Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Steampunk Refresh
1 2 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 62 63
[quote name="BatCrooks" date="2019-09-07 01:45:18" ] [item=Copper Steampunk Tail Bauble] shouldn't the light on this be green? [/quote] Whoops! Yes it should. The two tone effect being omitted was also an error. We'll be restoring the two tone effect (ex: chest pieces) and fixing the incorrect light colors on the green variant shortly. It is the weekend and our artists are off for now, but we'll begin work on this Monday.
BatCrooks wrote on 2019-09-07 01:45:18:
Copper Steampunk Tail Bauble
shouldn't the light on this be green?

Whoops! Yes it should.

The two tone effect being omitted was also an error. We'll be restoring the two tone effect (ex: chest pieces) and fixing the incorrect light colors on the green variant shortly. It is the weekend and our artists are off for now, but we'll begin work on this Monday.
I really don't mind apparel updates as long as there's a visible improvement on the artwork quality since this is pretty much the point of an update. Some changes in the design can be acceptable as long as it's not too drastic, and I think on that aspect they handled it mostly well(I really dislike how the wings look on female imperials, that backpack thing looks extremely awkward). However, what makes me really dislike this update is that there was no improvement in the quality whatsoever, if anything it's subpar to the old versions. The items have less shading and highlighting, making them look extremely flat. The gold set has it specially bad, because those wing plates are literally plain white without any shading and highlighting whatsoever. At the end of the day, these new sets are just as flawed as the old ones, and I think that's what many players found so jarring. Plus as I mentioned in another comment: [quote name="Lilian" date="2019-09-07 09:09:37" ] I also feel the need to point this out: although we got a new artwork, many of the actual issues and art errors from the previous set were not changed at all. Such as: [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dummy?breed=11&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png[/img] The utter nonsense that is the positioning of the wings on male nocs. The more you look at it, the worse it gets. [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dummy?breed=5&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png[/img] Really, [b]really[/b] bad copy-paste jobs. See how that gear piece is the exact same on both wings regardless of perspective and position. [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dummy?breed=9&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png[/img] Visible abuse of the warping tool. Notice how much the wing blades were deformed at the top to fit the dragon's wing shape, without consideration for perspective. [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dummy?breed=12&gender=1&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png[/img] The inconsistency of wing design. Some dragons have blades on both sides of the wings, others don't. This is specially irksome in wing positions that should allow you to see the blades(or at the very least the gear piece) on the other side too. [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dummy?breed=4&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png[/img] Wing blades and mechanical arm clipping OVER the tail. [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dummy?breed=6&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png[/img] This makes even worse sense on tundras than male nocs. That piston under the large gear piece combined with the wiring and visible smaller gears underneath the blades makes it look like the mechanical arm is floating over the tundra's wings regardless of his position. With the old sets, guardians were the ones who got this exact kind of flaw... so it's still a repeat of the same art errors. [/quote]
I really don't mind apparel updates as long as there's a visible improvement on the artwork quality since this is pretty much the point of an update. Some changes in the design can be acceptable as long as it's not too drastic, and I think on that aspect they handled it mostly well(I really dislike how the wings look on female imperials, that backpack thing looks extremely awkward).

However, what makes me really dislike this update is that there was no improvement in the quality whatsoever, if anything it's subpar to the old versions. The items have less shading and highlighting, making them look extremely flat. The gold set has it specially bad, because those wing plates are literally plain white without any shading and highlighting whatsoever. At the end of the day, these new sets are just as flawed as the old ones, and I think that's what many players found so jarring.

Plus as I mentioned in another comment:
Lilian wrote on 2019-09-07 09:09:37:
I also feel the need to point this out: although we got a new artwork, many of the actual issues and art errors from the previous set were not changed at all. Such as:

dummy?breed=11&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png

The utter nonsense that is the positioning of the wings on male nocs. The more you look at it, the worse it gets.

dummy?breed=5&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png
Really, really bad copy-paste jobs. See how that gear piece is the exact same on both wings regardless of perspective and position.

dummy?breed=9&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png
Visible abuse of the warping tool. Notice how much the wing blades were deformed at the top to fit the dragon's wing shape, without consideration for perspective.

dummy?breed=12&gender=1&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png
The inconsistency of wing design. Some dragons have blades on both sides of the wings, others don't. This is specially irksome in wing positions that should allow you to see the blades(or at the very least the gear piece) on the other side too.

dummy?breed=4&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png
Wing blades and mechanical arm clipping OVER the tail.

dummy?breed=6&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png
This makes even worse sense on tundras than male nocs. That piston under the large gear piece combined with the wiring and visible smaller gears underneath the blades makes it look like the mechanical arm is floating over the tundra's wings regardless of his position. With the old sets, guardians were the ones who got this exact kind of flaw... so it's still a repeat of the same art errors.

ssjS89N.png
These are awesome! :D
These are awesome! :D
[quote name="@Undel" date="2019-09-07 15:08:42" ] [quote name="BatCrooks" date="2019-09-07 01:45:18" ] [item=Copper Steampunk Tail Bauble] shouldn't the light on this be green? [/quote] Whoops! Yes it should. The two tone effect being omitted was also an error. We'll be restoring the two tone effect (ex: chest pieces) and fixing the incorrect light colors on the green variant shortly. It is the weekend and our artists are off for now, but we'll begin work on this Monday. [/quote] Thank you so, so much! The bauble on the wing cover and the goggles lenses in the Copper set have also ended up blue, I'm so relieved to hear this is an oversight and it's going to be fixed.
@Undel wrote on 2019-09-07 15:08:42:

Whoops! Yes it should.

