeble, Fossilize, etc.).

Lairtight Variant: For this variation, getting new dragons is an extremely rare experience! As a result, certain Drops of Fate and Tides of War are altered to accommodate this change. Click here and skip to the {*} mark to learn more!

Loot Insurance: Whenever a battle results in no loot, roll a die. Multiply its result by 100 and add that amount of treasure to that faction's finances.

Natural Remedies: Dragons can no longer heal in battle with potions. Ability stones that help dragons recover health (Aid, Regenerate, Sap) are still allowed. Dropped potions can also still be sold for the faction's finances.

Neutral Entities: Wandering dragons aligned to neither side are added! They come with their own set of functionality and slightly altered rules for drops that influence the Tides of War. Click here to learn more about wandering dragons!

Never Surrender: Dragons can no longer flee battles. They must stay until the party wins (regardless of fainted casualties) or until the whole party wipes out.

Poisoned Potions: Every time a potion drops, someone in the party who found it suffers a life point penalty.

• The penalty is ½ of a life point for a minor health potion; 1 life point for a health potion; 1½ life points for a major health potion; and 2 life points for a cleansing tonic.

• On a result of 1 or 2, the dragon with the most experience in the party suffers the penalty.

• On a result of 3 or 4, the dragon with the intermediate experience in the party suffers the penalty.

• On a result of 5 or 6, the dragon with the least experience in the party suffers the penalty.

• If there is a tie in experience for any reason, all qualifying dragons suffer the penalty.

The Price of Cowardice: Instead of randomizing which dragons (if any) suffer the ½ a life point penalty for fleeing a battle, all of them suffer the ½ a life point penalty.

Priority Party: The dragon guaranteed to fight in the Coliseum for the faction who fights first on a given day earns an additional ½ of a life point.

Stay Determined: All life point bonuses given throughout the duration of the challenge are doubled.

Sudden Death: All life point penalties suffered throughout the duration of the challenge are doubled.

Trim the Fat: Ignore the entire post on Everything Else in the Tides of War. Those items no longer do anything special for the challenge apart from being applied to the faction hoard or finances.

Unlimited Potions: Instead of having a restriction to the number and type of potions used for or by a faction, you may use them as often as you want for any members of either faction.

Unlimited Resources: Factions no longer have hoards or finances. You can spend as much as you want for battle stones or potions for both factions to use.

A War of Extremes: Changes to elemental battle stone effects are made to immediately incur the most extreme possible result. The following is a list of all applicable changes. If an element isn't listed here, then no change takes place. In order:

• Icy Congealment: The randomized dragon from the active faction immediately pledges their allegiance to the opposing faction.

• Light Enamorment: The randomized dragons immediately form a nest, if applicable. Otherwise, the randomized dragon from the active faction functions as a member of the opposing faction for the rest of the week.

• Lightning Shock: The randomized dragon from the opposing faction immediately pledges their allegiance to the active faction.

• Natural Venom: Multiply the number of days remaining until Saturday (including the day this takes effect) by ½. The result is the immediate life point penalty suffered by the randomized dragon of the opposing faction.

• Plague Contamination: Multiply the number of days remaining until Saturday (including the day it takes effect) by ½. The result is the immediate life point penalty suffered by the randomized dragon of the active faction.

• Shadow Shroud: All "interesting" Coliseum drops are applied to the double agent's faction.

• Watery Drowning: Generate a random list of the dragons of the opposing faction and count how many days remain until Saturday (including the day it takes effect). Every dragon in those slots suffers an immediate 2½ life point penalty.

• Windy Disorientation: Flip a coin. If it lands on heads, nothing happens. If it lands on tails, the randomized dragon of the active faction immediately pledges their allegiance to the opposing faction.

Next comes the variation for dragon selection called Maximum Variety. This ensures that your team should have as many different kinds of dragons as possible while keeping things suitably random!

