Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | [WCS] Aquatic Artisans (OVER)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
@Hydria I'd like to be added to the prompts pinglist, please. (Hopefully I'll have time to write something later in the week!)
@Hydria I'd like to be added to the prompts pinglist, please. (Hopefully I'll have time to write something later in the week!)
A two-toned pink eight-pointed compass rose with the Arcane symbol at the centre, with the word 'adept' hand-written in front of the downwards point
The Spire, home of the Lundlaevungar: a crystal island shaped like an inverted mountain floating above the sea in a yellow sky
The Pirate Trials button, linking to the thread: a pink pearl with subtle gold sparkles, with 'The Pirate Trials' handwritten in front; the P is an eye patch with a skull on it Arcane Badge depicting the Oculus of the Eleven
Clan Lore

Exalted Dragons

FR+8

they/them
@Hydria Can I get pings for new prompts?
@Hydria Can I get pings for new prompts?
IlluminartiIn-Flight HubPublic Buy
pinging self: @VioletWhirlwind.

I'm just here to watch the entries, don't mind me...
pinging self: @VioletWhirlwind.

I'm just here to watch the entries, don't mind me...
NOTE: Dergs in my lair with scries are just ideas, & are subject to change/not final.
nZJa3n3.png
Username: andreaissy

Prompt: day three Levitos

Entry: The last time Kailani had seen the city, it had been underwater. It was far different from now, sure, there were still dragons and merchants, but the beautiful art works and most foods, and things like kites and balloons, they hadn't really done too well underwater. Seeing the city as it was meant to be, gleaming and dry in the sunlight, honestly took her breath away. The maze of streets were filled with people, merchants, art, trinkets, and the smells of food wafted deliciously through the air. She saw people in the canals too, gondolas carrying them down through the many beautiful districts.

She couldn't help exploring. Last time, she had gotten lost quickly. She was amused to fnd it was no different this time around. Still, she found a small, private looking square that mimced the great sundial, the pillars around it clearly reflecting the Light dragons who lived so close. Yet on the floor was a tiled mosaic, depicting a conch, and so many bubbles. There had been streets boasting glass orbs, some filled with magic others just hanging and looking pretty. Kailani even found a tiny little wagon owned by a fae and a snapper, which held a mixture of plant foods and wares.

Soon enough, she found herself near the main canal, which fairly had fleets of gondolas and row boats jostling and sailing past each other. She laughed as she saw a fae using magic to propel their boat, much to the annoyance of some others. Some vendors had even set up on docking platforms, which gave them access to the floating guests, and maybe less competition. A sign caught her eye; gondola tours. She knew the rough layout, but, still. She climbed aboard, paying the fare, and watching as the canal passed. There were roof top terraces bursting with plant life, though how the plants would survive underwater was probably going to be a problem later on. There was a huge bridge, one she knew held hundreds of craft stores, mostly jewelry and glass. She tuned out of the explanation of the three disasters of the bridge, paying more attention to the shore front. Souvenirs, presents, and the general sights and sounds were so much more interesting than a flat toned guide. She found a piece of jewelry thrust at her, and when she saw the beautifully wrought piece, she couldnt help but part ways with some money.

"Getting something special for yourself?" Her friend chaperone asked. Kailani nodded, smiling admiringly at the exquisitely made flower. "Hoping to grab a certain air heads attention?" With that, embarrassment set in, and the gondolier chuckled as the two girls fought playfully, drifting along the canal and continuing to marvel at the beauty of Levitos

Prompt: day three Levitos

Entry: The last time Kailani had seen the city, it had been underwater. It was far different from now, sure, there were still dragons and merchants, but the beautiful art works and most foods, and things like kites and balloons, they hadn't really done too well underwater. Seeing the city as it was meant to be, gleaming and dry in the sunlight, honestly took her breath away. The maze of streets were filled with people, merchants, art, trinkets, and the smells of food wafted deliciously through the air. She saw people in the canals too, gondolas carrying them down through the many beautiful districts.

She couldn't help exploring. Last time, she had gotten lost quickly. She was amused to fnd it was no different this time around. Still, she found a small, private looking square that mimced the great sundial, the pillars around it clearly reflecting the Light dragons who lived so close. Yet on the floor was a tiled mosaic, depicting a conch, and so many bubbles. There had been streets boasting glass orbs, some filled with magic others just hanging and looking pretty. Kailani even found a tiny little wagon owned by a fae and a snapper, which held a mixture of plant foods and wares.

