Back

Quests & Challenges

Quests, Challenges, and Festival games.
TOPIC | The 100 Hatchling Challenge!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 91 92
@neranishin I recommend Telluria, Pyrite, Sphalera, Galena, Sylvania, Stibnia, Calavera -- these are all names that relate to ores that can contain gold, or fool folks into thinking they are gold. She reminded me of stuff like this. :D

~

@Tigger142 While I understand your concern, the rules of the challenge were adapted from The Sims's "100 Baby Challenge." In it, a baby doesn't count until it reaches adulthood and is moved out of the house, while also having become an A-student both in elementary and high school. That is much more work than just having the kid, aging them up several times in the same day (which is possible in The Sims), and sending them on their merry way. Therefore, I wanted to emulate that can't-just-have-them-and-forget-them attitude with this challenge. c:

(I would say exalt training would work, but if you have two level-25s and use The Mire for it, you can literally have a single exalt dragon up to level 7 within five or ten minutes and then make an easy profit that way. I don't know, it just... doesn't seem to be quite as challenging to me as finding someone who would keep the dragon for at least a little while for their own purposes. ^^; Sure, the market is craptastic right now, but the way I see it, every dragon can find a home where they could at least get bred once. Heck, even the ugly ones can be sold as founders for the Breed Out the Ugly Challenge if you can find someone who's interested!)

But hey -- this is all just me. ^^ People can play their challenges as they will, and if they want to exalt or fodder off every kid they have, that's fine. They'll just have to ensure that this is said outright in their personal challenge's description, since taking the challenge in general will imply that they must seek out homes for each hatchling. c: These rules are merely guidelines and can be flexed to suit an individual's purpose. Thank you!
@neranishin I recommend Telluria, Pyrite, Sphalera, Galena, Sylvania, Stibnia, Calavera -- these are all names that relate to ores that can contain gold, or fool folks into thinking they are gold. She reminded me of stuff like this. :D

~

@Tigger142 While I understand your concern, the rules of the challenge were adapted from The Sims's "100 Baby Challenge." In it, a baby doesn't count until it reaches adulthood and is moved out of the house, while also having become an A-student both in elementary and high school. That is much more work than just having the kid, aging them up several times in the same day (which is possible in The Sims), and sending them on their merry way. Therefore, I wanted to emulate that can't-just-have-them-and-forget-them attitude with this challenge. c:

(I would say exalt training would work, but if you have two level-25s and use The Mire for it, you can literally have a single exalt dragon up to level 7 within five or ten minutes and then make an easy profit that way. I don't know, it just... doesn't seem to be quite as challenging to me as finding someone who would keep the dragon for at least a little while for their own purposes. ^^; Sure, the market is craptastic right now, but the way I see it, every dragon can find a home where they could at least get bred once. Heck, even the ugly ones can be sold as founders for the Breed Out the Ugly Challenge if you can find someone who's interested!)

But hey -- this is all just me. ^^ People can play their challenges as they will, and if they want to exalt or fodder off every kid they have, that's fine. They'll just have to ensure that this is said outright in their personal challenge's description, since taking the challenge in general will imply that they must seek out homes for each hatchling. c: These rules are merely guidelines and can be flexed to suit an individual's purpose. Thank you!
Maybe train every baby up to level 25? It'd be obnoxious though lol, especially since you wouldn't want to waste stones on them.
Maybe train every baby up to level 25? It'd be obnoxious though lol, especially since you wouldn't want to waste stones on them.
@Dreamnorn

May I suggest a change to rule 4? Instead of finding homes for all hatchlings, maybe make it so we have to keep the hatchlings until they reach adulthood/or are RTB, then let the user exalt/sell them? Finding permanent homes for 100 hatchlings is pretty difficult, especially if they don't sell. That way technically the babies would be adults, and them getting exalted would be the equivalent to them moving out?
@Dreamnorn

May I suggest a change to rule 4? Instead of finding homes for all hatchlings, maybe make it so we have to keep the hatchlings until they reach adulthood/or are RTB, then let the user exalt/sell them? Finding permanent homes for 100 hatchlings is pretty difficult, especially if they don't sell. That way technically the babies would be adults, and them getting exalted would be the equivalent to them moving out?
@Vanillart I would say "sure," but that's really not too challenging. The most one would have to do is let them gnaw at their food stores until they reach exalting age, and that's less than a week after they're hatched.

