Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Highest Odds to get Unhatched Eggs?
Hey all,

I know the main ways of getting unhatched eggs, but (ignoring the nocturne and bogsneak eggs) - what has the highest odds? Right now I mostly scavenge when gathering, and I play the Coliseum a bit, but some day I want to do a big mass unhatching with a bunch of eggs.

I saw some people say before that eggs are easier to get in scavenging when you're lower level? :? So now I'm a higher level, should I just focus on the Coliseum?
Hey all,

I know the main ways of getting unhatched eggs, but (ignoring the nocturne and bogsneak eggs) - what has the highest odds? Right now I mostly scavenge when gathering, and I play the Coliseum a bit, but some day I want to do a big mass unhatching with a bunch of eggs.

I saw some people say before that eggs are easier to get in scavenging when you're lower level? :? So now I'm a higher level, should I just focus on the Coliseum?
he/him/his | GMT / UK Time
Talk to me about pigeons, snails, beetles, and tea... !
@noonline technically the scavenging level bit is true, but it’s only because you have a smaller pool of items to draw from when you’re a lower level.

Aside from that, eggs are so rare it’s next to impossible to figure out the odds of getting one.
That being said, I’ve had maybe three or four from coli, and the same amount from scavenging, so in my personal experience the odds for both methods are pretty even- however, you have a limited amount of scavenging turns, and an unlimited amount of coli.
Thus, the coli is the better option since it gives you more opportunities stretched over a period of time, you can do both, but I wouldn’t recommend it unless you’ve got plenty of food points.
@noonline technically the scavenging level bit is true, but it’s only because you have a smaller pool of items to draw from when you’re a lower level.

Aside from that, eggs are so rare it’s next to impossible to figure out the odds of getting one.
That being said, I’ve had maybe three or four from coli, and the same amount from scavenging, so in my personal experience the odds for both methods are pretty even- however, you have a limited amount of scavenging turns, and an unlimited amount of coli.
Thus, the coli is the better option since it gives you more opportunities stretched over a period of time, you can do both, but I wouldn’t recommend it unless you’ve got plenty of food points.
giphy.gifmFaXmCJ.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

art shop banner
KkcUijP.png
old wc adopt gif
giphy.gif

Lewis link and G1 sales
goVYTQR.pngRsZjiBd.png

ghost hatchlings
TwEcIUG.png[/url] Ae0MsB2.png

Wishlist

B3w2s5h.jpg

Pixel Pearls

giphy.gif

SCP hatchery
1g9awbL.png
Click for Don't Starve/FR commissions! [TEMP CLOSED] (Casual collector of 6 digit dergs!)
vWYFQtR.png

wHRV9DG.jpg[/indent]
@Noonline Honestly, if you wanna do a mass hatch at some point, you're much better off just buying the eggs you want instead of trying to get them all through gathering and coli. The odds for getting an egg are really low, and there are better strategies to earn money using gathering and coli so you can buy eggs at a faster rate than you'd find them, like gathering den/swipp items and training fodder. Also grinding coli for a specific rare item is not something I'd recommend because you're likely to become frustrated by the low drop rate, speaking from personal experience.

Also, if you can, wait until Night of the Nocturne 'cause about half way through the event eggs have dropped to 200g or less during the past couple of years.
@Noonline Honestly, if you wanna do a mass hatch at some point, you're much better off just buying the eggs you want instead of trying to get them all through gathering and coli. The odds for getting an egg are really low, and there are better strategies to earn money using gathering and coli so you can buy eggs at a faster rate than you'd find them, like gathering den/swipp items and training fodder. Also grinding coli for a specific rare item is not something I'd recommend because you're likely to become frustrated by the low drop rate, speaking from personal experience.

Also, if you can, wait until Night of the Nocturne 'cause about half way through the event eggs have dropped to 200g or less during the past couple of years.
1vAtYxM.png
3EXA1Nv.png
@Noonline

It depends on how much time you have and how intent you are on getting them to drop instead of buying them. Also, if you do both you'll be able to feed your lair while spending all your turns in Scavenging. As a side note, leveling up your other Gathering skills to max is generally more profitable than endless Scavenging.

Since eggs only drop from elemental monsters in the coli (who drop the same element they are) you'll want to fight in the venue with the fewest number of neutral monsters if you want them to drop where you have the highest number of battles per minute.

Georgianna's Coliseum Element Guide is already updated with the new Boreal Wood mobs.

By spending my grinding time in venues that I can 1-shot Eliminate everything or have easy bosses I've been able to bring my average up to 3-5 eggs per month. As a warning I typically spend at least a couple hours a day every day doing this.