Soon enough, she found herself near the main canal, which fairly had fleets of gondolas and row boats jostling and sailing past each other. She laughed as she saw a fae using magic to propel their boat, much to the annoyance of some others. Some vendors had even set up on docking platforms, which gave them access to the floating guests, and maybe less competition. A sign caught her eye; gondola tours. She knew the rough layout, but, still. She climbed aboard, paying the fare, and watching as the canal passed. There were roof top terraces bursting with plant life, though how the plants would survive underwater was probably going to be a problem later on. There was a huge bridge, one she knew held hundreds of craft stores, mostly jewelry and glass. She tuned out of the explanation of the three disasters of the bridge, paying more attention to the shore front. Souvenirs, presents, and the general sights and sounds were so much more interesting than a flat toned guide. She found a piece of jewelry thrust at her, and when she saw the beautifully wrought piece, she couldnt help but part ways with some money.

"Getting something special for yourself?" Her friend chaperone asked. Kailani nodded, smiling admiringly at the exquisitely made flower. "Hoping to grab a certain air heads attention?" With that, embarrassment set in, and the gondolier chuckled as the two girls fought playfully, drifting along the canal and continuing to marvel at the beauty of Levitos
giphy.gif
Username: Zalva
Prompt: The Floating City
Entry:
As I travel my timeworn shifting dreams
in a field of never-ending blue,
see the trees, watch them synchronize
in a land far beyond your reach.

This place, this forest
this cave, this Island-in-the-sky...
oh, when I die...
take. me. to. this place I see,
see somewhere in my lies.

OooOOh, how the wind cries,
screams so silent in the mines.
when the earth quakes,
and the sea breaks.

When the wind blows, sings on the waters of your mind.
Howling creatures join a curious charade...
joining the parade and carry towards the night,
where the end goes, goes
none of us willingly,

but, oh, dream speak, tell me
I will live again.
Will I live there,
on this Island-in-the-sky?

Shining through the leaves,
breathless boughs breath
brilliant mist into the dark light, forest of the night.

twisting through overgrowth, the great wind's chorus wills us forth.
Floor of leaves weeps gently as we sway,
sweet sad tune sold of all the world's dismay,
and our soul joins in
as the creatures grin
such a somber, soft, swiftly swelling song.

OooOOh, does the moon sigh,
such strange scents hang on the vine.
laughing creatures twirl through the twilight masquerade
bounding through trees and onward toward the dawn.

And so this road does wind
as my soul rejoins the mind,
The many friends I've made,
tears fall as they fade.

Gently falling snow,
as the soft light grows,
blinds the time we keep
before the never rising sun.

Oh, as the e-e-echo flows,
so does the dance now slow.
dearest Dream sleep, give me strength to carry on
marching on an' on, though the morrow's song
when the end comes, comes
the dawn of a new dream!

"Festival of Dreams" - a work in progress
Username: Zalva
Prompt: The Floating City
Entry:
As I travel my timeworn shifting dreams
in a field of never-ending blue,
see the trees, watch them synchronize
in a land far beyond your reach.

This place, this forest
this cave, this Island-in-the-sky...
oh, when I die...
take. me. to. this place I see,
see somewhere in my lies.

OooOOh, how the wind cries,
screams so silent in the mines.
when the earth quakes,
and the sea breaks.

When the wind blows, sings on the waters of your mind.
Howling creatures join a curious charade...
joining the parade and carry towards the night,
where the end goes, goes
none of us willingly,

but, oh, dream speak, tell me
I will live again.
Will I live there,
on this Island-in-the-sky?

Shining through the leaves,
breathless boughs breath
brilliant mist into the dark light, forest of the night.

twisting through overgrowth, the great wind's chorus wills us forth.
Floor of leaves weeps gently as we sway,
sweet sad tune sold of all the world's dismay,
and our soul joins in
as the creatures grin
such a somber, soft, swiftly swelling song.

OooOOh, does the moon sigh,
such strange scents hang on the vine.
laughing creatures twirl through the twilight masquerade
bounding through trees and onward toward the dawn.

And so this road does wind
as my soul rejoins the mind,
The many friends I've made,
tears fall as they fade.

Gently falling snow,
as the soft light grows,
blinds the time we keep
before the never rising sun.

Oh, as the e-e-echo flows,
so does the dance now slow.
dearest Dream sleep, give me strength to carry on
marching on an' on, though the morrow's song
when the end comes, comes
the dawn of a new dream!

"Festival of Dreams" - a work in progress
CAKE? WHAT CAKE?