Besides, the fourth rule isn't about finding a permanent home per say. Just something that's not "buy, then get instantly exalted or exalt-trained." They could be used for a single breeding for a challenge, become a stud in a hatchery, be an intermediate on someone's quest to achieve a dream dragon, become someone else's fodder mill for a time... there are lots of reasons that people could enjoy a variety of dragons. Of course, them becoming a permie in someone's lair would be wonderful, but it's not required and certainly not expected for 100 separate hatchlings. Basically, as long as they stay in someone's lair for a couple weeks (at least until they're RTB), they can be exalted without impacting the challenge negatively since they found a home for a little while.*

I mean... I suppose a challenger could keep the hatchlings until they're RTB and fodder-sell or exalt them then, but that's still a really passive way to play a challenge whose inspiration was all about being always active with so many kids to constantly tend to. To each their own, though; I'm not the boss of anyone if they'd rather play the challenge some other way. c: Just make sure that, should you decide to take it up, you put forth your variations on the rules somewhere so that folks know you're not doing the "traditional" version of this challenge. ^^ Up to you!

*If you want to do the traditional rules, though, this is not something to exploit. Selling or giving away your hatchlings and just saying "I don't care what happens as long as they're not exalted until they're RTB" doesn't keep to the spirit of ensuring a good life for the matriarch's offspring.

(Lol I'm really passionate about the original rules because I've beaten the 100 Baby Challenge myself and it's simultaneously fun and hellish. xD But that's just me. So long as you find a way to play that's fun for you, that's all that matters.)
@Vanillart I would say "sure," but that's really not too challenging. The most one would have to do is let them gnaw at their food stores until they reach exalting age, and that's less than a week after they're hatched.

Besides, the fourth rule isn't about finding a permanent home per say. Just something that's not "buy, then get instantly exalted or exalt-trained." They could be used for a single breeding for a challenge, become a stud in a hatchery, be an intermediate on someone's quest to achieve a dream dragon, become someone else's fodder mill for a time... there are lots of reasons that people could enjoy a variety of dragons. Of course, them becoming a permie in someone's lair would be wonderful, but it's not required and certainly not expected for 100 separate hatchlings. Basically, as long as they stay in someone's lair for a couple weeks (at least until they're RTB), they can be exalted without impacting the challenge negatively since they found a home for a little while.*

I mean... I suppose a challenger could keep the hatchlings until they're RTB and fodder-sell or exalt them then, but that's still a really passive way to play a challenge whose inspiration was all about being always active with so many kids to constantly tend to. To each their own, though; I'm not the boss of anyone if they'd rather play the challenge some other way. c: Just make sure that, should you decide to take it up, you put forth your variations on the rules somewhere so that folks know you're not doing the "traditional" version of this challenge. ^^ Up to you!

*If you want to do the traditional rules, though, this is not something to exploit. Selling or giving away your hatchlings and just saying "I don't care what happens as long as they're not exalted until they're RTB" doesn't keep to the spirit of ensuring a good life for the matriarch's offspring.

(Lol I'm really passionate about the original rules because I've beaten the 100 Baby Challenge myself and it's simultaneously fun and hellish. xD But that's just me. So long as you find a way to play that's fun for you, that's all that matters.)
@Dreamnorm

Thanks for your explanation! I hope I didn't sound to pushy or rude, I was just curious as to why exalting was discouraged. I want to do this challenge someday (but I already have a bunch of hatchling projects going on, like song lyric offspring lists, I don't have the time or space T-T)
@Dreamnorm

Thanks for your explanation! I hope I didn't sound to pushy or rude, I was just curious as to why exalting was discouraged. I want to do this challenge someday (but I already have a bunch of hatchling projects going on, like song lyric offspring lists, I don't have the time or space T-T)
@Vanillart Eyy, it's fine. ^^ You didn't sound pushy or rude. Song lyric offspring lists sound difficult -- is that for an entire song? I've never heard of such a thing before, but that sounds pretty neat to me. c: Anyhow, feel free to post your 100 Hatchling Challenge matriarch and her misadventures with her numerous mates once you get her. Until then, best of luck with your other breeding projects! :D
@Vanillart Eyy, it's fine. ^^ You didn't sound pushy or rude. Song lyric offspring lists sound difficult -- is that for an entire song? I've never heard of such a thing before, but that sounds pretty neat to me. c: Anyhow, feel free to post your 100 Hatchling Challenge matriarch and her misadventures with her numerous mates once you get her. Until then, best of luck with your other breeding projects! :D
@Dreamnorm

Song lyric lists are basically when you breed offspring and then you name them after a song lyric until the list spells out all the lyrics to the song.

