Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Anybody know how to math? (Logs)
Hey so I have a test tomorrow and I noticed some questions on my homework that look like this:
log(x-3) = log(7x-23) - log(x+1)
I don’t know how to do that? Could someone explain how I solve something like that?

Thanks!
Hey so I have a test tomorrow and I noticed some questions on my homework that look like this:
log(x-3) = log(7x-23) - log(x+1)
I don’t know how to do that? Could someone explain how I solve something like that?

Thanks!
antlers_left_by_broqentoys-dcsi472.png X
Call me Six
Aromantic • Asexual • Agender
they/them
antlers_right_by_broqentoys-dcsi46w.png
i definitely know that when you have a log minus a log that means division

so it would become log(7x-23)/(x+1) with the log like, encompassing the whole thing

i think for what to do after, you just get rid of the logs...? and then solve for x, i think the main thing they want you to know here is that division rule

@SashaFiredrake forgot to ping
i definitely know that when you have a log minus a log that means division

so it would become log(7x-23)/(x+1) with the log like, encompassing the whole thing

i think for what to do after, you just get rid of the logs...? and then solve for x, i think the main thing they want you to know here is that division rule

@SashaFiredrake forgot to ping
FR + 0 - pls click them! ->US0Sr1.pngy2grU1.pngzEgVd1.pngunknown.png
@REOSpeedwagon Thank you! Just one question - when you say get rid of the logs, what do you mean? Just ignore them entirely? Or turn them into exponential things somehow?
@REOSpeedwagon Thank you! Just one question - when you say get rid of the logs, what do you mean? Just ignore them entirely? Or turn them into exponential things somehow?
Call me Six
they/them
@SashaFiredrake i know theres a way to remove them by like, raising the entire equation to be a power of e but i dont quite remember how it works, ive always just ignored them ;;
@SashaFiredrake i know theres a way to remove them by like, raising the entire equation to be a power of e but i dont quite remember how it works, ive always just ignored them ;;
@REOSpeedwagon Ok, thank you so much! I don’t know the e thing, but I can definitely just ignore them!
@REOSpeedwagon Ok, thank you so much! I don’t know the e thing, but I can definitely just ignore them!
Call me Six
they/them
@SashaFiredrake ofc!! yeah i dont really get it either lol
@SashaFiredrake ofc!! yeah i dont really get it either lol
Ooo I can help some!
So REOSpeedwagon is right about the left side reducing to log(7x-23/x-1).

I'm assuming the base isn't given, so they're both base 10 (at least if I remember my common practice). To get rid of the logs, raise both sides to be a power of 10 and cancel those right out.

Then you can just simplify away until you solve for x! First step for that would be multiplying both sides by (x-1), of course.

Hope this helps!

ETA: the reason why exponentiation cancels out the logarithms is because they're inverses! So 10^x is 10 multiplied by itself x times, while logx is how many times 10 must be multiplied by itself to produce x. Example: log100 is 2, since 10x10 (aka 10^2) = 100.

... sorry if I just made things overly confusing. I tried.
Ooo I can help some!
So REOSpeedwagon is right about the left side reducing to log(7x-23/x-1).

I'm assuming the base isn't given, so they're both base 10 (at least if I remember my common practice). To get rid of the logs, raise both sides to be a power of 10 and cancel those right out.

Then you can just simplify away until you solve for x! First step for that would be multiplying both sides by (x-1), of course.

Hope this helps!

ETA: the reason why exponentiation cancels out the logarithms is because they're inverses! So 10^x is 10 multiplied by itself x times, while logx is how many times 10 must be multiplied by itself to produce x. Example: log100 is 2, since 10x10 (aka 10^2) = 100.

... sorry if I just made things overly confusing. I tried.
ChALanJ.png
@rhapsodicDream Thank you! That wasn’t confusing, it was super helpful! Made much more sense than whatever’s happening in my math class.
@rhapsodicDream Thank you! That wasn’t confusing, it was super helpful! Made much more sense than whatever’s happening in my math class.
Call me Six
they/them
Slipping a thing in here - I don't think you need to raise by a power of ten to cancel logs? for instance if you have log(x) = log(y) you can just cut the logs straight out to have x = y

okay as i was writing this i realised yes, that's right; technically right before cancelling you'd have 10^x = 10^y, but you can just jump steps instead to make it faster.
Slipping a thing in here - I don't think you need to raise by a power of ten to cancel logs? for instance if you have log(x) = log(y) you can just cut the logs straight out to have x = y

okay as i was writing this i realised yes, that's right; technically right before cancelling you'd have 10^x = 10^y, but you can just jump steps instead to make it faster.
XgFzLz3.gif
Just want to post my own opinion since this post caught my attention. I hope you don't mind.

The general rules for logarithmic functions (with base 10) are:

x=logM is essentially solving M=10^x

logM + logN = log(MN)
logM - logN = log(M/N)
log(M^k) = klogM
log10 = 1
log 1 = 0
log 0 is undefined.

Good luck with your test!
Just want to post my own opinion since this post caught my attention. I hope you don't mind.

The general rules for logarithmic functions (with base 10) are:

x=logM is essentially solving M=10^x

logM + logN = log(MN)
logM - logN = log(M/N)
log(M^k) = klogM
log10 = 1
log 1 = 0
log 0 is undefined.

Good luck with your test!