Maximum Variety wrote:
Extra Random Version:

Every time you have to buy a dragon for a faction, in addition to following the general guidelines for what element(s) and age (hatchling or dragon) to pick from, perform the following steps:

• Go to the Scrying Workshop. Refresh as many times as necessary to get a modern breed. The breed and gender combination of the random scry will dictate the breed and biological sex of the dragon you pick from the option house.

• In the Dragons section of the Auction House, filter for the breed, biological sex, age, and for possible element(s). You can also set it up to filter for treasure only or triple-gened only, if desired.

• Start the search and set the page to show 50 dragons.

• Set this number randomizer to 50. Generate a number. Whichever number you get corresponds to the dragon on that page you must adopt!

• If, for whatever reason, the dragon you were trying to adopt is no longer listed when you search for it, refresh the Auction House page. Then repeat the number randomization and attempt to purchase again.

Pseudo-Random Version:

Every time you have to buy a dragon for a faction, in addition to following the general guidelines for what element(s) and age (hatchling or dragon) to pick from, that dragon must fulfill the following qualifications:

• It must be of the biological sex you have less of, if possible.

• You can filter for triple-gened, if desired.

• It must be a modern breed that is not represented in that faction, if possible. If there is already at least one dragon of each modern breed in the faction, then it must be of a modern breed with the least number of members, if applicable. Ties qualify; for instance, if you have one breed with two members while all the rest only have one, then the dragon adopted cannot be of the breed with two.

• If you want, it should be the cheapest dragon that qualifies, ensuring you don't quite know what you'll get until you buy it!
FAQ

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
-- Joseph Campbell

There's nothing here yet, but if I get a question more than once, the answer is going here if it's easy to explain with words! Sometimes it could also get a companion answer in the Extended Examples post below.
FAQ

"The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure."
-- Joseph Campbell

There's nothing here yet, but if I get a question more than once, the answer is going here if it's easy to explain with words! Sometimes it could also get a companion answer in the Extended Examples post below.
Extended Examples

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example."
-- Mark Twain

There's nothing here yet, but if I get a question more than once, the answer is going here if it's easier to show it then tell it! Sometimes it could also get a companion answer in the FAQ post above.
Extended Examples

