Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Hold on, don't check this
1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Absolutely do not do a mass ping.

But when the Tidelord comes home, I'm going to be switching flights... (maybe even sooner).
Absolutely do not do a mass ping.

But when the Tidelord comes home, I'm going to be switching flights... (maybe even sooner).
Ahh, gotchya
Ahh, gotchya
miDn30f.gif
in reference to the idea that other threads have done it and nothing bad has happened - the last one I recall being "popular" did get locked - however, it was locked due to someone bumping it repeatedly several times a day by a single user and while they were doing it by randomly pinging deities - I think it was more the nature of the bumps and the content of their posts

While personally, I would find a mass ping thread a bit more on the iffy/spammy side than others, it has happened before and while someone does have to maintain the deity accounts, they're more likely to not pay a single bit of attention to pings/messages, lol.

As a note, none of the other threads were really ever 'organized' from what I remember. It was more just random threads that started out with people pinging the deities and other replies followed in their footsteps.

I'm unaware of the shadow thread mentioned earlier but it might be worth tracking these threads down and actually seeing if the mods gave a reason for the lock. Unless they were straight deleted then any locked thread should have a clarifying post by the mod/admin that locked it.

In that vein I'll see if I can't find the thread I referenced earlier.

Edit: Here's the one I was thinking of.

So that one specifically was axed due to being bumped constantly and not the fact it was a ping thread.

However, in my search there were plenty of threads that started off with a title or OP that was basically "Okay now ping the deities" and while some didn't even get a full page of replies others got to 5+

Looking through some of them, people either lost interest or something else happened that got people to stop posting because usually the end of the thread was someone popping in months (Or years) later to bump it with a new ping.

There is actually just a thread called "Ping the Deities" and there are a few variations on that title. None of those specific ones were locked at the time. Although rules might have changed, of course, and since this is an organized mass-ping it might be considered different.
in reference to the idea that other threads have done it and nothing bad has happened - the last one I recall being "popular" did get locked - however, it was locked due to someone bumping it repeatedly several times a day by a single user and while they were doing it by randomly pinging deities - I think it was more the nature of the bumps and the content of their posts

While personally, I would find a mass ping thread a bit more on the iffy/spammy side than others, it has happened before and while someone does have to maintain the deity accounts, they're more likely to not pay a single bit of attention to pings/messages, lol.

As a note, none of the other threads were really ever 'organized' from what I remember. It was more just random threads that started out with people pinging the deities and other replies followed in their footsteps.

I'm unaware of the shadow thread mentioned earlier but it might be worth tracking these threads down and actually seeing if the mods gave a reason for the lock. Unless they were straight deleted then any locked thread should have a clarifying post by the mod/admin that locked it.

In that vein I'll see if I can't find the thread I referenced earlier.

Edit: Here's the one I was thinking of.

So that one specifically was axed due to being bumped constantly and not the fact it was a ping thread.

However, in my search there were plenty of threads that started off with a title or OP that was basically "Okay now ping the deities" and while some didn't even get a full page of replies others got to 5+

Looking through some of them, people either lost interest or something else happened that got people to stop posting because usually the end of the thread was someone popping in months (Or years) later to bump it with a new ping.

There is actually just a thread called "Ping the Deities" and there are a few variations on that title. None of those specific ones were locked at the time. Although rules might have changed, of course, and since this is an organized mass-ping it might be considered different.
IT7iTv8.png
@AlphaSobek

Ah. See these are the reasons why I'm confused on doing this or not. At this point, it's less about doing the mass ping and just being clear on the rules.

The rules should state specifically if this is illegal or not. It's incredibly unclear. If it is against the rules, then I'm going to be doing a thread in the Suggestions forum that they should make it a clear black-and-white rule. This isn't a new idea. People have done it in the past and people will do it in the future. It isn't fair to have wishy-washy rules and then get people into trouble for the rules being unclear.

*sigh*
@AlphaSobek

Ah. See these are the reasons why I'm confused on doing this or not. At this point, it's less about doing the mass ping and just being clear on the rules.

