Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Hatchery Help
Hi guys!! So I have two hatcheries, one which is themed around food and one that’s a snapper hatchery. Both hatcheries are my first experience (I made them p much at the same time) and I understand that my genes and breeds of dragons aren’t super on demand but I’ve gotten really low interest and response from them.

I bump both of my hatcheries regularly, I’ve tried to make the posts clean and easy to read and all that. Any advice would help!!!

Thanks!!! <33
Hi guys!! So I have two hatcheries, one which is themed around food and one that’s a snapper hatchery. Both hatcheries are my first experience (I made them p much at the same time) and I understand that my genes and breeds of dragons aren’t super on demand but I’ve gotten really low interest and response from them.

I bump both of my hatcheries regularly, I’ve tried to make the posts clean and easy to read and all that. Any advice would help!!!

Thanks!!! <33
xnw9ITX.png nQas4CO.png
@Leafymaxis Your hatcheries look fine, the layouts are easy to read and the threads look nice and neat. You've pretty much answered your own question: you're offering unpopular genes, breeds, and colors that don't necessarily compliment each other with grey-bellied pink Snappers and Nature eyes. This doesn't mean your dragons are ugly or bad- but their market appeal is limited and there are a LOT of dragons for sale out there to compete against. Hatcheries in general aren't as successful as they used to be when it's so easy to search for dream dragons on the AH.

In the end you have two choices: you can breed what you like, or you can breed what's popular. I don't actually recommend breeding dragons you don't personally enjoy to try and please other people; your lair space is precious and trends change all the time. But you may have to get more creative with marketing or be more selective with your pairs. If you'd rather not have to exalt unsold babies then it may be easier to save your pairs for breeding on demand.
@Leafymaxis Your hatcheries look fine, the layouts are easy to read and the threads look nice and neat. You've pretty much answered your own question: you're offering unpopular genes, breeds, and colors that don't necessarily compliment each other with grey-bellied pink Snappers and Nature eyes. This doesn't mean your dragons are ugly or bad- but their market appeal is limited and there are a LOT of dragons for sale out there to compete against. Hatcheries in general aren't as successful as they used to be when it's so easy to search for dream dragons on the AH.

In the end you have two choices: you can breed what you like, or you can breed what's popular. I don't actually recommend breeding dragons you don't personally enjoy to try and please other people; your lair space is precious and trends change all the time. But you may have to get more creative with marketing or be more selective with your pairs. If you'd rather not have to exalt unsold babies then it may be easier to save your pairs for breeding on demand.
@Leafymaxis

First thoughts:

I love your breeding cards. They're a great representation of the the range your pairs produce and look cute.

Layout and organization is clean and easily readable, both hatcheries have threads that are easily found and relevant to your pairs.

Improvements:

1. Delete your bump posts after you make them. They'll still bump you up but won't interfere with seeing posts with content.

2. Blossom Brigade is a removed thread so you probably want to remove it from your signature.

3. Sweet Treats' image next to Snapper Hatchery looks like a single banner rather than two buttons for two separate hatcheries. People interested in the first theme who click on the Snapper button will be confused and not finding what they want, people interested in snappers will be confused if they click on the Sweet Treats button.

4. Advertise! Check out Dragons Wanted and see if anyone is looking for what you're selling, advertise off-site, post relevant parent/s in Dragon Share threads and join discussions that interest you. You need eyeballs on your threads.

5. Feed dragons that are for sale. The two adult snappers for sale are in your HDen and at hunger levels that could cause a small lair to lose their well-fed bonus.

Finally, you're advertising to a very limited market--people who like unpopular genes/breed/color combos. In particular those maize piebalds are somewhat unsettling. You might have better luck with the pink/grey snappers if you swapped the primary with the tert colors to have elephant-themed snappers.

Hope this helps and good luck selling!
@Leafymaxis

First thoughts:

I love your breeding cards. They're a great representation of the the range your pairs produce and look cute.

Layout and organization is clean and easily readable, both hatcheries have threads that are easily found and relevant to your pairs.

Improvements:

1. Delete your bump posts after you make them. They'll still bump you up but won't interfere with seeing posts with content.

2. Blossom Brigade is a removed thread so you probably want to remove it from your signature.

3. Sweet Treats' image next to Snapper Hatchery looks like a single banner rather than two buttons for two separate hatcheries. People interested in the first theme who click on the Snapper button will be confused and not finding what they want, people interested in snappers will be confused if they click on the Sweet Treats button.

4. Advertise! Check out Dragons Wanted and see if anyone is looking for what you're selling, advertise off-site, post relevant parent/s in Dragon Share threads and join discussions that interest you. You need eyeballs on your threads.

5. Feed dragons that are for sale. The two adult snappers for sale are in your HDen and at hunger levels that could cause a small lair to lose their well-fed bonus.

Finally, you're advertising to a very limited market--people who like unpopular genes/breed/color combos. In particular those maize piebalds are somewhat unsettling. You might have better luck with the pink/grey snappers if you swapped the primary with the tert colors to have elephant-themed snappers.

Hope this helps and good luck selling!
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
@cynictis

Thank you for the feedback!!! Yeah I kinda guessed that’s what was happening, cause I mostly just love breeding my dragons that have cute or cool results to me rather than for broad tastes haha. I think I might spend some time playing around with my pairs though that gets some more consistent and appealing results that I also love!!