.|\.^./|.
«'6.=.6'»
'" ^ "'
@Hanelli @JetFeather @Origamer @Amaranth41 @Rocwylde @Siennia @Lenox @SocklessWonder @Feorin @Fabro @Paintminion @CasuallySleepy @Sylphiette @Xarina @ThePurple @Andreaissy @Lundlaeva @Pennifeather

Today's prompt, "Fishermen's Fiends", and its prizes are up!
Credit to Monster Hunter for the title idea for this one

(Another note: my computer had...an issue...and now I can't use it until it's fixed, so I'm stuck on mobile and it will likely be decommissioned for at least the rest of the week. The thing is: I can't properly copy and paste image urls on mobile, so I can't post art entries in the submissions section... Of course I will still accept them, I just don't know what to do with that...)
@Hanelli @JetFeather @Origamer @Amaranth41 @Rocwylde @Siennia @Lenox @SocklessWonder @Feorin @Fabro @Paintminion @CasuallySleepy @Sylphiette @Xarina @ThePurple @Andreaissy @Lundlaeva @Pennifeather

Today's prompt, "Fishermen's Fiends", and its prizes are up!
Credit to Monster Hunter for the title idea for this one

(Another note: my computer had...an issue...and now I can't use it until it's fixed, so I'm stuck on mobile and it will likely be decommissioned for at least the rest of the week. The thing is: I can't properly copy and paste image urls on mobile, so I can't post art entries in the submissions section... Of course I will still accept them, I just don't know what to do with that...)
waterfull.png
Username: Kapara

Prompt: Edge of the Sea

Entry:

His footprints led down the shore, untidy where he had stumbled from the weight of his equipment. Long, sand covered metal tub drawing scribbles on the sand. A bag hefted over his shoulder, less full than when he set out.

This place was where two tidal currents intersected, in the lee of the wind. Enticingly heavy foliage not far from the bitter waves. The enemy generals were not stupid. But his generals were both smart, and cruel.

Cruelty is the poison of war.

A good spot to land. Rough rock. A barely walkable path onwards. He laughed because he wanted to cry. Walkable paths don't exist anymore. They are all littered with bombs. The bag on his shoulder crashed to the ground.

He heaved the long metal tube. Arms shaking, he centred it where the salt wrought feet of the lead enemy soldier would sink tomorrow morning. The hollow part of the tube sunk easily into the ash coloured sand.

When he pushed it down as far as it would go, the other end of the tube was just above his hip. He grabbed the handle and pumped.

The pump shuddered and gasped on nothing. Then a single glob of watery sand plopped by his feet. With each pump more sludge burst out like sewage. The creak of the machine accented the wet noises, the crash of the waves, his own grunting breath.

He pumped until the tube's handle touched the sand, until he could pump no more. He pulled, a little elevator shoved it's way up, clearing the pipe.

And from the bag, he took another mine. The most expensive one so far, he judges. If two wings wade through the water first, spreading out, guns raised. He can see it. The line that go on the rocks move more slowly, they are cautious of snipers above. But the bomb beneath their feet will be the one to kill them.

He could already feel their blood on his hands. Or was it the saltwater.

Prompt: Edge of the Sea

Entry:

His footprints led down the shore, untidy where he had stumbled from the weight of his equipment. Long, sand covered metal tub drawing scribbles on the sand. A bag hefted over his shoulder, less full than when he set out.

This place was where two tidal currents intersected, in the lee of the wind. Enticingly heavy foliage not far from the bitter waves. The enemy generals were not stupid. But his generals were both smart, and cruel.

Cruelty is the poison of war.

A good spot to land. Rough rock. A barely walkable path onwards. He laughed because he wanted to cry. Walkable paths don't exist anymore. They are all littered with bombs. The bag on his shoulder crashed to the ground.

He heaved the long metal tube. Arms shaking, he centred it where the salt wrought feet of the lead enemy soldier would sink tomorrow morning. The hollow part of the tube sunk easily into the ash coloured sand.

When he pushed it down as far as it would go, the other end of the tube was just above his hip. He grabbed the handle and pumped.

The pump shuddered and gasped on nothing. Then a single glob of watery sand plopped by his feet. With each pump more sludge burst out like sewage. The creak of the machine accented the wet noises, the crash of the waves, his own grunting breath.

He pumped until the tube's handle touched the sand, until he could pump no more. He pulled, a little elevator shoved it's way up, clearing the pipe.

And from the bag, he took another mine. The most expensive one so far, he judges. If two wings wade through the water first, spreading out, guns raised. He can see it. The line that go on the rocks move more slowly, they are cautious of snipers above. But the bomb beneath their feet will be the one to kill them.

He could already feel their blood on his hands. Or was it the saltwater.
dNCLmdm.png

Prompt: Fishermen's Fiends

Entry:

July 5th, Day 0: We embark tomorrow. The ship I have hired is the Sister Julianne. I had to gather a crew by hand, the original deserted when they heard what I am planning to go after. I should expect no less from sea-folk. I may have with me the least superstitious crew the sea has ever seen!

July 6th, Day 1: The spirit of scientific inquiry drives the sails today. We take a route down the west side of the American continent. Once we reach Macaw Point on the equator we turn west, to a place no ship should reach unless they are lost or their captain is insane. I must plead guilty to the second charge, of which I admit I should be diagnosed for four times if five medical men examined my head.

July 8th, Day 3: The weather is fine, the breeze is warm. I joined the skipper for a round of cards, and lost every hand. One is not warned of the dangers to one's purse onboard a vessel.