The rules should state specifically if this is illegal or not. It's incredibly unclear. If it is against the rules, then I'm going to be doing a thread in the Suggestions forum that they should make it a clear black-and-white rule. This isn't a new idea. People have done it in the past and people will do it in the future. It isn't fair to have wishy-washy rules and then get people into trouble for the rules being unclear.

*sigh*
SYJDX48.png
The forum rules are pretty clear on what is and is not OK. Posting in a discussion forum should have discussion content; mass pings for the sake of pings are not a discussion. Many users sending their own messages of 'we miss you please come back' in their own words is a discussion - even if it is not being replied to by the target of the post - and is OK.
The forum rules are pretty clear on what is and is not OK. Posting in a discussion forum should have discussion content; mass pings for the sake of pings are not a discussion. Many users sending their own messages of 'we miss you please come back' in their own words is a discussion - even if it is not being replied to by the target of the post - and is OK.
i'm gonna be that person who doesn't understand and ask what the point of this is if he's not going to answer for site lore reasons-
i'm gonna be that person who doesn't understand and ask what the point of this is if he's not going to answer for site lore reasons-
FR_Sig_LightningElektra.pngFR_Sig_BlastersBassdrive.pngStormheart.gifFR_Sig_SpaceFractal.pngFR_Sig_G1sSkyfall.png
Hello all! Regarding the topic, I have to put my 'No Fun' hat on. [emoji=skull size=1] Mass pinging deities could have a negative or harmful impact on the site. It's best to err on the side of caution and not do it. We risk creating an issue that would require we pull engineers off feature or quality of life work to fix it, delaying overall site development. /nofunhatoff
Hello all! Regarding the topic, I have to put my 'No Fun' hat on.

Mass pinging deities could have a negative or harmful impact on the site. It's best to err on the side of caution and not do it. We risk creating an issue that would require we pull engineers off feature or quality of life work to fix it, delaying overall site development. /nofunhatoff

[quote name="Aequorin" date="2019-06-19 09:17:39" ] Hello all! Regarding the topic, I have to put my 'No Fun' hat on. [emoji=skull size=1] Mass pinging deities could have a negative or harmful impact on the site. It's best to err on the side of caution and not do it. We risk creating an issue that would require we pull engineers off feature or quality of life work to fix it, delaying overall site development. /nofunhatoff [/quote] Okay, thank you so much for your feedback! Do you if the rules will be updated to better explain the rules of mass pinging and what the deities’ accounts qualify as, or will we simply have to use this event as a reference in the future?
Aequorin wrote on 2019-06-19 09:17:39:
Hello all! Regarding the topic, I have to put my 'No Fun' hat on.

Mass pinging deities could have a negative or harmful impact on the site. It's best to err on the side of caution and not do it. We risk creating an issue that would require we pull engineers off feature or quality of life work to fix it, delaying overall site development. /nofunhatoff

Okay, thank you so much for your feedback! Do you if the rules will be updated to better explain the rules of mass pinging and what the deities’ accounts qualify as, or will we simply have to use this event as a reference in the future?
6975-DF1-F-0-CE4-484-C-9-DAC-849203436797.png
We could do it like the arcanist summoning thread in arcane forums, cause iirc we don't ping him all the time in the thread
We could do it like the arcanist summoning thread in arcane forums, cause iirc we don't ping him all the time in the thread
SnailDivider.png
YCOzZhb.gif

Lemon Flight
nudibranch.png
Beating UM with just a Tynamo
ridgeback s o u p
nudibranch.png
fr time + 3
SnailDivider2.png
I think mass pinging any account, not just dieties, would be a problem from a server load perspective if players are trying to all send the forum posts and associated pings at the same time? I suspect that is what Aequorin is alluding to with the system considerations.
I think mass pinging any account, not just dieties, would be a problem from a server load perspective if players are trying to all send the forum posts and associated pings at the same time? I suspect that is what Aequorin is alluding to with the system considerations.
1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21