The two tone effect being omitted was also an error. We'll be restoring the two tone effect (ex: chest pieces) and fixing the incorrect light colors on the green variant shortly. It is the weekend and our artists are off for now, but we'll begin work on this Monday.

Thank you so, so much! The bauble on the wing cover and the goggles lenses in the Copper set have also ended up blue, I'm so relieved to hear this is an oversight and it's going to be fixed.
oie.Pgg1_l68r_QDSN.png oie_q8_X06_TYk_S4g3.png
It occurs to me, that wouldn't it just be more pleasant for us to have the old wings back (as that seems to be the biggest issue as I've read over the thread, and what was damaged on my own outfits). Then just have two versions of wings floating around.

Someone above mentioned the ribbons, (which we had a poll on, btw), but yeah, the ribbons didn't change that much, they still covered like before, but new bows were added to the sets and more color options came out.

I think that's a pretty excellent way to go about these sorts of updates in the future. Don't drastically change something that's been such a staple, but add it on.

I could easily use both wing versions on the same dragon, because they are not identical so they don't cover each other up.

That's what I like about playing with the apparel and why I don't like them being revamped so often, when the revamp is actually a remove/replace. Making V1, V2, V3 sets and so on is a really easy way to build off of an existing concept, but add new flavors to it. V2 could've just been 'Enhanced Wings + Recolors in a new Style" and it would've just increased the overall options for the players to make their designs with. What we've got now is a decrease in the options, I have to remove the wings on my dragons and I cannot replace them on those permas.

Would staff just go ahead and make apparel blueprints a thing? That would solve everyone's problems, they can revamp as they please, I'll get a thagomizer for my bogsneaks.
It occurs to me, that wouldn't it just be more pleasant for us to have the old wings back (as that seems to be the biggest issue as I've read over the thread, and what was damaged on my own outfits). Then just have two versions of wings floating around.

Someone above mentioned the ribbons, (which we had a poll on, btw), but yeah, the ribbons didn't change that much, they still covered like before, but new bows were added to the sets and more color options came out.

I think that's a pretty excellent way to go about these sorts of updates in the future. Don't drastically change something that's been such a staple, but add it on.

I could easily use both wing versions on the same dragon, because they are not identical so they don't cover each other up.

That's what I like about playing with the apparel and why I don't like them being revamped so often, when the revamp is actually a remove/replace. Making V1, V2, V3 sets and so on is a really easy way to build off of an existing concept, but add new flavors to it. V2 could've just been 'Enhanced Wings + Recolors in a new Style" and it would've just increased the overall options for the players to make their designs with. What we've got now is a decrease in the options, I have to remove the wings on my dragons and I cannot replace them on those permas.

Would staff just go ahead and make apparel blueprints a thing? That would solve everyone's problems, they can revamp as they please, I'll get a thagomizer for my bogsneaks.
Long Patrol and Hibden
for forum games, please.
QF3R6o0.png mFu1NtF.png
[/center]
[font=georgia][b]Before:[/b] [img]https://i.imgur.com/sTJU3qm.png[/img] [b]After:[/b] [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=53046212] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/530463/53046212_350.png[/img] [/url] BEAUUUUUTIFUL [emoji=spiral star size=1]
Before:
sTJU3qm.png

After:

53046212_350.png

BEAUUUUUTIFUL
o0SRo53.gif EXALT ROW RESCUE HUB
BABY NOODLE CLUB
Current Avatar Dragon
Very Special Spotlight Dragon
[quote name="gbot13" date="2019-09-07 01:17:37" ] Gotta say I was really looking forward to the new steampunk stuff! It really turned out spectacular, clipping issues aside [emoji=ridgeback love size=2] [/quote] Wait, did you know this was going to happen? How did you find out?
gbot13 wrote on 2019-09-07 01:17:37:
Gotta say I was really looking forward to the new steampunk stuff! It really turned out spectacular, clipping issues aside