July 12th, Day 7: I supposed I should record what exactly set me on this journey to begin with. I heard a story, not two months back, at the University. I had just finished the study on behavioural patterns of the Turkish posaria elemantori when a colleague told me a fascinating tale.

Sailors from the western shore were lost in a devil of a storm when they suddenly beached. With alarm they realised they had landed on the Sirens' Rock (as locally known) where, as its title suggests, sirens were said to reside. Miraculously, the ship held tight. A brave sailor was elected to go down to the rock, and push the small ship back into water. When he was down there, he found with utter amazement, that the ground shifted beneath his feet. Like it was breathing.

Of course, he could've been delusional. And so could I, for giving him any measure of my confidence. But here I am.

July 15th, Day 10: I talked with a sailor who hails from the orient. I told him about the breathing rock, he told me of a his people's turtle god of storms and water. They would throw dead bodies into the water as offerings, and watch as the body was swiftly carried away in the direction of the rock. Frankly, between our stories neither is less believable than the other.

July 18th, Day 13: We turn west today. Leaving the land behind us. I should not see it for some time.

July 20th, Day 15: The man in the crow's nest gave a hoo-ha at dawn. The rock has been sighted. The captain tells me that we should prepare to disembark this time tomorrow. I have with me weatherproof gear and reliable rope, my sketchpad and compass. A scientist is never daunted by the unexamined.

Extracts from a journal 16th century, recovered from a small limestone island off the coast of Madagascar

Entry:

July 5th, Day 0: We embark tomorrow. The ship I have hired is the Sister Julianne. I had to gather a crew by hand, the original deserted when they heard what I am planning to go after. I should expect no less from sea-folk. I may have with me the least superstitious crew the sea has ever seen!

July 6th, Day 1: The spirit of scientific inquiry drives the sails today. We take a route down the west side of the American continent. Once we reach Macaw Point on the equator we turn west, to a place no ship should reach unless they are lost or their captain is insane. I must plead guilty to the second charge, of which I admit I should be diagnosed for four times if five medical men examined my head.

July 8th, Day 3: The weather is fine, the breeze is warm. I joined the skipper for a round of cards, and lost every hand. One is not warned of the dangers to one's purse onboard a vessel.

July 12th, Day 7: I supposed I should record what exactly set me on this journey to begin with. I heard a story, not two months back, at the University. I had just finished the study on behavioural patterns of the Turkish posaria elemantori when a colleague told me a fascinating tale.

Sailors from the western shore were lost in a devil of a storm when they suddenly beached. With alarm they realised they had landed on the Sirens' Rock (as locally known) where, as its title suggests, sirens were said to reside. Miraculously, the ship held tight. A brave sailor was elected to go down to the rock, and push the small ship back into water. When he was down there, he found with utter amazement, that the ground shifted beneath his feet. Like it was breathing.

Of course, he could've been delusional. And so could I, for giving him any measure of my confidence. But here I am.

July 15th, Day 10: I talked with a sailor who hails from the orient. I told him about the breathing rock, he told me of a his people's turtle god of storms and water. They would throw dead bodies into the water as offerings, and watch as the body was swiftly carried away in the direction of the rock. Frankly, between our stories neither is less believable than the other.

July 18th, Day 13: We turn west today. Leaving the land behind us. I should not see it for some time.

July 20th, Day 15: The man in the crow's nest gave a hoo-ha at dawn. The rock has been sighted. The captain tells me that we should prepare to disembark this time tomorrow. I have with me weatherproof gear and reliable rope, my sketchpad and compass. A scientist is never daunted by the unexamined.

Extracts from a journal 16th century, recovered from a small limestone island off the coast of Madagascar
dNCLmdm.png
Username: SilverWinter Prompt: Creature Feature (but it works for Edge of the Sea too...) Entry: While sea turtles aren't my favorite sea creatures, they are one of the most fascinating. I was inspired by the way that the turtles eggs hatch on the beach instead of in the sea. So I made a seashell turtle out of polymer clay! [size=1](omg this took me like 5 hours)[/size] [img]http://i.imgur.com/Xc9PXLy.jpg[/img]
Username: SilverWinter

Prompt: Creature Feature (but it works for Edge of the Sea too...)