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example."
-- Mark Twain

There's nothing here yet, but if I get a question more than once, the answer is going here if it's easier to show it then tell it! Sometimes it could also get a companion answer in the FAQ post above.
[center][size=6]Post Update Example Format[/size][/center] The following quote box is a sample for update posts for anyone who wants to make a thread documenting their TvNCC. Feel free to use it, doctor it, or make your own as you wish! [quote] [size=5]I. Initiative and Daily Bonus[/size] [b][i]Insert result.[/i][/b] [1] goes first. [b]½ LP Boost?:[/b] Yes or No. [i]It's only "yes" on a Sunday when all adult dragons receive an extra ½ of a life point.[/i] [size=5]II. Start of Day: [1][/size] [b]Important Notes:[/b] [i]This is where you take note of any members that are subjected to effects for the rest of the week, such as Arcane Enfeeblement, Earthly Fossilization, and Fiery Sear.[/i] [LIST] [*][i]Name of effect.[/i] [Dragon Name]. [*]etc. [/LIST] [b]False Allies:[/b] [i]This is where you would put the names of dragons from [2] who are under the effects of Light Enamorment, Shadow Shroud, or Windy Disorientation. This is to catalog which adult dragon(s) from [2] will function as a dragon from [1] for the day, OR if a nest is made in the case of Light Enamorment.[/i] [LIST] [*][i]Name of effect.[/i] [Dragon Name]. Coin flip or die result goes here, if applicable. [*]etc. [/LIST] [b]Daily Effects:[/b] [i]This is where you discuss dragons that are subjected to effects starting at the beginning of the day, such as Natural Venom, Plague Contamination, or Watery Drowning.[/i] [LIST] [*][i]Name of effect.[/i] [Dragon Name]. Starting LP: X. Ending LP: Y. [*]etc. [/LIST] [b]Guaranteed Dragon:[/b] [Dragon Name]. Starting LP: X. [i]This is the dragon that's guaranteed to fight in the Coliseum for the day.[/i] [b]Number of Battles:[/b] Y. [size=5]III. Coliseum Log: [1][/size] [center][b]1:[/b] [i]Insert images of notable loot here. Discuss effects taken immediately from notable loot, if applicable. Discuss life point gains or losses for any dragons, if applicable.[/i] [b]2:[/b] [i]Etc.[/i][/center] [size=5]IV. Hoard Update: [1][/size] [b]Faction Finances:[/b] X treasure. [b]Total Tallies:[/b] [LIST] [*]Familiars: X. [*]Arcane: X. [*]etc. [/LIST] [i]Insert images of all applying items currently in the hoard (and their quantity, if more than one).[/i] [size=5]V. Start of Day: [2][/size] [b]Important Notes:[/b] [i]This is where you take note of any members that are subjected to effects for the rest of the week, such as Arcane Enfeeblement, Earthly Fossilization, and Fiery Sear.[/i] [LIST] [*][i]Name of effect.[/i] [Dragon Name]. [/LIST] [b]False Allies:[/b] [i]This is where you would put the names of dragons from [1] who are under the effects of Light Enamorment, Shadow Shroud, or Windy Disorientation. This is to catalog which adult dragon(s) from [1] will function as a dragon from [2] for the day, OR if a nest is made in the case of Light Enamorment.[/i] [LIST] [*][i]Name of effect.[/i] [Dragon Name]. Coin flip or die result goes here, if applicable. [*]etc. [/LIST] [b]Daily Effects:[/b] [i]This is where you discuss dragons that are subjected to effects starting at the beginning of the day, such as Natural Venom, Plague Contamination, or Watery Drowning.[/i] [LIST] [*][i]Name of effect.[/i] [Dragon Name]. Starting LP: X. Ending LP: Y. [*]etc. [/LIST] [b]Guaranteed Dragon:[/b] [Dragon Name]. Starting LP: X. [i]This is the dragon that's guaranteed to fight in the Coliseum for the day.[/i] [b]Number of Battles:[/b] Y. [size=5]VI. Coliseum Log: [2][/size] [center][b]1:[/b] [i]Insert images of notable loot here. Discuss effects taken immediately from notable loot, if applicable. Discuss life point gains or losses for any dragons, if applicable.[/i] [b]2:[/b] [i]Etc.[/i][/center] [size=5]VII. Hoard Update: [2][/size] [b]Faction Finances:[/b] X treasure. [b]Total Tallies:[/b] [LIST] [*]Familiars: X. [*]Arcane: X. [*]etc. [/LIST] [i]Insert images of all applying items currently in the hoard (and their quantity, if more than one).[/i] [size=5]VIII. End of Day[/size] [i]This is when false allies are placed back into their normal faction (unless defected in the case of Windy Disorientation).[/i] [b]Ration Penalties for [1]:[/b] List all dragons from [1] who got a ration penalty, if any. [b]Ration Penalties for [2]:[/b] List all dragons from [2] who got a ration penalty, if any. [b]Dragons in [1]:[/b] Dragon A (LP number), Dragon B (LP number), etc. [b]Dragons in [2]:[/b] Dragon C (LP number), Dragon D (LP number), etc. [/quote] Here is a sample that's filled out for one of the factions. [quote] [size=5]I. Initiative and Daily Bonus[/size] [b]Heads[/b] Faction Tooth goes first; Faction Nail goes second. [b]½ LP Boost?:[/b] No. [size=5]II. Start of Day: Faction Tooth[/size] [b]Important Notes:[/b] [LIST] [*][i]Arcane Enfeeblement.[/i] Aylen. [*][i]Earthly Fossilization.[/i] Belial. [/LIST] [b]False Allies:[/b] [LIST] [*][i]Light Enamorment.[/i] Cenk, for Daphne. Die result: 3. Allied with Faction Nail for today. [*][i]Shadow Shroud.[/i] Emile. Automatically Faction Tooth's guaranteed Coli fighter. [*][i]Windy Disorientation:[/i] Flann. Coin result: Tails. Allied with Faction Tooth for today. [/LIST] [b]Daily Effects:[/b] [LIST] [*][i]Natural Venom.[/i] Gall. Starting LP: 3.5. Ending LP: 3. [*][i]Watery Drowning.[/i] Hector. Starting LP: 10. Ending LP: 7.5. [/LIST] [b]Guaranteed Dragon:[/b] Emile. Starting LP: 5.5. [b]Number of Battles:[/b] 30. [size=5]III. Coliseum Log: Faction Tooth[/size] [center][b]1:[/b] [item="Vile Bolt"][item="Leafy Pack"] Die Roll for Vile Bolt: 4. Emile doesn't steal it. Die Roll for Leafy Pack: 6. Emile steals it for Faction Nail. Added two tallies to Plague Contamination effect (total: 2). Added Vile Bolt to faction hoard. [b]2:[/b] Aylen fainted. LP Remaining: 5. [b]3:[/b] [item="Drown"] Die Roll for Drown: 2. Emile doesn't steal it. Tallies max out Watery Drowning effect. Faction Nail Random List Selects: Cenk. LP Remaining: 0. Cenk is eliminated from Faction Nail.[/center] [size=5]IV. Hoard Update: Faction Tooth[/size] [b]Faction Finances:[/b] 1210 treasure. [b]Total Tallies:[/b] [LIST] [*]Plague: 2. [/LIST] [item="Vile Bolt"][item="Drown"] [center][b][i]Then Faction Nail does all of their stuff.[/i][/b][/center] [size=5]VIII. End of Day[/size] [b]Ration Penalties for Faction Tooth:[/b] None. [b]Ration Penalties for Faction Nail:[/b] None. [b]Dragons in Tooth:[/b] Aylen, Belial, Daphne, Gall, Hector [b]Dragons in Nail:[/b] Emile, Flann, Irena, Jonas
Post Update Example Format

