Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Advertising Report Thread 2.0
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 197 198
The people getting the Ads by WGX are infected with a notification virus, which I talked about in the old report thread before it was closed. People either allowed notifications from WGX or one of their ad servers, or automatically have site notifications turned on. This goes without saying but do not accept site/browser notifications unless you absolutely know what you're doing!

This site gives detailed instructions on how to remove it, but you need to know what you're doing. Here's another with instructions.
And another.

Since this is something that can install extensions into your browser and it changes your browser settings, it doesn't necessarily get removed by your computer's regular antivirus software. It's also something you have to actively let in, so again, don't accept notifications from any site, ever.
The people getting the Ads by WGX are infected with a notification virus, which I talked about in the old report thread before it was closed. People either allowed notifications from WGX or one of their ad servers, or automatically have site notifications turned on. This goes without saying but do not accept site/browser notifications unless you absolutely know what you're doing!

This site gives detailed instructions on how to remove it, but you need to know what you're doing. Here's another with instructions.
And another.

Since this is something that can install extensions into your browser and it changes your browser settings, it doesn't necessarily get removed by your computer's regular antivirus software. It's also something you have to actively let in, so again, don't accept notifications from any site, ever.
I once saw an ad for a hoodie with.. innapropriate anime faces on it. I've never seen it since, so it's probably been resolved--but thought i'd throw it out anyway.
I once saw an ad for a hoodie with.. innapropriate anime faces on it. I've never seen it since, so it's probably been resolved--but thought i'd throw it out anyway.
11LDv.gifl7lvO.gifgRsRk.gifJSerD.gif
@AnnieFelis When I started getting the Ads by WGX issue, I followed the advice of a few websites on how to specifically remove Ads by WGX but found absolutely nothing on my PC. I've only had an issue on FR (also the only site I don't block). I would still recommend people check their machines (look up suspicious/unknown programs/processes/extensions, run your protection/cleaning softwares of choice) but these steps have not helped me unfortunately so I've had to block FR. Also! [b]To anyone who has an Ads by WGX ad pop up and aren't sure how to get rid of it without getting redirected or closing your tab/browser, just refresh the page and it'll go away! Not great for coli tho.[/b] At least that worked for me. Moderating this thread so I know when it's safe to unblock FR [emoji=gaoler sad size=2]
@AnnieFelis
When I started getting the Ads by WGX issue, I followed the advice of a few websites on how to specifically remove Ads by WGX but found absolutely nothing on my PC. I've only had an issue on FR (also the only site I don't block). I would still recommend people check their machines (look up suspicious/unknown programs/processes/extensions, run your protection/cleaning softwares of choice) but these steps have not helped me unfortunately so I've had to block FR.

Also! To anyone who has an Ads by WGX ad pop up and aren't sure how to get rid of it without getting redirected or closing your tab/browser, just refresh the page and it'll go away! Not great for coli tho.

At least that worked for me. Moderating this thread so I know when it's safe to unblock FR
Looking for these skins!
@Umbral The WGX thing is kind of a gateway browser hijack. Once you let it in, it starts downloading and add other things through its shady ad network. Anyway the way I removed it from my son's computer was blocking all site notifications from anything in the "accepted" list, which was a bunch of gibberish ad URLs.

Then again, I've made sure to keep my son's uBlock updated from now on so he won't get sneaky ads that get through on planetminecraft or 9minecraft (minecraft modding sites, which have questionable ads like anything on the curse network). I know people want to whitelist FR, but if this keeps happening I'm going to suggest that people use adblockers and support the site in some other manner. This is not the fault of the FR devs, but of how ad networks are formed, packaged, sold and resold. It's hard to avoid unsafe ads on the internet, and if you have a windows machine it really is in your best interest to block all ads. It sucks for the sites that need that revenue, but those sites cannot expect people to compromise their computers and possibly personal data just for some ad money.
@Umbral The WGX thing is kind of a gateway browser hijack. Once you let it in, it starts downloading and add other things through its shady ad network. Anyway the way I removed it from my son's computer was blocking all site notifications from anything in the "accepted" list, which was a bunch of gibberish ad URLs.