Entry:

While sea turtles aren't my favorite sea creatures, they are one of the most fascinating. I was inspired by the way that the turtles eggs hatch on the beach instead of in the sea. So I made a seashell turtle out of polymer clay! (omg this took me like 5 hours)

Xc9PXLy.jpg

LJfZA40.png6JxFimx.png
DrvBF2Y.png5iXiC8z.pngq3Me7tJ.pngH0t7Ypl.png
Pgv53XB.pngOPFWPxg.png
Entry:

The wind whipped past her face, her heart beat creating a rushing sound in her ears. Clouds trailed around her, orange and pink and yellow in the setting sun. She laughed, spiraling around and trailing her hand through the closest one. It merely felt cool, and she zipped away, leaving trailing wisps behind her. She heard a laugh, and saw a flash of seafoam as another dragon darted past her. He flew in a straight line, occasionally corkscrewing before gliding around to her. The wind shifted, and she swore she heard reeds as the two lazily flew in spirals around each other. She found herself breathless as he looked at her with light green eyes, flying closer to her. She could hardly breathe as he brushed against her, slowly coiling around her before suddenly- she couldn't breathe. He was squeezing almost painfully. She began thrashing, and then hit her head hard. Wait, hit her head?

Kailani opened her eyes, rubbing her head grumpily as she took in her room. Disoriented at first, she realized that her head and top half has fallen off her bed. She glared at a certain relic eel stared back at her, still partially coiled around her. The stare down continued until it finally uncoiled from around her chest, and swam off. She sighed, getting up and stretching out her coils from her disturbed sleep. She shot out of her den, diving down the tower like circular common hallway. Most of the others were already awake, and after her rude awakening, she wasn't too bothered by the noise she made on her way down. "Zoooom~"

She glided down another hallway, looking out between the large rib bones of some long dead monster at the coral and fish beyond. Judging by the light filtering down from the surface, she was late..... Again. The dining hall was surprisingly full, and not many of the other dragons noticed as she grabbed herself some food before settling at her usual seat. There was the cursed eel, sticking next to her mother as usual.
"You're up late." Was all she said, calmly looking over some tablet she had brought with her.
"I was having a good dream." She grumbled, starting to eat without paying much attention to the others. Maybe if she was lucky she could finish her breakfast and leave before any of her snobby relatives deigned to grace her woth their superior intellect.
"You shouldn't wander off today. Not with the report that came in this morning." Okay, maybe she had been naive to hope she'd be lucky this morning. Her wake up call should've given her a hint. With an exaggerated groan, she looked at the pearlcatcher who had spoken up. She preened briefly, taking her time knowing that Kailani couldn't exactly leave without getting in trouble, or miss whatever news had come in.
"Someone came back from patrol along the trench this morning rather injured. His partner was nowhere to be seen. He came bearing the news of a siren that had managed to sing his friend into stupidity. The injuries came from trying to stop them from swimming down to find it." Kailani was immediately silent. The occasional maren was easy enough to slip away without a guard. But a siren? No way was she going to be able to get out today. She had a few moments to think of possible escape routes before the pearlcatcher snorted.
"It's not going to work. Every entrance and exit is being closed off, and guarded to make sure no one does anything stupid until the thing is destroyed. So be a dear, and don't make a fool of yourself trying to get out." Kailani glowered, simmering in anger as the snooty dragoness stood.
"Of course, you'd know this if you actually could see. For someone who's the child of two great prophets, you fall dismally short."

The table was quiet as she left, a few sympathetic looks passed towards Kailanis mother. She knew better than to think the sympathy was for what had been said, oh no, she'd learned that ages ago. They were pitying her mother for producing a child who had hatched at the worst possible time and had no talent in divination whatsoever. So, without a word, Kailani left, her half finished meal behind her.

The day was so boring. Within no time, she found herself nearly in knots as the day passed at a crawl. She groaned, flopping down like a limp noodle, and staring at the ceiling. The rock had little coral growths, something a fae or some scholar might find endlessly fascinating. No such luck for her. A frustrated sound came in a forceful exhale, little bubbles trailing upwards. A snout suddenly burst into it, startling her. A concerned creaking sound made her smile slightly, lifting her head to look at the Cloud chaser. It bumped against her gently, whistling in a manner not unlike some coatls. It swam around her small den, grabbing a starfish and dropping it into her hands. "Sorry bud, no games today. We aren't allowed outside." Kailani said with a soft sigh. It simply whistled at her again, bumping into her. Then it swam towards the small circle in the stone wall, easily darting through

The window was high up, and looked out on a sloping shelf of coral. Only a fae could ordinarily fit through, but if she slithered and tucked her wings, she might just fit. Filled with renewed enthusiasm, she squeezed her way through, grinning triumphantly at the dolphin. She then immediately darted away, eagerly playing with her familiar. The reef was quiet, which was a miracle to her. She chased after fish, raced the cloud chaser in the currents, and explored the areas created by the broken bones from another age.

The angle of light shifted, but Kailani was only dimly aware of the passage of time. It was when she stopped to catch her breath on top of a rise that she realized just how eerily quiet it was. There wasn't the usual splashing, chatter, or calls from adventurous dragons. There was just, quiet. The water grew darker a bit farther away, but that didn't mean it should be so- wait.