The following quote box is a sample for update posts for anyone who wants to make a thread documenting their TvNCC. Feel free to use it, doctor it, or make your own as you wish!

Quote:
I. Initiative and Daily Bonus

Insert result. [1] goes first.

½ LP Boost?: Yes or No. It's only "yes" on a Sunday when all adult dragons receive an extra ½ of a life point.

II. Start of Day: [1]

Important Notes: This is where you take note of any members that are subjected to effects for the rest of the week, such as Arcane Enfeeblement, Earthly Fossilization, and Fiery Sear.

• Name of effect. [Dragon Name].

• etc.

False Allies: This is where you would put the names of dragons from [2] who are under the effects of Light Enamorment, Shadow Shroud, or Windy Disorientation. This is to catalog which adult dragon(s) from [2] will function as a dragon from [1] for the day, OR if a nest is made in the case of Light Enamorment.

• Name of effect. [Dragon Name]. Coin flip or die result goes here, if applicable.

• etc.

Daily Effects: This is where you discuss dragons that are subjected to effects starting at the beginning of the day, such as Natural Venom, Plague Contamination, or Watery Drowning.

• Name of effect. [Dragon Name]. Starting LP: X. Ending LP: Y.

• etc.

Guaranteed Dragon: [Dragon Name]. Starting LP: X. This is the dragon that's guaranteed to fight in the Coliseum for the day.

Number of Battles: Y.

III. Coliseum Log: [1]

1:

Insert images of notable loot here.

Discuss effects taken immediately from notable loot, if applicable.

Discuss life point gains or losses for any dragons, if applicable.

2:

Etc.

IV. Hoard Update: [1]

Faction Finances: X treasure.

Total Tallies:

• Familiars: X.
  • Arcane: X.
  • etc.

Insert images of all applying items currently in the hoard (and their quantity, if more than one).