Good luck with this challenge thread! I hope it gets as popular as your other one :)
@Dreamnorm

Song lyric lists are basically when you breed offspring and then you name them after a song lyric until the list spells out all the lyrics to the song.

Good luck with this challenge thread! I hope it gets as popular as your other one :)
@Vanillart Ah, I'm sorry I didn't see this before I went to bed last night! That definitely sounds like it could take a while, especially if you get one-egged.

And thank you so much. :D
@Vanillart Ah, I'm sorry I didn't see this before I went to bed last night! That definitely sounds like it could take a while, especially if you get one-egged.

And thank you so much. :D
Unfortunately, I don't have room for this challenge (sob), but it looks like fun.

Maybe as a way with dealing with rule #4, those of you who are participating could set up a sort of hatchling swap? After all, you're all going to be looking for new breeding partners every time your matriarch is ready and this way all your baby boys could find their way to a home where they would be bred at least once.

In my experience, females of most breeds sell better on the AH than males.
Unfortunately, I don't have room for this challenge (sob), but it looks like fun.

Maybe as a way with dealing with rule #4, those of you who are participating could set up a sort of hatchling swap? After all, you're all going to be looking for new breeding partners every time your matriarch is ready and this way all your baby boys could find their way to a home where they would be bred at least once.

In my experience, females of most breeds sell better on the AH than males.
CC16.gif pastcat.png
@PastCat I understand. Lair space can be a real pain, can't it? xD There's nothing that forbids swapping male hatchlings around so that they can be the next partner for someone else's matriarch! That would fulfill the requirement nicely for them and I see no reason why to not allow that as part of the challenge. ^^ Then that would just leave one seeking out alternative homes for female hatchlings they receive -- given that's a 50/50, then it shouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Excellent suggestion. :D I will employ a forum thread for this in the Dragon Trading forum and will post a link in the first post, while also tagging those who have already started their challenges. ~ [b]ALSO[/b], slight change for my own challenge -- I initially wanted to mate my matriarch first with another Fae, but let's be real... I want that probability for a 5-egg nest. Fortunately, I have quite a handsome noodle hanging around who'll be RTB with her by the time I nest them with my other dergs! [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=26108757] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/261088/26108757_350.png[/img] [/url] His name is Ulysses and he's going to have his heart torn out. <3 If anyone would like the snazzy XYY Brushfoot, by the way, he's available on the AH for 25kt! But I'm willing to take him off and sell him for a lower price if he's going to a good home. ^^ Here he is, for reference: [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=26274357] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/262744/26274357_350.png[/img] [/url]
@PastCat I understand. Lair space can be a real pain, can't it? xD

There's nothing that forbids swapping male hatchlings around so that they can be the next partner for someone else's matriarch! That would fulfill the requirement nicely for them and I see no reason why to not allow that as part of the challenge. ^^ Then that would just leave one seeking out alternative homes for female hatchlings they receive -- given that's a 50/50, then it shouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Excellent suggestion. :D I will employ a forum thread for this in the Dragon Trading forum and will post a link in the first post, while also tagging those who have already started their challenges.

~

ALSO, slight change for my own challenge -- I initially wanted to mate my matriarch first with another Fae, but let's be real... I want that probability for a 5-egg nest. Fortunately, I have quite a handsome noodle hanging around who'll be RTB with her by the time I nest them with my other dergs!

26108757_350.png

His name is Ulysses and he's going to have his heart torn out. <3

If anyone would like the snazzy XYY Brushfoot, by the way, he's available on the AH for 25kt! But I'm willing to take him off and sell him for a lower price if he's going to a good home. ^^ Here he is, for reference:

26274357_350.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 91 92