The warnings of the siren suddenly returned. And here she was, a stones throw from the leviathan trench. The place where the beasts lived. She turned to head back home when a soft, haunting voice drifted her way. It was faint, ever so faint, yet, it was definitely there. She only heard a few words, but, the song was so strange. It was creepy. And yet, Kailani found herself swimming closer to the trench drop off to hear it better. It sounded almost like a lullaby, and as she peeked over the edge, she saw only darkness. But, there was a light?

Despite all warnings she'd heard, she dove, curious about the gently bobbing light far below. The song grew louder, and she could pick out the individual words. "Come wiiith me, and taaaake my haand. I'll wash your paaain, with the waaater and saands. But wiiill you come up, as you slip to your death, as you go un der with your last, dying breath~." She shuddered, almost turning back when a small light moved along something. Intrigued once again, she allowed herself to sink farther down.

Then there was nothing. The light blinked out. She looked around, confused. The darkness was so murky it was hard to know where anyone or anything was. The singing was softer now, and, drawing closer? A bulb bobbed closer, and she swam towards it briefly. She frowned, noticing how big it was. Surely she would've seen it by now? If a fish was this close-

Then came an earsplitting shriek, and something surged towards her. She caught a glimpse of huge eyes, sharp teeth, and then there was pain and a bright light. She blindly thrashed, darting upwards as soon as she could. Was she going upwards? She had no idea. She was too disoriented from the light and pain and suddenness of the attack. She breathed out in a panic, and, why were the bubbles going sideways? Kailani was confused before remembering "they go up!" Reoriented, she swam upwards as fast as she could, hearing the enraged shrieking of the siren. Something bit her wing, making her shriek herself in pain. Now she had to get it off while trying not to sink. She turned, thrashing desperately before the sight of the monster made her squeak in terror

The beast was hideous. A long bulb hung over its face, illuminating it too well in such close quarters. Huge, milky white eyes, stiff fins along the sides of its face. Long, crooked, and frighteningly sharp teeth stained slightly with red. Little patches on its face glowed randomly, and along the long sinuous, disturbing body similar lights flashed. It's sharp talons raked her sides, making her squeal and cry out loudly. Just when she was resigning herself to her fate, and angry chattering grew closer, and something slammed into the monster. It shrieked itself, as stunned by the new arrival as the young spiral was.

The dim light made it hard to see, but in the struggle between the two creatures, Kailani realized her opportunity to escape. She weakly began swimming upwards, leaving the sound of the conflict behind her. Then, a shriek, and a nudging. She felt like she was about to cry as something with teeth closed around her tail. Then she yelped as suddenly she was being pulled, upwards. She looked up, seeing the outline of a familiar shape. Something so comforting that she might've started crying.

She looked back down, seeing the sea witch closing on them. It was such a scary sight, her heart pounding and blood roaring in her ears she almost missed a different roar. A huge shadow blocked the light, and the siren was stopped by a large guardian diving at her. Familiar figures closed in around her, and Kailani couldn't help but closing her tired eyes in relief. The exhaustion was setting in and suddenly a nap sounded like a good idea. She felt something familiar coiling around her, before her suddenly leaden eyes closed.

-ake......... oon."
"She............... diot. What...... thinking?"
"........ moving!"
With a groan, Kailani blearily opened her eyes. The shapes of three fuzzy outlines slowly came into focus.
"She lives!"
"Oh my gods, what were you thinking!" She winced at the loudness of everything.
"Calm down?" She asked, lookig up at them before something was thrust into her hands. It was cool, metal, and, she looked to the side when she saw a blue spiral looking back at her.
"Kailani, tell me what do you see in that mirror?"
"...... Myself."
"Describe yourself."
"Blue."
"Your eyes?"
"..... green."
"Yes. Light green." Her mother leaned towards her, looking furious. "You, a wind aligned hatchling went off to fight a monster that has every advantage over you! Size! Strength! Elemental magic!"
"I didn't-"
"Think, we know. You just ran off without telling anyone! Your familiar had to come get us!" Her mother, and the physician, looked very upset with her, but she was too busy trying to get past the 'you fought a monster'.
"Hold on, I, what?"
"I'm stunned you managed to survive, much less hurt the thing. You scared us so much! Especially when your cloud chaser was dragging up your limp noodle trailing blood from your wing." Kailani by this point had stopped trying to understand most of what was being said.
"You were worried about me?" Dead silence.
"Of course we were." The incredulous voices chorused after their shock wore off. It took her a while to process that, but once she had, she was lovingly coiled around her mother. The woman huffed, but fondly patted her head.

