Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Tiny Little Questions
1 2 ... 2230 2231 2232 2233 2234 ... 3161 3162
Hello, I just noticed this since I was writing a story for my dragons during the Thundercrack Carnivale, but isn't it spelled "Carnival" not "Carnivale"? I'm even getting the red squiggles saying it's misspelled.

Just wondering if it was simply an artistic choice or maybe a language thing. Ex. American people spell "honor" whereas British people spell "honour". And I get squiggles under "honour" even though it's a real word.
Edit: I also have one more question: what do the dragons do during each festival? Is it symbolic of major holidays for that month? Ex. The Riot of Rot is in October, so during the festival do they dress up for "Halloween"? Or since the Thundercrack Carnivale is in July, do they have firework displays as a "4th of July"-esque celebration? Or is just whatever I feel like making it?
Hello, I just noticed this since I was writing a story for my dragons during the Thundercrack Carnivale, but isn't it spelled "Carnival" not "Carnivale"? I'm even getting the red squiggles saying it's misspelled.

Just wondering if it was simply an artistic choice or maybe a language thing. Ex. American people spell "honor" whereas British people spell "honour". And I get squiggles under "honour" even though it's a real word.
Edit: I also have one more question: what do the dragons do during each festival? Is it symbolic of major holidays for that month? Ex. The Riot of Rot is in October, so during the festival do they dress up for "Halloween"? Or since the Thundercrack Carnivale is in July, do they have firework displays as a "4th of July"-esque celebration? Or is just whatever I feel like making it?
f3ddYmI.pngcib7xC4.png43VGxJT.png
@Wylla

Yes, it's a language thing. I'm not an expert on etymology, but after some research, it seems that "carnival" is actually the relatively recent English spelling. Carnivale is the original Italian word, originating from the Latin "carne vale," meaning "farewell to flesh," referring to the 40 days of Lent.

I'm sure someone can correct me if that's off-base, but feel free to investigate further on your own! Nowadays, both spellings are simply considered synonymous with a festival or celebration. I would guess that Flight Rising uses the original spelling because of its more archaic "fantasy" vibe.
@Wylla

Yes, it's a language thing. I'm not an expert on etymology, but after some research, it seems that "carnival" is actually the relatively recent English spelling. Carnivale is the original Italian word, originating from the Latin "carne vale," meaning "farewell to flesh," referring to the 40 days of Lent.

I'm sure someone can correct me if that's off-base, but feel free to investigate further on your own! Nowadays, both spellings are simply considered synonymous with a festival or celebration. I would guess that Flight Rising uses the original spelling because of its more archaic "fantasy" vibe.
XNtD94z.png

-
Robin Nightmares
they/them/theirs | FR Time +0

+[Wasteland Radio Hatchery]+
-
-
feleV0g.png PmVLgRx.png
-
Aw, cool. I just wanted to make sure since the Italian word was technically "carnevile" with an "e" instead of an "i". I'm glad someone else can solidify that with me.

It just boggles my mind how words change so much. Did you know that the word "prevent" actually meant "to allow" (pre means before and vent meant flow, so "before the flow" of whatever or whoever), but now means "keep someone or something from continuing". smh

Thanks for your help. ^^ @NightmareJudge
Aw, cool. I just wanted to make sure since the Italian word was technically "carnevile" with an "e" instead of an "i". I'm glad someone else can solidify that with me.

It just boggles my mind how words change so much. Did you know that the word "prevent" actually meant "to allow" (pre means before and vent meant flow, so "before the flow" of whatever or whoever), but now means "keep someone or something from continuing". smh

Thanks for your help. ^^ @NightmareJudge
@Wylla

Just chiming in as an editor and language nerd: NightmareJudge is correct about the word's origins (probably anyway, the word's so old etymologists are just kinda guessing, but it sounds right!), and as well "carnivale" is generally accepted as a "ye olde" spelling for "carnival".

To answer the other half of your question, there's no official lore on what dragons do during a festival. So it's all up to you!
@Wylla

Just chiming in as an editor and language nerd: NightmareJudge is correct about the word's origins (probably anyway, the word's so old etymologists are just kinda guessing, but it sounds right!), and as well "carnivale" is generally accepted as a "ye olde" spelling for "carnival".

To answer the other half of your question, there's no official lore on what dragons do during a festival. So it's all up to you!
@Dunkarooba
Thanks for your feedback!^^

Also ah man! That means I'll have to think of what they're doing and the settings "and the why's and the who's and the what's up fore" XD
@Dunkarooba
Thanks for your feedback!^^

Also ah man! That means I'll have to think of what they're doing and the settings "and the why's and the who's and the what's up fore" XD
1) Do hibernation spots count towards lair title? (like ancient, venerable, mighty)

2) Is there a spot in coli that has a higher gene scroll dropping rate?

Thanks in advance!
1) Do hibernation spots count towards lair title? (like ancient, venerable, mighty)

2) Is there a spot in coli that has a higher gene scroll dropping rate?

Thanks in advance!
@Maxwelll

1. No, only main lair space counts toward title/location.
2. No, they are extremely rare in all venues. If you really want to min/max, pick a low level venue that you can one shot enemies in, but you're still gonna have to be lucky. You're better off grinding for something more common that you need or want and being pleasantly surprised if it drops than you are grinding specifically for something rare like a gene or egg.
@Maxwelll

1. No, only main lair space counts toward title/location.
2. No, they are extremely rare in all venues. If you really want to min/max, pick a low level venue that you can one shot enemies in, but you're still gonna have to be lucky. You're better off grinding for something more common that you need or want and being pleasantly surprised if it drops than you are grinding specifically for something rare like a gene or egg.
Lz0bQAz.gif hatchery
training service
free money
lf xxx overcast g1
he/him or ae/aer only please.
psa: messages in cancelled CRs aren't viewable!
I'm not sure where to put a thread, basically I need people from different flights to put my pairs into Foresee Progeny and post the hatchling previews with their flights' eyes.

Would it go here in Help or in Dragon Share or what? ;u;
I'm not sure where to put a thread, basically I need people from different flights to put my pairs into Foresee Progeny and post the hatchling previews with their flights' eyes.

Would it go here in Help or in Dragon Share or what? ;u;
34788.png __ kai | he/they | FR+3
» selling / trading thread
» looking for accent wearers

Either one would work just fine. Dragon Share might be quicker, since it's a popular forum, but Help Center has plenty of dedicated helpers from different flights that can contribute.

If you need Plague eyes, I'd be happy to help!
@snackeater

Either one would work just fine. Dragon Share might be quicker, since it's a popular forum, but Help Center has plenty of dedicated helpers from different flights that can contribute.

If you need Plague eyes, I'd be happy to help!
XNtD94z.png

-
Robin Nightmares
they/them/theirs | FR Time +0

+[Wasteland Radio Hatchery]+
-
-
feleV0g.png PmVLgRx.png
-
Is there any way to see a dragon's XP beyond fighting in the Coliseum and seeing it at the end of a battle?
Is there any way to see a dragon's XP beyond fighting in the Coliseum and seeing it at the end of a battle?
Help I'm trapped in a signature!
1 2 ... 2230 2231 2232 2233 2234 ... 3161 3162