Again, thank you so much for spending time to give me feedback!!
@cynictis

Thank you for the feedback!!! Yeah I kinda guessed that’s what was happening, cause I mostly just love breeding my dragons that have cute or cool results to me rather than for broad tastes haha. I think I might spend some time playing around with my pairs though that gets some more consistent and appealing results that I also love!!

Again, thank you so much for spending time to give me feedback!!
xnw9ITX.png nQas4CO.png
@nightwind

Thank you so much for the feedback!!

I had no idea the blossom brigade was closed down, I’ll remove that from my signature thanks for letting me know!
Thank you especially for the general signature help!! I’ll try and separate them to make them a bit more distinguishable!!

I agree on the maize piebald! Usually I get mostly those reddish pink and white combos which I think look ultra cute or more faded creams, white and pink! I think it sounds like generally more work on my pairs is needed!!

Thank you so much for taking time to help me out!!
@nightwind

Thank you so much for the feedback!!

I had no idea the blossom brigade was closed down, I’ll remove that from my signature thanks for letting me know!
Thank you especially for the general signature help!! I’ll try and separate them to make them a bit more distinguishable!!

I agree on the maize piebald! Usually I get mostly those reddish pink and white combos which I think look ultra cute or more faded creams, white and pink! I think it sounds like generally more work on my pairs is needed!!

Thank you so much for taking time to help me out!!
xnw9ITX.png nQas4CO.png
@Leafymaxis

The color wheel can be cruel and surprising at times. I've seen a lot of breeders go for very tight ranges to avoid colors or else automatically mark dragons with those oddball colors for the exalt market.

Have fun with your hatcheries if you can--most dragons don't sell so breeding what you like is often the main point of a hatchery. I typically hatch a nest a day plus 2-3 nests in rentals and I'm lucky to sell a dragon or two a week.
@Leafymaxis

The color wheel can be cruel and surprising at times. I've seen a lot of breeders go for very tight ranges to avoid colors or else automatically mark dragons with those oddball colors for the exalt market.

Have fun with your hatcheries if you can--most dragons don't sell so breeding what you like is often the main point of a hatchery. I typically hatch a nest a day plus 2-3 nests in rentals and I'm lucky to sell a dragon or two a week.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
@nightwind

Yeah I feel like spending time with the colour wheel a bit more could help me haha, but idk there’s something fun about hatching some real oddball dragons that are almost ugly. Maybe it’s my emotional attachment to them lmao.

I genuinely love running my hatcheries so I think I’m already having great fun I was just worried I was doing something seriously wrong, so I appreciate the feedback. The market really must be so oversaturated considering how little dragons sell if they’re not fodder..
@nightwind

Yeah I feel like spending time with the colour wheel a bit more could help me haha, but idk there’s something fun about hatching some real oddball dragons that are almost ugly. Maybe it’s my emotional attachment to them lmao.

I genuinely love running my hatcheries so I think I’m already having great fun I was just worried I was doing something seriously wrong, so I appreciate the feedback. The market really must be so oversaturated considering how little dragons sell if they’re not fodder..
xnw9ITX.png nQas4CO.png
@Leafymaxis

It's the problem with limited space and endless dragon breeding. I've maxed out my lair so I have 605 spaces. I've been here a little over 5 years and I've hatched 4,964 dragons not counting the nests I've rented from other players. Unless people give up breeding entirely there's just no space for that many dragons.

Really, one of the best things you can do is to exalt other people's dragons. Not only does it gain you treasure for exalting (train them to make a profit) but it gives those players treasure and lair space to buy dragons you are selling.

I'm selling dragons at 15k-350k each and buy dragons at an average of about 6k to train and exalt. For someone to make enough off me to buy my dragon I've got to buy 3-59 of their dragons to afford what I'm selling. If I don't those players have to do something else to afford my dragon plus do more to make space for it to land in their lair. I'm just making it easier for them to buy my dragons.
@Leafymaxis

It's the problem with limited space and endless dragon breeding. I've maxed out my lair so I have 605 spaces. I've been here a little over 5 years and I've hatched 4,964 dragons not counting the nests I've rented from other players. Unless people give up breeding entirely there's just no space for that many dragons.

Really, one of the best things you can do is to exalt other people's dragons. Not only does it gain you treasure for exalting (train them to make a profit) but it gives those players treasure and lair space to buy dragons you are selling.

I'm selling dragons at 15k-350k each and buy dragons at an average of about 6k to train and exalt. For someone to make enough off me to buy my dragon I've got to buy 3-59 of their dragons to afford what I'm selling. If I don't those players have to do something else to afford my dragon plus do more to make space for it to land in their lair. I'm just making it easier for them to buy my dragons.

@nightwind

Yeah I totally get the exalting thing! It’s good to keep the cycle of dragons going. I personally just keep my dragons or sell them on for Lore reasons more than anything! Every dragon that comes into my lair usually has lore, even if it’s not written down.

Exalting is absolutely a necessary feature of the game though, and I’d never get upset if someone exalted one of my Hatchlings! It’s just a part of the cycle.
@nightwind

Yeah I totally get the exalting thing! It’s good to keep the cycle of dragons going. I personally just keep my dragons or sell them on for Lore reasons more than anything! Every dragon that comes into my lair usually has lore, even if it’s not written down.

Exalting is absolutely a necessary feature of the game though, and I’d never get upset if someone exalted one of my Hatchlings! It’s just a part of the cycle.
xnw9ITX.png nQas4CO.png