Kailani of course, was grounded. And forbidden from going near the trench. And possibly from ever having fun again. The terms weren't clear. She didn't mind it much however. She had a steady stream of visitors asking for her to describe the siren, and her fight with it. The clan seemed to think she had sought it out to fight it, and Kailani wasn't about to correct them on it.
Entry:

The wind whipped past her face, her heart beat creating a rushing sound in her ears. Clouds trailed around her, orange and pink and yellow in the setting sun. She laughed, spiraling around and trailing her hand through the closest one. It merely felt cool, and she zipped away, leaving trailing wisps behind her. She heard a laugh, and saw a flash of seafoam as another dragon darted past her. He flew in a straight line, occasionally corkscrewing before gliding around to her. The wind shifted, and she swore she heard reeds as the two lazily flew in spirals around each other. She found herself breathless as he looked at her with light green eyes, flying closer to her. She could hardly breathe as he brushed against her, slowly coiling around her before suddenly- she couldn't breathe. He was squeezing almost painfully. She began thrashing, and then hit her head hard. Wait, hit her head?

Kailani opened her eyes, rubbing her head grumpily as she took in her room. Disoriented at first, she realized that her head and top half has fallen off her bed. She glared at a certain relic eel stared back at her, still partially coiled around her. The stare down continued until it finally uncoiled from around her chest, and swam off. She sighed, getting up and stretching out her coils from her disturbed sleep. She shot out of her den, diving down the tower like circular common hallway. Most of the others were already awake, and after her rude awakening, she wasn't too bothered by the noise she made on her way down. "Zoooom~"

She glided down another hallway, looking out between the large rib bones of some long dead monster at the coral and fish beyond. Judging by the light filtering down from the surface, she was late..... Again. The dining hall was surprisingly full, and not many of the other dragons noticed as she grabbed herself some food before settling at her usual seat. There was the cursed eel, sticking next to her mother as usual.
"You're up late." Was all she said, calmly looking over some tablet she had brought with her.
"I was having a good dream." She grumbled, starting to eat without paying much attention to the others. Maybe if she was lucky she could finish her breakfast and leave before any of her snobby relatives deigned to grace her woth their superior intellect.
"You shouldn't wander off today. Not with the report that came in this morning." Okay, maybe she had been naive to hope she'd be lucky this morning. Her wake up call should've given her a hint. With an exaggerated groan, she looked at the pearlcatcher who had spoken up. She preened briefly, taking her time knowing that Kailani couldn't exactly leave without getting in trouble, or miss whatever news had come in.
"Someone came back from patrol along the trench this morning rather injured. His partner was nowhere to be seen. He came bearing the news of a siren that had managed to sing his friend into stupidity. The injuries came from trying to stop them from swimming down to find it." Kailani was immediately silent. The occasional maren was easy enough to slip away without a guard. But a siren? No way was she going to be able to get out today. She had a few moments to think of possible escape routes before the pearlcatcher snorted.
"It's not going to work. Every entrance and exit is being closed off, and guarded to make sure no one does anything stupid until the thing is destroyed. So be a dear, and don't make a fool of yourself trying to get out." Kailani glowered, simmering in anger as the snooty dragoness stood.
"Of course, you'd know this if you actually could see. For someone who's the child of two great prophets, you fall dismally short."

The table was quiet as she left, a few sympathetic looks passed towards Kailanis mother. She knew better than to think the sympathy was for what had been said, oh no, she'd learned that ages ago. They were pitying her mother for producing a child who had hatched at the worst possible time and had no talent in divination whatsoever. So, without a word, Kailani left, her half finished meal behind her.

The day was so boring. Within no time, she found herself nearly in knots as the day passed at a crawl. She groaned, flopping down like a limp noodle, and staring at the ceiling. The rock had little coral growths, something a fae or some scholar might find endlessly fascinating. No such luck for her. A frustrated sound came in a forceful exhale, little bubbles trailing upwards. A snout suddenly burst into it, startling her. A concerned creaking sound made her smile slightly, lifting her head to look at the Cloud chaser. It bumped against her gently, whistling in a manner not unlike some coatls. It swam around her small den, grabbing a starfish and dropping it into her hands. "Sorry bud, no games today. We aren't allowed outside." Kailani said with a soft sigh. It simply whistled at her again, bumping into her. Then it swam towards the small circle in the stone wall, easily darting through

The window was high up, and looked out on a sloping shelf of coral. Only a fae could ordinarily fit through, but if she slithered and tucked her wings, she might just fit. Filled with renewed enthusiasm, she squeezed her way through, grinning triumphantly at the dolphin. She then immediately darted away, eagerly playing with her familiar. The reef was quiet, which was a miracle to her. She chased after fish, raced the cloud chaser in the currents, and explored the areas created by the broken bones from another age.

The angle of light shifted, but Kailani was only dimly aware of the passage of time. It was when she stopped to catch her breath on top of a rise that she realized just how eerily quiet it was. There wasn't the usual splashing, chatter, or calls from adventurous dragons. There was just, quiet. The water grew darker a bit farther away, but that didn't mean it should be so- wait.

