Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Questions about scry, subspecies, etc.
Hello! I'm fairly new to this website, introduced by a friend! I've found it pretty awesome to mess around on (though I can't stop spending my treasure on random dragons), though, browsing the forums, I've had a couple questions!

'Scrying'
Now, I know what Scrying Workshop is, but, this is pertaining to some threads I've seen on the forums.
People show a picture of a dragon, maybe they don't like how they turned out, and offer a prize to 'scry' them. I'm just wondering what the heck that actually means? It makes no sense to me. What do these people mean when they say something like, 'Help Me Scry a Rad Derg? 50g PRIZE!'?

Subspecies
I've seen a few threads about people creating subspecies of dragons (even the friend that showed me this sight's got one of their own), but I'm confused as to what they're really.. all about? I see all the lore and the like, but, again. How does this all work?

Lineage Project
Again, with the lore. See all that. But have zero idea how it all works from there, even after reading some posts in said topics.

Any help to answer these questions would be appreciated! Thank you so much!!
Hello! I'm fairly new to this website, introduced by a friend! I've found it pretty awesome to mess around on (though I can't stop spending my treasure on random dragons), though, browsing the forums, I've had a couple questions!

'Scrying'
Now, I know what Scrying Workshop is, but, this is pertaining to some threads I've seen on the forums.
People show a picture of a dragon, maybe they don't like how they turned out, and offer a prize to 'scry' them. I'm just wondering what the heck that actually means? It makes no sense to me. What do these people mean when they say something like, 'Help Me Scry a Rad Derg? 50g PRIZE!'?

Subspecies
I've seen a few threads about people creating subspecies of dragons (even the friend that showed me this sight's got one of their own), but I'm confused as to what they're really.. all about? I see all the lore and the like, but, again. How does this all work?

Lineage Project
Again, with the lore. See all that. But have zero idea how it all works from there, even after reading some posts in said topics.

Any help to answer these questions would be appreciated! Thank you so much!!
@thesoulpvnk When someone asks for "scrys," they want you to plug a dragon into the scrying workshop, mess around with their breed/genes (things we can actively change to what we want on an existing dragon) and to show them what you come up with. for example, here's a basic g1 I have laying around, [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?dragon=42879377] [img]http://flightrising.com/rendern/350/428794/42879377_350.png[/img] [/url] If I asked you to show me some scrys, you would take her ID (visible on her lookup), plug it into the 'predict morphology' section of the scrying workshop, and maybe show me something like this: [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=67&bodygene=1&breed=4&element=11&eyetype=3&gender=1&tert=119&tertgene=10&winggene=13&wings=75&auth=179d95be6bb8e45f8cf17ac9d5e56544c135ad1d&dummyext=prev.png[/img]
@thesoulpvnk
When someone asks for "scrys," they want you to plug a dragon into the scrying workshop, mess around with their breed/genes (things we can actively change to what we want on an existing dragon) and to show them what you come up with. for example, here's a basic g1 I have laying around,