Then again, I've made sure to keep my son's uBlock updated from now on so he won't get sneaky ads that get through on planetminecraft or 9minecraft (minecraft modding sites, which have questionable ads like anything on the curse network). I know people want to whitelist FR, but if this keeps happening I'm going to suggest that people use adblockers and support the site in some other manner. This is not the fault of the FR devs, but of how ad networks are formed, packaged, sold and resold. It's hard to avoid unsafe ads on the internet, and if you have a windows machine it really is in your best interest to block all ads. It sucks for the sites that need that revenue, but those sites cannot expect people to compromise their computers and possibly personal data just for some ad money.
@AnnieFelis
Yeah, it super sucks, I've even enjoyed the ads in the past (e.g. web comics). If FR sold their shirts in a smaller size I'd buy those, but perhaps some stickers will do in the meantime.
@AnnieFelis
Yeah, it super sucks, I've even enjoyed the ads in the past (e.g. web comics). If FR sold their shirts in a smaller size I'd buy those, but perhaps some stickers will do in the meantime.
Looking for these skins!
I keep getting "Ads by WGX" that keep telling me my ******* subscription has expired. I don't have a ******* subscription.
It usually shows up when gathering, and redirects to a shady website. I'm on Chrome, Windows 10. I don't have any screenshots, unfortunately, I honestly assumed this was just normal;;
Though, I did google "Ads by WGX" and just found more shady sites :/
I keep getting "Ads by WGX" that keep telling me my ******* subscription has expired. I don't have a ******* subscription.
It usually shows up when gathering, and redirects to a shady website. I'm on Chrome, Windows 10. I don't have any screenshots, unfortunately, I honestly assumed this was just normal;;
Though, I did google "Ads by WGX" and just found more shady sites :/
Only hosting one nest at a time right now, school is keeping me busy.

JvUa9ma.png
ykMZ9ER.png
eWIwatT.png
3B15OeM.png
Earth-Network.png qbj5aU6.gif Wvxp6J9.png
@AnnieFelis

The odd thing is, I only got those on Flight Rising. None of the other sites I use have displayed the WGX ads, and I never accept notifications for any site I use. Now that ads are off, I haven't been getting them.

I've peeled through my PC and haven't found anything out of the ordinary. I will continue to monitor my computer and Chrome for potential threats, but at the moment I can't see how this WGX ad issue is on my end.

I might just get an adblocker. Is there any particular one that you recommend?

@AnnieFelis

The odd thing is, I only got those on Flight Rising. None of the other sites I use have displayed the WGX ads, and I never accept notifications for any site I use. Now that ads are off, I haven't been getting them.

I've peeled through my PC and haven't found anything out of the ordinary. I will continue to monitor my computer and Chrome for potential threats, but at the moment I can't see how this WGX ad issue is on my end.

I might just get an adblocker. Is there any particular one that you recommend?

3 hours ahead of FR time
I had been getting ads from adam&eve which is a uhm ... Adult site. I stopped getting them when i switched to mobile tho.
I had been getting ads from adam&eve which is a uhm ... Adult site. I stopped getting them when i switched to mobile tho.
Anyone who has had ad issues between October 04, 2019 18:56:54 and now - we believe that issues taking place during that time are not Flight Rising's advertising networks. We have shut off ads and defaulted to showing a single banner ad for hiveworks and are not showing real advertising from any ad network, and have been since the 4th while we try and narrow where there pop-up issue is coming from.

So if it's still happening, I would strongly recommend checking your system for malware or extensions that insert ads.
Anyone who has had ad issues between October 04, 2019 18:56:54 and now - we believe that issues taking place during that time are not Flight Rising's advertising networks. We have shut off ads and defaulted to showing a single banner ad for hiveworks and are not showing real advertising from any ad network, and have been since the 4th while we try and narrow where there pop-up issue is coming from.

So if it's still happening, I would strongly recommend checking your system for malware or extensions that insert ads.
Using chrome. Clicked on one of my FR tabs, which usually refreshes it after I haven't been on it for a while. Got immediately redirected to a new site and a new tab was opened with what I was viewing on FR before(one of my dragons).

https://sta.sh/03cfxmd7kbb (screenshot)

I'm not sure what system a chromebook uses. It's provided by my school and restricted so it shouldn't have malware or anything like that? The tab that I refreshed was opened a few days ago before you stopped ads again.
Using chrome. Clicked on one of my FR tabs, which usually refreshes it after I haven't been on it for a while. Got immediately redirected to a new site and a new tab was opened with what I was viewing on FR before(one of my dragons).

https://sta.sh/03cfxmd7kbb (screenshot)

I'm not sure what system a chromebook uses. It's provided by my school and restricted so it shouldn't have malware or anything like that? The tab that I refreshed was opened a few days ago before you stopped ads again.
2PeYDZ0.png2sUJOiW.pngei6Xo3k.pngBJ95k75.pngQasyH6n.png
1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 197 198