The warnings of the siren suddenly returned. And here she was, a stones throw from the leviathan trench. The place where the beasts lived. She turned to head back home when a soft, haunting voice drifted her way. It was faint, ever so faint, yet, it was definitely there. She only heard a few words, but, the song was so strange. It was creepy. And yet, Kailani found herself swimming closer to the trench drop off to hear it better. It sounded almost like a lullaby, and as she peeked over the edge, she saw only darkness. But, there was a light?

Despite all warnings she'd heard, she dove, curious about the gently bobbing light far below. The song grew louder, and she could pick out the individual words. "Come wiiith me, and taaaake my haand. I'll wash your paaain, with the waaater and saands. But wiiill you come up, as you slip to your death, as you go un der with your last, dying breath~." She shuddered, almost turning back when a small light moved along something. Intrigued once again, she allowed herself to sink farther down.

Then there was nothing. The light blinked out. She looked around, confused. The darkness was so murky it was hard to know where anyone or anything was. The singing was softer now, and, drawing closer? A bulb bobbed closer, and she swam towards it briefly. She frowned, noticing how big it was. Surely she would've seen it by now? If a fish was this close-

Then came an earsplitting shriek, and something surged towards her. She caught a glimpse of huge eyes, sharp teeth, and then there was pain and a bright light. She blindly thrashed, darting upwards as soon as she could. Was she going upwards? She had no idea. She was too disoriented from the light and pain and suddenness of the attack. She breathed out in a panic, and, why were the bubbles going sideways? Kailani was confused before remembering "they go up!" Reoriented, she swam upwards as fast as she could, hearing the enraged shrieking of the siren. Something bit her wing, making her shriek herself in pain. Now she had to get it off while trying not to sink. She turned, thrashing desperately before the sight of the monster made her squeak in terror

The beast was hideous. A long bulb hung over its face, illuminating it too well in such close quarters. Huge, milky white eyes, stiff fins along the sides of its face. Long, crooked, and frighteningly sharp teeth stained slightly with red. Little patches on its face glowed randomly, and along the long sinuous, disturbing body similar lights flashed. It's sharp talons raked her sides, making her squeal and cry out loudly. Just when she was resigning herself to her fate, and angry chattering grew closer, and something slammed into the monster. It shrieked itself, as stunned by the new arrival as the young spiral was.

The dim light made it hard to see, but in the struggle between the two creatures, Kailani realized her opportunity to escape. She weakly began swimming upwards, leaving the sound of the conflict behind her. Then, a shriek, and a nudging. She felt like she was about to cry as something with teeth closed around her tail. Then she yelped as suddenly she was being pulled, upwards. She looked up, seeing the outline of a familiar shape. Something so comforting that she might've started crying.

She looked back down, seeing the sea witch closing on them. It was such a scary sight, her heart pounding and blood roaring in her ears she almost missed a different roar. A huge shadow blocked the light, and the siren was stopped by a large guardian diving at her. Familiar figures closed in around her, and Kailani couldn't help but closing her tired eyes in relief. The exhaustion was setting in and suddenly a nap sounded like a good idea. She felt something familiar coiling around her, before her suddenly leaden eyes closed.

-ake......... oon."
"She............... diot. What...... thinking?"
"........ moving!"
With a groan, Kailani blearily opened her eyes. The shapes of three fuzzy outlines slowly came into focus.
"She lives!"
"Oh my gods, what were you thinking!" She winced at the loudness of everything.
"Calm down?" She asked, lookig up at them before something was thrust into her hands. It was cool, metal, and, she looked to the side when she saw a blue spiral looking back at her.
"Kailani, tell me what do you see in that mirror?"
"...... Myself."
"Describe yourself."
"Blue."
"Your eyes?"
"..... green."
"Yes. Light green." Her mother leaned towards her, looking furious. "You, a wind aligned hatchling went off to fight a monster that has every advantage over you! Size! Strength! Elemental magic!"
"I didn't-"
"Think, we know. You just ran off without telling anyone! Your familiar had to come get us!" Her mother, and the physician, looked very upset with her, but she was too busy trying to get past the 'you fought a monster'.
"Hold on, I, what?"
"I'm stunned you managed to survive, much less hurt the thing. You scared us so much! Especially when your cloud chaser was dragging up your limp noodle trailing blood from your wing." Kailani by this point had stopped trying to understand most of what was being said.
"You were worried about me?" Dead silence.
"Of course we were." The incredulous voices chorused after their shock wore off. It took her a while to process that, but once she had, she was lovingly coiled around her mother. The woman huffed, but fondly patted her head.

Kailani of course, was grounded. And forbidden from going near the trench. And possibly from ever having fun again. The terms weren't clear. She didn't mind it much however. She had a steady stream of visitors asking for her to describe the siren, and her fight with it. The clan seemed to think she had sought it out to fight it, and Kailani wasn't about to correct them on it.
giphy.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10