42879377_350.png

If I asked you to show me some scrys, you would take her ID (visible on her lookup), plug it into the 'predict morphology' section of the scrying workshop, and maybe show me something like this:
dragon?age=1&body=67&bodygene=1&breed=4&element=11&eyetype=3&gender=1&tert=119&tertgene=10&winggene=13&wings=75&auth=179d95be6bb8e45f8cf17ac9d5e56544c135ad1d&dummyext=prev.png
tumblr_pvk94uYqSJ1tq8ghao5_500.png
Pool/Neen • She/Her • Avatar
A 'subspecies' is basically (to my understanding) a user-based community made up of dragons that all share similar/certain characteristics. For example, I could make a subspecies called "tree ghosts" made up of dragons that look like trees and also have, I dunno, the white ghost gene. So like these guys could be dragons of that subspecies: [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=165&bodygene=5&breed=13&element=11&eyetype=3&gender=1&tert=2&tertgene=20&winggene=13&wings=33&auth=fc057a9ebcc0ad433804a6af043f30027dd8635b&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=0&body=56&bodygene=5&breed=14&element=11&eyetype=3&gender=1&tert=2&tertgene=20&winggene=23&wings=67&auth=11fb920fb3ea6bf0ad3ee79fb8770a51b0a427c4&dummyext=prev.png[/img] [img]http://flightrising.com/dgen/preview/dragon?age=1&body=53&bodygene=5&breed=9&element=11&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=2&tertgene=20&winggene=8&wings=48&auth=0129f0f2315ec4a785bbc590dfaca0933a2954da&dummyext=prev.png[/img] I think if you already have lore/characters for your dragons, and you're interested in subspecies, finding one that your dragon could belong to just adds to the pool of lore you can use for that dragon, i.e. you can incorporate the existence of that subspecies and its lore into your own lore
A 'subspecies' is basically (to my understanding) a user-based community made up of dragons that all share similar/certain characteristics. For example, I could make a subspecies called "tree ghosts" made up of dragons that look like trees and also have, I dunno, the white ghost gene. So like these guys could be dragons of that subspecies:
dragon?age=1&body=165&bodygene=5&breed=13&element=11&eyetype=3&gender=1&tert=2&tertgene=20&winggene=13&wings=33&auth=fc057a9ebcc0ad433804a6af043f30027dd8635b&dummyext=prev.png
dragon?age=0&body=56&bodygene=5&breed=14&element=11&eyetype=3&gender=1&tert=2&tertgene=20&winggene=23&wings=67&auth=11fb920fb3ea6bf0ad3ee79fb8770a51b0a427c4&dummyext=prev.png
dragon?age=1&body=53&bodygene=5&breed=9&element=11&eyetype=3&gender=0&tert=2&tertgene=20&winggene=8&wings=48&auth=0129f0f2315ec4a785bbc590dfaca0933a2954da&dummyext=prev.png

I think if you already have lore/characters for your dragons, and you're interested in subspecies, finding one that your dragon could belong to just adds to the pool of lore you can use for that dragon, i.e. you can incorporate the existence of that subspecies and its lore into your own lore
I'm not so sure about lineage projects, though, haha
I'm not so sure about lineage projects, though, haha
@Woodkid
No worries! All that info was awesome.

Seems like the scrying thing was what I thought, it just seems a little weird that someone would ask for that. But hey! I guess others got more money to spend on that sort of thing than I do.

Again, thanks!
@Woodkid
No worries! All that info was awesome.

Seems like the scrying thing was what I thought, it just seems a little weird that someone would ask for that. But hey! I guess others got more money to spend on that sort of thing than I do.

Again, thanks!
@thesoulpvnk

The reason when someone asks for scrys is usually because they want some fresh ideas from others. When we scry, it's very easy to stay within our own comfort zone and comes up with similar gene combo Everytime. And it is nice to get some other opinions to what else we can try. I've been surprised by some colour/gene combo that came up by others which I wouldn't try myself in the first place.

For subspecies, woodkid explained pretty well. But I would like to stress the point of having subspecies lore from a collector POV. The main things I look for in a subspecies is how they look (of course), and whether their lore is interesting. I've seen some subspecies of very pretty dragons but their lore was really bland, which is quite sad.

Lineage project, hmm... I don't think their are many who's doing this? I'm not sure about all the details, but it's usually involves breeding for a goal. For example, an old lineage project I was involved at one time was parasite - someone use a g1 as parasite, and breed it. The first nest all have this parasite too. And then they either sell or gift the hatchings to others in hope that they will breed the 'parasite' and labelled their first nests as parasites too. The goal is to see how far we can spread. That's an example involving many players, but most lineage projects are personal.
@thesoulpvnk

The reason when someone asks for scrys is usually because they want some fresh ideas from others. When we scry, it's very easy to stay within our own comfort zone and comes up with similar gene combo Everytime. And it is nice to get some other opinions to what else we can try. I've been surprised by some colour/gene combo that came up by others which I wouldn't try myself in the first place.

For subspecies, woodkid explained pretty well. But I would like to stress the point of having subspecies lore from a collector POV. The main things I look for in a subspecies is how they look (of course), and whether their lore is interesting. I've seen some subspecies of very pretty dragons but their lore was really bland, which is quite sad.

Lineage project, hmm... I don't think their are many who's doing this? I'm not sure about all the details, but it's usually involves breeding for a goal. For example, an old lineage project I was involved at one time was parasite - someone use a g1 as parasite, and breed it. The first nest all have this parasite too. And then they either sell or gift the hatchings to others in hope that they will breed the 'parasite' and labelled their first nests as parasites too. The goal is to see how far we can spread. That's an example involving many players, but most lineage projects are personal.
hatfrbanner-zps77e423a6_orig.pngpinksaphire-zpsf5iyzhbb_orig.gif