Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | How do the TOS changes affect Art Sales?
I just read through the new changes to the site's TOS and I have a few questions about the Art Sales section specifically. I'm going to copy and paste a bit from the page itself to help frame my questions since I have a couple.

What is the current stance on selling digital art of dragons on the site for USD?

Section One states: "You may sell your digital Services-related fan art or commissions for both "real world" currency or for Virtual Currency." That's simple enough to follow. However I have confusion over Section Three: "No more than 5 units be sold of tangible merchandise utilizing the Company’s intellectual property (IP) be sold for "real world" currency."

Does tangible merchandise cover only physical items you would ship to the buyer? (i.e, plush, sculpture) Does that also include items made with traditional media but given as a digital file? (i.e, a scan of a painting, a scan of a pencil drawing on paper) In short, does tangible cover anything made with physical materials or exclusively physical items given/sent to the buyer? Also, do digital art sales also have this 5 unit limit? From my understanding, digital art is not included in the unit limit, but a clarification would be nice.

I'm also wondering if human versions of dragons (gijinka or humanoid with dragon tail or other discerning features) count as being able to be sold for USD. Changing the interpretation of characters does blur things a bit, so if someone draws a human version of another user's dragon and sells it, does this also fall under the USD available sales?

If another user or even a staff member could help clarify this, I would be incredibly grateful!
I just read through the new changes to the site's TOS and I have a few questions about the Art Sales section specifically. I'm going to copy and paste a bit from the page itself to help frame my questions since I have a couple.

What is the current stance on selling digital art of dragons on the site for USD?

Section One states: "You may sell your digital Services-related fan art or commissions for both "real world" currency or for Virtual Currency." That's simple enough to follow. However I have confusion over Section Three: "No more than 5 units be sold of tangible merchandise utilizing the Company’s intellectual property (IP) be sold for "real world" currency."

Does tangible merchandise cover only physical items you would ship to the buyer? (i.e, plush, sculpture) Does that also include items made with traditional media but given as a digital file? (i.e, a scan of a painting, a scan of a pencil drawing on paper) In short, does tangible cover anything made with physical materials or exclusively physical items given/sent to the buyer? Also, do digital art sales also have this 5 unit limit? From my understanding, digital art is not included in the unit limit, but a clarification would be nice.

I'm also wondering if human versions of dragons (gijinka or humanoid with dragon tail or other discerning features) count as being able to be sold for USD. Changing the interpretation of characters does blur things a bit, so if someone draws a human version of another user's dragon and sells it, does this also fall under the USD available sales?

If another user or even a staff member could help clarify this, I would be incredibly grateful!
The unit number came about when staff was trying to shut down all the plush artists wanting to make Fr plushes because they were worried about losing potential cash in their own pockets for a product they've shown no signs of ever providing. So I imagine it's still referring to that specific feather ruffle.
The unit number came about when staff was trying to shut down all the plush artists wanting to make Fr plushes because they were worried about losing potential cash in their own pockets for a product they've shown no signs of ever providing. So I imagine it's still referring to that specific feather ruffle.
hwrXuRn.png
@IllusionsInsane

For an actual staff answer fill out a Contact Us form.

Otherwise, digital can be made in unlimited quantities; anything that gets sent or posted as an electronic file is fine; images, audio, video.

Tangible means it can be touched physically--basically if what the buyer receives required shipping charges or otherwise weighs something you're limited to 5 total physical items. Not 5 copies of each thing you made but just 5. That being said, digital photos of traditional art don't tend to sell well.

If you draw it and it's on a physical media (paint, paper, fabric, metal, wood, etc.) it's physical. If it's pixels on a screen it's digital.

Does that clear things up?
@IllusionsInsane

For an actual staff answer fill out a Contact Us form.

Otherwise, digital can be made in unlimited quantities; anything that gets sent or posted as an electronic file is fine; images, audio, video.

Tangible means it can be touched physically--basically if what the buyer receives required shipping charges or otherwise weighs something you're limited to 5 total physical items. Not 5 copies of each thing you made but just 5. That being said, digital photos of traditional art don't tend to sell well.

If you draw it and it's on a physical media (paint, paper, fabric, metal, wood, etc.) it's physical. If it's pixels on a screen it's digital.

Does that clear things up?
I want to live in Theory. Everything works there.

Have you checked the Gem MP for Gene and Breed scrolls before buying an AH listing from me ending in 5g?
@Nightwind

Thanks! That clears things up for me. I've been interested in opening an art shop for a while and so I wanted to make sure I had a good understanding of the new additions.

@TheGardenWitch

I do remember hearing rumblings about that a while back. I just wanted to be certain that the 5 unit limit wasn't USD sales across the board.

Thanks for the help, guys!
@Nightwind

Thanks! That clears things up for me. I've been interested in opening an art shop for a while and so I wanted to make sure I had a good understanding of the new additions.

@TheGardenWitch

I do remember hearing rumblings about that a while back. I just wanted to be certain that the 5 unit limit wasn't USD sales across the board.

Thanks for the help, guys!