V. Start of Day: [2]

Important Notes: This is where you take note of any members that are subjected to effects for the rest of the week, such as Arcane Enfeeblement, Earthly Fossilization, and Fiery Sear.

• Name of effect. [Dragon Name].

False Allies: This is where you would put the names of dragons from [1] who are under the effects of Light Enamorment, Shadow Shroud, or Windy Disorientation. This is to catalog which adult dragon(s) from [1] will function as a dragon from [2] for the day, OR if a nest is made in the case of Light Enamorment.

• Name of effect. [Dragon Name]. Coin flip or die result goes here, if applicable.

• etc.

Daily Effects: This is where you discuss dragons that are subjected to effects starting at the beginning of the day, such as Natural Venom, Plague Contamination, or Watery Drowning.

• Name of effect. [Dragon Name]. Starting LP: X. Ending LP: Y.

• etc.

Guaranteed Dragon: [Dragon Name]. Starting LP: X. This is the dragon that's guaranteed to fight in the Coliseum for the day.

Number of Battles: Y.

VI. Coliseum Log: [2]

1:

Insert images of notable loot here.

Discuss effects taken immediately from notable loot, if applicable.

Discuss life point gains or losses for any dragons, if applicable.

2:

Etc.

VII. Hoard Update: [2]

Faction Finances: X treasure.

Total Tallies:

• Familiars: X.
  • Arcane: X.
  • etc.

Insert images of all applying items currently in the hoard (and their quantity, if more than one).

VIII. End of Day

This is when false allies are placed back into their normal faction (unless defected in the case of Windy Disorientation).

Ration Penalties for [1]: List all dragons from [1] who got a ration penalty, if any.

Ration Penalties for [2]: List all dragons from [2] who got a ration penalty, if any.

Dragons in [1]: Dragon A (LP number), Dragon B (LP number), etc.

Dragons in [2]: Dragon C (LP number), Dragon D (LP number), etc.

Here is a sample that's filled out for one of the factions.

Quote:
I. Initiative and Daily Bonus

Heads Faction Tooth goes first; Faction Nail goes second.

½ LP Boost?: No.

II. Start of Day: Faction Tooth

Important Notes:

• Arcane Enfeeblement. Aylen.

• Earthly Fossilization. Belial.

False Allies:

• Light Enamorment. Cenk, for Daphne. Die result: 3. Allied with Faction Nail for today.

• Shadow Shroud. Emile. Automatically Faction Tooth's guaranteed Coli fighter.

• Windy Disorientation: Flann. Coin result: Tails. Allied with Faction Tooth for today.

Daily Effects:

• Natural Venom. Gall. Starting LP: 3.5. Ending LP: 3.

• Watery Drowning. Hector. Starting LP: 10. Ending LP: 7.5.

Guaranteed Dragon: Emile. Starting LP: 5.5.

Number of Battles: 30.

III. Coliseum Log: Faction Tooth

1:

Vile Bolt Leafy Pack

Die Roll for Vile Bolt: 4. Emile doesn't steal it.

Die Roll for Leafy Pack: 6. Emile steals it for Faction Nail.

Added two tallies to Plague Contamination effect (total: 2).

Added Vile Bolt to faction hoard.

2:

Aylen fainted. LP Remaining: 5.

3:

Drown

Die Roll for Drown: 2. Emile doesn't steal it.

Tallies max out Watery Drowning effect.

Faction Nail Random List Selects: Cenk. LP Remaining: 0.

Cenk is eliminated from Faction Nail.

IV. Hoard Update: Faction Tooth

Faction Finances: 1210 treasure.

Total Tallies:

• Plague: 2.

Vile Bolt Drown

Then Faction Nail does all of their stuff.

VIII. End of Day

Ration Penalties for Faction Tooth: None.

Ration Penalties for Faction Nail: None.

Dragons in Tooth: Aylen, Belial, Daphne, Gall, Hector

Dragons in Nail: Emile, Flann, Irena, Jonas
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 16