Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | The new gif/jif debate
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
“Jailer” is the correct one, so jailer.
“Jailer” is the correct one, so jailer.
ctFAI4k.gif
Jailer is without a doubt the correct way to pronounce it but I still think ga-ow-ler sounds cooler and since it's my mind I'll pronounce it that way lol.

Now gif on the other hand, in all my years of life I have never once met someone IRL who says jif. Jif just makes me think of peanut butter and I hate it. I will ride or die with gif.
Jailer is without a doubt the correct way to pronounce it but I still think ga-ow-ler sounds cooler and since it's my mind I'll pronounce it that way lol.

Now gif on the other hand, in all my years of life I have never once met someone IRL who says jif. Jif just makes me think of peanut butter and I hate it. I will ride or die with gif.
mothsmall.png7jZclF3.gifdaintysmallup-2.png
I say and read "get" all the time, so hard g "gif" sounds good to me. Making that g-preceeding-other-vowel soft, though... I'm gonna have to say "jailer" aloud every time I see one, unless I want to be stuck with "gowler."

please will someone give them a nickname and make the difficulty moot

Edit: the thing about "gaoler" being a real word is great, but we don't all know it because it's archaic. I got stuck with "gowler" in my head when the Jailbreak story came out so long ago, and it's not leaving :(
I say and read "get" all the time, so hard g "gif" sounds good to me. Making that g-preceeding-other-vowel soft, though... I'm gonna have to say "jailer" aloud every time I see one, unless I want to be stuck with "gowler."

please will someone give them a nickname and make the difficulty moot

Edit: the thing about "gaoler" being a real word is great, but we don't all know it because it's archaic. I got stuck with "gowler" in my head when the Jailbreak story came out so long ago, and it's not leaving :(
36627432_DdNrYTjMtSKEqr3.png
[img]https://media1.tenor.com/images/8160cdf98aa03699dcd06c9aea180287/tenor.gif[/img]
tenor.gif
Flight Rising Developer
Project Management | Engineering Team Cheerleader | UI Designer
To people who can't get hard g, how do you pronounce giraffe?

...that said, mentally they are 100% gay-o-lers.
To people who can't get hard g, how do you pronounce giraffe?

...that said, mentally they are 100% gay-o-lers.
jYPBXj5.png4RsuN8b.pngMXNV32c.pngS7EiNKy.png
Gow-ler

(I know it's jailer but my brain sometimes doesn't agree)
Gow-ler

(I know it's jailer but my brain sometimes doesn't agree)
I catch myself pronouncing it "gah-ow-ler" from time to time, but I try to correct myself ;w;
I catch myself pronouncing it "gah-ow-ler" from time to time, but I try to correct myself ;w;
arcane.png
[ Howard Phillips Lovecraft Fandragon Quest ]
[ The Wolves of Mibu Project ]
I like notifications, so please don't hesitate to ping me~
arcaneshade.png
[quote name="BrandonFlowers" date="2019-06-09 02:31:15" ] Funnily enough, I am Team Jif for life but my brain refuses to accept that Gaoler = Jailer, evern though it makes well enough sense lol. [/quote] Me exactly. It's 'Gale-er' in my head, even though I know it's canonically "'Jail-er.'
BrandonFlowers wrote on 2019-06-09 02:31:15:
Funnily enough, I am Team Jif for life but my brain refuses to accept that Gaoler = Jailer, evern though it makes well enough sense lol.
Me exactly. It's 'Gale-er' in my head, even though I know it's canonically "'Jail-er.'
tumblr_inline_njviwo2B9Z1qg2i5p.png
[quote name="SandBoa" date="2019-06-09 03:53:57" ] Gayler is what I’ve used and I’m sticking to it, at least when I’m reading the word in my head. [emoji=gaoler happy size=1] [/quote] Same.
SandBoa wrote on 2019-06-09 03:53:57:
Gayler is what I’ve used and I’m sticking to it, at least when I’m reading the word in my head.
Same.
Gow-ler, Jailer doesn't sound right and isn't very cool
Gow-ler, Jailer doesn't sound right and isn't very cool
lore_shop_by_angeldragonisa-dch2oyt.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9