Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Hatchery help?
I really want to start a hatchery and already have ideas for the color/gene themes and name. I think I'll be just fine with the creative aspects, but I have no idea how to do anything else! I have no clue how to do business, maximize profit, get started, price dragons, do a nice display, make a forum thread, advertise, etc. Can someone please help?

(Please don't ping me, I'm subbed)
I really want to start a hatchery and already have ideas for the color/gene themes and name. I think I'll be just fine with the creative aspects, but I have no idea how to do anything else! I have no clue how to do business, maximize profit, get started, price dragons, do a nice display, make a forum thread, advertise, etc. Can someone please help?

(Please don't ping me, I'm subbed)
Coddiwomple | He/They
SI1XSxk.gif
@SilverOwl125 Have you looked around in our Guides forum?

So You Want to Start a Hatchery
How to Make a Hatchery Thread
BBCode Guide and BBCode Fonts
@SilverOwl125 Have you looked around in our Guides forum?

So You Want to Start a Hatchery
How to Make a Hatchery Thread
BBCode Guide and BBCode Fonts
@Cynictis

Yeah, I was looking at those! :) I couldn't find anything about the art aspect though, since I have no clue how to do that stuff! Thanks!
@Cynictis

Yeah, I was looking at those! :) I couldn't find anything about the art aspect though, since I have no clue how to do that stuff! Thanks!
Coddiwomple | He/They
SI1XSxk.gif
@SilverOwl125

Look for graphics shops in Art Sales! Some make breeding cards (for the dragon pairs) and some will make thread graphics and logos and whatnot. If you want to make your own, check out Gimp and look up simple graphics guides (like the one I linked).

Just remember that you're probably not going to be great at making graphics to start--it is an art skill, after all. It's not as easy as it looks. It's certainly doable! But it will seem difficult at first, so don't get down on yourself if you're having a hard time.
@SilverOwl125

Look for graphics shops in Art Sales! Some make breeding cards (for the dragon pairs) and some will make thread graphics and logos and whatnot. If you want to make your own, check out Gimp and look up simple graphics guides (like the one I linked).

Just remember that you're probably not going to be great at making graphics to start--it is an art skill, after all. It's not as easy as it looks. It's certainly doable! But it will seem difficult at first, so don't get down on yourself if you're having a hard time.
I use this signature generator for a lot of my graphics, as evidenced by my signature. I think they look pretty neat if I do say so myself! This breeding card generator is a lifesaver. I also make use of some little graphics that are available for all users as long as they properly credit the artist - this pixel nest art is pretty popular among hatcheries and these pixel flight icons are handy too.

As for advertising, it's mostly just making your hatchery look appealing, remembering to bump it every so often, and putting a nice banner with a link in your sig. I'd also advise affiliating with hatcheries that have similar aesthetics or niches to yours, and going through the dragons wanted forum and showing people your dragons when appropriate.
I use this signature generator for a lot of my graphics, as evidenced by my signature. I think they look pretty neat if I do say so myself! This breeding card generator is a lifesaver. I also make use of some little graphics that are available for all users as long as they properly credit the artist - this pixel nest art is pretty popular among hatcheries and these pixel flight icons are handy too.

As for advertising, it's mostly just making your hatchery look appealing, remembering to bump it every so often, and putting a nice banner with a link in your sig. I'd also advise affiliating with hatcheries that have similar aesthetics or niches to yours, and going through the dragons wanted forum and showing people your dragons when appropriate.
8XINyeM.png-Homa3Wo.png-sCV73Cw.png
@Vely

I'm not very interested in making my own because I don't have the time/don't think I'd be good at it. Are art shops usually affordable? That would be a major decision factor.

@bisexuwhale

YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER! I can't thank you enough for giving me those links. Ily
@Vely

I'm not very interested in making my own because I don't have the time/don't think I'd be good at it. Are art shops usually affordable? That would be a major decision factor.

@bisexuwhale

YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER! I can't thank you enough for giving me those links. Ily
Coddiwomple | He/They
SI1XSxk.gif