Wait, did you know this was going to happen? How did you find out?
tumblr_on2jk2roo91r0vp0no1_250.png
im really glad this set got new art! i had a really hard time using the older versions in outfits because they just looked really bad with newer apparel, so this is really nice! my only problem is these wing clipping/placement issues that really, are NOT good at all and really should be fixed along with the light color on the baubles of the copper set. the wing placement is so inconsistent and bad on some of these. like, why are the steampunk wings on the underside AND the backside of the wings at the same time for some of the breeds???? hello?? that really doesnt make sense at all. [quote name="Lilian" date="2019-09-07 09:09:37" ] I also feel the need to point this out: although we got a new artwork, many of the actual issues and art errors from the previous set were not changed at all. Such as: [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dummy?breed=11&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png[/img] The utter nonsense that is the positioning of the wings on male nocs. The more you look at it, the worse it gets. [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dummy?breed=5&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png[/img] Really, [b]really[/b] bad copy-paste jobs. See how that gear piece is the exact same on both wings regardless of perspective and position. [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dummy?breed=9&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png[/img] Visible abuse of the warping tool. Notice how much the wing blades were deformed at the top to fit the dragon's wing shape, without consideration for perspective. [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dummy?breed=12&gender=1&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png[/img] The inconsistency of wing design. Some dragons have blades on both sides of the wings, others don't. This is specially irksome in wing positions that should allow you to see the blades(or at the very least the gear piece) on the other side too. [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dummy?breed=4&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png[/img] Wing blades and mechanical arm clipping OVER the tail. [img]http://www1.flightrising.com/dgen/dressing-room/dummy?breed=6&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png[/img] This makes even worse sense on tundras than male nocs. That piston under the large gear piece combined with the wiring and visible smaller gears underneath the blades makes it look like the mechanical arm is floating over the tundra's wings regardless of his position. With the old sets, guardians were the ones who got this exact kind of flaw... so it's still a repeat of the same art errors. [/quote]
im really glad this set got new art! i had a really hard time using the older versions in outfits because they just looked really bad with newer apparel, so this is really nice! my only problem is these wing clipping/placement issues that really, are NOT good at all and really should be fixed along with the light color on the baubles of the copper set.

the wing placement is so inconsistent and bad on some of these. like, why are the steampunk wings on the underside AND the backside of the wings at the same time for some of the breeds???? hello?? that really doesnt make sense at all.

Lilian wrote on 2019-09-07 09:09:37:
I also feel the need to point this out: although we got a new artwork, many of the actual issues and art errors from the previous set were not changed at all. Such as:

dummy?breed=11&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png

The utter nonsense that is the positioning of the wings on male nocs. The more you look at it, the worse it gets.

dummy?breed=5&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png
Really, really bad copy-paste jobs. See how that gear piece is the exact same on both wings regardless of perspective and position.

dummy?breed=9&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png
Visible abuse of the warping tool. Notice how much the wing blades were deformed at the top to fit the dragon's wing shape, without consideration for perspective.

dummy?breed=12&gender=1&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png
The inconsistency of wing design. Some dragons have blades on both sides of the wings, others don't. This is specially irksome in wing positions that should allow you to see the blades(or at the very least the gear piece) on the other side too.

dummy?breed=4&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png
Wing blades and mechanical arm clipping OVER the tail.

dummy?breed=6&gender=0&skin=0&apparel=429&xt=dressing.png
This makes even worse sense on tundras than male nocs. That piston under the large gear piece combined with the wiring and visible smaller gears underneath the blades makes it look like the mechanical arm is floating over the tundra's wings regardless of his position. With the old sets, guardians were the ones who got this exact kind of flaw... so it's still a repeat of the same art errors.
Aw man, my baby Acacia looks so different :( Old: [img]https://i.imgur.com/KOSMRHG.png[/img] New: [img]https://i.imgur.com/rKgGIJ3.png[/img] Her lil green goggles were so cute and the bronze in her wings wasn't so distracting ;v;
Aw man, my baby Acacia looks so different :(

Old:
KOSMRHG.png

New:
rKgGIJ3.png

Her lil green goggles were so cute and the bronze in her wings wasn't so distracting ;v;
~~BABYYYY.png~ ~
@ aeons ~
» avatar | fandragons | art instagram
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
art_search_button_ii_i.png
art_shop_button_ii_i.png
[quote name="Undel" date="2019-09-07 15:08:42" ] [quote name="BatCrooks" date="2019-09-07 01:45:18" ] [item=Copper Steampunk Tail Bauble] shouldn't the light on this be green? [/quote] Whoops! Yes it should. The two tone effect being omitted was also an error. We'll be restoring the two tone effect (ex: chest pieces) and fixing the incorrect light colors on the green variant shortly. It is the weekend and our artists are off for now, but we'll begin work on this Monday. [/quote] Thank you so, so very much for addressing this! [emoji=familiar heart size=1] I, and I'm sure many other people, really appreciate it. I patiently await to see the updates in the near future!!
Undel wrote on 2019-09-07 15:08:42:

Whoops! Yes it should.

Thank you so, so very much for addressing this! I, and I'm sure many other people, really appreciate it.

I patiently await to see the updates in the near future!!
exl1.pngqAZgY0h.pngLXQ5Ih1.pngwg00sIS.png10FXer7.pngU9lx3R6.pngexl2.pnggEvXGc7.pngStoat-7114-135-0-51-1-140.png
Hex0gCq.png
1 2 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 62 63