Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Anyone autistic/aspie/etc?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
@Abogado
While the DSM-5 got rid of Asperger's as a diagnosis, it is still a diagnosis in the ICD-10, which is used worldwide. Plus, many people with AS diagnoses prior to the DSM-5 (myself included) feel that it was removed prematurely. As I've said before, even if the only difference between classic autism and Asperger's is a speech delay in the former and not in the latter, that is a monumental difference in terms of neurobiological functioning. One reason autism studies have such heterogeneous results is because they're using heterogeneous groups and profiles. There's no standardization. And there are people like me who also qualify for an NVLD (Nonverbal Learning Disorder) diagnosis, where it's unclear whether the AS is really a form of autism or a severe form of NVLD. There's still lots to figure out.

On an unrelated note, I'm curious if Ice and Lightning have more Aspies than other flights, just because they have more stereotypical autistic traits. I'm in Lightning.
@Abogado
While the DSM-5 got rid of Asperger's as a diagnosis, it is still a diagnosis in the ICD-10, which is used worldwide. Plus, many people with AS diagnoses prior to the DSM-5 (myself included) feel that it was removed prematurely. As I've said before, even if the only difference between classic autism and Asperger's is a speech delay in the former and not in the latter, that is a monumental difference in terms of neurobiological functioning. One reason autism studies have such heterogeneous results is because they're using heterogeneous groups and profiles. There's no standardization. And there are people like me who also qualify for an NVLD (Nonverbal Learning Disorder) diagnosis, where it's unclear whether the AS is really a form of autism or a severe form of NVLD. There's still lots to figure out.

On an unrelated note, I'm curious if Ice and Lightning have more Aspies than other flights, just because they have more stereotypical autistic traits. I'm in Lightning.
SunsetMagnum.jpgFjgpNYm.png1j6wDhn.pngreHWBXk.png
I had a friend who was diagnosed with Asperger's. My best friend and I talked to him often and he was pretty interested in history and was very smart. He also played the trombone. Then he moved out of the school and I don't really know how he's doing, but I hope he's doing well.
I had a friend who was diagnosed with Asperger's. My best friend and I talked to him often and he was pretty interested in history and was very smart. He also played the trombone. Then he moved out of the school and I don't really know how he's doing, but I hope he's doing well.
fJ1MNlM.png
I have autism
I have autism
I personally used to be obsessed in biology and other forms of science, but anymore I've learned enough about science to know that while it's definitely one of the better forms of understanding existence around us, it's not completely reliable. This is of course because we base our scientific "facts" off common observations of how we perceive things to work, and those perceptions in many cases are incorrect or limited by us being human. So I've sort of switched over to being more focused on philosophy and psychology, since understanding human thought and perspective helps to understand how we perceive existence around us and why. It really does seem that aspies all do fit into a very science oriented stereotype though, and I'm not exactly an exception to this. As far as what @Hypercoaster said I could definitely see a lot of aspies being more attracted to Ice and Lightning based off the stereotypical (but pretty accurate) traits of aspies and those flights. I myself though am definitely a Nature Flight person.
I personally used to be obsessed in biology and other forms of science, but anymore I've learned enough about science to know that while it's definitely one of the better forms of understanding existence around us, it's not completely reliable. This is of course because we base our scientific "facts" off common observations of how we perceive things to work, and those perceptions in many cases are incorrect or limited by us being human. So I've sort of switched over to being more focused on philosophy and psychology, since understanding human thought and perspective helps to understand how we perceive existence around us and why. It really does seem that aspies all do fit into a very science oriented stereotype though, and I'm not exactly an exception to this. As far as what @Hypercoaster said I could definitely see a lot of aspies being more attracted to Ice and Lightning based off the stereotypical (but pretty accurate) traits of aspies and those flights. I myself though am definitely a Nature Flight person.
yep, aspie/asd peep here. actually got my official diagnosis last week after some months of investigating with doctors and psychologists and stuff :3

feel free to write to me if any of you guys want to chat. just gonna put a bit of PSA that I can be pretty foul-mouthed and direct with stuff and opinions so if you are easily offended or can't take opinions i'm the wrong person.

yep, aspie/asd peep here. actually got my official diagnosis last week after some months of investigating with doctors and psychologists and stuff :3

feel free to write to me if any of you guys want to chat. just gonna put a bit of PSA that I can be pretty foul-mouthed and direct with stuff and opinions so if you are easily offended or can't take opinions i'm the wrong person.

I'd woken up early, and I took a long time getting ready to exist. - Bernardo Soares/Fernando Pessoa
Apparently I was mildly autistic - which I suspect was Asperger's - when I was a kid, and I suppose some of it lingered but I've grown mostly out of it. Although I knew I was somewhat autistic as a kid and I knew the symptoms of mild autism and Asperger's, I never put two and two together, until one day when I seriously looked it up.
Apparently I was mildly autistic - which I suspect was Asperger's - when I was a kid, and I suppose some of it lingered but I've grown mostly out of it. Although I knew I was somewhat autistic as a kid and I knew the symptoms of mild autism and Asperger's, I never put two and two together, until one day when I seriously looked it up.
I have reason to believe that I'm autistic, but I don't fit all the conditions 100% so, shrugs??
I have reason to believe that I'm autistic, but I don't fit all the conditions 100% so, shrugs??
I don't know if I am anywhere on the spectrum. I relate to a lot of what other people tell me of their experiences and have done my own research to find I do check out with many of the symptoms. I am diagnosed with ADHD so maybe that plays a part in why I exhibit some autistic traits as the two tend to be similar in some ways. As a kid I was the distant, weird kid that had no idea what was popular or really any clue about anything. I was always the slowest one in my friend group and felt different from them. Now that I'm older I do have more social skills/awareness of the social norm, but I'm so behind of where I should be in life I wonder if there is something wrong with me. I'm scared to say anything of my suspicions online bc everyone's quick to jump on those who self-diagnose, and irl I don't think anyone would take me seriously either.

So, probably somewhere on the spectrum, but I'm filled with doubt.
I don't know if I am anywhere on the spectrum. I relate to a lot of what other people tell me of their experiences and have done my own research to find I do check out with many of the symptoms. I am diagnosed with ADHD so maybe that plays a part in why I exhibit some autistic traits as the two tend to be similar in some ways. As a kid I was the distant, weird kid that had no idea what was popular or really any clue about anything. I was always the slowest one in my friend group and felt different from them. Now that I'm older I do have more social skills/awareness of the social norm, but I'm so behind of where I should be in life I wonder if there is something wrong with me. I'm scared to say anything of my suspicions online bc everyone's quick to jump on those who self-diagnose, and irl I don't think anyone would take me seriously either.

So, probably somewhere on the spectrum, but I'm filled with doubt.
azag_sig.png
@Lineko I think people jump on the hate-wagon too soon, self-diagnosing (physically, mentally, etc.) and maintaining a very rigid stance on one's opinion tends to lay the groundwork for facilitating clashes with people. But the information is there and it's good to be informed, after all we know our mind and bodies better than anyone else. In my experience there is no truly "typical" presentation of ASD. Check it out for yourself if you feel that it would help you in any manner, even for peace of mind.
@Lineko I think people jump on the hate-wagon too soon, self-diagnosing (physically, mentally, etc.) and maintaining a very rigid stance on one's opinion tends to lay the groundwork for facilitating clashes with people. But the information is there and it's good to be informed, after all we know our mind and bodies better than anyone else. In my experience there is no truly "typical" presentation of ASD. Check it out for yourself if you feel that it would help you in any manner, even for peace of mind.
high-functioning aspie here
high-functioning aspie here
rrSy9NF.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7