If you're more interested in accumulating eggs no matter where they're from I suggest buying them from people who've already put in the grinding time to get them.

3-5 eggs over 60 hours is no more than 1,750g worth of eggs to buy (350g per egg). The venue with the least amount of neutral encounters is the Sandswept Delta so during your grind you'll make about 2,379,840 in hoardsell and perhaps 4 eggs. Total value: 3,779,840

60 hours in the Volcanic Vents (a bit less than half the chance of eggs) would get you a hoardsell of about 4,307,760 and perhaps 2 eggs. Total value: 5,007,760

That gives you an extra 1,227,920 to buy eggs with or at least 3 more eggs. The difference is even greater if you sell the drops to players plus the rarer drops that Maki doesn't take into account when calculating averages.

This is probably more math than you had in mind.
@Noonline

It depends on how much time you have and how intent you are on getting them to drop instead of buying them. Also, if you do both you'll be able to feed your lair while spending all your turns in Scavenging. As a side note, leveling up your other Gathering skills to max is generally more profitable than endless Scavenging.

Since eggs only drop from elemental monsters in the coli (who drop the same element they are) you'll want to fight in the venue with the fewest number of neutral monsters if you want them to drop where you have the highest number of battles per minute.

Georgianna's Coliseum Element Guide is already updated with the new Boreal Wood mobs.

By spending my grinding time in venues that I can 1-shot Eliminate everything or have easy bosses I've been able to bring my average up to 3-5 eggs per month. As a warning I typically spend at least a couple hours a day every day doing this.

If you're more interested in accumulating eggs no matter where they're from I suggest buying them from people who've already put in the grinding time to get them.

3-5 eggs over 60 hours is no more than 1,750g worth of eggs to buy (350g per egg). The venue with the least amount of neutral encounters is the Sandswept Delta so during your grind you'll make about 2,379,840 in hoardsell and perhaps 4 eggs. Total value: 3,779,840

60 hours in the Volcanic Vents (a bit less than half the chance of eggs) would get you a hoardsell of about 4,307,760 and perhaps 2 eggs. Total value: 5,007,760

That gives you an extra 1,227,920 to buy eggs with or at least 3 more eggs. The difference is even greater if you sell the drops to players plus the rarer drops that Maki doesn't take into account when calculating averages.

This is probably more math than you had in mind.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
@Noonline

Seconding everyone else: the best place to grind for any rare item is usually... the Auction House.

For making money, you can also go with leveling dragons to exalt instead of regular grinding. At least for me and with current fodder prices, it makes 90kt an hour in just exalt payouts (and when you factor in drops that goes up quite a bit), which is higher than the hoardsell rate for the Volcanic Vents. And this is kind of a low estimate, since adult dragon prices are still kind of high.

However, the egg drop rate while training is lower, since battling in high level venues is kind of slow. So if you're intent on getting the eggs to drop yourself, it's not the way to go. It also takes a bit more concentration, since the battles are harder.

I'm not sure what stones they have equipped, but just based on element, your Dusk would make a great Ghostlight Ruins trainer (guide). Buying all the items to set it up can be kind of pricey, but if you can scrape together the cash, it pays for itself within a couple hours.

This build can also work like a regular grinder up to the Volcanic Vents (use scratch on the Ultraram before Eliminating, otherwise one-shots everything except bosses).

And yeah, Night of the Nocturne might be the way to go. Egg prices, especially prices for Nocturne eggs, go quite a bit down in December.
@Noonline

Seconding everyone else: the best place to grind for any rare item is usually... the Auction House.

For making money, you can also go with leveling dragons to exalt instead of regular grinding. At least for me and with current fodder prices, it makes 90kt an hour in just exalt payouts (and when you factor in drops that goes up quite a bit), which is higher than the hoardsell rate for the Volcanic Vents. And this is kind of a low estimate, since adult dragon prices are still kind of high.

However, the egg drop rate while training is lower, since battling in high level venues is kind of slow. So if you're intent on getting the eggs to drop yourself, it's not the way to go. It also takes a bit more concentration, since the battles are harder.

I'm not sure what stones they have equipped, but just based on element, your Dusk would make a great Ghostlight Ruins trainer (guide). Buying all the items to set it up can be kind of pricey, but if you can scrape together the cash, it pays for itself within a couple hours.

This build can also work like a regular grinder up to the Volcanic Vents (use scratch on the Ultraram before Eliminating, otherwise one-shots everything except bosses).

And yeah, Night of the Nocturne might be the way to go. Egg prices, especially prices for Nocturne eggs, go quite a bit down in December.